[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are kids today so fascinated by old shit? >flannel and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: mumfordsons.jpg (420 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mumfordsons.jpg
420 KB, 1920x1080
Why are kids today so fascinated by old shit?

>flannel and suspenders
>Dali mustaches and full beards
>folk guitar on pop radio
>vintage everything

Aren't they supposed to be forging their own culture and identity as opposed to adapting somebody else's?
>>
>>28012928

It's fucking temporal appropriation.

Shit has to stop.
>>
>>28012928
Read the book "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. He explains that people listen to music that fits categories of music because it is calming. He discusses it way better than I can. Listening to old sounding music with old looking images is as comforting as seeing my grandpa.
>>
>>28012928
Well, if you wear old clothing you are an autist. But fashion changes all the time. Just look at women's hats. But things like classical music and famous paintings are something that anyone could appreciate. And you see that only technology has improved, not human skill. The human skill was just as good, if not better, centuries ago, and we have monuments to prove it.
>>
>>28012928
For the same reason pirates are cool. It's so far in the past it no longer affects us so we get to pretend it was all shits giggles
>>
op sound obvious as they are
>>
File: 1369168919587.jpg (50 KB, 490x427) Image search: [Google]
1369168919587.jpg
50 KB, 490x427
>Britbongs trying to do American folk music

Kek
>>
>>28013779
Pirates have always been around, and still are. It still affects use. No I am not talking about the Somalian pirates, I'm talking of course about internet piracy. Yeah, you think it is okay, well how about you personally take money out of a musicians pocket. See how long he puts up with that shit. Internet piracy is not okay. People work for a living. Work produces. When people can't make a living working, work doesn't get done. No production. You understand? No more music, TV, movies, paintings, etc. Give these people some denars.
>>
File: 1459211668224.jpg (42 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
1459211668224.jpg
42 KB, 550x412
>>28012928
several reasons
>reminds them of a time of cultural legitimacy instead of the consumer wasteland left by corporatism and manufacturing
>it is an old, therefore truer aesthetic
>it is pleasing; caters to a sense of taste
>the appearance of refinement as compared to the fashion of today
>it is a subculture that appeals to wealthy upperclass youth and artistic people
>further made popular by social media and the hipster 'movement'
>>
uhh you're kind of behind about four years dude. that style has been over for a while
>>
>>28013048
The past is just another untapped market, anon. Good profit to be made.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.