[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one make life an adventure? Is it possible in this day
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
How does one make life an adventure? Is it possible in this day and age?
>>
we are not permitted to choose the frame of our destiny, but what we put into it is ours. he who wills adventure will experience it according to the measure of his courage. he who wills sacrifice will be sacrificed according to the measure of his purity of heart.
>>
File: tumblr_np0k3qqaEk1rll7syo1_540.gif (1 MB, 540x520) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_np0k3qqaEk1rll7syo1_540.gif
1 MB, 540x520
>>28202772
Exactly my thinking. Patience is a virtue that I haven't mastered yet and I have fleeting faith that I will ever leave my cycle of boredom even though I am working against it. Perhaps I should dwindle into escapism.
>>
>>28202858

your detachment from the possibility that you might recede into escapism is an escape.

you live. this is reality. you have not escaped measurement, it is occurring as you read this.

the crushing weight you think is boredom? it is fear. look around you, at /r9k/. the fear destroys people.

strive against the weight. do not let your flame die out. you can find adventure anon. you can die facing the enemy. the heart which falters in the breast be damned.
>>
File: 1459981806243.png (42 KB, 813x520) Image search: [Google]
1459981806243.png
42 KB, 813x520
>>28202679
it is the one thing I hoped for ever since watching lotr as a kid, but this life does not hold any adventure
>>
You could trainhop, or become some sort of missionary, I guess. But to actually live an adventure you'd have to be willing to commit and lose on many other things. I don't think you will.
>>
>>28203062
Odd to see an anon actively try to help others.
>>
>>28203476

it seems like the only adventure you can imagine stems from a break with society. are you projecting, anon? have you imagined yourself a cage?
>>
>>28203782
I agree, I will have bias from my own sense of adventure and project it as my answer. Adventure is exploring something new, something potentially exciting. Society is known, it is not to be discovered. Which is why like you said, i would look for a break from society as an adventure.

What did you have in mind when you think of an adventure?
>>
>>28203845

my adventure is seeing clearly and living with sincerity. but i think adventure has to be the hardest thing for you. that's why an adventure requires courage.

would running away be the hardest thing for you?
>>
>>28203977
I agree that adventure has to be difficult, as I said, you have to give up some things. And most definitely it would be difficult running away. I would be giving up school, friends, commodity in exchange of the adventure.

Why do you find it difficult to live with sincerity? What do you mean by living clearly?
>>
I went on an adventure in the Pacific a few years back. It's possible, but not intuitive I think.
>>
I found adventure in friends. If you get the right ones, they can make you better then you thought you could be. They helped me with finding a job, getting in shape, and meeting girls. While also showing me how to live life up to what you can. It really depends on how you define adventure, but I think people can be the best way to finding it.
>>
>>28202679
Well,you could join the army as infantry.That`s an adventure of sorts.
>>
>tfw go on an "adventure" in the woods
>find a cave
>"explore" the cave
>no treasure
>no monsters
>no boss at the end of the cave guarding an ancient secret

real life is fucking shit and boring
>>
I said "just fuck all this" once, had a mental breakdown, and then hitchhiked halfway across America to Sacramento, where I lived with some pretty chill homeless people for the summer.

Ask me anything, I guess.
>>
>>28204132
did you discovered yourself?
>>
yea it's possible, just go somewhere completely new, i've got family in iran and visited there and it's a completely different world than america, i've been to italy also to visit relatives and that too was completely alien - you're not gonna find adventure in a place where everybody speaks your language unless you either break the law or do something really stupid
>>
>>28203777
Odd to see jackpot trips not checked
>>
>>28204132
was it worth it?

What made you decide to stop living with the homeless?
>>
>>28204179
I discovered that I like waking up with the sun creeping up through the edge of the camp, rigid with dew but warm everywhere the light hit. I shared a lean-to with another kid and the camp dog, so everything stank of fur and salt and the oranges that piled everywhere from public trees. I kind of liked it.

I liked being taken care of, being useful in ways that I could be useful, and not worrying.

