[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do antidepressants work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 600x399
Do antidepressants work?
>>
No fuck them theyre shit garbage
>>
>>28010398
>>28010419
Their chemicals that your brain takes and makes you happy. Of course they work, but they don't work when you abuse them which you probably would.
>>
Yeah but not like you are happy all the time and sheit.

You just feel a little less unhappy and life is a little, just a little, easier.
>>
they are poison garbage made to turn you into a zombie devoid of all emotion
>>
They make you a little less un happy and can sort of get you through the day. But when you feel anger or sadness while in the habit of using them I feel like it's much more intense . Like I understand all mentally ill shooters at this point
>>
>>28010532
this

famalamalam
>>
they don't make you feel better they just numb you.
A change in mentality usually brought on by therapy is what makes you feel better.
>>
>>28010558
>Like I understand all mentally ill shooters at this point

same

deep.
>>
They make life more livable. They make me not care so much, which is probably good
>>
No. Studies show they don't work in as much as 2/3 of cases.
>>
I took an antidepressant when I was really depressed and socially anxious early in high school. Combined with CBT they helped me out a lot. I remember they basically greatly reduced the negative thoughts I'd have all the time and generally made me feel way better.

Don't know why some people who are already depressed wouldn't at least try them. They really can work. I was sort of morally opposed to them (and therapy as well) at first, but when shit got really bad I realised I had no other options.
>>
In my experience, they work really well for the first couple of weeks. You feel amazing because the suicidal thoughts are finally diminishing, this might be the end of it, things might finally be so much less miserable for you...

...and then the chemicals even out, and all the meds do is keep you at a livable baseline. It's better than nothing desu
>>
>>28010451
>they don't work when you abuse them which you probably would.

I've never met one single mental retard that would abuse such useless meds.
>>
>>28010707
They're basically a placebo with several side effects.
>>
>>28011195
Wow, that's good for you man and them man.
>>
>>28010398
I've been on a bunch of different ones and no none have worked.
neither have the antipsychotics
>>
SSRIs work really well, you start getting random brain zaps that basically train you into stopping to care about everything because no matter what you do, you're going to feel bad anyway, just like those lab animals that get randomly electrocuted.
>>
>>28011238
I'm under the influence of SSRI's right now.

I'm manic.
>>
>>28010398
they take the edge off depression, in my experience
like, if you're suicidal, you will no longer be suicidal
life won't be that bad
you can experience happiness in brief moments once again

they weren't the long-term solution for me, but for the few months i took them they helped me
>>
>>28010398

The right antidepressants can help. I take an SSRI. It helps with daily anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts.
>>
>>28011248
>antipsychotics
fuck taking those they slow down my thoughts and make it so I don't see as much cool shit
>>
>>28010398
Anyone on lamictal ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamotrigine

Should I give it a try ?
>>
>>28011811
why willingly make yourself into a guinea pig?
>>
>>28010398
Depends on what kind you take and what kind of depression you have
>>
File: friendly frog.jpg (32 KB, 441x441) Image search: [Google]
friendly frog.jpg
32 KB, 441x441
>>28010398
for me at least, they work to some extent. they do what they're supposed to I can't cry anymore and I don't have panic attacks but I'm bad at talking with my therapist so all the issues I had before are still there. I guess if you do what you're supposed to and use them in combination with therapy they could work pretty well but right now they just make me feel like shit
>>
>>28010398
They work in what they aim to do. Their aim isn't to make you happy.
>>
>>28010398
They work about as well as placebos (which surprise surprise actually work well for depression)
>>
File: 22.png (13 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
22.png
13 KB, 300x250
Only if it's depression caused by a chemical imbalance, and not caused by a crappy life. The fact medical professionals refuse to acknowledge this and will just try to put you on antidepressants no matter what has made me lose all respect for these people.
>>
>>28010532
what if im already a zombie devoid of all emotion
>>
File: 140198832.jpg (23 KB, 257x267) Image search: [Google]
140198832.jpg
23 KB, 257x267
>>28010398
NSSRI's & tricyclic antidepressants work excellently.. If you are pharmaceutical manufacturer out to make millions and billions of millions of trillions of bullshit paper iou's by creating a fake market for umbrella diagnosis of bullshit depression and distributing medicine that has no efficacy whatsoever, and actually makes the problem much worse by 'changing the core personality' as it says in the PDR....

