[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
any robots musicians here? has it helped you be less robot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 12
File: hAjBKBH.jpg (188 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
hAjBKBH.jpg
188 KB, 720x720
any robots musicians here?

has it helped you be less robot in any ways?

any good stories regarding your musicianship?
>>
I rap, its helped me not succumb to total isolation since I have the house to myself sometimes and we can smoke and make trap music all night.
>>
File: 1461536062624.jpg (77 KB, 680x907) Image search: [Google]
1461536062624.jpg
77 KB, 680x907
I'm a one-man-metal-band. I play guitar and sing, but I write everything else and record it myself. Now that I'm approaching wizard hood at 28, I've really been using music to express what life has been like for me. People seem to like it, and it's nice telling the world to its face how terrible it is for me.
>>
I play guitar. Before I got homeschooled, I used to bring my acoustic to school everyday and made lots of friends because of it. At lunch, I'd have a group of followers who'd come and listen to me play. I met someone who browses this board as well during this time. I wonder if he'll see this and recognize who I am?

I didn't learn to play to make friends though. I was already playing before that.
>>
>>28187963
Just to add to this, I'm currently 18, in case some idiot assumes otherwise.
>>
I've been playing guitar for years but never in front of anyone.
>>
>>28187925

The best part is when people will actually buy it for normiebux, desu baka senpai
>>
>>28187996

as stupid as it sounds you should try busking, you get a ton of xp in the performance department, and a couple extra $$$
>>
File: image.jpg (217 KB, 750x630) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217 KB, 750x630
>>28187766
Playing music hasn't made me any less of an outcast but it has been a huge positive change in my life. For starters, playing music is just nice. Had some real amazing moments when I just played all the feels out. That's the primary reason to play IMO.

The more indirect benefits are that it made me a lot more confident to have improved and learned a new skill. I completely taught myself and in just a year and a half I was actually outplaying people who claimed to have played for years. I noticed myself become more confident as I improved more.

Also some great moments have come out of the few times I played in front of people. It's nice to see looks of awe on their face. I've brought people to tears when i played piano for them which felt really nice, like now they felt a bit of my pain, just for a moment.

It's nice because a lot of people look down on me as a loser and a nobody, but then they hear me playing and it blows their mind. I remember one time a girl I went to high school with heard me and I remember the way she looked at me. Surprised and impressed.

Music is great for us outcasts because we have tons of time alone to practice and also i think tons of emotion to tap into. Just pouring your soul into your playing, the years of exclusion and loneliness, it's something else man. I think if you're unattractive and have no social life, you should at least have something to show for all the time you spent alone instead of hanging out with friends
>>
>>28188087

>Music is great for us outcasts because we have tons of time alone to practice and also i think tons of emotion to tap into. Just pouring your soul into your playing, the years of exclusion and loneliness, it's something else man. I think if you're unattractive and have no social life, you should at least have something to show for all the time you spent alone instead of hanging out with friends

ya summed it up dude
>>
I've played guitar for years and just recently got into using abelton live to make some beats. It's s relief from the shit storm called life
>>
I play electric guitar but unfortunately I don't know any girls I could impress.
>>
>>28188196
make a vocaroo of some of your shit so we can hear it famiglia
>>
>>28187925
Post your music, please
>>
i've played on and off in cover bands for like 10 years. it's a mix of fun and annoying. fun when you play songs you enjoy and nail them, annoying when you have to play a song you hate because another band member wants to do it.

i honestly have more fun practicing with the band than performing.

can't say it has helped in any aspect of my life,
>>
>>28188352

idk man, something about performance is great because nobody knows I'm actually a pretty huge loser when I actually get on a stage and stuff. I feel like I have drunk confidence after I get off, talking to literally everyone and going up to complete randos and stuff.

Absolutely exhilarating.
>>
>>28188396
performing doesn't really do anything for me, i don't hate it or like it that much.

the only people i end up talking to are older guys who want to talk about gear or other guitar related stuff. that's pretty much the only thing i can talk about without sperging out
>>
File: 7006775-red-fox-hd.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
7006775-red-fox-hd.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>28187766
playing guitar and bassguitar for 10 years now.

