[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello Robots, I am bored therefore storytime and ask me anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1
Hello Robots,

I am bored therefore storytime and ask me anything stuff

Let's start off with how i went full postal dude

> Working for Free to Play Video Game Company
> 2 years in the industry doing community and marketing stuff
> Still pretty happy about my job and just got a new project to manage
> My office phone rings and i pick up
> Woman on the other side explains she works for a governement agency and request my help
> I asked what for
> She said they are holding a panel of speakers for children and parents about the dangers of gaming addiction
> I said well she shall give me more info
> Says she will write me a mail
> Get info : speaker panel is awesome, it would be someone from the school board, a parent representative, a glorified overpaid addiction shrink, a 21 year old WoW addict in treatment and me representing the game industry.
> Signmeup.jpg
> Plan ahead in the upcoming week
> Want to keep face and defend gamers and the industry infront of SJW's
> Arrive at location 3 hours early due to planning and seeing questions ahead
> Everybody is pretty nice and explains to me that i have to be the villain in the panel and that no attacks that will be made are meant personal.
> Fuck that shit, attack me all you want i have arguments
> See qt reporter coming in, knew her from years before
> Start having a drink and munch and talk with her
> Panel about to start and i didn't really plan ahead due to qt
> No i dea what they will ask me

Shall i continue Robots ?
>>
why do retards ask if they should continue. write the fucking story and post it, do you REALLY care what we think? if you did you wouldnt have made this thread.

fucking retarded cunt
>>
>>28016623
ok i'll just continue then, thank you for at least showing a live sign.
>>
>>28016641
>this hungry for attention

are you a woman?
>>
>>28016524
if you successfully defend the legacy of gamers
>>
>>28016663
nope i am a fucking withe cis gendered male
>>
>>28016710
why dont you just post the fucking story already you attention whore faggot
>>
> Panel starts and glorified shrink starts off talking about addiction in games with social pressure
> Asks me why industry forces the players to constantly play the games (such as WoW) to progress and why this is a social in game pressure
> WTF is WoW all those idiots know ? I played WoW for 3 months and hated it i don't know shit about WoW and i am not Blizzard, in fact the company i worked for is far worse
> Explain that social features in game are meant to help players progressing and that they are not meant to be pressure object. And that Pay 2 Play MMORPs are designed that playing or not playing does not really make a difference regarding the progress of your character.
> He admits that people might as well not play the game but that they might feel pressured by the fact that they pay to play and wanna get the most of their money.
> I told him that that might be a state of mind but that you might also have an expensive bed but that this doesn't necessarly mean that you have to never get out of bed only to get your money worth.
> That seemed to go well because now the school board representative and the shrink start bashing the guy who is a WoW addict.
> I noticed that he rarely replied and that they seemed to pin him on the fact that he plays without asking why.
> The panel goes on for another 20 minutes and all i get to say is basic stuff about how games monetise and how communities are managed and games get marketed.
> Later a few of the audience had questions for me regarding age restrictions and so on nothing fancy
> But i had something different in mind
> I wanted to have a talk with the guy that was a WoW addict
> So at the buffet i got 2 beers and sat with and we started the chat
>>
> I asked him how he started gaming
> He told me that he was always interested in gaming but that his parents being wealthy fucks were more concerned about his eductaion
> So even tough he owned a PC he never could play much online games because his dad always turned the router off after about 30 minutes each day
> So he started indulging in games when his parents were on business trips etc.
> But that he really started becoming hardcore once he studied abroad and his parents lost control over him
> What i found out that the guy was a pretty intelligent dude and that he knew that he should study but that the gaming took his mind off other topics and he felt achievement while doing it.
> Suddenly the glorified overpaid shrink joined us
> Telling me that the boy made such good progress and that he plays alot less, even tough the guy seemed to have hinted otherwise in our previous discussion
> At some point the shrinks rambling goes on my nerves and i decide to step outside for a smoke
> The WoW addict follows me asking me about my job and how i got it because he would love doing something similar.
> I told him to keep in touch and that i might be able to hook him up with an internship if needed.
> I left the premises with a feel of incomplition but that shouldn't be the end of it.
>>
God OP you're a piece of shit, next time type out your stupid story before you post a thread

