[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are entering the dark ages of gaming? >paid mods >ads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: 1461641258432.gif (492 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1461641258432.gif
492 KB, 460x345
Are entering the dark ages of gaming?

>paid mods
>ads in free versions of mods
>devs hiring modders to fix and create their shit
>mobile gaming taking over
>day 1 dlc rampant
>season passes are popular
>censorship encouraged and defended
>sjw politics forced into games
>games no one wants continue to release
>games people do want are mobile only
>episodic remakes
>games getting more casual and easier
>900p 30fps
>mid generation "HD" console releases like PS4.5 and new Xbox and "new 3ds"
>japanese companies bowing to western pressure to censor their games
>companies refusing to bring back popular highly requested dead ip's
>more and more games needing a kick starter
>every game in beta early access for months to years
>VR dead before its even a thing
>ridiculous DRM in games like always online and cutscene streaming
>broken games and bugs and shitty errors disguised and defended as unique game features and art direction (quantum break)
>micro transactions slowly becoming mainstream
>big studios dropping E3

Why is this happening?
>>
>>>/v/
oregano
>>
then the PC market will have to begin to cater to non casuals again

sounds ok to me
>>
File: 1461532309734.jpg (10 KB, 310x331) Image search: [Google]
1461532309734.jpg
10 KB, 310x331
Gaming was always in a bad state, we just now have a better overview of the older systems and aren't as easily impressed like when we were younger.
>>
>>28136327
we've been in the dark ages for 10 years now by my reckoning
possibly a few more depending on your cynicism
>>
Gaming is and always will be a bubble market. It's about to pop. I expect nintendo to pull it back together again as they plan to release a new console and multiple flagship games in the near future.

It's just a more complex version of when Atari killed the market. Oversaturization, low quality content, lazy developers with little concern for buyers, cutting corners just to make more profit, etc.
>>
>>28136327
talk to the average "gamer" during any epoch and you'll see you deserve it
>>
Where the fuck have you been? Its pretty much been like this since the 360 came. Microsoft essentially single handedly destroyed the way video games were supposed to be. DLC, micro transactions, big budget block busters were all pretty much supported by the 360. This whole ass backwards culture of gaming was cultivated by microsoft and its been growing this way ever and ever.
>>
Who gives a shit?

You shouldn't be playing video games beyond the age of 12 anyway, you fucking manchildren.
>>
>>28136327
>Why is this happening?

Gameing became more popular and started pandering to normalfags.
>>
>>28136395
Gaming has never been this profitable, don't be a fool.

It can't even be a bubble market because the returns are way too high on investments. Like Valve making millions off simple weapon retextures in CS GO
>>
>>28136519
thats how a bubble market works...

prices are overblown and consumers realize theyre getting fucked or lose interest and the market crashes...
>>
>>28136327
Stop posting this on every board

cumin
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 458x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 458x288
This is a great post and discussion, I hate o give a short reply but what the fuck.
Gaming has been in the dark ages yes. You should have seen this when Anita took power and joot banished gamergr8.

Videogames today are just a DIAGRA brainwashing tool for the most part and arent worth your money (pirate it fag, lol) or time (hax lol).

Almost all are poorly designed, terribly written with cheap jewllywood esque pulp, and atrocious graphocs for this gen's tech.

Game devs are now just corrupt pinheads with no ability to make any reasonable games becsuse they are tied to their mass profits, unlike games of yesteryore that were well recieved because of their tallent, games today are about profits and hitting the top spot.
So naturally everything sucks and no fun allowed.

But thays just the skim of things, the deeper issue is. Women in gaming. Girls ruined games by brining in casul culture and girl censorship. When a girl enters a boys club its always about making it safe for he gorl and rewriting it for her.

Xbl (lol) is no longer about being a vicious trash talking shooter junkie and yelling faggot every 5 seconds. Its now just the neutered former shadow of itself and I personally blame fucking halo for that shit. It ruined the peer to peer system for fag matchmaking becusse dumbfucks cant find a match or (lol) add friends.

