[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
redpill me on journalism major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: 1457382223267.jpg (53 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1457382223267.jpg
53 KB, 500x667
redpill me on journalism major
>>
Dont do it. If you like to write choose English Lit.
>>
You're more than likely not gonna be able to go to all the cool shit some journalists go to (cities across the world, major sporting events, big musical acts, conventions, war-torn locations, whatever)
>>
Third most worthless major after X studies and English. Actually, probably more worthless than English. 99% of Journalism majors are fucking stupid as well, only education majors are dumber (which is both ironic and terrifying for a number of reasons).
>>
>>28078763
Do you have stats to back that up ?
>>
Fulfilling but doesn't pay well.

You'll try something more lucrative but realize that nothing fills that spot. It's a horrible condition
>>
journalism is a skill you already have and can develop. You don't need a big degree to land a editorial job if you have a good work experience record
>>
>>28079504
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure having a degree + experience is way better than having only one of those two
>>
>>28079518
I'm not in the industry. But I know for a fact that journalists do not learn special trade skills that you couldn't pick up by working in a community paper or as an editor

code of ethics? Duhhhhh. Indesign? So practice. Interviews? Anybody could do it.
>>
>>28079683
Im not saying you learn any important skills but just having the degree looks better to employers, no?
>>
Im in the same boat OP, and these guys are probably right.
The only thing that gives me some hope is the fact that most journalism students are dumb normies, so im probably more likely to archive succes, at least in long term.
If you are just a little above average clever you/i will maybe shine in the shit pool
>>
File: 1461371145943.jpg (118 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1461371145943.jpg
118 KB, 1280x720
>>28078630
I'm not redpilling you on shit you disgusting dog
>>
Pressure under fire
>>
>>28079683
Where i live you cant get any of those jobs without an uni degree
Unless you already have great contacts + being actually really talented i guess
>>
>>28079753
It obviously does. Not enough to make it worthy though.

And you are fucking stupid, that's for sure.
>>
>>28079753
Just freelance and do some volunteer work running a community zine and editing. A degree does look good, but a proven work experience record is just as convincing if your work is good.

If you really want to do it, go for it. But education is expensive and you spend years doing often very trivial things
>>
>>28079800
Elaborate
Not an original comment tbqh
>>
>>28079824
Well I need to go to college for something. I've finished all my gen eds.
>>
Newspapers are dying, only the very attractive gets news anchor gigs, and most people get their news from online bloggers now.
>>
>>28079839
Done this before. Don't want this to be his first surgery.
>>
>>28079931
What?
Fuuuuck i hate the robot so much
>>
>>28079971
Not a robot, just making an extremely obscure reference that no one would get. Sorry. I have no actual advice.
>>
>>28080031
I meant THE robot "unoriginal comment Xd"
>>
It's fucking worthless. "Journalism" nowadays is aggregation and clickbait. Traditional reporting is dead and reporter is one of the least trustworthy jobs available. You're going to more likely than not end up working for a blog or clickbait site like Buzzfeed IF you get a job. Most publications and websites on average only hire one, maybe two new people a year and the pay is shit unless you're an editor in chief.
>>
The problem with this kind of thread is that whatever the "major" is, OP, these fags will find the way of showing you everything thats bad about it, just so you can have some kind of excuse for being lazy or something.
Do whatever the fuck you want but do it right, work hard, work clever.
>inb4 le normie XDDDD
nevermind journalism is really dead
Im in first year and everyone knows this shit is dead end.
But i suck at math so i guess this is as good as it gets.
>>
>>28080320
I think my problem is that I worry too much.
I mean I see people like you, who go into "dead-end" majors like music and art and they are perfectly contempt. Maybe I just worry too much?
>>
Journalism grad here.
I now work in advertising.
>>
>>28078763
>worthless
>just because it doesn't instantly guarantee gainful employment

Hate to burst your bubble, anon, but dismissing entire academic disciplines as "worthless" because you don't think you can get a job in the field is pretty retarded.
>>
>>28079847
>Well I need to go to college for something

Unless your college is free or you're going to the toppest of Ivy League, this is a dangerous sentiment. Nobody is really acknowledging it now, but higher education is a bubble, and all bubbles burst. You should wait for it to either be reformed or fall apart before you consider going.

There's a neat documentary called Ivory Tower from 2014 that'll give you a basic understanding of the risks involved.
>>
>>28080716
No I mean... my parents are literally forcing me too. If I could have my way I'd take a year off but I literally cannot.
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 720x690
>>28080574
>contempt
>wants to write for a living
>>
>>28080589
>advertising

The only thing worse than advertising/marketing is selling insurance, the only thing worse than both of these is being a prostitute.

Actually I take that back, a prosti is the best of the three because people actually want sex, so it's a worthwhile and desired service.
>>
>>28081280
no I mean, other people who go into these majors are contempt with it
>>
>>28078630
Me mum was a journalism major, in the 1970's and 80's she had work, and could actually use that degree to great effect.
Then it changed and now everything is fucking worthless so she's stuck as a low wage teacher.
>>
File: 1362968247009.jpg (79 KB, 818x705) Image search: [Google]
1362968247009.jpg
79 KB, 818x705
>>28081447
why do you do this?

you know the right word. you're just trying to get a reaction. and for what purpose, I ask you?
>>
>>28081777
oh shit I see I'm just a stupid faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 308x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 308x324
>>28078630
STONE YOURSELF TO DEATH YOU SJW WHORE!
>>
I have friends that are Journalism majors
They live with with their parents and work in grocery stores
I guess I'm not much better because I majored in Spanish and minored in >Japanese but I don't have any student loans so I can do whatever I want.
>>
>>28080759

They literally can't force you to go there and do school. It probably doesn't feel like that's true because the memories of them dressing and feeding you are still relatively fresh, but if you're at college age, you're at the age to take charge of your life, and if there's anything to take charge over, it's higher education. Don't pack your shit, don't fill out applications, sit in your room and make them drag you out if that's what it takes.

Take that year off and get a shitty part-time job or something. It'll give you a lot of focus for what you actually want to do with your life, and knowing where you're going is more important than just going.
>>
File: fear-and-loathing.jpg (541 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fear-and-loathing.jpg
541 KB, 1920x1080
>>28078630
Grad school is worth it just so you can yell "I'm a doctor of journalism goddammit!"

Do bear in mind that you're going into a field completely owned by kikes
>>
Congratulations on your future career writing for buzzfeed!
>>
A poli sci or Econ major can do a journalism majors job but better.
>>
>>28082951
Fine by me. Its a career. Maybe I'd be able add some quality to that shithole.

>>28083092
Is poli sci a good major? I've heard mixed things about it.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.