[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that, throughout history, no one has ever achieved
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: 1461271826396.png (1 MB, 1030x888) Image search: [Google]
1461271826396.png
1 MB, 1030x888
Why is it that, throughout history, no one has ever achieved greatness in any meaningful sense of the word?
>>
>>28075083
because greatness, in itself, doesn't exist, since it's just a matter of perspective

zoom out enough from our lives and the greatest feats from the greatest men are nothing
>>
>>28075083
Great boxers, great musicians, great writers, you're objectively wrong.
>>
I would argue for Alexander, Gangis and Kublia Khan, Julius and Octavian, Muhammad, Confusious, Jesus.

Many men have achieved greatness
>>
The decisions of Alfred THE GREAT essentially lead to the shaping of the modern world, so I'd say he's one for consideration.
>>
>>28075083

because your arbitrary definition of greatness will belittle even the best of human accomplishments.
>>
File: dominos-1.jpg (27 KB, 496x199) Image search: [Google]
dominos-1.jpg
27 KB, 496x199
>>28075083
This. It's all relative and there's no objective meaning.

If you mean why hasn't anyone achieved something so great that it'll never be forgotten the answer is because people are forgetful and tend to take things for granted.

can anyone really achieve anything if no one has any free will?
>>
>>28075277
***measure for greatness
>>
alexander the great achieved so much greatness they put it in the name
>>
I actually meant to type no woman/not one woman.

that typo made this a more interesting topic though
>>
>>28075232
I wonder if that spec of dust billions of years from now will appreciate what humanity chose to distract itself with.
>>
File: 1460941797419.jpg (14 KB, 340x357) Image search: [Google]
1460941797419.jpg
14 KB, 340x357
>>28075083
Greatness can't be achieved by one person alone.

Collectively speaking, Mankind has achieved incredible feats, showing intelligence, willpowerand remarkable endurance

Our efforts are nothing to be scoffed at, we're still fairly young, who knows what will happen 5000 years from now
>>
>>28075232
Aside from greatness in the fields of military and philosophy, what greatness has any of these men achieved? Not much.

Let's seek out the OP's personal definition of greatness before we start naming the first historical figures that come into our minds.
>>
>>28075308
Diogenes was better
>>
>>28075440
Incredible in the eyes of whom? Our own?

There's no way to be sure if these 'feats' will be recognized as great--or an equivalent of the word--by other life forms (if there are any).

What if everything we've ever achieved will be seen as objectively backwards? What if the point of life is to take care of the planet you live on?

You can't measure greatness and therefore OP's thread can never be answered, nor should he be allowed to assume such a bold stance as his.
>>
File: alexanderthegoat.jpg (128 KB, 768x1062) Image search: [Google]
alexanderthegoat.jpg
128 KB, 768x1062
Ever heard of pic related?
Or, you know, Cesar, Napoleon?
Jesus seemed to be a fucking great dude as well...
>>
>>28075473
>Aside from greatness, what greatness was achieved?

Great thread.
>>
File: Alighieri_D.jpg (25 KB, 240x317) Image search: [Google]
Alighieri_D.jpg
25 KB, 240x317
>>28075712
This man thought Alexander was burning in hell.
>>
>>28075226
great boxers? i bet you consider any boxers great that aren't already overflowing with your semen and feces.
>>
>>28075647
>There's no way to be sure if these 'feats' will be recognized as great--or an equivalent of the word--by other life forms (if there are any).

That doesn't mean we should just stop, we keep going, regardless of meaning. The advancement and exploration is worth it.

Imagine if columbus just said, meh what's the point...
>>
>>28076215
>shitting on the great ones
>cumming on the ones who had no business being in the ring

You probably think fighting is "banal" or something gay like that
>>
>>28076416
i'm saying that you don't wash your underpants, you allow substances you expel from your body to collect in your underpants, and you wear the same unwashed underpants that are brimming with bodily fluids every day. great boxers are the pair you get from grandma every christmas, which are passable for a few minutes until your first wet fart and masturbation session in a public area of your house render them socially unacceptable to wear, like all your other pairs.
>>
>>28076554
Thanks for spelling it out, boy I'm retarded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04xFmVuo0Ek
>>
Men like being in charge of everything and purposely kept women as retarded as possible, because being weak, modest and naive is the biggest appeal of a feminine woman.
> would you really want to date your perfect equal in looks, intelligence or hobbies
> why didn't men stress the importance of gainz, fixing a car or reading a fucking book since the beginning of the world
>>
>>28076554
nice safe.
you should become a rhetorian sportsplayer. a really talented mind you got there mr overachiever.
>>
My dad is a great man :^)
>>
>>28076666
devil quintastillions, love you mane.
wud suck dick if internet allowed it and dick wouldnt be autistic like your greasy and hairy outkastly ass.
>>
>>28076641
>Tfw we literally developed the race at 50% effeciency
I for one am ashamed
>>
File: 1513df.jpg (73 KB, 900x424) Image search: [Google]
1513df.jpg
73 KB, 900x424
What does it mean to be great?
Is any achievement that we make meaningful?
We can make skyscrapers that touch the heavens.
We can travel through the vacuum of space.
We can split the atom.
But all of these achievements are meaningless
Suns turn into black holes, planets fall apart, galaxy's fade away. Moving to a planet only postpones the inevitable. Death.
I ask you, how will Alexanders achievements matter when the universe is gone.

>"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
>>
>>28076641
>>28076784
OK Woolfians, it's been about a century, women can go to college! Too bad they waste the opportunity, and the space they take up, to chase big lucrative cocks.
>>
>>28076666
devil quintastillions, love you mane.
wud suck dick if internet allowed it and dick wouldnt be autistic like your greasy and hairy outkastly ass.
i despise you.
>>
File: 1450409360385.jpg (625 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1450409360385.jpg
625 KB, 1536x2048
>>28075083
TBHWYF, he real tragedy here is that Suzy looks like that OP naturally. What the fuck.
>>
>>28076883
That doesn't answer the two questions I asked though, famalam.
>>
What would be greatness then? Some genius mechanizing his entire body then taking over the world, the galaxy, some brilliant mind obtaining perfect understanding of all thigns? From a nihilistic POV I suppose nothing less than nigh godhood is greatness. Back on earth, greatness is just achieving what 99.9 percent of your peers can only dream of, fabulous wealth, intellect, conquest, etc.
>>
>>28077233
Read more about nihilism, not just the Nietzsche memes, you do not really seem to have understood it's meaning.
>>
>>28077339
I only meant nihilist is the sense that most ppl mean it.

From what i gather the meaning is

>set own goals
>be independent and self sufficient

Whereas the popular meaning of nothing really matters so by what metric do we measure anything is more useful to the conversation. Unless I'm off base even in my other understanding, either way I have no interest in a deeper understanding of nihilism
>>
>>28075083
The fact that there is a computer in front of you, allowing the world to see what such a gigantic faggot looks like, is a pretty great feat.
>>
>>28075647
>>28075277
>>28075183
le everything is subjective meme
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.