[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts about your country's educational system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10
File: re.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
re.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
What are your thoughts about your country's educational system?
>>
File: 1451765998273.jpg (110 KB, 759x508) Image search: [Google]
1451765998273.jpg
110 KB, 759x508
America here.

It is complete shit. We never learned anything useful past the 2nd grade, and I think the same can be said for pretty much every 1st world country. The phrase "Another brick in the wall" is the best way I can describe it, it is literally hand crafted to break down a child's joy of learning and discovering new things. Children at young ages are fascinated with life, practically everything that comes out of their mouth is "Why" because they want to learn. "Why is the sky blue? Why does the wind blow? Why are clouds white?", etc.

How many teenagers do you know with the same curiosity? It is extremely noticeable in them when compared to young children because teens are at the end of the school system, they are essentially the finished product of what it does to our youth. Worn out, no curiosity, sense of wonder gone, desire to learn gone.

The government just wants workers and soldiers to use. They don't want anyone to be interested in virtue, science, or life. They want you to build stuff for them or die for them. School is basically just a slaughterhouse for your childhood imagination. You go there to become an indoctrinated government workhorse. If you don't show up they will force you from your home and put you in foster care, then force you through the system against you and your parent's will.
>>
File: 2z5vgxd.jpg (47 KB, 403x392) Image search: [Google]
2z5vgxd.jpg
47 KB, 403x392
>>28078335
Piece of crap. The kids barely have a proper education and most of them get out of school as functional illiterates and without any proper knowledge of math.

Meanwhile, in the academia, the bullshit is astonishing. I just failed a couple of classes this semester due to low attendance. LOW ATTENDANCE!! What the fuck. My grades were above average. I know what I'm required to know. But the teachers and the university think that this is not enough. I must be there and sign a list. Knowledge is only the second important thing.
>>
File: ROReily.png (494 KB, 576x431) Image search: [Google]
ROReily.png
494 KB, 576x431
America.

It's a fucking prison model, and every piece of shit kid is forced to attend, no matter how much they detract from the experience of everyone else. Authoritarian obedience comes first, learning second. It's a big fucking jerkoff fest meant to eventually produce obedient workers.

We have literal retards in American schools with normal children.

Schools in this piece of shit country are also funded locally instead of federally, so where you are born affects exactly how much your school can afford, and thus, what sort of teachers your district can attract in the first place. Not that it matters; the culture here is so opposed to intellectualism or knowledge for its own sake that anything that might imply "you should know this just because it's interesting and fascinating and beautiful and not worry about its immediate applicability" is laughed at, even by educators.
>>
>>28078532
>>28078683
Agree deshuz well written/10
>>
UK

It's ok but also pretty shit. They give you the basics and can get you to pass exams but that's it, you don't learn anything in reality, just get a grade and a piece of paper. Everyone is pressured into going onto higher education (university) for some reason so the value of it goes down as everyone is expected to do it, which in turn means it's worthless. Also odds are heavily stacked against boys from poor backgrounds due to how certain aspects of schooling are carried out, if you're rich you got to a good school if you're poor you don't. Obviously this isn't always the case but essentially it is. Anyway who cares it's probably alright and everything is my fault instead kek.
>>
>>28078335
It's bullshit, everyone is pushing for free superior education but there are no results to back it up, everyone is a lazy cunt (including me), and the worst of all is everyone can study whatever the fuck they want, you were a shit student your whole life? np, come to a private university, they don't have any requirement that a monkey couldn't accomplish, sure, you will get some debt, but there are a lot of ways the government will help you with them. Also every career is so fucking long, mine is 5 and a half years, but they go up to 6 or 7 seven years.

But what do I care for, I have a scolarship that covers like 95% of my expenses.
>>
I liked it. Literally just went to class just to get kicked out and roam the halls freshman year. Actually did my shit sophomore year. Dropped out in jr. year and went to alternative school senior year and had my own classroom with this other stupid kid where we smoked weed in the room and just googled the answers since we were doing A+ which is you just get credits on the computer to graduate. I miss those times.
>>
UK. The push for everyone to go to university is unnecessary. Not everyone should and there should be more apprenticeships available.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 365x363) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 365x363
France

It used to be pretty good, but it has been hollowed out over the last 40 years with remarkable persistence by the consecutive governments.
Funny enough, this is probably the only thing that no government (left- or right-wing) has backed down from.
As a result, many of even the best high school graduates cannot write as well as the majority of middle schoolers from the 60s and most kids are simply clueless about grammar altogether.
Same goes with math, science, everything really. Besides, another reform was voted last year which further reduces the total number of hours in middle school, while pretending to do it to enforce "equality".
Basically, they took out everything that was challenging because it wouldn't be fair to the retards and because of the idea (that people are gradually coming to realize is bullshit) that everyone should access higher education.