Goodnight guys
>>
> About 6 Months pass and i grew more and more tired and uncomfortable with my job and the whole industry
> Gamergate started to become a thing and i agreed with GG on most points
> Suddenly the governement calls again for yet another panel, this time one with international students on exchange
> Was supposed to take place in a nice Hotel and last longer then the previous one.
> Once again i got a mail and this time it included a fucking money grabbing cellphone game developer.
> And i hate those fucks with a passion
> Also the shrink was back in, the school representative and someone from the ministry of education
> The WoW addict was not on the panel
> Same as before i arrived at the Hotel a week later for lunch and discussion.
> First thing i asked is the whereabouts of the WoW addict.
>>
> Glorified shrink told me he can't come because he is back gaming full time and that he refused further treatment.
> Instead at being angry at the gamer i was angry at the shrink but really pissed, like totally pissed.
> Also the smartphone app guy was going on my nerves talking to me like i was on his fucking side.
> Asking me stuff off panel of course, about how long our games go until we force the users to pay and turn full scale pay to win.
> He had tried 45 minutes to be the exact time to get someone hooked on a licensed movie game like a building simulation and then they start buying small amount of speed ups.
> I already hated that guy with a passion it was surreal.
> After lunch i had to step outside for a smoke.
> Some swedish dude started talking to me about my job and my role here.
> I asked him if he games or not without answering his question
> He said no, he doesn't like it.
> So i told him then i am the guy you can bash once the panel starts. Good Luck.
> I went back inside and took my seat with the speakers, audience was packed.
>>
> I was angry at the shrink, angry at that app developer, angry at myself for being here and still angry at my company.
> Now it is time to shine i taught.
> My whole planned papers i threw them in the bin, i was determined to say something else.
> The room was full of students from economy to informatics to whatever and some up and coming industry people aswell as parent and school representatives.
> Even politicians were there.
> The Education guy started off with the dangers of purchases in cellphone games.
> The Cellphone guy shrugged it off with the fact that you have to have payment option, credit cards etc, so kids should not be able to access premium content and also there were parental locks on cellphones etc etc.
> Damn that paid Shill i was in awe how anybody can sell out way.
> I felt like i sold out last time as well, i was about to make a change.
>>
>>28017123
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmore op
were you paid to do this shit like wtf?
>>
> The attention turned to me, spearheaded by the shrink explaining that it is the industries resposability to restrict play times on games
> I told him that intelligent people know how to stop and that it is people like him who declare illness
> Also that if we would restrict playing time he couldn't pretend to treat someone which makes absolutely no sense otherwise the WoW addict would be here.
> Explained that it is not an illness but a choice where to set your priorities and that everyone should start cleaning the dirt in front of its own door before holding someone else responsible.
> Laughter, silence, a few claps and a deep red face of the shrink
> Eduction guy steps back in bashing app developer
> App developer shills for his company
> Then i got asked a question from the audience
> Which turned the tide completely
>>
>>28017214
hurry it up op now now
>>
> The Audience memebr agreed that cellphone games are bad with the school board but wanted to know if i think teh company i work for was any better in points of security
> I cracked, i took the mic and stood up walking in front of the audience and the panel.
> No we are not better, in fact everyone can shill all they want here and pretend to defend what they do in life
> Every Free to Play Company, cellphone or PC , even console companies do those games with one thing in mind, and this goes for indie developers as well.
> When i was a kid my mom bought me Zelda for NES and it was pretty expensive
> But i had a good game which i could fully enjoy for month and years come
> Audience was listening closely and everyone was staring at me
> Now imagine me putting in that Zelda and playing it
> Now imagine an 8 year old kids face if the game suddenly stopped before the final boss
> And imagine my moms face if i would have told her the game stopped and told us to buy another Zelda Add on for half the price of the original one to continue playing.
>>
cont plz
>>
> Some people got it and started laughing already
> I continues and said
> This is what the game industry does nowadays it conditions children and adults to be prepared for additional cost
> And even worse Free 2 Play industries target the weakest of the weak, those without direct access to money
> Kids download free to play games because their parents don't give them steam credit or a playstation on their old beat up computers
> Then they go to gas stations and buy prepaid cards to load up credit to buy a hat, a weapon a speed up whatever
> In the end they did spend 4 times the amount of a AAA Game on a game nobody would have paid a cent for normally
> Just because the game was free and designed to make em pay.
> Are we bad people ? Yes we are we take from the poor and give to the rich
> I looked at the parents representative
> Are you at fault ? Yes you are, you sit your kids in front of games so you can go on with lives instead of playing ball with them outside
>>
>>28017288
NES sucked dick and so does Zelda. Master System master race here. Get fucked Yankees.
>>
OP you're getting fucking fired
>>
> You don't even take the time to check what your kids are playing and give them smartphones they don't need at the age of 6
> I turned to the school guys
> Are you at fault ? Yes you are, you have boring school programs, you could use modern ways to teach kids but you don't
> This is why they turn so much to technology, it is omnipresent just not where the kids have to be, in school
> And then i turned to the shrink and said
> And you are the worst of them all, if people and kids would finally step up and take responsability for what they do you would be out of job.
> So it is in your best interest that they don't
> Audience started laughing, some clapped , i refixed the mic
> Said thank you for your attention and for not interrupting me, sorry if i bored you
> I took my coat and left the room behind, stepping to my car and leaving
>>
>>28017417
>so edgy
>much moral outrage
>wowe
>wew lad
>>
heuury up feg'
>>
> The day after i quit my job.
> Found a new one, a more worldly one.
> Became a parent to my son and got wife.
> To this day i selectively play games and write the occasional review.
> All keeping in mind that for myself i stood up.
> I didn't stand up for SJW, nor for gamers, nor did i for Gamergate.
> I did it for me, because i saw those years in that industry, a monster i didn't want to become.
> And i understood that balance is the key. It doesn't matter if you are pro or anti something.
> I saw that both sides were monsters and that i had a different choice.
> Which was not giving a fucking Fuck.
> The End
>>
very cewngrats
>>
>>28017180
I was paid to work in the game industry i wasn't paid to do those panels as it was meant to be for education and governement related parenting stuff
>>
>>28017377
Well i was eight and nobody had a master system
>>
>>28017559
Where do you work now? Doing triple A stuff?
>>
>>28017661
No i don't work in the game industry anymore.
I actually got a AAA offer to work in the US but i didn't take it.

