[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best way to not work or work very little, and still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: best life.png (4 KB, 274x83) Image search: [Google]
best life.png
4 KB, 274x83
What is the best way to not work or work very little, and still have a decent existence so you can focus on hobbies and self-improvement?
>>
https://www.upwork.com/
>>
>>28071751

As a software engineer "parody" code like this hurts me deep inside.
>>
>>28071793
OP here.

Also software engineer. Had literally no idea what else to put there.
>>
>>28071751
Just be rich brah.
Its easy, just get born into a 1% family.
>>
>>28071807

My nigga. You are forgiven.
>>
Why create a method for literally one line of code?
You could literally just us the optimize method on any new life object and it would give the same results
>>
File: 1430690572549-2.jpg (15 KB, 250x237) Image search: [Google]
1430690572549-2.jpg
15 KB, 250x237
>He doesn't know about NEETbux
>>
>>28071793
>>28071807
At least it's correct code, and object orientated, so OP should be commended for that.

But yes, it's still painful to look at.
>>
>>28071870
Yes but it is incredibly redundant
>>
>>28071793
Ditto.

>>28071781
This is probably the best approach, but don't fool yourself by thinking it's easy. The competition on these sites is insane. You really need to have specific domain knowledge that allows you to target a particular industry, plus skills around positioning and marketing yourself and writing proposals and whatnot to actually get gigs. This is all extremely difficult and taxing for an autist to pull off, much moreso than the actual work.

Remember that if you're going to learn a skill online and then try to find work online, you're competing with a million guys in countries like India that have access to the exact same resources and will work for $2/hour. Why should anyone pay you more?
>>
>>28071897
Considering code posts on /r9k/ like that usually look like they were made by a complete fuckup, I find this to be a welcome change.
>>
>>28071861
A life can't optimize itself, DUH
>>
>>28071861
Maybe you don't want users of your API to touch a protected Life constructor?
Maybe the method used to be a lot longer, but the LifeTools.optimize(Life) method was recently added, yet you want to keep backwards compatibility for older users?
Maybe it's a kind of factory method, and you're only allowed to create certain kinds of life because the Life object in itself doesn't have a valid state?

I don't know, maybe?
>>
>>28071904
>This is probably the best approach

Let me contradict myself by saying: For the reasons I gave, this is actually not the best approach.

You really need to develop a skill that is rare and in-demand and thus valuable, then find a way to market it effectively. This is much easier if you really have developed domain knowledge in a particular field or industry (or at least within some recognizable market), although the way most people do that is by working a full-time job for at least a few years.

If you are really and truly starting from scratch, you probably want to make a list of whatever jobs or hobbies you've had that give you domain-specific knowledge, then put together a service you could reasonably offer to people in the same field (or with the same interest, etc.) that would be worth spending money on. Then learn how to market it to them, incorporating their feedback so your pitch gets stronger and stronger and eventually people find what you're offering worthwhile.

Chances are you'll have the best luck marketing your services locally where you at least have the advantage of being someone they can see and speak to directly. Again, it's not easy. But there are no real shortcuts, and most people who try finding work on sites like Upwork are just wasting their time.

tl;dr Identify what unique and valuable knowledge/skills you have and start researching positioning and (direct) marketing.
>>
>>28071904
>India that have access to the exact same resources and will work for $2/hour. Why should anyone pay you more?

Trying to actually get work done out of someone in India is hell, I have tried before, it's better to pay a USA guy $50+ per hour than try to explain to some poor indian guy what you want even if he's willing to work for $15 per hour

many big software companies have tried to outsource to india then moved right back to the USA when it does not work out
>>
>>28072064

IMO upwork is for people who already know how to code or whatever

however you can charge $50 per hour just to add and remove content from wordpress sites, tons of people do it
>>
>>28071781
>>28071904
>>28072064
>>28072112
>>28072143
I heard freelance shit is hell to get into, and you actually have to work ridiculous hours for years before you even get a slight chance at working normal hours. So the people who only work 4 hours a day earning the big bucks, are those who worked non-stop for years and then somewhat got lucky. That's not what the OP wants.
>>
>>28072310

it just depends, there are hundreds of small websites out there for single location retail companies who can't afford a full time tech guy but might need an hours worth of updating on their website per month, a big thing now is to take older static websites and make them dynamic via css (for cell phones)

there are tons of this kind of work, this work is different than being able to work on a professional programming team from home making $150 per hour.

