[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My fridge broke and I'm too poor to get a new one or get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_2016-04-17-19-19-06.png (686 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-17-19-19-06.png
686 KB, 1280x800
My fridge broke and I'm too poor to get a new one or get it fixed, does anyone have any experience with using coolers, do they keep food/drinks cool for at least a whole day?

I can go to CVS and get a $5 bag of ice no problem but I have to buy a cooler first, never used one before does anyone here have any experience with them? If I could at least keep a small bottle of milk and some meat and dairy safe and cool for a whole day or so that would be all I need. Have had to resort to pouring cold water into a cooking pot and putting water bottles in it to have them somewhat cold but can't do that with milk obviously

Just in time for summer too
>>
>>28088352
This is dumb. If a bag of ice costs $5 and you plan on going through at least a bag a day, you're looking at spending $35/week just to keep your food cold, on top of this you will also spend some amount of money to buy a cooler.

Just get your fridge fixed. Do you live in an apartment where the fridge is provided by the landlord? If so, call maintenance and they will fix it for free or even replace it.

If not, then instead of buying a cooler and dumping money into ice every week, I would recommend purchasing a mini fridge and using that instead. You can get a mini fridge at Walmart for about $100, which you will spend in a month of buying ice and a cooler anyway.
>>
File: 13964465.jpg (24 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
13964465.jpg
24 KB, 450x450
>>28088433
Well I'm not sure for how long I'll be without a fridge so you're right it may not be the best option.

Something cheaper than a mini fridge would be ideal though, I can't afford to spend $100

I'm looking at these thermoelectric coolers now, perhaps that would be a better idea, anything that I can plug into an outlet and have my food/drinks stay cool and safe, and this looks like it, and these are around the range of $50-60 which I could afford right away

I never had my fridge break before so I'm clueless as to alternate methods of keeping food and drinks cold, this seems like a better idea than the ice cooler though, having to constantly refill ice every day or so will get expensive and tedious..
>>
>>28088589
Back when people didn't have refrigerators, they would dig really deep into the earth and store their food where its cool and layer it with salt
>>
>>28088589
>being this broke

Why anon?
>>
>>28088607
Can't exactly do that in the middle of a city

I think I might go out and try to find a minifridge for under $70 tomorrow, that might be the most long term cost effective solution for now.
>>
>>28088589
>>28088670
Also just get the damn mini fridge. You will be able to store things longer. You will be able to store more things because you won't have it filled up with ice. You will be able to ride out however long you need to go without the fridge. And when you have the fridge up and running you can keep the mini fridge in your room or something and stock it with drinks or whatever.
>>
File: RM2351L-Open_300x300.jpg (11 KB, 300x231) Image search: [Google]
RM2351L-Open_300x300.jpg
11 KB, 300x231
>>28088670
Poverty sucks but my fridge has been on the fritz the past couple of months and sometimes cooling too quickly or just constantly running. It finally gave out though, opening the freezer and feeling the fan blow warm air is so weird

That comfy feeling of buying food and storing it in the fridge, knowing you can eat it later, having a cold glass of milk, cold water when you want it, not worrying about meat or dairy going bad, its such an underrated feeling I miss that right now

Wish it was just the freezer or fridge portion that stopped cooling so I wouldnt be in such a bad situation but thats not what happened sadly

I just hope I can find a minifridge for that price range, I'm looking at pictures of minifridges with envy now lol
>>
>>28088713
Yeah minifridge seems the best bet, a nice long term investment too for the future, or just to store as a backup in case something like this happens again because if I do get a normal fridge again sometime down the road then operating both a fridge and minifridge would be too costly in electricity for me, but a damn useful backup to resort to, that I wish I had done so long ago.
>>
>>28088352
Think about joining a credit union and taking out a personal loan to fix or replace the fridge. Any alternative is going to cost more in the long run.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.