[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: programminggirl.jpg (257 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
programminggirl.jpg
257 KB, 800x600
Making another programming help thread.
I'm aiming to sleep in one-two hours.
Thing is for the next two weeks it seems I won't have much to do.
I'm not looking to do your homework for you. My goal is for you to learn. So don't just throw your work at me. I can help you with anything really. Can do most imperative programming languages most likely (C/C++, Python, Java etc). Don't bother coming to me with haskell or scala.
Send me an email for my skype:[email protected]
Or we can just communicate via email.

http://desustorage.org/r9k/thread/27951983/
(Maybe look in the old thread first for answers to basic questions, I'm not mad if you ask again or anything. It gets cluttery though)
>>
>>28054662
p.s.
Accept any level of aptitude. But if you're on the high end don't expect me to be the best of help. A second pair of eyes on the code can help sometimes though.
>>
Would you be able to help someone who's trying to make a career programming? Like fill in the gaps that self teaching leaves? I know it's a long shot but still.
>>
>>28054800
I'm self-taught and unemployed myself but I don't think there's many gaps really. I have parents who do software development for industrial things, mainly embedded programming. You really don't need much.

What you do need is a portfolio. Since you're self taught you don't have a grade to back you up. If you have a github (or whatever, website) where you have projects that shows you know something there's no doubt that puts you ahead a lot of the time. Here anyway.

I can certainly fill in gaps. I think you could fill in some of mine too. Depends on where you are at of course.
>>
>>28054662
>>28054766
Why don't you just spend your time doing something productive instead. Why help random people?
Are you hoping to find girls this way or something? Poor field to help in anon.

Why don't you do stuff for yourself? Like, make something?
>>
>>28055026
Well I do have some things i could do but I don't feel like doing those things. I guess you could say I'm procrastinating.
>>
What can I actually do with programming apart from looping commands and get shit to say hi, seems pointless.
>>
>>28054662
My only hope to get of neetdom is to program. I already have my ccna and am tech literate. I bought a book on basic c, good or bad idea? I just want to make games that don't suck dick like everything coming it today
>>
>>28055209
Yeah if you have time there's never any harm in learning. And learning C/C++ in depth is one of the best ways to not make games that suck.
I don't personally consider buying books to be necessary for learning. Sure it can be useful for some. Some learn better from books than PDF's but I think you should probably at least save this:
https://hassanolity.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/the_c_programming_language_2.pdf
If not for learning (it's for people who already know programming)
Appendix A,B are very useful.
You can save my mail for any time you need to ask something. Don't pretend a question is too stupid to ask. There's no such thing.

Some people recommend languages other than C for beginners. I find C to be the best to start with and it's the most efficient time you can spend if you're aiming for C++ really. So stick with it. You're already invested.
>>
>>28055208
You can do anything that can be represented as a Turing-compatible algorithm as long as you have enough processing power and memory.
That includes almost everything imaginable.
>>
>>28054662
Hey anon, just wondering, how old are you to know all of these things?
How did you learn? School, by yourself?
Books? Resources?
>>
>>28055208
Well you can do anything on a computer. You can make a webpage. You can make programs that communicate via the internet. You can do all kinds of things. The only real limitation is your capacity to make things that can be controlled by your programs. IF you can see it being a thing in a computer. You can do it. Making robots and stuff is hard but you can do that too. My uncle made a robot using string and 3d printed plastic that can respond to basic commands. It can't walk yet though.

Usually the road there is pretty short when you know some basic things too. Libraries help you a lot. Libraries is code which you can use to do something.
>>28055364
I learned practically everything myself (parents haven't actually helped me aside from making my situation livable, had to salvage my own computer from a junkyard because not enough allowance to buy a PC). I have gone to school but I dropped out because of issues.

As for how I've learnt stuff it's really hard to tell. I've been programming for a long time. I did follow a course in highschool and that's probably the most focus I've had on a single source. It was a book. Really liked that teacher too.
I think the idea of being a "natural" is a bit superstitious in many ways but I guess that's a pretty decent way to describe it.
It's really not hard to get somewhere if you have someone to teach you though. I realized that when I watched handmadehero.org.
It's amazing how quickly I learned a lot of stuff. (mostly code architecture)
It's not for new programmers though. His intro to C might work if you're a savant but I doubt it.

I do think that if I had someone teaching me while I grew up I'd be far better off. Because I might have outrun my issues.
>>
>>28055505
>Because I might have outrun my issues.
Also no point in hiding anything. I started getting depressed at about 14 and it's been down hill since then. Now I don't really feel as attached to the world as I should. So the only thing keeping me going is family and the more abstract ideas of what I should be doing. Doing good things. Like encouraging proper political discourse and. This when I have time. I'm hoping to get better. But I don't have much I can do to waste my time really. A lot of waiting for therapists and stuff. I don't enjoy videogames or movies. The things I enjoy doing is learning and writing down ideas I have.
Tough to learn when depressed though. Don't have the drive. And I just write stuff whenever I can.

