[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Mars Colony/ one way ticket
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 7
File: marsexplorer.jpg (75 KB, 750x429) Image search: [Google]
marsexplorer.jpg
75 KB, 750x429
Future colonists get in here!

A Mars colony is now technologically possible. If someone offered you a free one way ticket... would you go?

Would you /fuck this gay earth/ and move your entire existence to the red planet to live and die there?

How would you feel being paired up with a personality matched female you've never met before for population growth?

What would you expect colonial life to be like?

What would be your reservations... what would keep you here on earth in your "earth life" instead?
>>
Fuck yeah I would go. Leave this shitty unpurposeful existence to become part of something great. Also I will finally be able to get some putang
>>
Go spend some months in Antartica with a bunch of desperate people with no prospects and you will see that your actual life is not that shitty after all.
>>
File: marsfem.jpg (139 KB, 634x610) Image search: [Google]
marsfem.jpg
139 KB, 634x610
>>28199697

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3126986/British-student-wanted-woman-birth-alien-baby-pulled-mission-Mars.html
>pic related

The real deal:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_One
>>
>>28199618
Fuck no, I'm guaranteed to die there. Theres no return trip, theres no chance of getting life extension, theres no reliance on automation, theres no new video games.

I'll bisit thd mars colonies after I'm immortal and soace travel is both common and safer.
>>
>>28199970
You're guaranteed to die here normie ... in obscurity and poverty too most likely
>>
>>28199859
I wonder hoe many people who sent in video auditions to Mars One were clearly desperate to escape their lives here. Must have been fun watching them all.
>>
>>28200054
Theres a slight chance we'll get life extension on earth. Fuck trying to farm on an iron rich barren dessert planet.
>>
>>28199859
She said that in college? Does she expect aliens to share our genetics, or to impregnate aliens without a need for grnetic similarity? Does she expect giving birth to an alien parasite to not hurt her?
>>
>>28200067
>>28200089
outahere normies

populations work in bell curves. if you live in the middle two standard deviations (i.e. mean +/- 2o) you're a normie

everyone else is a robot

the evolutionary point of the fringes (robots) is to allow the population to expand by taking risks

when the population can no longer expand the fringes get crushed into obscurity (r9k)

wild risky adventures like a Mars Colony are literally why robots exist (from an evolutionary standpoint at least)

consider if the earth were subject to a terrible disaster and the mars colony was the last viable colony of the human race

tl;dr fuck off this thread isn't for you
>>
>>28200197
Fuck you I fon't believe in any meaning to life, especially one as arbitrary and selfless as that. The entire universe will die to heat death or apocalypse, survival of our species has no impact on that. I have no debt to humanity, only myself to keep living and attempting to enjoy living. I may only enjoy living cause of video games and anime, but fuck if I'm going to try for social interaction or fame.

I consider the first volony to mars like early adopting. Theres going to be problems for very little reward. I'll wait as a leech off society.
>>
>>28200313
It's only very recently people have believed in the heat death of the universe.

Before the big bang cosmology was heavily pushed people believed in a steady state universe.

I think steady state has a lot going for it. Big bang doesn't explain where all the mass energy came from to make the big bang.

In steady state you remove the first cause problem by taking seriously the proposition that mass energy is indestructible and also cannot be created... the immediate logical consequence is that whatever mass energy exists now must have always existed and will always exist.

It also follows logically that there must be something equal and opposite to entropy otherwise the universe would have already become a homogeneous goop.

Since these are untestable hypotheses you basically get to pick your preference. I pick the one which makes there be some point to my minute blip of an existence even if its an infinitesimal point.

But you're free to pick the one where nothing matters anyway. Also if you pick that one why not just kill yourself?
>>
>>28200554
First, i won't kill myself because of survival instinct. I desire to be happy, and I can't overcome cowardice in order to end my life where i expect nothing will happen afterwards.

Second. Antimatter is a thing. Scientists have also postulated a multiverse due to string theory requiring eleven dimensions or something. There are and could be rules to the creation of matter. Though you are also right that there could be a force that works against entropy.

