[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has any other anon given up on games? To me, they bring me nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
Has any other anon given up on games? To me, they bring me nothing but frustration. I see any challenge as just tedious work I have to do. All the passion is gone. I used to constantly keep up with gaming news and upcoming releases, and now I just don't care at all. I get much more enjoyment out of any other medium (movies/TV, books, music).
>>
They are very boring and childish.
>>
>>28011546
You're just becoming an old man, Senpai
>>
>>28011546
Yep. I used to play all the time, but now don't have any motivation to. It's mostly just getting older I suppose, but I have no interest in online gaming.
>>
>>28011546
For the time being, yeah. I think it's more that there's nothing new that I want to play, and I'm either bored of everything old or don't care enough to play it seriously anymore.

I'll probably have fun for a few months when the next real Battlefield game comes out, it's the only multiplayer franchise I really enjoy anymore, and I'll play the hell out of the next Elder Scrolls.
>>
I was born in 87, my parents bought my old brother a NES and that was the first time I started playing video games. Then came the SNES, then the N64, but N64 had barely any good games besides RARE titles so I got sick of N64 really quickly.

Then sometime in 1996 my parents bought us a PC + internet for school. That started my PC gaming addiction (starting with DOOM and Age of Empires). By 2004 I started WoW, and I played that for like 6 years straight non-stop.

Now for the last 6 years I'm basically over games, haven't played any. I am not sure if WoW killed it for me, or if i just stopped caring about games.
>>
>>28011546
My parents were anti-technology and no-fun retards so we didn't get a computer with internet until 2002 when I was 17, and I didn't get into playing video games that I bought for myself until 2008.

After thousands and thousands of hours in various games to the point where I lost all contact with my friends and got fired from my job and irrevesibly fucked up my sleep schedule and have been a NEET for two years now, I think I'm also losing interest.

I just feel guilty that I'm wasting so much time. It's not like I'm playing one of those meme games like Dota or I'm a streamer or youtuber so that I could turn it into a job.

Also the worst part is how I play more f2p mobile games than I do "real" games.

That being said, I still love the dopamine rush of a new experience that comes with new video games. t'll be a long time before I buy a current-gen console or get a computer that isn't a dying toaster.
>>
I want to but if I did I think I would kill myself out of boredom.

I deleted all my games back in february and my life immediately went to shit. I stopped functioning, stopped doing schoolwork, stopped cooking food, stopped exercising. I don't know if it's a positive correlation or a coincidence but I'm not going to risk it again. They are the only thing I have to do with my time.

I think they distract me from the misery that is my life and make it at least a little bit tolerable.

If I remove that distraction the depression hits me head on and just blows me the fuck out of the water.
>>
>>28011546
I used to play with other kids then I found out about videogames. It's been years since I played a game MD now all I want is to play with children.
I have come full circle
>>
>>28011546
i've pretty much given up on games. can't really be bothered with them any more. i play them here and there when i'm extremely bored. the last game i played was far cry 4 a few months ago.

i just really can't be bothered any more. it's honestly just a bunch of shit i already played as a kid with updated graphics.

it doesn't help that i absolutely hate RPG's like the witcher/fallout/skyrim. all the big major releases seem to be those types of games now, giant open worlds. i fucking hate them due to the aimlessness and the shitty gameplay mechanics.

i burned myself out years ago and they haven't been the same since.
>>
>>28011700
I'm an 85er, and I'm this guy.

>>28011736

Video games were always this mysterious BUT FORBIDDEN thing just on the outside of my life. I would get to play them for like a few minutes every month. When my mom brought me shopping at Sears or something and there was a SNES display, when we spent New Years at relatives' and they had an NES or even an Atari 2600 and then later my cousins would get an N664 for christmas one year, I would be "friends" with all sorts of weird loners because they lived near my house and I knew that they had video games that I could maybe play for a few minutes - or at the very least watch them play, and when I was in my teens and had an allowance and even a job I would sometimes go to the arcade while it was still there. I remember one year I even convinced my mom to rent me an N64 from blockbuster with Super Smash bros and Pokemon Snap for the weekend for my birthday. I played until my eyes bled.

