[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
has anyone actually called a suicide hotline? Any experiences?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: 1.jpg (25 KB, 480x382) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
25 KB, 480x382
has anyone actually called a suicide hotline? Any experiences?
>>
I'm curious about this as well.

I'm going to kill myself tomorrow because my gf is cheating on me.
>>
yup. Told them I'm a 27 year old virgin and they scolded me for trying to prank them.
>>
>>28217907
If 20 minutes of talking to a stranger makes you change your mind you weren't truly suicidal in the first place.
>>
>>28217962
That's retarded, a second opinion can change a lot.
>>
>>28217940
>killing yourself over a girl

And nothing of value was lost
>>
>>28217982
>at least you're not starving in africa
>golly thanks. gonna cancel my helium tank order
>>
File: 1449892029757.jpg (133 KB, 780x818) Image search: [Google]
1449892029757.jpg
133 KB, 780x818
If you want to kill yourself, do it faggot. Stop searching for attention.
>>
>>28217982
from some dumb roastie who's just reading off a list?
>>
File: 1456341293082.png (510 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1456341293082.png
510 KB, 1280x720
I got put on hold for 25 minutes and then they just hung up. Seriously, fuck that hotline.
>>
I called a few years ago but could not speak. At first i sat silent trying to will myself to talk, then they would hang up. I would call back. Repeat process. Eventually i started crying while trying this. They would hang up when I would not speak. Sometimes they would ask why I was calling and all I could get out was "I dont know" and they would say something to the extent of "well give us a call back when you do."

I called them a few times over the last few months. The first time they helped me out, or tried to, by giving me numbers to some organizations to help me find housing, etc. (Was homeless then).

Another time they asked if I was suicidal and I said I was not planning to do anything. They said that since I wasn't that they were going to let me go, since this line is for suicidal people. They referred me to 211.

The last time I said I'd just like to talk to someone. They did shortly, then said they did not think there was much they could do for me, so they were going to hang up.

Generally unhelpful desu.
>>
Gee, guess all the suicidal non americans can just go fuck themselves then
>>
>>28217907
they just try and get your info to lock you up
>>
>>28218247
Well what do you expect out of them? It exists to prevent people from killing themselves, not be your personal shrink so they can patiently sit there and wait for you to finally be able to do something.
>>
>>28218247
what did you learn from it?
>>
>>28217907
I called my university's crisis hotline when I was having a schizo episode and they put me through to an answering machine kek.
>>
>>28218021
best thing about "mental health" services is realizing how little everyone cares, how easy it is to fall through the cracks
>>
>>28218247
> calls suicide hotline
> not suicidal
> gets turned away
well no shit retard
>>
>>28217960
Holy shit you should have recorded that and posted it on their Facebook, I'm imagining some nasty roastie scoffing at you saying "oh you can't be a virgin at age 27 hurr."
>>
>>28217940
So that she can run to Chad for "comfort" when you die? Fuck that. Break up with her the most brutal way possible and destroy her reputation.
>>
File: 141516434552_.png (327 KB, 405x347) Image search: [Google]
141516434552_.png
327 KB, 405x347
>>28218696
>record yourself whining about being a suicidal virgin
>post it to facebook
>>
>>28218696
yea that would have been a good idea except for the fact that it never happened you god damn idiot
>>
Boomp for stories about how bad society is when dealing with suicides. It's almost like they want us to die... makes sense
>>
>>28217907
called one after I swallowed a bunch of pills and tried hanging myself while I was hammered, the guy just told me to put the stuff away that I could use to hurt myself and that was pretty much it
>>
>>28218696
if I was a janitor I would ban stupid fucks like you really
>>
>>28217907
No, but I've called the Trevor Project 3 times and they really helped me feel better.

inb4 faggot
>>
File: Ellen_Page_juno-1.jpg (92 KB, 393x370) Image search: [Google]
Ellen_Page_juno-1.jpg
92 KB, 393x370
>>28217907
Is anyone else really bothered by this bullshit virtue signalling like in OP's image? Normies share pictures like this actually thinking they're doing something to help, when all they're really doing is patting themselves on the back for being, like, so empathetic XD

You're not doing anything by providing people with an easily-googleable number to a well-known hotline. You're not. All you're doing is making yourself feel good. Not to mention the fact that this hotline won't make you not want to die, it'll just temporarily, physically prevent you from doing so. The people on the other end don't give a shit about you, they read from a script and keep you on the line long enough for the cops to show up and involuntarily commit you. Then you get pumped full of drugs and released from the loony bin after a week with absolutely no improvement to show for it.

Mental health awareness is literally just a self-serving normie meme for people to do practically nothing but get that sweet endorphin rush anyway as they congratulate themselves for "saving a life." It makes me sick.
>>
>>28218662
>>28218510
I had attempts in the past and the thought kept reocurring, but I did not plan to do anything at that time. I called them to try to keep from getting to that point, and requested help finding/informstion on low cost/free mental health clinics.
If i got to a point where I was going to attempt again, I'd be past the point of calling someone.

>>28218528
That they are generally unhelpful for someone who isnt being dramatic and saying they are definitely going to kill themselves right then. If you are calm and reasonable, they do not know what to do with you.
>>
>>28218630
>fall through the cracks
Like what does that even mean? You got disconnected so you should kill yourself?

Let me throw some helpful advice out there that has kept me alive. Confidence is a lie you tell yourself when you wake up in the morning and convince everyone around you is true. You just. Believe it. As hard as you can and then others will follow suit.

When I used to get my panic attacks I would do breathing exercises until I calmed down and then take another crack at whatever I was doing. If someone was talking down to me I taught myself to ask them why and then ask them to stop and focus on the problem at hand.
>>
What do these people even need to qualify for positions like this?
Peoples lives are on the line, and according to this thread most of the time they just tell people to "try not to kill yourself?".
>>
>>28219394
not everyone is as skilled at empathy as others
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.