Higher education sucks too, but not for everyone. The prepas, Grandes Ecoles and unis at grad school level work well but the actual public unis are way underfunded at the undergraduate level. Add to that the constantly increasing number of weak students in the public unis (due to the fact that the entrance exam is a joke) and you have a recipe for disaster.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 183x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 183x250
>>28078532
>>28078683

Best thing I've read on here in awhile, couldn't agree more
>>
>>28078335
America's education system is meant to churn out millions of idiotic drones a year, and it does exactly that.

I had a 1.2 gpa in highschool despite passing 5 AP exams and getting top 5%(1400) on SATs

I missed graduating by 5 elective credits.

I thought being smarter than everyone around me was enough, but it was not.

Schools have only gotten worse, Millenials are the most idiotic generation the world has ever produced.
>>
DK. Proabably just as shit as anywhere else
>>
>>28079555
Who /Science Po / ENA Master race/ here?
>>
>>28079702
Try /ENS/ my man
>>
File: Whiterthanbleach.jpg (33 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
Whiterthanbleach.jpg
33 KB, 680x680
Argentina
I think its pretty good, the first cycle (primary-secondary) is average, in some schools its great but its kinda hard to get in them, of course our lovely bolivian, brazilian, etc neighbors came in and flooded them so where we used to have 20 kids in a classroom, now we have like 40.
College is top tier in my opinion, even more if you are studying medicine or something like that, also take in count everything is totally free
>>
>School
>Someone who clearly doesn't want to be there continues to hold everyone else upw ith their bullshit
>Disrespecting teachers who get paid shit
>All everyone talks about is how it's the teachers fault for not teaching when the assfuck nigger in the back of the class is doing shit s/he shouldn't be doing
>This is on top of education that forces us to learn one way and never expand on curiosity we might have

I would've loved having a mandatory cooking class, or an art class, or a class where we build up our social cues. But no. Because learning creative arts is apparently not important in industries that thrive on creativity. I had to settle for jamal and wakisha fucking around and wasting my time.
>>
>>28079862
uk m8?
>>
File: 1458601562171.png (95 KB, 400x391) Image search: [Google]
1458601562171.png
95 KB, 400x391
Turkey

We now have voluntary classes about the life of Muhammed and the Kuran. Government wrecked education in a feud with a powerful cleric from Pennsylvania. Universities are basically political arenas rather than places for higher education and theology graduates are appearing everywhere.
>>
>>28079909
America

And the worse part about all this is that when I did find out we "had" some elective classes such as cooking and Linux, they were going to be gone because the school didn't have enough funding to keep them
>>
>>28079963
That sucks, do they teach you any language? aside from spanish i guess
>>
Senior reporting in. Fucking bring back corporal punishment.
>>
>>28080063
It was Spanish, French, Dutch. Was nice but wish there was more to it.

I don't know about anyone else but my class didn't really learn speaking and understanding Spanish, it was mostly "what does this word mean" kind of thing.
>>
>>28080148
Also, fucking send the downies to some special school, far away from us.
>>
>>28079922

Go away turkroach.

tayyip>feto
>>
>>28079555
high intellectual standards would be racist against french PoC you fucking nazi
>>
File: 1458151307809.jpg (17 KB, 280x320) Image search: [Google]
1458151307809.jpg
17 KB, 280x320
>>28080199
>tayyip>feto
>>
Argentina

Everything is free but you have to endure knowing you are paying bolivian, brazilian and etc for their studies and also the fucking political agenda getting shoved through your throat everyday lmao.

Free wifi tho.
>>
>>28080158
No latin or ancient greek? You americans have a weird system
>>
>>28080249
Bs.As?
>>
>>28080257

Also using the metric system WOULD BE FUCKING HELPFUL!
>>
>>28080302
Also what happens when you cant go to school? i mean are there a number of days you can just not go or something?
>>
>>28078335

I'm from America, and I don't have a ton of original thoughts on it. I hated the prison-esque feeling school had when I was in it, but my resentment towards it didn't really crystallize until I listened to that Sir Ken Robinson TED talk, where he basically explains that school as we do it is an artifact of imperial Britain and isn't at all molded to the modern worldl; https://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity?language=en

Only especially shitty things about our education system are things that, bizarrely, I somewhat share with this guy from across the world;
>>28079922

In some areas, primarily the South, the religious interests of the populace are represented in the curriculum in the form of abstinence sex education (which leaves these kids woefully unprepared for teenage sexuality) and seriously entertaining the idea of teaching creationism. They might actually do it in some places, I don't even know.

