[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>32yo NEET, unemployed for 7 years >thinking of applying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
>32yo NEET, unemployed for 7 years
>thinking of applying to walmart as an overnight stockbitch because a cool anon said it paid $11/hr
what else are my options? I'd sell boipussy, but idk what the going rate is and guys are creepy.
>>
>>28189076
tfw Wendy will never make you lick her red carpet
>>
>>28189076
Join a trade. Electrician, HVAC, meat cutter, welder, construction, logger, fisher, roughneck.
You can be a felon without a high school diploma and end up with a semi-decent job. It really comes down to your work ethic though because a lot of trades will really ride on slackers until they quit
>>
>>28189076

>You can be a felon without a high school diploma and end up with a semi-decent job

I thought if you guys in america had something in your record you would be fucked for life.
Thats good though. Makes no sense not allowing someone to do something honest for a change.
>>
>>28189200
nah that's only for uptight white collar work

blue collar doesn't care as long as you don't do anything outrageously illegal on the job
>>
>>28189147
Anyone know how HVAC is? I'm afraid to be an electrician due to getting shocked, and a welder due to fucking up my eyes or breathing in fumes.
>>
>>28189200

probably depends heavily on locale and what youre willing to work as

there are a lot of spoiled people with totally pointless office jobs which don't actually require skills of any sort so naturally they won't get hired to those sorts of jobs anymroe and they view actual work as beneath them
>>
>>28189246

there's so many regulations that i seriously doubt stuff like that happens often unless you massively fuck up
>>
>>28189246
if you're afraid of getting shocked wear gloves you pussy
>>
File: 1368281280105.jpg (195 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
1368281280105.jpg
195 KB, 500x484
>>28189271
>>28189280

IDK, even with proper safety precautions and regulations, shit goes down anyway out of your control. Plus, a welder I knew would have eye troubles and would have to call in for recovery time and have the lights turned off at his house. Plus, despite regulations, his boss or whatever didn't have proper ventilation, so he breathed in toxic fumes.

I just wanna be able to buy shit and move the fuck out of my parents' house.
>>
>>28189337
well then just don't be a welder

if you don't wanna deal with the hazards some trades bring try masonry
>>
>>28189200
Oh no not at all. I'm a meat cutter with a clean record but there's a few guys I work with that kinda showed me the type of people who can get in. One guy learned how to cut meat in prison. He was charged with armed kidnapping. Another guy was in and out for drug use. Passed out on the cutting table in a pool of blood (not his) high on morphine. Countless other guys I've worked with are criminals but are cool guys all in all
>>28189238
This exactly. Don't come to work high or drunk, get the job done and do your shit on your own time
>>28189246
Other than handling freyon and soldering copper pipes there's not much danger. But you will be doing minor electrical work in wet conditions. It's not hard to not get shocked though. Don't work on anything that has live power, and don't ground yourself out which you will learn if you choose the path
>>28189251
All the spoiled office jobs are for the blue bloods of the higher ups. You never worked a day in your life on the job yet you know on paper how the job gets done. We laugh at guys like this because no matter how much they want to threaten us for our jobs they'll never have it. They are just annoying because they stop production for an hour tops
>>28189271
With all the OSHA, Union, and company regulations it's pretty hard to fuck yourself up. Only people who get hurt are idiots that disregard general safety. There are the small % that get hurt for something that the company should have addressed though
>>
>>28189147
Don't you need experience for most of those jobs you listed?
>>
>>28189459
if you can afford trade school they teach you what you need then set you up with an apprenticeship
>>
File: 2D9797804-ss-130808-twics-08.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
2D9797804-ss-130808-twics-08.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1001
>>28189442
How much do you make as a meat cutter? Can you live independently and comfortably off it? Do they drug test? Can you see yourself doing it for life?
>>
Can I ask what to do when you have literally nothing to put on a resume aside from saying you finished highschool

I had one job in my life for a year and I left on shitty circumstances
I have 0 references and 0 friends to help my lie about it
I am a university drop out and have done effectively nothing for almost 3 years

What the fuck do I put on a resume
>>
>>28189504
>do they drug test

m8 if you wanna job put the drugs down
>>
>>28189459
No, every trade has entry level work. That's what apprenticeships are all about, starting with zero knowledge and working your way up. I started off cleaning at night, then working mornings wrapping packages (this is where your basic learning really starts), then I apprenticed under a journeyman which lead to opportunities with other small outside jobs breaking swine and beef. Now I'm a journeyman. Most trades will start you off with bitch work to test your ethic, then you will become a material handler of some sort so you at least know what you're working with then from there you start applying your knowledge of said materials to their practical use until you're a journeyman who can work unsupervised
>>
>>28189577
I literally haven't smoked weed in 2 years and am otherwise clean. Just wondering for future reference should I need to cope in a shitty way...
>>
>>28189504
I currently make ~46k/yr, but it fluctuates a lot since unions have a lot of rules on overtime which are beneficial to you. 1.5x for every hour before 5AM 1.5x for every hour over 8 hour shift 2x for every hour over 40 in a week. You don't have to but you can work overtime if you'd like. I'm trying to go corporate before I turn 30 and hop on a salary 70k position though. I live in Southern California as a single guy with no kids. I have a comfy life and I don't struggle for money living check to check
>>
>>28189591