Milo and I would walk Calyspo around 6 am. He'd let me sit in the cart and pushed it down the hill on the way to drop off cans for breakfast money. Calypso was a big girl, like 200 pounds of shepherd and something larger, so she'd run ahead of us further still.

It was a good life. I liked the person it made me act like. I was somehow younger. My name was Flowers.
>>
>>28202679
You can travel. I plan on traveling to foreign countries and fucking the women in the most humiliating way possible.
>>
>>28204218
It was.

I had debts to pay, and the guilt eventually ran too high. Those were definitely the best and scariest three months of my life, though.
>>
>>28204311
>three months
You should write a book, so I can not read it.
>>
>>28204373
Haha, maybe a blog instead. It would be less pressure, and a working draft. I'll think about it.

Until then, any questions?
>>
>>28204414
As someone who recently turned 18 and is about to get kicked out of his mother's home, what do I do? Should I become homeless?
>>
>>28204426
I lucked out. You should avoid homelessness at all costs, especially as a robot. There's a strong social component to figuring out good and trustworthy-ish neighbors, negotiating, and figuring out where gangs and police patrol and care and don't care about you.

You also shouldn't be homeless alone. If you're with someone else, you can keep a cart of belongings. Three to five people can adequately protect two carts. If you're alone, there's no one to take watch at night and you'll always be hungry and scared.

Remember that established groups are established for a reason. They're pros at this and probably come with their own set of problems and loose ethics. Once again, I really lucked out. Established semi-decent territory, good people, even a dog and some cats they let me feed. They really looked after my depressed, autistic ass.

Granted, I should have listened to them more often. I kind of fucked up once by being on the wrong side of the bridge at one time and got chased by Triads for a few blocks because I guess they thought it was funny.

So. Yeah. It's complicated, and something of a dice roll. Use it as a last resort. If you have to be homeless, figure out which city in your area is the best for homeless people. Research local laws and accommodations. Be aware that some groups will ditch you if you insist on spending the night in actual shelters, usually because drugs.
>>
I know this sounds like a Facebook macro, but if you want adventure, then do whatever scares the shit out of you. Whatever hair-brained idea you think of and then immediately think of practical reasons why you shouldn't, do that.
>>
>>28204030

sorry. i took a while to get back to you because i was meditating. i wrote that series of posts while in a dissociative trance. i hope that goes some of the way toward explaining why i have difficulty maintaining clarity.

>>28204576
hey, thats what i said.
>>
>>28202679

Well, you'll have to settle for not carrying a sword and not riding some kind of spirit animal.
>>
>>28204857
Dude when I meditate I get clearminded. You must be abusing some anasket if you're entering a dissociative trance lmao
>>
>>28204857
No problem, good to know you're taking care of yourself and working towards your sense of adventure, it must be fulfilling.

As for my own, I don't particularly crave adventure.
>>
>>28204857
Are we 4channing with Owen Wilson right now?
>>
>>28204857
Also how do you meditate? Got any guides? How did you start? I'm interested.
>>
>>28204979
Not anon but sit in lotus position with your hands clasped and concentrate on nothing. Research gnosis if you want more info and also look up arupajahna
>>
>>28204928

to clarify, i took some time out to do breathing exercises, and feel more grounded now.

>>28204955
im not sure what that means, but it made me laugh.
>>
>>28205005

i think your description is technically correct, but unhelpful. i just focus on my breathing.

if you're a hipster like me, the bhagavad gita contains instructions for meditation that are time tested, to say the least.
>>
>>28202679
It's possible. You have two broad choices - spare time or career. For the first, I would suggest getting into outdoor activities, and for the second, work/charity that will take you to foreign locales.

I'm into rock climbing, hiking and alpine ski touring. Sleeping in tents, pushing up hills to make camp before dark, reading maps, achieving objectives... I think it's pretty adventurous.

As for the other, it's not something I've done, but humanitarian and scientific missions regularly look for people to go live in the Arctic for 6 months, collect leaf samples in Peru, or teach English to kids in some remote Indonesian village.

It's possible, but it's not straightforward or intuitive. It's not a guaranteed income for the next 3-5 years, so it gets downplayed because most people want stability. But it's there.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.