[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good afternoon robots. Are you living a meaningful life? Wh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Diogenes.jpg (86 KB, 621x650) Image search: [Google]
Diogenes.jpg
86 KB, 621x650
Good afternoon robots.

Are you living a meaningful life? What is a meaningful life?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/more-meaningful-life_b_8118754.html

This article covers some components of the meaningful life. What can we do to achieve it?
>>
File: whatyoupostedwasdisgustin.jpg (64 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
whatyoupostedwasdisgustin.jpg
64 KB, 400x400
>>28024201
> huffpost
>>
This article does a good job of showing the differences between a happy life and a meaningful life.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/january/meaningful-happy-life-010114.html

I think most robots here, especially the NEETS seek the happy life, one free from stresses, focused on the self, seeking out pleasures rather than a meaningful one which can I think make you feel like life isn't really worth living. That's a sentiment often expressed here.

I would argue many here do not pursue the meaningful life to their own detriment, and even to the loss of other people.
>>
>>28024359
Don't worry /pol/ I posted one from Stanford that says much of the same.
>>
>>28024382
> disliking a news outlet with absolutely no integrity makes you /pol/

You're not very wise today, happy person
>>
>>28024444
2/10 kiddo, please level up.

Stay on topic, do you have a meaningful life?
>>
>this is a meaningful life because we said so
>>
>>28024540
That's actually part of it anon. People who believe certain things about their lives, like that it has a purpose, makes it more meaningful.

You're catching on champ!
>>
Any brobots with meaningful lives? Cuz I know most here feel it's pointless.
>>
Fuck no bitch my lofe fucking sux i think ill just hang myself tonight
>>
>>28025401
Well you can make your life meaningful.

If you feel suicidal call the suicide hotline. But long term doing certain things like helping other people, developing social relationships, contributing to a cause or important role, can all make your life more meaningful.
>>
I don't think it is possible to have a meaningful life. We will all die, and so will anyone who remembers us or our achievements. All record of our existence will be deleted and it will be as if we were never here in the first place. It doesn't matter what you learn, what you build, what you leave behind, how many kids you have, what kind of life you lived or what kind of death you had. It doesn't matter if you feel complete and learn a lot about your inner self and become at peace with the world. You're still going to die. And eventually every single human will be dead. The earth will die. The universe will die. And it will all be for nothing.
>>
>>28024201
Living a meaningful life is extremely simple, you only need to do two things; want less, and get what you want.

There are many ways to go about doing this.
>>
>>28026598
So life would only be meaningful if it never ended?

>>28026645
If you actually read the articles you would know that this lifestyle contributes to happiness, not meaning.

Read them and share your thoughts.
>>
>>28026723
No, life would maybe, MAYBE be kind of meaningful if we could actually affect real positive change and had end goals to look forward to as a civilization. As it stands, even if the universe wasn't doomed to end I wouldn't particularly want to help the human race advance because I hate every single member of it including and especially myself. We might as well not exist outside of our own minds, no one actually means anything to another person. Only what they represent. Like, I have friends but I only like them for what they give me; attention, comfort, etc. Look at the world around you. Everyone else is the same way. Human beings do not exist. There is no "you." "Personality" can only be defined in relation to other things, like your taste in media or differences from people around you.I honestly have no idea what people did or talked about before TV came around. Life is so boring and empty. It's impossible to have a real connection with other people or the world around you because it's like Minecraft or something. We are just looking for new resources to build things out of. But to what end? When do we reach "Game Over"? When is our story complete? It never is. There is no goal. There is no winning. There is only drifting and suffering and boredom.
>>
>>28026723
There's no such thing as meaningless happiness.
>>
File: gdpit_com_895015_4.jpg (4 KB, 100x91) Image search: [Google]
gdpit_com_895015_4.jpg
4 KB, 100x91
Stop searching for meaning. Accept the absurd.
>>
>>28026883
But we can effect positive social change. I'm a teacher, that's how I do it. Other people are nurses and help alleviate suffering, some engineer new space technologies, others write brilliant novels that make is understand ourselves in new ways. All contributing to a slow and gradual progression of a better world.

Ok, so you are as you are, but you erroneously assume everyone is like you. They aren't, I and millions of others form intimate connections with other human beings, and this gives us meaning and purpose. It doesn't always work, and sometimes fails, but when it succeeds you know how true and good it is.

You might have issues with connecting with others. Before modern technology people still loved, had conversations, built things, and wondered. We just have more entertainment.

All because the story doesn't have a definite endpoint, doesn't mean the journey is not valuable. Also who knows, maybe there is an endpoint.

>>28026906
Yes there is, a hedonistic self serving life is pretty meaningless. It feels good, but good feelings alone are not enough to have a meaningful life. It can certainly be PART of it, but by itself is merely masturbation.

If it's not connected to helping others also be happy, it is immature, self contradictory. If your happiness is important, so is others, and acting on that fact is where the meaning arises.
>>
>>28026952
I have. Things are pretty absurd. The next step is to overcome the absurd and create meaning.

I spit in the face of the absurd.
>>
>>28027066
>If it's not connected to helping others also be happy, it is immature, self contradictory.
According to who? You?

I'm not responsible for the happiness of others.
>>
>>28027066
I'm sorry but I just can't buy into positive social change. If you are well educated and die you're dead. If you dropped out of 3rd grade and die you're dead. If you suffer and suffer in a work camp for years and die you're dead. If you live a normal life and die you're dead.

The only thing that makes me ever feel truly alive is my recent exploration of cocaine, which is the only thing in this world I can say that I really and truly love.
>>
>>28027109
We are all responsible for each other. No man is an island.

>>28027200

I don't follow your logic. Why does death undo the meaning?

I'm sure your cociane experience will end after an hour or so, yet it is still a valuable experience to you. And life, even though it ends eventually can still be lived in meaningful pursuits like helping others suffer less, because while they experience suffering it is very real even if it will eventually end in death, in the present getting help is the most meaningful thing imaginable.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.