The general resistance to change here also means that the idea of updating and changing the curriculum is unpopular not only with the officials who'd actually have to do the work but also with the parents who could only stand to gain from having better educated kids. So not only is this stupid system motivated mainly by inertia, there's nothing to motivate it in any other direction.
>>
>>28080329
You need to have a doctors note or some shit to say you can't make it other wise if you miss class more than twice you get suspended or sent to detention. I never once missed class in my 4 years of high school but some classes were worth skipping.
>>
>>28078532
Is the same for chile tbqh
>>
>>28080393
damn, here we have like 20 "free" times to just stay in your house sleeping and the school doesnt say shit. Also what happens when you are sent to detention?
>>
>>28078683
Same for chilel again
>>
>>28080382

Well the difference is that the religious interests are the ones changing shit. We didn't have these just 10 years ago.
>>
>>28078335
its pretty fucked.
they care more about you passing than actually learning anything, thats why there is so much cheating.
>>
>>28080438
From what I've seen people stay in a small dark room with the other philistines saying nothing to each other or look in one direction saying nothing to each other unless the teacher says something for 3 days minimum.

There were no windows throughout the highschool rooms anyway so it was just another room where you didn't say shit unless you wanted 1 more day in detention.
>>
Public education is a disaster. Probably not worth having kids if you cant afford them private school
>>
>>28080497
I would totally shoot my school if i lived there lol
>>
File: 1292907645633.png (65 KB, 252x221) Image search: [Google]
1292907645633.png
65 KB, 252x221
>>28080438
>we have like 20 "free" times to just stay in your house sleeping and the school doesnt say shit

Jesus fucking christ. I would've used every day every year.
>>
>>28080530
yeah high school was not a fun time for me and I left being even more jaded than when I went in
>>
Singapore.
Everything is materialistic and elitist as fuck. You don't learn much, the goal is to find ways to memorise as much as possible and regurgitate what you memorised in an exam paper. Everyone tries to score 101/100 marks or disgracefur to famiry.
>>
>>28078532
>Never learned anything usefull
Say for yourself, if you ever wanted to learn anything with actual real world application in high school, you had to seek out certain electives/programs. I learned a shit ton about finance, working with computers, networking shit, investing, banking, and taxes. My school literally had programs in agriculture, technology, business, health science, and shop that let you learn anything of your interest, and some programs even got you certifications at the end that help you find work.
>>
>>28080753

That's a lot of specialty programs. Sounds like you lived in a nice neighborhood. Or went private.
>>
>Chem. Eng.
>6 hours of theory
>4 hours of laboratory
>reports and homerworks for the next day
>This repeats everyday
I don know how to feel about this, I like it but have no time for doing other shit and I have zero social life besides the talk with my classmates.

Also this year my uni is cutting the program in half after 50 years.

t. Mexico
>>
>>28078532
I think it's like that pretty much anywhere anon, except maybe scandinavia.

Greece here, just like everybody said, I think the biggest problem is the fact that nobody cares about learning itself and everybody just chases better degrees. I'm in university right now and pretty much everybody just studies for the exams, they pass classes and never look back to them.

Also the country's economy being the shit that it is doesn't really help, very little money goes to the improvement of the educational system each year.

At least the curriculum is fairly nice, you won't find a high school where they have retarded classes like pottery, while for example students are being taught advanced math pretty early, so by the time you get to university you are acquainted with let's say differfential equations.

Long story short, quality of studies: above average, quality of schools and system: fucking trash
>>
Brazil.

Public schools are a joke, your parents better pay you a good private one or you're fucked. Lately, there have been a lot of affirmative actions to help the poorer students get into college (public ones, because the private ones are expensive as fuck). Not gonna lie, that helped me getting into uni, so I'm not going to complain.
>>
U.S. is completely fine.

Most people who hate it are either apathetic retards or people who fall for the "lel American education" meme.

>>28078532
>>28078683
>>28079585
>>28080382

Perfect examples. All they do is spew the same meaningless drivel about how terrible schools are, not understanding that school isn't a therapeutic day-care that teaches everything you'll ever need to know. It's a means to an end, and it should be nothing more.
>>
>>28078532
Agree 10/10.
Also, I suggest you to read a good book written by John Taylor Gatto: Dumbing Us Down. Go check it out!
>>
>>28080938

I may be America-educated, but even I know bait when I see it.
>>
>>28080975
You're not stupid because you were educated in America. You'd be just as stupid living anywhere else.
>>
>>28078335

Italian here.