Playstation always aucked and was always for weaboo fanboys. And nintendo was always for children.

But PC gaming, that has really been fucktuckdd hard since minecrap and steam.

Steam made games not as convinet to pirate, making the indie or low budget studios wih tallent still get sales, and high budget games get a big pirate share. Now the opposite is true. Small games rarely get love whole big name titles get even higher downloads.

And minecraft fucked everything because 10 year olds got into pc gaming, not saying counterstrike didnt make them that way. But pc and RTS games always appealed to meganerds with a alpha fantasy.
>>
>>28136602
No a bubble market is when companies over-invest because of high returns and then the returns stop. Right now investment in gaming is super low. How much manpower do you think it takes to release a handful of weapon retextures once in a while? Meanwhile they will continue making millions just from that. Or you can take a look at WoW which is actually more profitable than it was at its peak because despite the drop from 10 million subscribers to maybe around 4-5 million, they're also getting away with content patches that literally last 400 days.
>>
>>28136395
hi. what does bubble mean?
>>
>>28136691
oversaturation of a market with huge prices that are not realistic prices of the item until eventual collapse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_housing_bubble
>>
>>28136625
bad english but good post overall

>Now the opposite is true. Small games rarely get love whole big name titles get even higher downloads.

Ehh not really, apart from lol/csgo/dota2, small games are far more popular than anything else. Undertale was probably the most popular game on PC last year, and Steam top sellers are full of indie games, like right now there's Stardew and Gungeon
>>
>>28136719
thanks123456789
>>
>>28136719
The opposite is true with gaming right now. The biggest video game companies to invest in are diverse as fuck. Activision/Blizzard has COD, Hearthstone, WoW, etc. All shit that is still consistently making money to this day and will continue to do so for a long time.

Investing into one game strongly is a thing of the past. No company does it anymore, except Riot but League is not fucking going anywhere. ActiBlizzard doesn't spend shit on WoW or Hearthstone, and COD has little risk of failing as they break records with every 2 year release.
>>
File: 1415594227010.gif (954 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1415594227010.gif
954 KB, 500x281
>entering

We entered the dark age years ago, anon.

You're just too young to recall.
>>
>>28136778
I don't think you're getting it. Your definition of a bubble market it wrong.

The gaming market is the perfect definition of a bubble market right now.

Too many games, too many shit games, too many companies taking advantage of consumers, everything is overpriced, essentially waiting for a crash. That's a bubble market.
>>
>>28136778
overwatch is going to be very successful
all i hear is how good it is
>>
I haven't spent a dime on videogames since goober gayt. fuck women and fuck niggers
>>
>>28136464
>Gameing became more popular and started pandering to normalfags.

This. Normies ruin everything they touch. They are sheep, they love nothing and only play games for status rather than actually enjoying the game.
>>
>>28136778
No it isn't, they're right.
Video games were not doing well before they hit main stream. Smaller studios were closing a lot or getting bought out buy the bigger companies.
Microsoft did a good job in making videogames popular but them and EA treating employees like shit and demanding as much as they can get from consumers just had an unrealistic expectation of what people can afford.

I use to not pick up games from a lack of money but you could rent them at a video store most games were pretty fun.
Now it's such bullshit you couldn't even rent a game if you wanted to, buying a base game is like buying a fucking DEMO with all the DLC preorder nonsense. I stopped buying because games are shit and WAY more expensive now.

What do you expect from a bunch of rich people in the tech industry though, if you look at current events in the world they're some of the worse group of rich people to ever exist.
Fuck the environment, fuck workers (they exported jobs to over seas sweat shops) working conditions even for white collar workers still the the US is considered shitty with crunch times and all that other crap. they don't pay taxes like a small business would.
They're just some of the worse people to ever exist period, they profit off fucking anyone and everyone for everything they can.
>>
>>28136816
>bubble market.
But it is not a bubble market by definition. The stock valuation of video game companies is anything but overpriced. Right now video game companies have several different streams of income from a shitload of different games. This is important because the best way to prevent a bubble is to minimize risk, and the best way to do that is to diversify your sources of income. Furthermore, all these games by themselves have very little investment relative to what they're earning. So if one source of revenue dries up, the loss is very minimal. That in itself is all you need to prevent a bubble.

