[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doctor prescribed Abilify for my depression I read that it lowers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: abilify.jpg (54 KB, 497x360) Image search: [Google]
abilify.jpg
54 KB, 497x360
Doctor prescribed Abilify for my depression

I read that it lowers dopamine, how is that is suppose to help me?
>>
it turns you into a LITERAL emotional robot

its awful
>>
Do you have bi polar depression? I had a doctor try to put me on that sort of stuff back when I was going through therapy but I dismissed the idea because of the long list of potential side effects (including man titties)
>>
Can somebody with a better understanding of psychopharmacology than me tell me how the hell LOWERING dopamine is supposed to help depression?
>>
>>28210949
it makes u feel nothing
instead of something (depression)
dont take it its not good
>>
>>28210949
It makes you feel nothing.
>>
You have a terrible doctor.
>>
>>28210965

This, your doctor's a quack and should have his license revoked
>>
>>28210875
I have a theory that depression is entirely dopamine related. Something that confirms this is that traditional SSRIs are no better then placebo. There are some that work on dopamine as well, maybe talk to your GP about your options?
>>
Antipsychotics are meant to make you not batshit crazy and/or violent, they won't get you from sad to normal but from dangerous to harmless.
>>
My doctor me SSRIs today. What should expect? And how about in a week's time?
>>
>>28211004

Saying SSRIs are bunk is a meme, they help a lot of people. My theory is serotonin has to do with spatial awareness of the world and people around you (among other things), which is why MDMA makes everything awesome. People who compulsively self-hurt and people who are deafened and muted by their internal chatter (like the depressed) do see improvement on SSRIs.
>>
Your doctor is trying to shrink.

Animal study on antipsychotics
http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v30/n9/full/1300710a.html

Also,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3476840/

If you can possibly avoid being on antipsychotics you should.
>>
>>28210875
Stay away from antipsychotics unless you're psychotic.
>>
SSRI's don't do anything. I'm on Lexapro and its been a little over two weeks and the only thing it does is make you tired
>>
>>28211182
MDMA also releases and inhibits the reuptake of large amounts of norepinephrine and dopamine too though. It's not all serotonergic.
>>
>>28210875
Nice,enjoy nothing anymore.
>>
>>28212241
This 100% This
>>
Abilify is a godsend man. I wasn't able to get out of bed before abilify but now I have two jobs and go to school.
>>
>>28215007
Ok pharma shill
>>
>>28215116
Hey man I'm just tellin ya how it worked for me.
>>
>>28210949
It lowers dopamine in some pathways but raises it in others. As well its also a partial dopamine agonist so it has inherent dopimenergic activity.

Also the bitch tits are fairly rare since it also has partial serotonergic activity.

Although it's strange he put you on this for depression. Is that your sole symptom?
>>
>>28211004
So how does buproprion factor into this? It has no serotonergic activity and increases dopamine levels.
>>
>>28215151
Fair enough,anti psyches are truly evil even if not initially.Take that from someone who's taken just about everyone of them that's on the market.
>>
>>28213501
Lexapro takes at least 4 weeks to start working, as do all antidepressants.
>>
File: 1292832831415.jpg (123 KB, 507x369) Image search: [Google]
1292832831415.jpg
123 KB, 507x369
>>28215007
hahaha your full of shit I'm on abilify and I feel like killing myself daily
>>
>>28210875
This shit made me feel like I was physically upside down the entire day I took it. It was fucking awful.
>>
I was on that for about a month
I felt tired all the time (could barely sit and my back felt tired already) and just wanted to sleep
After I complained to him about this he prescribed something weaker
Did not like my experience with it
>>
>>28211100
Orgasms will disappear and in a month or so you will feel like shit and emotionless.
>>
>>28215288
Take a look into buproprion. They're SUPPOSED to give it to people with depression who's main symptom is apathy which makes sense when you think about how doapmine works.
>>
>>28215211

>>28211182 here, while serotonin might be for a crushing inner depression some depressions can also just be the part where you don't want to do anything, the kind of depression that causes you to throw discipline and energy away. I started taking em before it was a struggle to motivate myself to go get groceries and look for a job and not smoke weed all day two weeks later I just get up and get them, I have three interviews lined up, and can be satisfied with stimulation from my environment instead of my head

I'd like to point out that I believe I operate normally on lower levels of serotonin
>>
Imagine being prescribed 1200mg of seroquel because of depression.
That was my intro to anti psychotics the very first time i went into psych ward.
I went from depression to absolute insanity faster than you can say "one who flew over the cuckoo's nest"
>>
>>28210875
>abilify for depression
What the fuck it's an anti-psychotic, it's for people with literally the opposite problem.

Go get a second opinion OP.
>>
>>28215320

They're also good for substance abuse like quitting cigs, the extra dopaminergic activity helps your environment stimulate you more which makes life less boring
>>
>>28215349
Gets second opinion,gets put on another anti psychotic.
Doctor's get kickbacks for shilling drugs.
Not op btw
>>
I was recently switched from fluoxetine to venlafaxine. I haven't been on it long enough to know if it has helped. I hope this one doesn't give me sexual anhedonia as bad as the last one. (Not that it matters anyway lel.)
>>
>>28215325
Per day*
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.