where do you find jobs like that? any job thats posted on craigslist or whatever has a ton of applications
>>
File: 1407771913995.jpg (656 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1407771913995.jpg
656 KB, 2048x1536
>>28189591
do you get special job perks like taking home off cuts, like unwanted meat, organs, and bones?
>>
>>28189504
You will have an initial drug test to be hired in. Could be a swab, blood, pee, follicle, or sweat gland test. Just get off everything but the liquor for a month if you can. Once you're in they'll only test you if you give them a solid reason, usually an accident so if you show dirty they don't have to pay you disability saying it was your fault being high on the job. Other than that random drug testing is expensive and most companies don't have the funds to just test for shits and giggles
>>
>>28189337
M8 i was neet before
Now i work as welder/mechanic since 3 years and i can tell you that this is bullshit, if you follow savety rules nothing will happen
>>
>>28189721
Craigslist is a start but usually you can just look up the local union for your area and apply. Just be ready to do your application process and drug test the moment you apply because they can call you tomorrow and don't like giving out a second chance. There's always a demand for electricians, HVAC and construction related jobs (general CW, plumbing, carpentry and masonry). Meat cutting is harder to get in to because it's dominated by the grocery industry unless you know a local independent butcher shop that is hiring.
>>28189723
Nothing is really free because we have a purpose for everything, even the off cuts which will go in to sausage. Bones we know we can sell to people for their dogs. End cuts of bruised up meat turn into hamburger. But if you're smart about it you can walk away with some top notch steaks for a good price. I can take home a prime grade ribeye steak for a couple bucks where for any other consumer it's $20+. Why? I'm not going to charge myself for the labor of cutting trimming packing and packaging supplies. I'll charge myself for wholesale price because my shop won't lose money on it because I'll make my money back on the gross profit by selling the rest of the primal to the consumer at the proper price
>>
File: 1418994266556.jpg (197 KB, 642x482) Image search: [Google]
1418994266556.jpg
197 KB, 642x482
>>28189968
Thanks for all your contributions to this thread. You're a cool dude.
>>
>>28189968

do they have part time work if i go to a union? im not sure if im ready to wake up at 4am 5 days a week yet
>>
Get some shit IT job. Like manager a small office's network or something
>>
File: 1386455560440.gif (154 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1386455560440.gif
154 KB, 360x360
>>28189076
iktf bro

>thinking of becoming a nurse
>get to be around qts all day
>hear about shitty pay for the work, workplace drama, and shitty, gross patients

>thinking of getting into IT because of potential work from home situations and being able to shitpost and game/browse the internet during downtime
>heard it's insanely boring and stressful
>hear of always having to learn new shit and stay up to date on certs
>hear of shitty pay and getting replaced/outsourced by pajeet or someone less experienced but cheaper, and they cuck you by having you train your replacement
>>
File: o-WENDY-THOMAS-570.jpg (66 KB, 570x427) Image search: [Google]
o-WENDY-THOMAS-570.jpg
66 KB, 570x427
>>28189111
Wendy is an actual person. Here's the real life picture the logo was based off of.
>>
>>28190142
Any time man
>>28190173
You can start off that way during your material handling but most Union trade work is viewed as a career opposed to a job so it's frowned upon and doesn't let you excel as quick. Trade jobs usually base your pay and apprenticeship level on hours worked but you can sometimes get bumped for your work ethic. It's hard to approach it that way though since you aren't the only guy busting tail on the job. There are different shifts to be worked though each having different starting times. First shift, second shift, swing shift, and graveyard. I work first shift and I'll say I definitely like it more than when I worked any other. You get up early and you're tired yes but eventually you just learn that being tired really sucks so you go to bed at a decent time. I'll get up at 5 and work 6-230 which I like since there isn't much I'd rather be doing first thing in the morning but I still have my afternoon to go out and do my fun stuffs
>>
>>28190266
Stop thinking so much and do something. Everything has shitty parts, Jesus Christ... Man up you fucking baby.
>>
>>28189442
How did you become a meat cutter? Seems like a comfy job
>>
>>28190219

getting jobs like that without experience is impossible given how many people spam resumes that they flat out lie on most of the time
>>
>>28190765
Well OP should lie about his experience too. I'm assuming he has the skills necessary ofc.
>>
>>28190561
I didn't do very well in high school so I figured I'd drop out and get my GED while I looked for a job. Got my GED with a little bit of savings I had working construction for my friend's dad. Found an opening as a meat department closer about a week after I passed my test. Busted my ass and had an open schedule which the boss saw as potential since he knew I had nothing else going on with my life. Learned all the different cuts of meat during wrapping and I always did things right the first time and got it done quick. After a bit of that he wanted me to be his apprentice which I took up. He's an old timer and referred me to some guys he knew from back in the day that ran an independent butcher shop. He'd give me a day off so I could go learn how to break beef and swine at the independent as a little under the table pay but mostly some good knowledge. I kept up with the work and learned everything I could at my home store as well as the small mom and pop shop. Hard work paid off and now I'm a journeyman meat cutter. It wasn't easy but I reflect back on it and I'm glad I chose this route opposed to further schooling because I was never an academic guy. My boss is a really good department manager and he knows how to make numbers (gross profit and product losses) work in his favor which I've picked up on really well. The mom and pop shop taught me how to cut some really good looking meat while minimalizing waste. Balancing a whole piece of meat for roasts, steaks, end cuts for overage meat (stewing chunks and stir fry strips) and how to balance fat which which normally gets tossed out into the trimmings you'd use to make ground beef

I gotta get out of here I hope you guys got some useful information out of this thread I really enjoyed answering your questions have a good one
>>
>>28189577
I used to come to work high every single day. As IT support. Nobody noticed shit. They were thinking I am just autistic. I wasn't even fired I just left
>>
>>28189076
are you me?

>walmart
been there dont that, it's actually a nice place to work, you basically get paid $11 an hour to talk to chicks and milfs all day.
>>
>>28192288
not over here. I live in a black city, so not as many qts.
>>
>>28189076
Oh what i would give to be Ronald in that picture ;_;
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.