Girls liking it is just a myth, it has never even gotten me close to laid. I mean when chad gets his guitar out, ofcourse the girls get wet. But you really dont want to be that douchebag that takes out his guitar at every unrelated event to just show of for the girls. It's just too cringy for me.

Been in a few bands, but its just not worth it. You have to compromise with shit normies with even shittier taste in music that want to steer the band in a complete shit direction and have no idea what they are doing when writing or playing. Its honestly more frustrated than anything else. Also I'm always the only one with a car so I can be the bands personal chauffeur. Which just means you are gonna drive around town for hours. Only to end up begging gas money back (which you will never see).

But playing for 10 years has granted me the endless personal enjoyment of an instrument.. Especially since I've accepted that "bands" and "preforming" is just not for me. So now I enjoy my instruments in solitude where I work on ad hoc solo projects. I even listen to my own music because I enjoy it. I get to focus on the elements that I like and I get to create something that is highly personal and customized for me by me.

I prefer not to play infront of others or share my music. I always get shitloads of comments or "tips and tricks" from complete fucking idiots. Its just not worth it. When you say you play guitar people expect you to repeat 3-4 chords while singing some hipster singer-songwriter bullshit. Anything that derives from the norm is haunted, stomped and criticized into the ground.

Its also very nice that you get to list it as "hobbies", so you don't seem like another loser with 0 interests other than video games and stupid series.

It's a very rewarding experience, but not in the way you would expect it to be. Other musicians are almost always arrogant douche bags with no skill to back it up.
>>
>>28188448
>Other musicians are almost always arrogant douche bags with no skill to back it up.

ehh, the only true douchebag i've ever had the displeasure of playing with was a 50 year old drummer that was stuck in the 1980s. guy was an alcoholic and a prick. half the time he was cool as shit with me, the other half he'd make these snide cunt fuck comments that made me want to smash him in the face.

other than him, i've never played with a true douchebag.
>>
>>28188291
Not that guy, but I also make beats. Here's a loop I made a while back that I like a lot

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1whCnbs0QZf
>>
>>28188526
Then you must be that guy.

I prefer hiding the fact that I play an instrument, just so I dont have to associate with other musicians.

Especially other guitarist and "singers" just give me an ulcer.

>Yeah no I make music in a band to
Oh, what do you play?
>I sing

Everytime.
>>
The only thing really I do is practice because music is the only thing I've found that makes me happy. I play every instrument I come across but drums are my passion. All I want to be able to do is make it my life but my inability to talk to people and crippling self doubt keeps me from forming bands or actually making something of myself in the music world even though I already have made a little bit of a name in the local metal scene as a guitarist. The one thing I love has caught me in a existential crisis and I really dont know what the fuck Im doing
>>
>>28188448
I think you're just salty that you suck

>if you deviate from the norm
Yeah. You're a snowflake that probably just sucks.

>hipster singer songwriter
Kek. Hipsters actually like autistic shit that nobody likes. What you're thinking about is faux normie hipsters
>>
>>28188560
>Then you must be that guy.

you caught me, i bully all my bandmates into submission
>>
Started playing guitar when I was in highschool, took it to school, if i went, nearly everyday to practice nonstop and people loved it. After I graduated I started a band and started touring for about 2 years and then quit because that shit really kills you. Now Im at uni and girls still think its awesome.
>>
>>28188448
>claims anything deviating from the norm is hated on
>same paragraph claims hipsters like 3 chord guitar songs

Something isnt adding up. Proto hipsters I've met like autistic Yugoslavian folk with weird shit. You just gotta find them, what you're thinking about is the trendy anti hipster.
>>
>>28188448

You're not very good at making bands m8. You have to explain what you want at the start. You put down rules, ya feel?
>>
>>28188912
Nope. Bands are just trash and a waste of my talent and ability.

Making music is like every single activity in this life: best when enjoyed alone.

