[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's that "moving to Japan" goal coming alon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 201x251
How's that "moving to Japan" goal coming along, robots?

https://youtu.be/ToixMQm-TEI
>>
>>28012147
lol no that's for weeaboo losers
>>
>>28012231
You're just a regular loser, then?
>>
>>28012254
in love and relationships yes, but i love my career and life
>>
>>28012300
>career
Doing what? Bagging groceries?
>>
My girlfriend wants to do this.
I don't have the heart to tell her how fucking retarded she's being.
>>
>>28012320
biochemistry still studying tho, i got a scholarship
>>
File: old father.jpg (106 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
old father.jpg
106 KB, 900x600
>>28012147
are you still gonna move to Japan without at least learning a bit of their culture and language beyond what you see in those chinese cartoons champ?

You think those japanese women are just gonna flock to you because you're american?

ah, okay then..... i hope you have a nice one over in japan anyway son...
>>
Black female weeaboo. What the fuck?
>>
>>28012375
I'm not fluent by any means, but I've at least taken Japanese 202 from my university, so I'm not just weeb trash. As for their culture? Come on. This is something you realistically can learn from animoo.
>>
>>28012147
>my mom knows i like some video games
>that must mean I LOVE the japanese
>she wants to go to japan despite the fact that none of my family speaks japanese
what the fuck man, and no i dont care about learning japanese, im gonna wait for fan translations if i have to
>>
>>28012483
He's another vidya dweeb.
>>
>>28012607
at least i dont waste my time learning a useless, dying language
>>
>>28012644
>implying there aren't more people who speak Japanese than ever
>>
>>28012671
only that tiny chain of islands and weebs do it
>>
>>28012671
>more of them die than are born
>>
>>28012697
>weebs still replace them
>>
>>28012147
Aside from the recent devastating earthquakes, not bad.
>>
File: CIgC60CUMAAErQ8.jpg large.jpg (51 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
CIgC60CUMAAErQ8.jpg large.jpg
51 KB, 576x1024
>>28012147
I wouldn't really want to live there permanently I don't think, but I am making progress both in learning Japan and my prospective career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1iYKB-Rrag
>>
>>28012796
>I wouldn't really want to live there permanently
Why not? It's pretty nice.
>>
>watch this video of whiny americans going to japan
>don't need to go to japan anymore
>I got the full experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxGXEGnmyPE
>>
>>28012839
>wanting to move to a country where the population is so retarded that they can't fire you properly
anyone who says that japan seems nice doesn't actually know anything about it
>>
>>28012363
Have fun when it falls to shit.
>>
>>28012875
I've experienced both cultures. The working environment for the Japanese is absolutely horrible, but if you're self-employed, it's a wonderland.
>>
>>28012875
I'm not saying it seems nice, I'm saying it is nice. I've lived here for half a decade and am in it for the long run. It's lovely.
>>
>>28012897
most people here already can't stand the work culture in their respective countries, and i SINCERELY doubt they'd like the japanese one better
>>
File: 1460683036395.webm (354 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
1460683036395.webm
354 KB, 900x506
Been here for 4 years, senpai. I love it, going to live here forever.
>>
>>28012901
i don't know how you can stand that culture of lies and modesty

even the japanese hate it after they go on vacation somewhere else

they're the kind of people who will tell you that you're very fluent in japanese even if you aren't just to be polite
>>
>>28012913
Europe is by far the best place to work, but again, if you're your own boss, Japan is the greatest place to live.
>>
>>28012963
Are you white? Have you gotten a qt Japanese girlfriend yet?
>>
>>28012964
>just to be polite
I honestly think it's more of a knee-jerk reaction to say something like "Wow, you speak Japanese so well!" or "Wow, you can use chopsticks!" etc. rather than a conscious effort to be polite. That's not to say that they don't do that as well, and while it can be frustrating, it's easy to get used to. Also
>listing "modesty" as a negative

>>28012963
Nice. Where about are you living? I'm in Kyushu.
>>
>>28012839
way too pricey for my taste anon, and there's loads of things here that I couldn't find there. If I did marry a Japanese girl I wouldn't mind moving in, but I like where I live already.
>>
>>28013088
>listing "modesty" as a negative
i'd rather have honest people than modest people

the japanese are frustratingly modest people and will lie to you
>>
>>28013056
White as can be and yes I do, she's quite nice.

>>28013088
Saitama at the moment. How's Kyushu? Can't imagine living that far from Tokyo personally, kind of attached to it.
>>
>>28013099
>too pricey
Really? Other than land and fruit, maybe cheese, the prices aren't too different from back home. Guess it all depends on where you're coming from.