I just don't need to believe in something to live my life. I'm not rushing to end it for anyone else. Not for nationalism, not for humanity. I don't want children. I'm not going to do anything important with my life. I'm okay with that because I have to be. I'm not eager to jump into adventure. I'm not a man strong of character in anything but neutrality and occasionally kindness.
>>
>>28200784
>multiverse
>string theory
>scientific method

pick only one

>nihilism
>happiness

also pick only one
>>
>>28200893
I'm an absurdist. You can be happy without absolute meaning, and you can make your own personal meaning.

When it comes to high level physics I admit I don't know shit. I'm just trusting cause they're scientists. Do you have evidence that entropy is wrong? Cause if we're speculating I'm allowed to say string theory, and if we're not you can't say the big bang didn't happen and the law of entropy is wrong.
>>
>>28199618

This gay earth is a result of the people. The vegetation, fauna and landscape are beautiful. Bringing people to Mars will just transfer the gayness and make Martians press the eject button.
>>
>>28199618
>If someone offered you a free one way ticket... would you go?

Fuck no.

That shit is going to suck. Basically signing up to go to prison for life, except even crappier food and more dangerous living conditions.
>>
>>28201003
This right here to be completely honest with all of you my family
>>
>>28199618
Honestly yes, I'd be one of the most influential humans ever born. I'd knock up my gf first tho.
>>
>>28201003
this.

Only humans put through eugenics and augmentation should be allowed on the red rock.
>>
>>28200991
>science is what "scientists" do
>trust "scientists"

A new profession/class of priest has been created called scientist.

There is no such thing as a "scientist", there is only the scientific method.

Whether or not you know how to use it differs as much in the priest class as it does in the rest of the population.

String theory isn't real science.
Multiverse isn't real science.

How do we know? No testable hypotheses. Not science until you can put it in a lab and test it.
>>
>>28199836
This is something I'd really like though. I don't know what you have to do to get a job at one of the research stations but I'd love to get one.
>>
>>28201041
Is your life on earth so different to a prison with dangerous living conditions?

Honest question. Because I think most people here would say no.
>>
>>28201090
>Is your life on earth so different to a prison with dangerous living conditions?

I have high speed internet. delicious foods every corner. oceans to bath in. pets to own. people to meet.

im sorry i don't want to grow potatoes in the middle of a desert on a planet that has 0 life for the rest of my life anon.
>>
File: mars.jpg (533 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
mars.jpg
533 KB, 1920x1200
Living on mars would be a blast..
>>
>>28201062
Scientists have invested enough time and effort into the scientific method to be trusted as proffesional scientists. String theory comes from trying to think about what makes up quarks and other subsubatomic particles. It aims to explain what existence itself is. Thats as far as I know about the subject. People have tried to come up with tests for it I think. But I'm not sure if they did. However even if theres no explanation to be found for the existence of the universe in that theoretical idea, the evidence we do have points to a big bang, and it points to entropy being a law, which points to an end of the universe, though in a weird way. That's not the only idea of it's end though. Theres still the big crunch or big rip concepts. We don't know how dark matter and energy work either, there may be explanations for any of the shit we said through them.
>>
>>28201184
>scientists have invested in the scientific method
wow that's interesting, I guess that's why half the physics papers you see thesedays have nothing to do with the scientific method

>string theory comes from trying to think about what makes up quarks and other subsubatomic particles
and religion comes from thinking about how the universe might have been formed, but that has nothing to do with the scientific method.

>it aims to explain what existence itself is
no it doesn't. it aims to find an irreducible primary by wildly and unjustifiably multiplying entities with no reference to any testable hypothesis.

>even if there's no explanation to be found for the existence of the universe...
do you see how this isn't science? science is a litmus test for telling you if a hypothesis is true or false, probable or inprobable. it does not tell you why things are but rather what is and what isn't. you want metaphysics.

>the evidence we have points to a big bang
no it doesn't. the evidence we have is that dimmer light from the stars is more redshifted than brighter light. under the hypothesis that this is a doppler redshift the universe is expanding a several times the speed of light. it is on its face ridiculous. people who believe in the big bang are akin to a cult. it is not a scientific theory.