Other people just do as they always do, fuck everything up for you and destroy everything you had going.
>>
>>28188945

I seriously, seriously think you've just had some bad run-ins.
>>
>>28187766
I was very talented growing up but was lazy and didn't practice as much as I should have
I started taking piano lessons from my old teacher a few months after moving back home and it's Honestly a big reason why I don't think about killing myself every day anymore. Its meditative to play and it's nice to be really good at something again.
I'm moving in a little over a month to a city with a huge music scene. I don't know if I want to pursue it but it's definitely still an option
>>
Whenever I play piano in public or at a church people can't believe it and are astounded.
>>
Been using ableton to make music for a few years, haven't made much progress in that time but I know enough to just open it up and make something even if that something is no good. I've been trying to do it a bit more lately and upload stuff but I'm probably wasting my time.

I have been playing piano for a few months now which is quite fun. I am still just playing simple beginner tunes but it impresses the hell out of my parents that I can use two hands.
>>
>Asshat schoolmate calls himself a singer
>Dickhead is constantly talking shit about me because the girl he has a crush on likes me.
>He gets up on stage and has his shitty hipster band sing his songs
>No vocal projection
>Airy as fuck
>Sounds exactly like he's talking, only louder
>Makes retarded faces
>No vibrato
>The lyrics are god aweful
>No technique, just yelling
>Tries to push in order to reach the higher notes
>Sounds like a south park gnome getting a blowjob while singing hipster americana
>Everybody congratulates him and says he sounds so good
>I spent years developing good technique and then my teacher gets me my first gig
>Canio from motherfucking Pagliacci
>Then my teacher goes behind my back and leaves a bunch of flyers around at my school and at the school I plan on transferring to
>I get up on stage and I see an ocean of familiar and hated faces.
>Pretty much all the faculty from the music departments of both schools shows up
>All the kids are smirking and whispering to each other and laughing at me
>And then everything starts
>All the adults are floored by my performance
>My voice teacher in the back cries halfway through Vesti La Giubba.
>Many of the people in the audience are choking up
>All the kids are shocked
>Then the greasy talentless little shithead I previously mentioned yells 'YOU SUCK'
>A quarter of the audience; all his friends, burst out into laughter.
>The rest just give him this disgusted look.
>Walk off the stage with all the dignity I can muster
>Break down into tears backstage
>Nobody comes to say anything.
>>
File: '.jpg (65 KB, 380x445) Image search: [Google]
'.jpg
65 KB, 380x445
>>28189215
wow fuck that guy
>>
>>28189215

desu synth pop or any sort of hipster music that is snarekicksnarekicksnarekick with bells is the worst and/or anything that requires you use a twill amp in combo with a telecaster guitar is honestly the worst kind. Literal music cancer. Honestly, when I look back at it, gay metalcore bands were more fun than that sort of shit.
>>
>>28187766
I picked piano back up after a 2 year hiatus in high school and learned to compose. I have to say there is no other activity that can suck me in like creating new sounds.

Compositions don't pay, but i picked up a part-time gig at a church and will have students next year.

Overall it's been an enormous bolster to my self-esteem, I'm at the point that I can sit down and dazzle some musicians and most non-musicians. Plus I learned to sing and play, girls definitely get wet (even if they don't ever talk to me afterwards..). I think I have a somewhat childlike voice that people seem to genuinely enjoy.
>>
>>28189215
Wow. Are you surprised nobody likes you? You're an arrogant asshole.
>>
>>28188945
tell them this then not us.
>>
>>28189359
I have, hence Im not into bands anymore...
>>
I play guitar

Was in a Black Metal band for a few months, we never found a drummer so we never got close to ever performing. I think the only person I ever really impressed was some cheerleader by playing Good Riddance by Green Day, apparently the fact I suck at singing didn't matter.

I wanna be in a band but I can't find one and I feel if I play my acoustic in public I'm being a massive douche
>>
>>28189215
fucking hipster asshole you are.
>>
In terms of reactions I've had a few notable ones in the past few years:
>Played a gig with my band I had with my brother
>I'm singer/bassist
>Kill it
>Lose my virginity to my brothers at roommate later that night.

