[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1438724303169-1.jpg (972 KB, 2560x1329) Image search: [Google]
1438724303169-1.jpg
972 KB, 2560x1329
Less have a nice programming thread.
What are my robots learning/coding?
Are you planning on freelancing? Programming is a great way for robots to make moni.
I'll also answer questions where I can.
>>
My job is actually software engineer. I know C++, C#, Java, HTML, PHP and Python
>>
>tfw trying to make a SNES ROM hack
>tfw no experience with low-level programming languages
>tfw trying to learn 65816 assembly but it's way out of my league

Fuck this shit. Anyways, I'm starting comp sci at university next year. Should test out of a semester or more already because of AP scores.
>>
>>28080857
How do i into programming
>>
I know C, Java and Python, but I don't feel like I know it well enough to get paid for it. Like I can do the dummy assignments that I get in class, but I feel like everything that I've learned doesn't apply to the real world.

Anyone else feel like this?
>>
>>28081290
Yes all the time
You're not alone but I don't have a solution sorry
>>
>>28081085
16 bit x86 assembly was my first "real" language. I'd used toy languages before, but when I got serious, I started with assembly because it was within my immediate interest.
Assembly is actually really easy to learn. It's not so easy to read or write (especially to write) though. Depends on the hack you're trying to pull, maybe it IS beyond your skill but at least you'll learn. Reverse Engineering is really fun.
>>28081116
Consider why you want to start programming and what your interest is (games? systems? le 1338 haxx0ring?). Pick a language that serves that domain. Pick a good book on the subject. Read it while tyring out the code in the book.
Takes more than anything: interest
>>
>>28080629
I keep trying to learn this stuff because I know it's super useful and important and can make money off it but it so fucking boring and I'm not autistic enough to care about it
>>
I'm in EE, which really has very little to do with programming . I've done 3 software internships so far, a few small personal projects and some simulation work/design projects for my degree. I'll be starting another software job in a week.
I'm worried I'm probably going to have to take some powderpuff software job when I graduate, since old people refuse to pull their claws out of real engineering jobs.
>>
>>28081738
If you can't get yourself to get interested either your approach hasn't been at all engaging or it is simply not your thing.
If you've been doing nothing but reading books, as good as books might be, you don't really know what coding is about, most of us starting coding before we ever picked up a book, we already had experience programming and had fun with it. You could get scratch or maybe stencyl and start making games, or you could try and mod a game you like (a game that can be modded with an easy language like python so you can start doing it without much bootstrapping).
And if you've already tried this kind of thing then don't worry about it, perhaps it's not your thing and you shouldn't learn something that bores you just for money, that's why a lot of people out there are so miserable, stuck in shitty dead end jobs they don't like. You won't even be able to finish chapter 2 of whatever book you pick so there's really no point in aiming towards it. Ant it's not "super useful and important" since, as you can see, most people don't know shit about programming and don't need to either.
>>
>>28081856
Nigger, I am graduating EE and i have no jobs lined up, how the fuck did you get a job?
Any details youre willing to share?
>>
>>28082254

Yeah its called getting an internship and gathering contacts
>>
>>28082345
Well I started freshman year and applied to about 30 jobs a year, and also gather contacts through an extracurricular engineering club and also went to my career services at uni twice a year, and also the career fairs.
My resume was tight and I applied to enough jobs.
I did everything the career services people said.
Of course all my friends got internships but I didn't for some fucking reason.
My only explanation is that I just give off a virgin beta feeling, which is pretty obvious since a lot of people have admitted that I do.
>>
>>28082397
Well you just need to walk into a company's office, smile and give the CEO a firm handshake. Is that so hard?
>>
>>28082397
>>28082444
just pull an act when you're around people. Don't "bee ursalf :^)", pretend you're a confident and healthy functional member of society.
>>
>>28082444
>>28082496
not sure which one of you is the EE guy
curious what kind of classes you are taking just to see how our unis programs are related
personally ive taken a lot of signals and systems classes and also some digital design classes. I only had to go up to linear algebra and ODE/PDE mathwise
my programming classes were lackluster, only two classes in java, one in C++ (very intro) and then just classes who happened to include languages like python and VHDL
>>
>>28082254
>>28082556
>curious what kind of classes you are taking just to see how our unis programs are related
I'm the first guy. Our program only really requires one intro to C course as far as programming goes. It's very old-school. They have you using Matlab for simulation work from third year on, and that's pretty much it. Depending on your specialization in fourth year, you might also be doing some HDL type stuff. I took the photonics option (which is sort of our school's specialty), so there's not a lot of that.
>personally ive taken a lot of signals and systems classes and also some digital design classes. I only had to go up to linear algebra and ODE/PDE mathwise
We also only explicitly go up to ODEs (with some numerical methods work thrown in) for math. We have a few math classes after second year that are disguised as engineering classes (in-depth probability/statistics, etc.)
>Nigger, I am graduating EE and i have no jobs lined up, how the fuck did you get a job?
We have a pretty big co-op program. Applying for jobs for us consists of reading a short description and hitting "Okay". I don't do that great during the interview session, and I typically only get 1-2 offers. With this particular job, the interview was over the phone and with a woman, so I was able to relax and have a bit of a dick-swinging moment.
For my last job, a company I hadn't applied for basically begged me to take a two-hour bus down to their headquarters behind the co-op office's (who have a very strict on-campus interview policy) back to do an interview. It was completely out of the blue and they had me rush down THAT DAY right before a huge midterm, but I got the job.
I don't have a full time job lined up, but I've still got some time left for that thanks to my fucked up graduation schedule. I'll probably go back to one of the companies I worked for, if they haven't gone out of business by then.
>>
>>28083070
Il be real senpai, Im just worried about my mental health because I'm moving back home and I am explicitly not getting a job until I can get an actual engineering job. dealing with my parents ( who i hold in high regard) and this situation is gonna be tough.
I am confident I can find something jobwise, but skeptical of myself.
>>
I will make it one day. Learning hard desu

#include <include stdio.h>

int main(void){

int 9;

printf("%9", 9)

Printf(this is my number)

return END;
>>
>>28080629

Why are you trying to make more people go into programming? This just makes it worse for everyone by increasing competition for jobs.
>>
>>28083510
beautiful. I honestly hope it is bait, for your sake
>>
>>28083527
I'm thinking you should all just go fuck yourselves honestly.
Have a boy
>>
>>28083510
I couldn't get this to run in Eclipse. What JVM are you using?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.