>big bang points to entropy being a law
big bang cult has nothing to do with the second law of thermodynamics which came LONG before anyone thought up a notion as stupid as the big bang

>still the notion of the big crunch
and here we go needlessly multiplying entities again

>don't know how dark matter and dark energy work
no there are unaccounted for observed forces in the galaxy. we don't know how the clockwork of the galaxy works. the mainstream cosmology is incredibly broken to the point that 90% of the mass-energy can't be found. then they just call that dark matter / dark energy
>>
I don't understand why they feel the need to send people to Mars.

Why not just send a bunch of robots with seeds to plant trees that'll absorb all that carbon dioxide in order to produce an oxygen-rich atmosphere? You know, terraform it before sending people to it?
>>
>>28201413
cont.

there's two steps necessary to conduct science:
>1. formulate an internally consistent hypothesis based on your observations which is also reasonably consistent with already well established fact (that is: facts which have been established previously using the scientific method)
>2. test that hypothesis using the scientific method

that's it. it has nothing to do with lab coats or math majors with ridiculously overinvolved overblown untestable hypotheses. it is a simple test of the truth of a proposition repeated over and over again

I can't believe how bad the cult of the "scientist" has become. Everything from man-made global warming to the big bang seems to be shills repeating shills at this point.
>>
>>28199618
The truth is, no one here would fit the criterion to be considered for a colony; you're all failures.
>>
>>28201477
nice dubs

>no one here would fit the criterion to be considered for a colony; you're all failures.

That might be the only criteria necessary. Why would currently successful people want to take a one way ticket to another existence?
>>
>Cold as fuck on mars
>-64F average
>Low atmospheric pressure means your organs would rupture without your space suit.
>Low atmosphere = No sun protection
>Any/all water is frozen/hidden.

Suicide mission.
>>
>>28201450
For one, terraforming doesn't work like that. For another, part of the reason that never happened in the first place is because Mars has an extremely fucked up orbit. That's why it only has the one ice cap.

Human life on Mars will be restricted to bubble-cities and what have you until we can perform engineering on a planetary scale and alter its orbit.
>>
I'd rather live in Antarctica at least there's penguins and shit
>>
>>28201603
And altering its orbit would almost certainly have a catastrophic effect on what life was already there, so the whole thing would be a giant exercise in futility. Not to mention the fact that if we do get to the point where we can do shit like that, we'll probably be looking a hell of a lot further out than Mars.
>>
>>28201450
People will give a lot of explanations like "to preserve humanity in case of a disaster" or "there's nothing like doing on-site science" but the real reason is just because we finally can. If you could go on vacation to somewhere wouldn't you prefer to actually visit instead of just seeing pictures of the place even if it's a detailed reconstruction?
>>
>>28201654
Virtually impossible to alter the orbit of a planet. You'd need to redirect a large asteroid which itself is virtually impossible. The only way you could do this is if you had a perfect setup like dominoes where a small asteroid slightly redirects a slightly larger asteroid and so on up the chain.
>>
What do people think if you were guaranteed two wives and 10 children?
>>
>>28201737
Why the fuck would I want children or wives? I'm trying to grow potatoes in my own fertilized shit until the next shipment of supplies arrives, jackass.
>>
>>28199618
>technologically possible
kek
>>
>>28201834
because that movie you saw that one time is actually how a colony would operate

hurr durr

>>28201842
same tech as the international space program just a bit further away
>>
Colonizing a planet is too costly, time consuming and difficult.

It makes more sense to just build a virtual reality in which our consciousness can be uploaded to, which mimics reality.
>>
>>28201413
I didn't say big bang points to entropy, i said evidence points to entropy.
>>
>>28202055
you did, sorry I misread
>>
>>28202023
>make a copy of your neurons in a computer
>die inrl
>???
>profit

how's this better than space colonization again?
>>
>>28201842
Even easier in some respects than the ISS because you have at least some gravity. They'd have to make /fit/ prepare the colonists a hardcore program tho, anything less than 1G will slowly but surely waste you away if you don't compensate for it.
>>
Who here /ExcitedAboutTheFuture/?
>>
>>28202394
Me. Despite all the bad shit currently happening in the world I will always remain optimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6goNzXrmFs
>>
>>28202394
Excited but also apprehensive

At each successive stage of major technology advance there has been some sort of resultant massive war

I expect AI and space travel will be the same
>>
>>28202114
>copy

no.

i'm talking about transferring the neurons in your brain.