Also had a few people cry for my playing
>in college
>Took a singing class
>Teacher gave me an aria in Italian for the final
>Parents, grandma and brother show up to final performance
>Kill it
>See my grandmother crying afterwards, my mom says my dad is crying
>See him wiping his eyes
>Maybe the 3rd time I've seen him cry

Also last week my aunt came to get some furniture and I performed piano for her.
She's a nutjob but she studied music and she was sobbing for all of my performances, then called my dad to say I should do music for a living
I was always the most talented in my extended family so now that I'm living at home and working a retail job it feels more and more like it's my calling in life.
>>
Violinist here. On a seperate post I talked about getting mugged about it at one point. But it's also the only thing that prevented me from becoming a NEET out of HS. It's also slowed me to be as little robot as possible while maintaining the status. I will never be a real wizard, though. Too much love in my life. Anyway, made a career outta that Shit. Live pretty comfy with the cat and hang with musician gf often. Not living with her tho. Music is literally me life
>>
File: doritos.jpg (42 KB, 369x369) Image search: [Google]
doritos.jpg
42 KB, 369x369
>>28187766
been playing guitar for a while, kinda stopped because i had no reason to do it anymore, i was already capable of playing any song i wanted if i just googled how to play it/spent an hour figuring out the chord's used in said song, but now that ive got a girlfriend (im not a normie, bite me) ive gotten really motivated to play again, althought most of it is still ~awkward/depressing-ish~ music like Creep - Radiohead or Where is my mind? - Pixies

no longer kissless faggot, FeelsGoodMan
>>
practicing and recording are both extremely unfun. learning how to perform random songs / pieces you like is also massively boring

fiddling with recording software is also extremely boring too, and at the end of the day you'll be lucky to get your friends to listen to it unless you put a lot of time into it or are very talented (and even then, probably not)

i also dont really get people who claim they have an analog of music to their emotions or whatever
>>
>>28189476
>girlfriend
>Creep by Radiohead
>NOT KISSLESS

GET OFF MY BOARD NORMIE!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
What grade are you guys at your instruments? If you don't know exactly take a guess.
>>
>>28189528
intermediate at guitar

Maybe I'm higher but I don't really know, I haven't practiced anywhere nearly enough

I know I'm at least not a beginner anymore
>>
>>28188077
Don't do busking. It's fucking stupid and annoying. Not to mention only attention whores do it.
>>
>Decide to play at an open mic night at a bar my senior year of college
>Get talked into it by a friend of mine who is in a decent band.
>Get my guitar, head out, meet that guy and his band there. They're pretty chill, good musicians.
>Usual cast of oddities and mid thirties guys who never 'made it' playing that night
>Run into a group of girls who were friends of my freshman year girlfriend, haven't seen any of them in 4 years.
>What are the fucking odds. Great. Wonderful.
>One dude who is literally playing just bass guitar and nothing else-- bass and vocals--sings a fucking 7 minute song
>Go on after
>Just me, my autism, and my 11 year old, cracked, tinny acoustic guitar
>Sound guy says something like "NEWCOMER TONIGHT LADIES AND GENTS HERE WE GO TAKE IT AWAY"
>Play an acoustic cover of an old Muse song to warm up my voice.
>Literally drop my pick halfway through the first verse
>Sweating palms
>Play one of my own songs second to finish
>Actually manage it well. Manage to forget I'm in a bar and it feels like I'm singing in my living room again.
>Open my eyes
>Dudes in the band are sitting up front all leaning forward staring at me
>Feels good for a second
>Stupid fucking sound guy/dj says something like
"Alllll right wow... intensity intensity intensity..."
>Instantly feel like an idiot
>scattered, unenthusiastic applause sprent here and there.
>Maybe I didn't do so well at all
>What the fuck just happened
>Leave
>Never play open mic night again
Awful idea. For a second there, I really thought I had done something good.
>>
>>28189619
how good are you at guitar?