A lot of people more or less my age did what you did, grow on WoW or LAN parties or something else. I missed out on all that, and instead tried to catch up on gaming in my mid-early 20s. On the other hand I sort of did have a life in my late teens and early 20s. I don't know if this was a curse or a blessing.
>>
I think the biggest thing that killed it for me is that when I was online gaming I realized the people online went from being older than me, or my age, to being much younger than me....that was sort of a wake up call...like..."wtf am I doing with my life at this age playing online games with people much younger than me"

I miss the days back in the late 90s or early 2000s when I was one of the younger people on the MMO or whatever. Now at my age (28) most people I've bumped into on MMOs have been like 15-20 years old. The age difference is just too much.
>>
>>28011979
christ, i remember being a 16 year old playing games with people that were 30-40 years old. that was fucking weird. you have to be kind of a weirdo to want to play a video game with a bunch of people half your age.
>>
>>28011955
same story more or less. My parents hated all things technology so I had to scrape together what I could from everywhere I could get it. They did eventually buy my a gamecube, but I got like 1 game a year since I had no money.

Cept I haven't lost interest yet. I'm 25. I've been playing video games pretty much every day since 2005.
>>
>>28011979
well it's the same thing with this website.
Fuck I'm still in college at 25.
I still enjoy raves.
I can't get a decent job.
Never had a GF.
Everything I do is done by people much younger than me.
>>
File: QT frog.jpg (3 KB, 125x122) Image search: [Google]
QT frog.jpg
3 KB, 125x122
>>28012217
>tfw 26
>i got 21 lemons
>she said "you're not 21 are you? you can't have these unless you're 21"
>made my day desu
>>
>>28011546
For a while, but recently got PS4, just beat Witcher 3, jesus that was an amazing game.

It's not the game's fault. It's yours, you for whatever reason percieve them in some negative way, or feel bad about yourself to the point that the anxiety increases when you play games because you're not fixing your life.

I would get bad anxiety after playing Civ 5 all day. But playing an RPG for a couple hours is enjoyable.

No different than film or books, all great art forms.
>>
>>28011979
>>28012032
I'm 30 and for me the weird part isn't so much that there are 12 year olds, it's the fact that there are people my age and older who get totally mad and scream into their mics or send salty messages. I can understand being a rager if you're like 25 and younger, but after a while you need to re-evaluate your life if the pixels and polygons are making you emotionally upset.
>>
File: likethatmanrightthere.png (461 KB, 633x473) Image search: [Google]
likethatmanrightthere.png
461 KB, 633x473
>>28012322
I stopped getting carded when I turned 22.

Maybe it was the going bald part. I went to a rave when I was 23 and the fucking bouncer said as he carded me "you look old as fuck."
>>
File: frog mad sad.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
frog mad sad.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
>>28012333
>video game is a art
No they're not not, they're fucking games!
>>
Last game I bought was GTA5 like 2 years ago or whatever, I can't play video games for more than 5 minutes without shutting my system off. They bore the fuck out of me. I just waste my time after work shitposting here and listening to music/podcasts now. Not really much better but still.
>>
>>28012404
What's your point? A book is a written made up story to follow along. A film is a visual representation. A video game is bith of these things except you embody the main character and impact the world.
>>
I play retro games, some indie games and romhacks on my livestream with friends who are all around my age.

but I don't really feel the desire to game on my own anymore, nor have I ever been into MMO's or MOBA's or really any online game.

And I rarely keep up with console/gaming news because modern games are 99% shit
>>
>>28011546
As the years went by i watched more and more normies pick up "Casual gaming lulz". After cod 12 topped gaming charts and pewdiepie was the richest man on youtube i realized that the industry was no longer catering to me or what i find enjoyable. Normies ruin everything
>>
>>28012446
if we hold them even close to the same standards videos games may as well be written by 4th graders.
The writing is fucking abysmal in 99.9% of games. And in the .01 percent that it is not, it is still just barely passable.
>>
>>28012400
>I went to a rave when I was 23 and the fucking bouncer said as he carded me "you look old as fuck."

hahahahaha
>>
>>28011546

Yes. It took until my late 20's to happen. The main thing is that games didn't evolve as much as I expected them to. It's all the same kind of stuff over and over with a new title and nicer graphics every few years. Part of it might be the death of the medium budget games for me. You either have ultra generic triple A or small time indie. There used to be a lot more creativity in the space in between.
>>
>>28012517
Art doesn't have to be high art to be art.

People were saying the same thing about movies in the 1920s.

Video games are not only an art form in themselves, but also an amalgamation of other art forms.
>>
>haven't played games in nearly 10 years
>go over to cousins house
>he has some new super gaming rig
>he showcases the games
>it literally all looks like what I did 10 years ago, but with better graphics

yeah, no thanks.
>>
>>28012729
What were you expecting to happen in only 10 years?
>>
>>28013149
SNES to N64/PS1 was only a couple of years and that was a massive difference.
>>
>>28012729
Gaming is pretty dead in general until VR shit starts taking over imo. Everygame feels like it just copies all its core gameplay from various other games / ideas and mashes them all together. Almost everything feels like I've already played it before
>>
>>28013261
>a couple of years

a few couple of years.