Hell, we probably don't even need virtual reality if we can figure out a way to transfer our conscious to a body that doesn't need to breath oxygen or eat.

Once our inferior fragile organic bodies are left behind, we can truly explore the cosmos.
>>
>>28202394
I'll be long dead before anything exciting happens.

I hope someone invents time travel and brings everyone that ever lived back to life. Even a planet the size of Jupiter would be able to contain every human that ever lived on Earth easily.

Can you imagine living on a planet with 100 billion people? Crazy.
>>
>>28202870
transferring your consciousness without making a copy is most likely physically impossible. the best you could do is make an electronic neuron one at a time over a period of years to replace the wet neurons... with extremely advanced nanotechnology

maybe that would be close enough to the natural process of brain cell cell death and regeneration to still be actually you. but I for one wouldn't be game to find out lol.
>>
>>28202954
backwards time travel is logically and physically impossible and we shall never speak of it again
>>
>>28199618
Unless you have an engineering, electrical, chemical, geological, biological or medical degree, are in the top 1% of your field or have any medical or mental issues you won't be going, ever
On a long term mission with limited resources, any women along will pair off with the alpha team members, the leader, the hero, the lesser men will be left with nothing, causing anger and resentment, infighting and eventual collapse without a constantly rotating crew, why do you think Navy ships make port, or Armies hit the town, for the sexual pressure release, Best scenario would be to send a homosexual crew
>>
>>28203187
That's not historically how colonies have worked at all.

You might send a couple of engineers along but most of the engineering is already done before you go.

Modern day communications makes this even less necessary. Astronauts are not primarily engineers but rather survival experts and pilots. They learn some engineering but their primary training is survival training. If they have a problem with equipment they radio back to earth for help.

I imagine this would be much the same. All the biodome tech would be designed and maintained by experts on earth. Colonist's main engineering concern would be how to reestablish contact if it is lost. They would also have access to the manuals written by the engineers in exactly the same way space travel currently works.
>>
>>28203296
>>28203187
also I highly doubt alphas would want to go because they have too much good going on back here on earth

but even if one did go, it wouldn't be long before they are spaced. watch bear gryll's island survival show to see what happens to useless alpha males in a real survival situtation. the betas band together and push them out of the group. betas make resources and when resources are really scarce there is no way to hold up the deadweight of alphas.
>>
>>28201450
just some sentimental american flag planting bullshit
>>
>>28203596
>>28201450

People want to go to mars for the same reason the entire world has been colonized.

Running out of space and at some point it's easier / safer / more profitable to look elsewhere for space than to fight all the normies for the existing space.
>>
>>28203643
mars is a waste of time

theres no where to go

death awaits us all
>>
File: aku-no-hana-sad-2-600x337.jpg (33 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
aku-no-hana-sad-2-600x337.jpg
33 KB, 600x337
>>28202464
I desperately want to send this back in time to the early 60s and have them believe this is today's reality.
>>
>>28203676
>death awaits us all
so why so scared to live then anon?
>>
>>28203788
cause im afraid of the dark
>>
File: mars-trilogy.jpg (231 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
mars-trilogy.jpg
231 KB, 670x377
anyone read the kim stanley robinson novels?
>>
What the fuck would you losers even do there? You realize there is no internet on Mars, right?
>>
>>28204579
>take computers
>take satellite
>take satellite dish

30-60 minute delay but there would be internet

I imagine they would use the pipe to update a local cache of various content like wikipedia youtube etc. while it's not doing anything else.
>>
Living on a planet that's essentially dead sounds depressing as fuck.
>>
>>28204891
you live in a universe that's essentially dead
>>
>>28199618
as an american, yes i would. i hate the country i live in now, the regressive left is literally trying to destroy the constitution. i want off this bloody rock.preferably before shit hits the fan.
>>
Why would anyone recruit a /robot/ for Mars when there's probably thousands of just as willing and far more qualified people wanting to go?