Also I guess this is in line with my political beliefs of anarchy in some ways. Kindness breeds kindness.
>>
Hey OP, I sent you an email.
>>
>>28055732
Responded- Add me already faggot.
>>
Can you help me with Linux, OP?
>>
>>28055928
What do you need help with?
More specifically. I'm not a Linux guy but I've dabbled.
>>
File: 1435297541749.png (148 KB, 395x395) Image search: [Google]
1435297541749.png
148 KB, 395x395
>>28055947

I want to do this

>crunchbang . org / forums viewtopic.php?id=18919

but on Arch.
>>
>>28055991
why not go to /g/? Ppl will actually help with Linux there
>>
>>28055991
>link broken
Sure you got that ID right?
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (30 KB, 800x200) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
30 KB, 800x200
>>28056062

I'm going to rephrase my question and post on /g/.

Basically, I don't know how to do this:

>add it to your $PATH environment variable
>add it to your startup applications in ~/.config/openbox/autostart
>>
What books would you recommend for a beginner and programming languages? I just got "head first Java" book. Also what language do you think more marketable?
>>
>>28056189
What shell are you using?

Basically you need to edit few config files.
>>
>>28056189
Post it in /sqt/.
I don't think you get much response if you just post a thread.

>>28056289
>Also what language do you think more marketable?
Too early to think about that.
>I just got "head first Java"
I have that book. Didn't appeal to me but it didn't seem too bad.
>what do you recommend
http://desustorage.org/r9k/thread/27951983/#27952038
Java works though. It's not like it's gonna ruin you. Just do it.
>>
>>28056189
>>28056306
You could ignore the $PATH part by moving the script to /usr/local/bin for example.
Pretty much any sane linux system will find your script there.

For the autostart part, add "nvautoadjust &"
to the ~/.config/openbox/autostart file
>>
>>28054662
>no HTML, CSS, Javascript/JQuery
I heard web programming is the robot career (since you can work at home).

I've avoided using the "float" style because I hear it makes your code messy (need more ids and classes for "clears"). Should I be using floats? I've been using position: absolute/relative and haven't been having many problems.
>>
>>28056189
>add to your $PATH environment variable
$ export PATH=/path/to/add:$PATH
if you want to make it persistent you can put that line (minus the $ of course, that's the shell prompt) in your .bashrc (I'm assuming here you're using bash of course)
>add it to your startup applications in [...]
elaborate please
>>
>>28056289
I learned C with the head first book. Good for beginner programmers.
And java is by far the most marketable language
>>
I've had basic education in BASIC, C, and Java and took some indipendent study classes where I taught myself C# through XNA.
then I fucked off and did drugs for a couple years while studying horticulture, and after realizing that I wasted my fucking time I've been thinking of getting back into programming.
for an easy/simple project I tried making an rpg engine in monogame, the evolution of XNA.
I was able to get a texture moving on the screen, do some basic animation, tried getting a tile engine working and got stuck because I was doing dumb shit with arrays.
how do I improve when I've already been educated and still can barely do things on my own?
also been doing courses on code academy to try and get myself back in the swing of things, but it's just not working.
>>
>>28056714
>how do I improve when I've already been educated and still can barely do things on my own?
Learn how to structure programs.
This is one of the things I found incredibly useful in handmadehero.org
I had never really written code that way before. I had a lot of planning ahead of time because I assumed it was better.
I think there's plenty of lessons to be learned there. He's very good at isolating things so he doesn't need to keep everything in his head. Which my planning often didn't quite achieve as well.

I also think that to get back into the swing of things having a tab of /g/'s /dpt/ might help if you're a 4chan addict like me. They're often silly but they can start arguments about code which catches your interest.
>>
>>28056714
not OP but nigga you've been doing well...
an rpg engine is a big project. You probably shouldn't take such a big project at this stage. Try smaller projects.
>>
Anyone have experience interfacing with i2c sensors?
My raspberry pi is giving me just the first byte, then a bunch of unpatterned junk.
Its gotta be python too
>>
>>28056189
>>add it to your $PATH environment variable
Open ~/.bashrc in any text editor and add PATH=/path/to/thing:$PATH

>add it to your startup applications in ~/.config/openbox/autostart
Open ~/.config/openbox/autostart and add whatever command you want to run on startup followed by &
>>
Ok good night.
Still accept emails of course.
>>
>>28054662
Where do I start learning C++?