I do much more money now and have more free time working in sales and logistics.
>>
if that isn't a fake good job op, you did well
>>
>>28017768
it's not fake, it happened about 2 years ago
>>
>>28017781
nice job then, but I didn't quite understand one thing, you did have a son during all thoses events and found a wife afterward ?
>>
>>28017804
No no sorry that might be confusing.

My gf was pregnant during those events, then my son was born and shortly after that we married so she became my wife.
>>
Do you think you can find a recording anywhere?
it seemed like a semi big event there might be a video somewhere.
>>
i have a recording of the first event on my computer at home.

The second was supposed to be put online but that appearently never happened.
I also never received a copy of the second event.
>>
>>28017884
Sorry forgot to link it to you

>>28017924
>>
>>28017559
you realize teachers are paid money, right? why would "its for education" excuse not getting paid anything?
>>
>>28018404
it was a governement held panel and it was during working hours , therefore everyone was paid by their usual employers.

I am pretty sure that me, the app dude, the teacher and the WoW Guy did not get paid extra for it.

Unsure about the shrink however
>>
>>28017732
That sounds great. Good for you.
>>
too long faggot
>>
>>28018711
Thank you

Anyhow i am interested in how you guys handle your gaming
>>
>>28018766
you're welcome faggot
>>
You did a good thing OP, as someone who doesn't buy into that free-to-play nonsense I'm proud of you.
>>
>>28019722
thanks.

I can tell you from experience that the ones that actually buy into f2p, facebook and cellphone games, well so called freemium games, are actually people who have too much time and little monetary resources.

And without knowing they spent up to 150 to 200 a month on a game.

Luckily f2p paying users are less then 3% of the people who play the game, but once they start paying they can't stop.

I have seen ridicoulos number mate.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.