>>28204165

I read those through several times as a kid, that is my shit!
>>
>>28202023
this is stupid in my opinion, you are sounding awful jewish. real men would fight for the opportunity to colonize a new planet.
>>
>>28204969
>Why would anyone recruit a /robot/ for Mars when there's probably thousands of just as willing and far more qualified people wanting to go?

Because it is a high risk one way trip. Why would people who have a lot of good stuff to look forward to here on earth want to go?

Robots are actually perfect candidates:

>Consider the long hours we put into finishing video games to completion and mastering obscure skills.
>Consider our tolerance to being alone or having only a few social interactions a month.

>Consider how we are used to living in small spaces with only technology for comfort.

>Consider how unimpressed we are with the base material world we were born into and how interested we are in science and technology.

I'm just saying anons, /true robots/ might as well already live on Mars.
>>
>>28199618
OP it depends on what's included. Will they send regular shipments of food and anime?
>>
>>28205737
>Will they send regular shipments of food and anime?
I really doubt it.

They'll probably ship you guys care packages from loved ones and stuff, but that stuff takes 6 months and costs millions of dollars to get there.

To be honest, the Mars mission sounds appealing because you'll be on a desolate planet with no responsibility, but on the other hand it would be a NEET's worst nightmare.

>nowhere to escape to
>no privacy (shits expensive to build there so you'll be sharing rooms)
>everyone else will be a normie
>>
>>28206206
>no responsibility

Everyone on the first wave of colonization will have to work really, really hard to establish and build the colony up.
>>
>>28206233
>Everyone on the first wave of colonization will have to work really, really hard to establish and build the colony up.

I wonder about this. You wouldn't want to have your marsanons exert themselves too hard. Medical facilities would not be particularly advanced and the longer they live the more useful they are as colonists.

Besides when we think of working really hard what do we mean? Doing hard intellectual work like engineering? Probably that would be done by engineers back on earth. Doing hard physical work like building things? Gravity is a lot lower and probably most buildings would be prefab / self assembling.

Not actually sure what difficulty it would be, but I assume it would be pretty mild to extend the lives of the colonists as much as possible.
>>
>>28199618
bitch, I would take that ticket and get the fuck outta here senpai
>>
>>28206374
this roboat gets it
>>
>>28206273

It's really idyllic to imagine that the work level would be relaxing. You'd be on a hostile planet, struggling to live in a way that no permanent settlement in humanity's history has had to, it'd be stressful and hard no matter what anyone thought it should be like.
>>
>population growth
Possibly dangerous in low gravity environment.
>>
>>28206513
>in a way that no permanent settlement in humanity's history has had to

uhh I can very easily imagine a carefully engineered mars habitat being less harsh than for example being homeless in New York in winter.
>>
>>28205737
Hm well a colony is unlikely to be self sufficient straight out of the gates. But also more colonists would be sent over time. I'm imagining they would send some sort of care packages even if just with each additional shipment of colonists.
>>
>>28199618
>homes in my city are 500k
>recently find out thats almost a million with mortgage
>musk says a 500k price tag for a ticket is reasonable

yeah I'll do it. I could put honest effort into my life if it was for this
>>
>>28208213
I think it also depends how many people were going. If there were about 200 people after the successive waves of colonists arrived then I think that could be really fun. Just large enough that you could in time meet everyone and not get too bored of anyone.

The comradery of shared survival would be so different and refreshing to the grinding poverty of endless social competition we face everyday on earth.