>loads of things here that I couldn't find there
Well, sure. There are also loads of things in Japan that you can't find where you are. Are those really things that you can't live without?
>>
>>28012963
Do you know Japanese?
>>
>>28013115
They become more honest as you get to know them, and as I said, you get used to the nature of hiding their true thoughts and actually come to be able to understand (at least partially) their true feelings.

>frustratingly modest
Care to expand?

>>28013187
Shaky. But it's usually really nice. The people are incredibly friendly and the scenery is just gorgeous. I visited Tokyo for the first time last summer and, I've got to say, I don't really see the appeal...

How's Saitama?
>>
>>28013243
I heard that cheese was extremely rare. Or at the very least that the variety of cheese is next to nothing, like in the typial supermarket you just have shredded pizza cheese, some sort of cheese product, and maybe a generic brick of cheddar.
I'm totally autist when it comes to cheese and I HAVE to eat a whole bunch of variety of it every single night. It enhances dreams because of the tryptophan.
>>
>>28013292
Yeah but I hesitate to say I'm fluent. When I came here I didn't know a lick of Japanese outside of shit from anime but I can have conversations now and read at least. I still struggle a little though but I started slacking once I got the basic jist down to be honest, just kind of learning by living it.

>>28013319
Yeah that sucks about the quakes, that shit would scare the fuck out of me. Saitama's great, the people are super nice and it's much more quiet than Tokyo. It's very peaceful and clean, some nice scenery but as much as the countryside. I like Tokyo but I would never live there. I work in Tokyo so I go there a lot, that commute is killer though. I'm too used to city life to ever live in the country though.
>>
>>28013381
When I was in some random konbini in Osaka looking for a map, they sent me to the cheese section. I didn't see much of a difference.
>>
File: 1460870934154.jpg (101 KB, 778x674) Image search: [Google]
1460870934154.jpg
101 KB, 778x674
My bosses friend wants to marry me so she can get an american greencard...I could get a jap one if I did that but I don't want to risk getting arrested for fraud
>>
>>28012450
>As for their culture? Come on. This is something you realistically can learn from animoo.

wat m8
>>
>>28013381
There are only a few varieties of cheese available in your typical supermarket. This is to accommodate the Japanese palate - many Japanese people will tell you that they don't like cheese. The cheese you do find there is generic mild cheese, Camembert, maybe some lower quality gouda and maybe some lower quality cheddar. It's also expensive. There are specialty shops, but they are also quite expensive.

But, coming from a cheese head, it's doable.

>enhances dreams because of the tryptophan
Chill out, dude.
>>
>>28013473
Yeah, the big one we got in the middle of the night scared me to death. Lost most of my glasses and mugs in that. Now, we're getting torrential rain so I'm actually under an evacuation advisory now (they are telling people to be ready to evacuate) due to landslides and floods.

Do you take the train to Tokyo or do you have a car?
>>
File: 1438235787855.jpg (49 KB, 421x422) Image search: [Google]
1438235787855.jpg
49 KB, 421x422
>>28013473
>going to japan without knowing japanese
But how did you expect to survive out there?
>>
>>28012147
>moving to Japan
I gave up on that as totally unrealistic about eight years ago, after trying and failing miserably to learn the language.
>>
>>28012147

IF I HAVE TO HEAR THIS FUCKING STOCK MUSIC ONE MORE TIME I SWEAR I'M GONNA CHOKE A BITCH
>>
>>28013729
Good. Focus on something that's actually important. I hope most weebs on here will grow up and come to the same realization.
>>
>>28012147
Underwater Ray Romano was a good game.
>>
>>28013601
That sucks man, take of yourself.

I go by train usually and it's pretty awful every time. Packed like sardines in those things.

>>28013701
I was an English teacher originally and the program does everything for you. You don't really need to know Japanese if you're going that way. I wouldn't have gone without help though, that's scary.
>>
File: 1461136965467.jpg (36 KB, 360x400) Image search: [Google]
1461136965467.jpg
36 KB, 360x400
>>28013770
I didn't give up being a weeb, I just gave up the idea of being a weeb in Japan.
>>
>>28012147
dam that nigress is fuckin THICK
>>
>>28013893
Did somebody say thicc thread?
>>
>>28013796
Thanks, m8.