The best example I can give you is Blizzard. A decade ago Blizzard committed their resources to one massive game: World Of Warcraft. Risky as fuck, but it paid off. Rather than continuing the insane amount of investment into WoW, they've split the WoW team into WoW, Hearthstone, Overwatch, Starcraft II, Diablo 3, and Heroes of the Storm. Half those games aren't even that popular but it doesn't matter because Blizzard spent very little to develop them in comparison to how much they've earned from them. Blizzard essentially abandoned Starcraft II but it doesn't even matter because they get a shitload of profit just from the one time sales of the expansions. Diablo 3 is the same case.
>Too many games, too many shit games
Like I said, diversity is actually the best way to reduce a crash. All these games are separate investments. If one fails, it's not a big deal. And even if they're shit they could still make a profit because of the lack of resources put into the game.
>>
>>28136816
also to add

>too many companies taking advantage of consumers, everything is overpriced
It's quite obvious that this is true with all the overpriced DLC/microtransactions/yearly releases, but no one is forcing consumers to spend so much on them. Video games are not an essential good, nor is the industry run by a complete monopoly, so it would be subject to competitive pricing. Everything costs so much because that's what consumers are willing to pay for it. These are the people who will dish out $60 on every yearly COD release, and on top of that buy every $20 DLC, and now it's even got a fucking cash shop. Companies will keep doing this because people are spending money on it. I doubt many people feel obligated and forced to buy every COD and DLC, they do just because they don't care about the price. So yeah, it fucking sucks but a bubble happening because everything is overpriced is never going to happen because the price of games is exactly what people are freely willing to spend on them.

>>28137030
Video games are shit right now and too expensive, but a crash happening because you find it too pricey is not going to happen. You aren't the target audience, the millions of people who spend way more money on video games and don't give a fuck about it are.
>>
File: 1.jpg (23 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
23 KB, 480x300
>>28136327
I've been playing games since the 90's and I'm....bored.

It's the same old shit again and again.

The only thing that will impress me now is virtual reality sex with penis, hands and face attachments.
>>
>>28137081
>Video games are shit right now and too expensive, but a crash happening because you find it too pricey is not going to happen. You aren't the target audience, the millions of people who spend way more money on video games and don't give a fuck about it are.
You know a lot of effort goes into games, some of them are pretty cool it's just like I said the base product is a demo. Fuck that racket.
Honestly I just think that's part of their 'Fuck You' philosphy of the higher up management in the larger tech firms and stuff like pricing are a small thing. The whole gamergate thing is like a stupid little distracts to how much waste they create (I suppose going full digital might help with that) but even then it still doesn't really put a dent in the amount of environmental problems they create and are not footing the bill for or helping the world fix. They're just making everyone pay up to fuck themselves like that. The entire SJW bullshit is just a smaller part of their anti-workers stance because fuck you I need more money. People don't like gamergate because it's part of their agenda, anti-union, anti worker. One small little subsection of people don't want to be treated like shit and people make a big deal about it because it distracts from the larger issues.
It's too fucking bad bernie was the only politician that would of maybe of done something politically about all this nonsense if people were more aware these are the biggest problem 1% faceless corporations people bitch about all the time but always go unnamed.
But yeah you're right we're all just going to go on being chumps about it probably.
>>
>>28137204
>Honestly I just think that's part of their 'Fuck You' philosphy of the higher up management in the larger tech firms and stuff like pricing are a small thing
There is no "Fuck You" philosophy in these companies, there is a "Increase the value of our stocks" philosophy. And that happens to be finding the best possible way to maximize revenues and keep expenses as low as possible. And of course a lot of this does end up fucking the consumer.