I think the colonists really would feel they had a purpose and the ability to reach it. And I think they would be happy. A lot happier than most people on earth.

my 2c
>>
>women will ever want to go
>>
>>28208280
I totally understand what you're saying

one of those galvanizing moments when a number of people are actually working together for something meaningful on an incredible scale

it would be nice to feel
>>
>>28199618
sign me the hell up.
as a robot, there's literally nothing I could do with my life that wouldn't be tedious, mediocre, and purposeless in comparison.
and a personality matched gf on top of the deal?
simply too good to be true.
>ywn any of this
>>
>>28208283
There'll be some who might want to go. Despite the rumours there are intelligent introverted fems... dare I say fembots.

>>28208345
>and a personality matched gf on top of the deal?
I think this would be key to a colonization success. Well matched couples are a lot less likely to break up or fight. Since the colonists don't have a large pool to choose from you effectively would want a group of even pairings so to speak. Divorce would probably be illegal since its not like you can just move out. Double edged sword. You'd have to trust the trip organizers found you a woman who really was personally matched to you.
>>
>>28208419
>fembots

figures

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>28208553
or
>>>/mars/

I've met a couple of fembots. They do exist. I don't think they browse here though lol.
>>
>>28200554
But the universe is observably expanding senpai?
>>
>>28208629
No it isn't? Expansion is an interpretation of celestial redshift. The universe is observably redshifted.

Redshift = fact
Expansion = interpretation.
Tired light = example of alternative interpretation.
>>
>>28199618
If I can buy ticket for return trip, then probably yes.
>>
>>28208732
No return tickets my friend

Mars gravity is only 40% that of earth but there is unlikely to be any sort of return rocket system. To transport a rocket to mars would require a much larger rocket. Thus becoming quite expensive.
>>
>>28208783
you definitely can; zubrin showed the feasibility of producing fuel
>>
>>28209224
go on...enlighten us
>>
>>28207351
>World World III breaks out because Kim decides to actually fuck South Korea.
>Mars One budget has to be cut
>Extremely limited supplies
>Have to decide who gets to eat and when
>All hell breaks loose as everyone fights to survive

Being 100% dependent on supplies being sent to you sounds shitty desu
>>
>>28209371
Doubt colony would be 100% dependent. Probably would use areoponic food production as free oxygen
>>
>>28199618
>after 50 years of cold war stagnation and 20 years of war on terror stagnation and no new frontiers left to explore, a new frontier finally opens up

AWWWWWW HELL YEAH LETS GO

I've always loved frontiers, they do so much for humanity. Plus they give those in society with this itch a chance to exercise it. I don't even mind the one-way ticket desu, even though it would give me pause.

Imagine the new society! Imagine the new languages! Imagine the structures, the music, the FLAGS! Imagine YOUR name in the history books!
>>
Distant, unsafe outposts have very different demographics from your average populations, heavily leaning towards men. If most places have a ~50/50% distribution, a Mars colony might have something like 95/5%.

The perceived value of an individual is based on its own characteristics, but also on the prevalence of other individuals of its same sex in the population. In other words, in civilized populations with a big majority of women men are very valuable and vice versa.

If robots are bottom of the barrel when in a population of 50/50 we'd be scum in a Mars colony. Our only hope is a big war happens were a big part of the male population is exterminated and we somehow survive.
>>
>>28210297
nigger what new languages, there's no martians over there

anyway I can't imagine we'd get a martian colony running before we got one on the moon. Even if mars turns out to be more habitable in the long run with geoengineering, the technology you'd need would be just as applicable a lunar surface and you'd probably want to test that shit out first before sending it on six month long one-way trip.
>>
>>28209239
I gave you his name, look it up u lazy shit. it's a 150 year old process
>>
>>28201041
You'd be part of something new and exciting

You'd get a personality matched waifu and you'd father a (hopefully large) family, your life would have purpose, meaning, and your KIDS WOULD BE MARTIANS MAN
>>
>>28201737
WE SPACE MORMONS NOW NIGGA
>>
>>28202464
>blimps on Mars
>FLIGHT WINGS
COOL AS FUCK DESU SEMPAI
>>
>>28203187
>FFFAAAAAAAAAAGGGGSSSS
>IIIIIIIINNNNNNNN
>SSSSPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCEEE
>>
>>28210189
If any of the equipment breaks or malfunctions(their suit mainly), they'll need to wait on the next shipment, which would take 6+ months.