A mechanic will charge $50-70 per hour for the labor to change your alternator or waterpump, there is no reason you should not charge the same to do good work on a website

it's really not that hard and once you do 5 or 10 things and link them as a resume, people won't leave you alone getting you to fix shit...
>>
>>28072310
>I heard freelance shit is hell to get into, and you actually have to work ridiculous hours for years before you even get a slight chance at working normal hours.

well you have to know what you are doing and yes that can take years; you can't take a job and sit there with a "how to html for dummies" trying to get the job done
>>
>>28072441
I think you're missing the point. Freelancing is difficult even for people who are already really good at their occupation, simply because there is a whole other set of skills you need to develop to be successful that is unique to freelancing itself.

That said I think >>28072310 overstates the challenge somewhat. Most people who try freelancing end up flailing around for potentially years before they figure out what it is they need to do to be successful. These would be the people describing freelancing as "hell to get into". If you approach freelancing with the attitude that having (say) programming skill isn't enough, that you need to also become a savvy marketer and think carefully about what it is you do that actually creates value for others and how you can communicate that value to them, I'd say you've got a decent chance at becoming successful and making real money.

Again though, this does not make freelancing a silver bullet for autists. Freelancing can be just as challenging for us as holding down a fulltime job, and for similar reasons.
>>
>>28072647
>I think you're missing the point. Freelancing is difficult even for people who are already really good at their occupation, simply because there is a whole other set of skills you need to develop to be successful that is unique to freelancing itself.

there are several ways to do it, the "True" freelancing is basically you running your own small company, and yes that brings in a whole new set of skills and shit to keep up with.

however you can find web development companies who will hire you on an hourly basis and give you this shit or overflow work they don't want to do, this will be repetitive work their real programmers don't want to do, but a step above simple data input. They might only pay you $20 per hour and 1099 you but it saves you from having to market yourself for every job

people who can actually get shit done at any level in a competent way are in demand all over the web and if you put in some effort you can find someone who will tolerate your eccentricities as long as you can get shit done when the time comes

a true free lancer is going to wind up dealing with people who don't know the scope of the task, and will wind up having to handle shit that is out of his area of expertise, in other words having go-to people to do things his original employer does not even understand need to be done

for instance "my website is down" could be a server hack or a single unclosed html tag in the wrong place; can you diagnose at that level? if not you should not freelance to people like business owners who have no idea what is wrong other than "it's down"
>>
Rent stuff out. All you'd have to do is maintain the property and keep records. The only thing is that it has a huge start up cost.
>>
>>28072390
I'm more of the programming kind than webdev kind. Not sure if people are that quick to hire my type as well.
>>
>>28072917
>just have a huge wad of money and invest
Why didn't I think of this before!!!
>>
You could sell drugs.
>>
>>28074778
How much money is in that, and how big is the chance of being caught/shot by a gang?
>>
>>28071751
Get Life
>>
>>28074793
>How much money is in that
Depends how much bulk you buy and how motivated you are to sell. You can buy 28g MDMA for like $400 on the darknet and sell it for $40/g in a couple of weeks if you're motivated, netting you $1120 for like 12 hours of work (although you would mostly be working weekends ofc). Coke is easier to sell but harder to get at a good price without getting into organised crime.

>how big is the chance of being caught/shot by a gang
Depends what you sell, where you sell it, where you buy it, who you buy it from and who you sell it to. You're way more likely to get shot selling heroin than LSD, way less likely to get caught or killed at a music festival, way more likely to get stabbed by a methhead than a stoner, etc.

As for being caught, if you know how to use the darknet, get a burner, don't move mad volume and generally aren't retarded, you're very unlikely to get caught.
>>
>>28071897
>>28071870
>>28071807
>>28071793
>life isn't a static final object

You only get one, senpaitachi, and once you fuck it up you can't change it
>>
>>28075031
>static
One program can contain multiple lives.
>final
Reincarnation.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.