Yeah, going in and out of Tokyo by train must be worse than anywhere else in the country. How long does it take? An hour or so?
>>
>>28012147
Did you catch the video of her describing all the work that she has to do? She teaches like 30 classes a week, has to clean, has to hand out flyers, and has to talk to people in the hallway along with all the prep. And here I thought I had it bad in Korea but this shit is insane. Eikawas will just destroy everyone.
>>28012901
Where do you work and what advice do you have to someone starting out? I have a teaching degree and would like to go for an international school but I don't have two years of experience like they want. Do you think JET would be a good option for someone or is it too isolating? I worry about getting locked into a contract that I'll wind up hating and being the token whitey since that's what I was in Korea.
>>
>>28013915
I work at a school via a private company that is similar to JET. Since you have some experience in TEFL in Korea, you ought to have some idea of what the job entails, though it can vary based on the school districts.

The most important thing is to keep an open mind. Many people apply for such jobs thinking they'll be in cities or more urbanized areas and are in shock when they're given apartments that are in the middle of rice fields. Many people do say that they are lonely, but those people often never reach out to the community to meet people and get to know them - get involved in events, try talking to people, etc.

Keep in mind that these contracts are typically one year long. If you enjoy it, the year can fly by. If you don't, it can crawl.
>>
File: 1429824171006.jpg (96 KB, 646x404) Image search: [Google]
1429824171006.jpg
96 KB, 646x404
>>28012964
>I don't know how you can stand that culture of lies and modesty
Is it bad this is the primary reason I want to live there?
I don't give two shits about the anime, games and other weeb shit you can obtain anywhere else. I don't care about living in big cities like Tokyo, I'd prefer somewhere more rural or suburban honestly.

I just really value the people and their emphasis on manners, harmony, and being considerate for others, as opposed to western civilizations that focus more on competitive nature and looking out for yourself. I'll learn their language, adopt their culture, and be an active, contributing member in their society if it means I can live in a country that shares the same values as I do. Sin't that what matters?

Am I just a delusional faggot for wanting this?
>>
>>28013552
Honestly he's not lying. I'm a weeb that went to Japan and he's pretty much right. Obviously you have to remember it's a cartoon and not real life but the culture is still there.
>>
>>28013915
I'm sure she knew what she was in for and she enjoys it
>>
>>28014098
Yes.

They will all secretly hate you but they'll compliment you. That's how it is there.
>>
>>28014098
>>Am I just a delusional faggot for wanting this?
I know that feel. It'd be nice to live in a place where people go out of their way to at least try and be polite. As opposed to here, where we seem to think that nothing's funnier than someone getting embarrassed.
>>
>>28014087
Do you go through a company like Interac to do the ALT position?

I wouldn't mind going out into the rice paddies and reaching out to the locals that way. I've gone through the concrete jungle that is Seoul city and I have to say I prefer having nice greenery and air that doesn't smell like a sewer. If there wasn't a nice path to walk along by my apartment I would've gone nuts.

I'm working on my Japanese now so I'm not totally lost once/if I get there and I can finally live my retro vidya dream of understanding retro vidya and buying them for cheap, cheap prices.

Are ALT positions as easy as I hear or do you get to plan lessons? Eikawas sound like they'd be horrible and exactly like hagwons that work you to the bone and treat you like a slave. Yeah, not doing that again.

In the area in my country there are tons of new immigrants so having more ESL experience would be a boon, especially if I wanted to go to the UK after I finish up Japan. The UK has plenty of those new immigrants too.
>>
>>28014123
I don't believe she enjoys that much work eventually people burn out from it.
>>
>>28012450
>College course
How much did you actually learn?
>>
>>28014127
>They will all secretly hate you
Oh look, this meme again.

>>28014172
That's right. Putting some effort into learning the language is always a good idea and much appreciated by the folks here, especially since English isn't exactly widely understood.

The details of the ALT position depends on the school district. Personally, I don't have to do any lesson planning. I might be asked to make a special lesson once or twice a year, but that's it. Sometimes I'm asked to make and lead games for the students. Usually I just go to as many classes as possible and help them with their speaking, provide some one-on-one help to the lower-level students, and make and check worksheets. I've heard of other ALTs who have to make entire lessons every time. It's a toss-up.

Yes, I've also heard that Eikaiwas are pretty unfavorable in both working hours and conditions. Working in public schools is generally much easier, and going through a private company rather than JET means that you get weekends and summer vacation off (with less pay), so you can afford the time to travel a bit.
>>
>>28014127
Not looking for anyone's approval, that's none of my business.

The point is that I'd like to live in a country that holds values similar to mine that are well implemented into their culture as a whole. Even if it means adopting their customs and doing what it takes to function and contribute there despite being a foreigner.

Is that too much to ask?
>>
>>28012147
If Japan was a nice place to live in, they wouldn't need anime. It's simply impossible for any country that has an environment conducive to mental health to produce the kind of media Japan produces.
>>
>>28014302
Enough to say I put in a valid effort.
>>
>>28014367
Interesting, thanks for the detailed reply.