Is learncpp the best start?
>>
>>28056189
Still alive anon?
>>
>>28057126

Yeah I'm taking notes before booting arch.
>>
>>28057112
>learncpp
Seems good enough.
>>
File: 4thEnglish.jpg (50 KB, 591x722) Image search: [Google]
4thEnglish.jpg
50 KB, 591x722
>>28057112
You could go straight to the original source.
You can probably find PDF book of it somewhere.
>>
>>28056831
>handmadehero.org
very useful, thank you.
I think that's what i've been missing, my head's full of the basic info. on programming language but I need to learn how to apply it.
thank you, through your post and googling I have also discovered scip, which I think i'll try and find a pdf of.
>>28056831
thank you, and I chose that project because it's graphical and fairly open ended meaning I can dick around but you're right.
doing some smaller more focused projects to better hone my skills is a really good idea.
>>
>>28057595
>scip
It's a good book. But I think it's more cumbersome than spending 200 hours on HMH.
>>
File: CE0Jp9_WMAI6eZB.png (157 KB, 515x656) Image search: [Google]
CE0Jp9_WMAI6eZB.png
157 KB, 515x656
>>28057330
I love how this thing looks like scientology propaganda.

pic related is my personal programming book rec. I heard it was good.
>>
I'm working on a rhythm game and I'm storing hit objects using JSON in java. Is initializing all of them at the beginning reasonab? Keeping them all moving constantly, but having them distanced off the screen seems like a bad way of doing it.
>>
>>28057997
Need more specific information to tell. I don't think you have to worry for any performance reasons in this day and age.
>>
>>28056603
Use a grid system or your shit is gonna get too convoluted to fix.
>>
>>28058042
I basically want circles to move across the screen according to the beat. I figured the easiest way is to just position them farther and farther to the side (off screen) so that at a certain point in time they will reach the hit area.
>>
>>28054662
can you be my mentor? I mean giving me stuff to do for motivation etc but letting me figure stuff out
it's my last resort I think
>>
>>28058179
Yes sure. Send me an email. Describe what you know. I'l send you my skype.
>>28058177
Hopefully browsers don't render objects that are off screen. The way I'd do it is adding/recycling objects at a regular pace and sample which ones from whatever format you have defined for storing the beat.
>>
Cool thread op. I'm making a beta uprising fsp
>>
>>28058248
I had tried a buffer but I'm not sure recycling objects would be okay because I have a predefined number with their own values. I'll just look into initializing them in pieces as necessary.
>>
>>28058304
Good luck with that. Just make sure it doesn't produce any real life consequences you will regret.

Unlikely. As there's no significant correlation between violent videogames and crime.
>>
>>28058248
you mean I need prior knowledge?
>>
>>28058409
No I mean the opposite. I just want to know where you are even if nowhere. Just mail me.
>>
>>28058409
Do you want me to reply or not?
>>
>>28058693
what kind of question is that? I guess so?
>>
>>28058764
I'l flip a coin.
>>
File: 1438785232074.png (266 KB, 313x396) Image search: [Google]
1438785232074.png
266 KB, 313x396
>>28054662
>too dumb for /g/ dpt general so you post on /r9k/
>>
>>28054662
I have almost no experience with programming but I have a great idea for an application. If I wanted to make an art program, something akin to paint tool sai, what language should I be looking to do it in?
>>
that feel when just solved a couple challenges
my code is messy af though, I haven't learned the language well yet
but the feeling is real and it is good bots, I suggest you get on with it
>>
>>28059029
python
origins of originality
>>
>>28054662
I have to make a webserver using tomcat which connects with a mysql database through java. How do I go about this? I already connected to the database using java, but I dont know where to go from there. Any tips? Can you point me in the right direction?
>>
Just use Hackerrank
>>
>>28054662
Skipped class yesterday.
>>
>>28060037
Aw. How come?
>>28059890
Not familiar sorry.

Sorry for a late reply. I was helping someone.
>>
>>28060832
That's okay, anon. Thanks, anyway.
>>
I can't get myself to start a project. I'm self-taught but I go to school for cs. I need a portfolio because my grades suck.
>>
>>28058885
/dpt/ does a lot of things well. But the exchanges are very slow compared to a Skype call and it really doesn't really work well.
>>28059914
Why would I do programming assignments for no gain when I could help people? As in they learn something and the world is in a better place.

Also note about the OP. Probably the last thread I'l be doing in quite a while. Got like 9 people now.
>>28061146
I'm not the best at motivation. Just where do you fail? Do you set up a development environment or do you just decide to do something and then stop?

Maybe if we just talk about it for a while and get you going it might work. Email.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.