The best example I can think of is E.A. riding off the success of the new Star Wars movie and releasing the new Star Wars Battlefront for $60. Yet the game has a total of 3 fucking maps and literally no content. They spent a level of resources into the game that is equal to a literal demo, but thanks to the full price of the game and the amazing timing of releasing it simultaneously with the movie, they sold so many fucking copies. It doesn't even matter if the playerbase continues to drop, that massive fucking amount of $$$ has already been made.
>>
>>28137204
>The whole gamergate thing is like a stupid little distracts to how much waste they create (I suppose going full digital might help with that) but even then it still doesn't really put a dent in the amount of environmental problems they create and are not footing the bill for or helping the world fix. They're just making everyone pay up to fuck themselves like that. The entire SJW bullshit is just a smaller part of their anti-workers stance because fuck you I need more money. People don't like gamergate because it's part of their agenda, anti-union, anti worker. One small little subsection of people don't want to be treated like shit and people make a big deal about it because it distracts from the larger issues.
Don't really see how gamergate would affect the industry at all. If anything if it was a short lasting internet meme that seemed like a big issue because it was discussed on an echo chamber like 4chan. And I wouldn't doubt 95% of the video game audience is even aware of its existence.

Also the current state of video games doesn't really have much to do with the state of workers in the industry. If anything the move towards lower costs resulted in less employees overall but higher individual earnings. Or the move towards diversification wouldn't have employees being cut at all, just moved to different projects.

It really isn't the corporations' faults that people are willing to spend so much money on video games. I'm not arguing against restricting the bullshit amount of power they have, but in the video game industry, corporations aren't responsible for a stupid consumer base, like the COD audience.

Also like I said earlier, it's not a "fuck you" philisophy, it's a "make money" philisophy, and sometimes companies don't fuck over consumers. Valve is making ridiculous profit and their current business strategy is fucking amazing for consumers. CSGO is only $15, DOTA 2 is free to play, Steam sales make games cheap as fuck, etc. It's not all bad
>>
who cares video games are for children and weirdos
>>
>>28137368
everyone on this board is either a child, a weirdo, or both
>>
File: King_Cobra.jpg (31 KB, 320x450) Image search: [Google]
King_Cobra.jpg
31 KB, 320x450
>>28137368
i just happen to be one of those things
fuck you for not being a weirdo
get off my weirdo board, normie
>>
File: sp3.jpg (25 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
sp3.jpg
25 KB, 499x499
>>28137301
>There is no "Fuck You" philosophy in these companies, there is a "Increase the value of our stocks" philosophy. And that happens to be finding the best possible way to maximize revenues and keep expenses as low as possible. And of course a lot of this does end up fucking the consumer.
Toe-may-toe / Toe-Matto
Now saying the consumer is getting fucked there are different points, we all agree that well yes just lube up maybe they'll rub your shoulders or give you a reach around.
All I'm saying is, most consumers are unaware of how badly they are getting fucked because we're all focus'd on the short sighted stuff and not the larger problems going on.
Make America Great Again, what makes America great? The tech advantage. Who makes what, smart phones computers, American companies doing a lot of this fuckery. Where do they actually manufacture that stuff? Not the US. Look into how it's made, factory, worker, environmental conditions in China. You can say fuck China all you want but now we're reliant on them not getting fucked.
People say we go to war over oil, anything happens to commie land china guess where the next wars are going to be.
Although that's kind of a tangent, things like the manufacture causing environmental problems is a global problem. The worker thing, they'd treat us just as badly here if they could, won't even do that type of business here if they can't do it. See how that's a larger issue, I can't treat you that bad but is not being treated worse than someone else better if you're getting fucked either way? Those workers are consumers too.
I use to think EA was kinda evil but they're like the littlest less capable brother to people like microsoft but still try to act like their bigger sibling because they want to be just like them when they grow up.
>>28137368
Don't you get tired of being told to GTFO normie?
>>
>>28137654
>>28137642
>Don't you get tired of being told to GTFO normie?
I just don't like videogames, they're juvenile and obnoxious.
Nothing of value will be lost if they die.
>>
I play video games only because it's something my friends and I have in common.
>>
>>28137667
>isn't a weirdo
gtfo normie
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.