get an electric and learn some instrumental metal song then go back to an open mic, if open mics don't like you not singing fuck em
>>
>>28189683
>instrumental metal song at an open mic
Doubt that's going to be well received, and I say this as a metal fan.
>>
>>28189740
ok then a Surf Rock song, those aren't as aggressive and still show some skill
>>
>>28188559
Nice work senpai, keep it up
>>
>>28189528
Intermediate + at guitar and piano
Good enough to give lessons and improvise convincingly, not good enough to play piano in an orchestra or improvise for hours at a piano bar.
>>
File: dogperson.png (675 KB, 478x480) Image search: [Google]
dogperson.png
675 KB, 478x480
>>28188309

http://iamnotaperson.bandcamp.com
>>
>>28189461
I really want to start learning violin but as you can guess am a total robot who hates social interaction.

Can violin be self-taught from zero? I have some guitar experience though I doubt that'll help me much.
>>
>>28188309

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1dlZYRNk8kO

recorded this with the boys last night
>>
>>28189784
Surf rock is super simple
>>
>>28189870

It'll help a little. Youtube my family.

>>28189879

I think he also means the rhythm work is complicated. Your wrist will be dead.
>>
File: crippleperson.png (2 MB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
crippleperson.png
2 MB, 640x960
>>28188309

Or Youtube if you want...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aIXsuHB86A
>>
>>28187766
Been making trap and rap beats. Helps pass the time since video games dont do it for me anymore
>>
>>28187766
>tfw drummer

It hasn't helped at all. Still fun though.
>>
>>28189528
upper mid tier intermediate

i'd say low level advanced guitar would be like buckethead type of stuff i guess, i can't play that. upper high level would be stuff like shawn lane/holdsworth/joe pass/django reinhardt
>>
>>28189683
I'm clasically trained, and was a metal head in high school. I just lost interest in that sort of thing. you tell me:
>https://soundcloud.com/nomadamongthemountain/nests
>>
>>28189820
ps here's a beat on which I play guitar, feedback would be good
https://clyp.it/dq1ugn5b
>>
>>28189944
sounds pretty nice, why didn't you just perform this? On stage jitters?
>>
>>28189998
That's nice of you, Anon. Autism I suppose, most concisely.
>>
File: 1454941473834.jpg (284 KB, 1161x869) Image search: [Google]
1454941473834.jpg
284 KB, 1161x869
>>28189576

But it makes money in the right places. I've done it to survive in the streets before.
>>
>>28190271

>I lost it the second I looked at the zinfandel bottle
>>
>>28189910

ya screams are up there senpai-- though I suggest not doing so much layering if you're doing highs.
>>
>>28189955

its cool up until the synth / bass kick in which kinda make it sound like one of those gay electro swing pieces

should keep it lo-fi hiphopish or whatever or have it gradually lay on the instruments

just my opinion tho
>>
>>28189215
>hipster band
yeah every single member of every one of these is a total cockroach.

I also find it interesting how hipster faggots insist that straight edge kids are preachy yet when I met a bunch of guys in a SE Hardcore band who were the nicest people I've ever met ( and their music was a fuck load more fun too)
>>
File: 1461437317193.png (384 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1461437317193.png
384 KB, 800x600
>>28190792

Cool, thanks for listening famalama. I had a few guest spots on some of these songs too, so it wasn't just me. I kind of let them do what they wanted, within reason, and then edited it down and stuff. Most of the songs are just me though. :^)

Seriously, thanks to anyone who listens. I think you can pirate my album on realmofmetal if you want it for free. I found it there one day but I'm too afraid to try and download it.
>>
>>28187974
Obviously, you can't post here if you're under 18
>>
>>28191108

desu if I add you on normiebook can you send me your raws and let me have a shot at mixing and mastering them?
>>
File: 1458077961220.jpg (53 KB, 500x637) Image search: [Google]
1458077961220.jpg
53 KB, 500x637
>>28191167

I don't have access to those. I sent the raw recordings to somebody to do all the actual sounds (including guitar amp sounds), mixing, and mastering.
>>
>>28187766
nope, prolly worse because i listen to and make edgelord music
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.