[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Depression is a meme. Being sad and feeling down is a part of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: depression-warning-sign-rev.jpg (105 KB, 931x667) Image search: [Google]
depression-warning-sign-rev.jpg
105 KB, 931x667
Depression is a meme.
Being sad and feeling down is a part of life.

>You are 10 years old. Your mother and father died in a car accident. You are sad. You have every right to be sad. You are not depressed. You don't have a disease. You shouldn't take anti depression pills.

>You are ugly and you know you will never attract a female. You are sad because it is something you want. You are not depressed, diseased. Your feelings are correct.

>You are old and have no education, no skills, no job, no money, no family. You are right to feel hopeless about the situation. It's not the disease making you feel hopeless, it's the situation in which you are.

I know what is coming now. "but muh chemical imbalanced", "but muh sadness for no reason"

Think about it. How many people diagnosed with depression are diagnosed because of their chemical imbalance? Almost no one.
How many people are depressed when they have no problems? Again, almost no one.
>>
Oh, OK, random faggot on the internet. I'm totally convinced.
>>
>>28042483
What proof does he need to convince you? If you don't realize what a massive jew meme depression is you have to be really dumb.
>>
>>28042406
>How many people are depressed when they have no problems? Again, almost no one.

I beg to differ.
>>
>>28042512
>he
Sure thing, OP. You switch those pronouns around if it makes you feel better.
>>
>>28042536
I have never met anyone who was depressed for no reason and I have seen many "depressed" people.
>>
>>28042406
Depression is about the way someone handles their sadness, and not solely on experiencing sadness.

Is that such a hard concept to grasp?
>>
>>28042556
I have almost no responsibilities, no major problems, and almost limitless possibilities.

Yet I still hate myself, feel miserable most of the time, and constantly fixate on fixation of whatever form is available to escape reality. Yeah, my brain sure is functioning great.
>>
>>28042406
Depression is such an ambiguously defined condition with such an ambiguous etiology that it's completely useless as a diagnosis.

Let's take a look at the HAM-D, the standard depression diagnostic tool, shall we?

http://www.psy-world.com/online_hamd.htm

Symptoms that contribute to "depression":
Insomnia
Psychomotor Retardation
Hypochondria
Genital Symptoms

It's just all over the place. It's a clusterfuck.

There are a hundred different depressions with a hundred different causes. Poor nutrition, poor life circumstances, brain damage, who the fuck knows?
>>
Depression is truly a meme. I think for other reasons.

You never see a poor person in an under-developed country have any of the meme mental illnesses (depression, anxiety, "wrong gender at birth" etc).

Why? Because they have real problems. People in developed countries make their own problems such as mental illnesses.

It's just people blowing their feelings out of proportion. "Oh no i feel bad about this, i must be depressed!" then you continue feeling bad about it until it takes control over your life because your life is so boring you actually make your own problems.
>>
>>28042666
Third world countries don't have many psychologists or psychiatrists, congratulations for figuring that out.
>>
File: Smiling_Cat.jpg (41 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
Smiling_Cat.jpg
41 KB, 620x620
>>28042512
>jew meme
Wrong board my friend
>>
>>28042666
See
>>28042583

Different people handle their emotions differently, regardless of their life situation or how much they're dealing with.
>>
>>28042710
>I dont handle my emotions well
>Ah it seems you have depression and should be medicated immediately
you really couldn't have been more specific
absolutely nailed it
>>
>>28042781
It's sad that the industry of psychiatry is used primarily for making money.

Psychiatrists don't actually care about successfully treating their patients, as long as they get to keep receiving their six figures for literally shilling (and I MEAN literally) as many medications as they can pick off of a list.

The state of mental health care is abysmal. It's much better to self-treat through coping mechanisms.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.