Even a small tear in the suit would mean it cannot be used.

This isn't like living in Africa. They cannot survive without it.
>>
>>28199618
I'd go there, then abandon the girl to explore as a fuck you for leaving me with her
>>
>>28199618
I've got no useful skills for such an expedition. I would be a drain on resources.

I suppose I could participate in a study to see how useless neets handle playing vidya all day on an alien planet. Or if they need someone to impregnate all the qts while everyone else is busy working.
>>
>>28210530
Well engineered space equipment is designed to be fixable. It's not like the cheap Chinese horseshit you buy at walmart
>>
>>28201454
>Everything from man-made global warming to the big bang seems to be shills repeating shills at this point

What you're really saying is:

>I disagree with the scientists who study these things for ideological reasons and couldn't be bothered to actually research them properly. >Therefore, I'm going to make weird philosophical arguments and attack the credibility of the scientists rather than debate the science

You do realise that cosmologists know all too well that there are some huge holes in our understanding of the universe, right? Your assertion that the big bang isn't a scientific theory is pretty fucking hilarious.
>>
The idea of that the average robot colonising anything is laughable.

Imagine the build up of pissbottles in the inter-module corridors, not to mention the general bitchiness when a colonist keeps playing K-Pop in the early hours. I envisage a breakdown of morale after 48 hours.
>>
>>28199859
>One way Mars colonization mission
>Founded by a Dutchman

They're always exploring and colonizing and shit god damn even 300 years later
>>
What if exposure to the toxic fumes and poor atmosphere of their bedrooms, along with chemicals in processed food, has mutated neets to the point that they could breathe on mars?
>>
>>28200197
Hey that sounds really interesting anon, can you link me some good sites about this whole thing about fringe population existing for wild adventures from an evolutionary perspective?
>>
File: wives-wanted-5017.jpg (163 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
wives-wanted-5017.jpg
163 KB, 600x448
>>28208283
This wouldn't be the first time settlers have encountered this problem

>they are our spiritual forefathers
>>
>>28210664
what?

there's no way our bodies could adopt to breathing in carbon dioxide.
>>
>>28210664
Even if it were possible to breath on Mars, it wouldn't mean anything.

The low atmospheric pressure would mean any fluid on the surface of your body(sweat/eyes) would instantly evaporate. Your blood would basically boil. Mar's atmosphere is so thin that you also have no protection from the Sun's UV rays.

You'd be dead in less than 30 seconds without a suit.
>>
>>28210353
Isolation creates new dialects of languages, and separation creates new languages alltogether, my man.

It's why American and Australian English are kind of different, and why European countries that are separated by mountains tend to have different languages, even if they have the same source.

Sure we'd all speak English at first, but over generations new dialects emerge, new slang words which become real words, and new structures of speech are bound to occur on the more isolated areas.

But you're right, a return-possible moon colony definitely seems preferable to a return-impossible mars colony. But that crazy Dutchman wants to send us to Mars, and I want the first ticket out of this liberal hell hole, and I want to fulfill that itch to wander and see new lands like my forefathers did
>>
>>28210612
I'm a qualified physicist you absolute twat

You don't understand the arguments put forward and all you can do is run back to popsci sound bytes as the source of your poorly-informed second-hand opinion. Projection much?

Go slit your wrists and do us all a huge favour
>>
>>28210765
Yeah this is certainly true it's basically a hard vacuum
>>
I don't think robots understand just how dangerous Mars is.

It has dust storms that cover the entire planet..for fucking months at a time.

The dust storms are dangerous because it blocks out sunlight, meaning anything solar powered would stop functioning. This means no power.

Even if they had replacements, they better hope they have enough replacements to last however long the storm is.

Too risky
>>
File: 1459097274536.jpg (220 KB, 1200x795) Image search: [Google]
1459097274536.jpg
220 KB, 1200x795
Get in the spaceship.
We're going to Mars.
Now.
>>
>>28211024
No atmosphere = very mild storms

But yes you would almost certainly want nuclear power
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.