[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
a question for you older friends here i am, awake in the wee
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1449117959992.jpg (150 KB, 797x957) Image search: [Google]
1449117959992.jpg
150 KB, 797x957
a question for you older friends

here i am, awake in the wee hours of the morning again, liable to sleep in to 3 or 4 again and a thought occurred to me: do people stay up later than they used to due to things like the internet, smartphones, and social media? it's not just neet losers, my coworkers used to be up till 2 or 3 to work morning shifts. people don't get a lot of sleep anymore.

i'm wondering what time people who were in their teens/young adulthood went to sleep in the early 90's, 80's, 70's, ...

of course there has been electricity for some time now, as there have been television and radios and books .. it's not like i think the internet has finally given us something to do all night, but i have a feeling especially with laptops and portable phones it has given us something more addictive that is keeping us up all night

thoughts?
>>
Bump
I'm actually interested in this too.

I think in the pre internet era, they would have gone to bed earlier.
>>
How fucking old are you kids goddamn I played vidya all night
>>
No.

I got a PC for "school" in the early 90s.

One time I spent so long playing DOOM that I got so physically ill from being on the computer for so long that I couldn't get out of bed for 3 days straight.

And so began my PC gaming addiction.
>>
>>28039234
>>28039276
i guess i factor videogames into this too

>How fucking old are you kids goddamn
i was born 1991
>>
>>28039582
* to clarify, i factor videogames into internet etc.

i'm wondering about the pre-gaming era
>>
Yes. Yes they do. I believe there are studies.
>>
I would read the manuals from my video games, back in the old days the video game manuals were all very large and detailed, I even remember loaning out my video game manuals to poorfags so they could read them. Also reading video game magazines over and over and over looking at upcoming releases etc.
>>
I remember watching a lot of infomercials till like 3. Actually it was the only time we got wrasslin' in the early 90's so i remember staying up for that too.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 187x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 187x250
>>28039109

I'm 28. In the late 90s as a kid I couldn't really do anything at night, I had to at least pretend I was trying to sleep.

In the summers I was often up all night. I would watch the same MTV videos over and over and over. I could say I fell asleep with the TV on.

There were no smart phones or tablets. Occasionally there were Girls Gone Wild commercials, those were nice.
>>
Some time ago I remember reading about how our bodies produce melatonin, a hormone that tells our body when to sleep, based on the light levels our eyes are receiving. Anyway, the claim was that televisions, computer screens, and to an even greater extent, light pollution in locations like Las Vegas, all work towards confusing our brains into producing less melatonin, keeping us awake longer.

Anyone could probably google that shit and find out if im full of shit or not, but there you go, that's what I've been taking as fact for a decade or so now.
>>
>>28039829
poorfag detected

I am 28 as well, 29 soon.

In the late 90s I was playing MMORPGs and RTS games online like age of empires.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.