People go to school just to get good grades (either because their mamma or papa' told 'em or because "it makes a good curriculum for job seeking afterwards").

That's it! It's not anymore about actually learning. It's just about getting a moderately high grade.

And teachers get used to it, too. They changed (maybe it was always more or like this way, idk...) their way of teaching. It's more concise, more superficial. They praise persons when they raise their hands in 0.0001ms and reply to a question like freaking robots. It's about speed, too.

Also, it's a fucking business!
Every (and I mean, EVERY!) professor has written at least his/her own book and advices it to the class

I once asked a physics professor to help me solve a problem which I found on a "not-adviced" book and her response was: "where did you find it? I've never seen a problem like this. Let's see it the next time"...

You see the arrogance running through the professors' faces. Like: "hey, here I am the boss and you're the slave". It almost ends up like this at the end. It's a system made to mentally abuse children/teens and mold them to the "standards" dictated by the "superiors".

TL;DR: It's a shit! If you truly wanna educate yourself, go study on your own or find a team which does NOT have tests and scores as primary priority.
>>
>>28078532
also people in america get paid more on welfare than people who are attending school trying to achieve something. niggers literally get everything for free and dont use it. pisses me off. i got declined a student loan because i owe only 2k in another student loan...while nigg jamal prob goes to community college gets everything paid for and doesn't even graduate. i literally only had 10 more months for pharma degree and they declined me. fucking REEEEEEEE im gonna harm people one day i swear. theyre all so mean to me. i just want to try and do soemthing in life. literally been in my room since thursday. havent ate or drank anything. hope i die soon senpai. i had an externship lined up and they wont give me a loan for 5k
>>
Finland here.

Mandatory swedish language course in uni is about to ruin my whole physics degree. I won't learn that shitty language.
>>
>>28080774
Actually it was an underfunded school in a shitty Mexican town.
>>
>>28078532
you nailed it m8
>>
New Zealand.

In general, I think i'm quite well educated. High school is a little bit of a joke. We moved away from a bursary system which was scaled so that only like 30% of people would get direct entry into university from high school into a newer system called NCEA which just allows anyone to get in to university or a technical institute if they get 42 credits in certain subjects. It actually takes 60 credits to pass that year so you're allowed into most universities now if you don't pass your final year of high school education.

I got into university before they introduced a points based system where each credit was worth a certain amount of points depending on the grade you achieved on it. Most universities still don't do this.

I went to the poorest high school in my city which assessed by parents income levels. Most people that I studied with at university went to schools ranging from decile 8 through 10. I went to a decile 2 school. I'm pretty happy that although there is an unspoken class system where the school you went to determines your worth as a person, I managed to mostly overcome that and fit in pretty well and do better at university than my richer peers

I got my first degrees without too much effort and did pretty well. Got scholarships to study overseas and later job offers in the middle east for what I did which I took up. Didn't like it too much so I am now back doing a medical degree. I think they were pretty happy that I could read Latin and ancient Greek when they let me in. I also speak Turkish and Arabic so even though I got a degree in archaeology which isn't very useful in New Zealand I think the admissions board thought that my education and the experiences it led to made a pretty well rounded person.

It's got its problems but the system worked for me and I wouldn't be unhappy for my own children to participate in it if it doesn't change too drastically.
>>
>>28078335
Another American here.

Here's how it's set up: teachers are under paid and over worked (on top of student loan debts). The way the school is set up, teachers are pretty much forced to push every student through regardless of whether or not the child actually deserves it. And on the rare occasion that you do find a teacher who is amazing at what they do, they will be completely overshadowed by the sports department since football and track brings in more money and attention than science, literature, and arts. I had 1 science teacher who taught anatomy, biology, chemistry, physics, and physics 2 to freshman all the way up to seniors and still got less funding and a smaller paycheck than the dickhead football coach who also "taught" history. AKA, literally showed us a clip from Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh every other week.

On top of all that is the great American bullshit of "public image" in trying to make yourself seem better than you actually are. As I said before, multiple schools just push students through regardless if they actually should pass or not just so they can get extra funding and it definitely shows the closer you are to graduating.

Once you're outside of high school, college becomes an absolute joke as you spend another 2-3 year going thousands of dollars going into debt to relearn classes you felt meh towards or absolutely hated in high school. Not to mention you are FORCED to take shit just so you finish up certain credit hours. The college I went to offered the history of rock and roll as a class that cuts out 3 hours for humanity studies. WTF is this bullshit?!

I did 1 year of college before leaving due to fear of debt and not knowing what I want to do. Any time I even consider going back to college that idea is scrapped the second I remember all the horseshit involved.

Also, these:
>>28078532
>>28078683
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.