SNES was 1990, N64 was 96.

There wasn't too much of a radical difference either, platform games were still platform games but they were in 3D, first person games were (mostly) in true 3D, etc.

No to mention that there was a ton of shit games in that era as well, for every Mario 64 or Ocarina of time you also had loads of Bubsy 3Ds and Superman 64 and Castlevania 64. Going from 2D to 3D was a lot of growing pains, like what's happening with virtual reality right now and the lack of games that aren't jumpscare garbage.
>>
>>28011546
I know that feel. I wonder if I'm just playing the wrong games.
All the games that interest me have gameplay that's either trash, or just doesn't click with me for whatever reason.

I think that when I was younger, and didn't have as much exposure to them, I could enjoy genres like JRPGs a lot based on their concept and novelty alone.
Now they're all too routine and I can more easily appreciate just how utterly terrible the gameplay in most of them is, and it's not fun anymore.
And I don't really have the imagination to enjoy the games I liked when I was much younger anymore, like platformers.

Other games like shooters can be reasonably fun but just can't hook me I guess, and I'll probably end up bored within the hour.
>>
>>28012517
Most art is bad. But just like anything else, some of it is brilliant. The writing of Witcher 3, the dialog, characters, story, etc is all awesome. And it's visually beautiful, and on top of that you male decisions with moral consequences and suffer the outcome. It forces you to examine the deeper questions of purpose like any great art.
>>
We are in a drought of creativity. The internet allows us to transfer a piece of information to almost anywhere at any time meaning that everyone has access to the same pool of ideas about a medium or subject now.

There's no longer niche video game companies making games they want to make while taking risks and being creative because it doesn't always necessarily sell. Video game companies are constantly exposed to criticisms from people who ordinarily wouldn't have cared about the issue for the first place were it not able to be placed immediately in front of them. (i.e. the people getting mad about Tracer's pose) I'd wager a good majority of the people who were upset are people who will never touch the game and therefore would have never cared about it because the people who do actually play those kinds of games don't care about a trivial cosmetic detail when the focus of the game is on teamwork and fps mechanics rather than the objectification of a bunch of pixels on a screen.

Because anyone anywhere can see almost anything at anytime, companies have to watch their steps now to offend as few people as possible or suffer decreased sales because someone is upset at video games.

Also it seems each successive generation becomes more and more averse to challenge in video games seeking instant gratification. This ideal forces companies to alter their games even further to cater to this demographic because they are going to be the largest for the most part.

All of these ideas constrict the scope of potential video games to almost a pinhole. Finding something new within that pinhole that is also creative, new, and speaks to a wide audience is almost an impossible feat to accomplish.

Too many things happened too fast.
>>
>>28014983
Also because game budgets have skyrocketed so they stick to using the same tried and true formulas instead of taking huge risks with new ones.
>>
Video games are work you pay to do
>>
I'm 23 and still love videogames. I look forward to playing them nearly every day.
>>
>>28011546
It's called growing up.

However for me another factor was that I will not get money for playing video games and my parents are getting old and death is upon them.

So I had to quit games to have time for a job
>>
>>28011546
I stopped playing when I found that live streaming your imagination with others is better than any video game, but that's called autistic now or something, so I have nothing but longing for the past
>>
>>28014983
I think it's also worth noting that casuals inflated the market because memes and its far easier to cater to normies than hard core fans, since they make up a minority. There's a lot of hard core gamers out there but we are a fringe part of our own culture at this point because theres no one out there willing to cater to our needs.
>>
>>28015297
>Video games are work you pay to do

It kinda is a work for """"""losers""""" with no job in real life. It feels the void of failure and allow those losers to have virtual life where they are not losers but level 90 Paladins.
>>
I havent bought a new game in a few years. I just replay old sega saturn games i grew up with now. Im getting a PS4 in september though for final fantasy 15, persona 5, and ratchet and clank. Anything beyond that is gravy. Fuck i miss being able to get hyped for games
>>
>>28015413
Dude I work my ass off 10 hours a day to buy vidya and I still manage to play them , what are you talking about?
>>
Sports games to me are unlimited fun. Might redownload Skyrim but the modding process takes forever as I usually max out on the ones I can run at a given time
>>
I was playing games for a a very long time. And I was part of the warcraft 3 pro scene back in the days. I made some good memories and friends but as you grow older you realize that games are just another way to kill time and it becomes receptive after 20+ years of gaming. Just try to use the time for something that's.... What ever live is shit anyway
>>
>>28015391
You're probably autistic. original comment.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.