I barely knew any Korean going over there and I didn't have enough time to really focus on the language. I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunity there and I also didn't like that I couldn't talk to government employees, workers, or doctors in their language about what was wrong with me...it was always through an interpreter. Those vowels will never be something I can pronounce it's too tough for me.

That's a pretty sweet deal you have there, it sounds really nice to me. Lesson plans never bother me since I've done so many of them it wouldn't be a lot of work since it would just be focusing on vocabulary and I've done too many games to count at my old hagwon I could just recycle them. Either way it sounds a million times more sane then working at an eikawa.

>going through a private company rather than JET means that you get weekends and summer vacation off (with less pay), so you can afford the time to travel a bit.
Wait you don't get weekends off through JET? If so that's a bad gig. I'm okay with making less money, if I was worried about that I would just get a teaching job in the middle of nowhere in my own country. The world is a nice place and I'd like to see more of it once I get out of robotdom.
>>
>>28014584
Even having a busy schedule and having to make every single lesson plan, many ALTs are happy with their positions. The real factor than can make or break your experience is your fellow Japanese teachers. I've lucked out so far and have had incredibly sweet teachers to work with, but I've heard some stories from ALTs who've been less lucky...

You typically get weekends off with JET, but they can (and do) ask ALTs to help out with various activities in the community on the weekends or during holidays. I've heard that you can refuse, but not easily, and it's not seen favorably.

This job has some downsides, but I feel like the pros vastly outweigh the cons. I absolutely love it.
>>
>>28014127
This is a lie and you know it.
>>
>>28014679
It's not, weeb.
>>
pfft wouldn't move there, I'd live there for a year or something if I didn't have to work.

but I think after 3 months I'd pretty sick of it. Hell last time I went I was tired of it after 3 weeks
>>
>>28014675
Nice to know that they're all happy with their positions even if they have to make all the lesson plans. To me that sounds really easy, like it would just be a few hours work.
> I've heard some stories from ALTs who've been less lucky...
Ohohoho this sounds like a good story time. I've had my fair share of horrible coworkers in Korea so it may be nice to swap 'em.

If it's just helping with activities that sounds kind of fun. If you don't want to do something you can show up and play the dumb foriegner and everyone will be okay with it.
>This job has some downsides, but I feel like the pros vastly outweigh the cons
What are the cons? What are the pros? I'm a curious cat.
> I absolutely love it.
Happy to hear it anon. Live the dream all the weebs on this board want.
>>
>>28014740
I can't remember too many specific stories, but they range from teachers patronizing ALTs in front of the students to teachers sleeping during class. Pretty sure these kinds of things are rare, though, and the company does offer support in these situations (it's company policy that if you have a problem with a school/teacher, tell the company and they'll contact the school - supposed to prevent any unnecessary friction).

The main cons of this position are the prorated salaries that you receive three months in the year (you're not working at all during that time so it's completely understandable, but it doesn't make looking at your paycheck any less painful), no bonuses, no raises, no real room for advancement in the same position (you might be able to get a job in the office after a few years, but you wouldn't be teaching then), no health benefits, no maternity leave... That's about it - mostly administrative business.

The pros are really what you experience daily - interacting with the students and young people in your community, seeing interest in English and foreign cultures sprout and blossom, seeing the students' growth, getting an insight into typical school life, experiencing new things, going out drinking with your coworkers, etc. I could go on for ages. It really is a rewarding job.
>>
>>28012147
Don't do it if you're not wealthy
>>
>>28014922
> teachers patronizing ALTs in front of the students to teachers sleeping during class.
That doesn't sound that bad desu especially if there's a way to lodge a complaint against them. They're like baby problems compared with the backstabbing manipulators that I had to deal with.

The cons don't sound too terrible and the pros would make it all worth it. The reason to get the job wouldn't be for the money but to have the experiences that have had you would never normally get.

Thanks again for the helpful replies, it really helps to give me more of a focus now. Keep on enjoying that great job man.
>>
>>28015287
I'll just add that it sounds like a good position to get for a year or so...like a short term job, but nothing to make a career out of. It would only look good on my resume so I would keep it.
>>
>>28015287
>>28015303
No problem, m8. I sure hope you get the opportunity to give it a go.
>>
if you move to japan enjoy japanese people befriending you only to use you as an english teacher
>>
>>28015485
>implying I want friends to begin with
>>
>>28012147
I thought about it
I have a neighbor that's a translator and I used to be really good friends with her son so I thought about asking her a favor to help me learn about the culture and language
>>
>>28012891

>projecting your own failures onto people

you're pathetic

absolutely. fucking. pathetic.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.