( changing the core personality translates into : you are no longer yourself, and will never be yourself again )

Also, in the Physician's Desk Reference it clearly states in small print at the bottom of each of these medications:
" at the current time, the physiological effects of this compound are not known"

This clearly means they have no idea if, or why or how this medicine would work , nor do they care.... why should I? They're making a lot of money by selling it to faggots like you, who are obviously brilliant, yet are too stupid to open up the DSM-5.. Did I mention that you're a faggot yet? Good... Because you're definitely a faggot may I recommend you overdose on amitriptyline
>>
>>28010398
They don't if you drink
I know
>>
File: 1458760137342.jpg (81 KB, 960x877) Image search: [Google]
1458760137342.jpg
81 KB, 960x877
>>28010398
Only benzos
>>
No, they make me self-harm like crazy, think of suicide every waking hour and gave me psychosis, though they may work for others, they just make me worse, stupid psych and doctor gave me more, tho they gave me some Valium too but at a tiny 5mg per pill, so I'll try to get em to up the dose when I tell them that the effects are very mild and all the side-effects I'm experiencing with this Cymbalta crap.

CBT is slightly helping at least but I'm a massive danger to myself before the next session whenever that may be

/blog over
>>
File: 1457558616319.jpg (221 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1457558616319.jpg
221 KB, 1024x1024
>>28010398
Not anymore anon....
Not anymore....
>>
>>28011215
Give them a sugar pill if you want a placebo. Don't fuck up your brain chemicals like that though.
>>
>>28013189
then you dont need them, silly senpai
>>
i've tried 12 different ones and none of them did anything, either positive or negative, it was like taking sugar pills.

I ended up walking away after 12 even though they had many more they wanted to try, I'm convinced they're placebo now.
>>
For some people they are little better than placebos, for some others its the holy grail. Brain chemistry is incredibly variable from person to person, so it may or may not work for you, and it may or may not have an effect big enough to be useful. On top of this, different antidepressants have different mechanisms of actions on neurochemical dynamics, again having different effects in different people.

This explains why some people say they do nothing, others (like me) say that they only dull/prevent bad emotions, and other say that they balance moods swings and depression perfectly.
>>
File: 4eQ3-ih-QyU.jpg (106 KB, 486x650) Image search: [Google]
4eQ3-ih-QyU.jpg
106 KB, 486x650
It's arguable. IT really depends on the person and problem.

Antidepressants don't 'fix' you, just change you to the point life is manageable.

Once you start taking them you will lose some aspects of yourself, your thinking pattern, perhaps anxieties, it really depends on the antidepressant too.

A lot of people seem to experience just a lack of emotion, everything slows down into manageable bite-sized pieces and you start taking life on bit by bit, so the progress make you believe it's working, but then you find that there's not much enjoyment to what you're achieving anyway. In some aspects antidepressants can make you even more depressed, it's just not recognizable straight away because one tends to be used to one type of misery, so by comparison to almost anything else they believe they're doing better.

My personal experience with a few different types have been the above. Las ttime I got ne ones I stopped two weeks in due to how they changed me. It's been three months since I've stopped and I'm still stuck in the mental state as if I'm on them. My head is above the clouds and careless.
>>
Yeah specific ones work for specific people. Citalopram didn't work. Fluoxetine stopped working after 6 months. Currently on Paroxetine for the last year and its been fine.

Feel nothing much, but its better than being a miserable sack of emotions. Dick takes a bit of a beating to have an orgasm, and that's at most once a week.
>>
billion dollar placebo industry
>>
>>28013152
>only if it's depression caused by chemical imbalances
So you're saying they'll probably work if that's the case?
>>
>>28010509
>>28010694
>>28011275
>>28013053
>>28017211
Don't read the other posts. These guys get it. Antidepressents are no "le happinness med". They may make it easier for you to fight depression and get your life back on the tracks. In the end (>it doesn't even matter) if you are depressed because of your shitty life they won't do shit.
>>
>>28017364
SSRIs seem to be kinda shit in general, but I take this AD that is not available in English speaking countries and it works wonderfully. My life is objectively garbage, but I'm mostly okay with it now. It also doesn't blunt positive emotions, it just adds in a glass floor below which my state never drops and lifts my default feeling from "I want to die" to "It's fine". No more roller coaster across the entire spectrum of negative emotions.

What I'm saying is, that people should give them a chance. Worst case you're no worse off than before. Best case they can safe your life.
>>
Its a black box so who knows?

In my experience after taking ADs it was easier to concentrate and stop nonstop negative ruminating. Before taking them I couldn't focus on anything no matter how hard I tried, if I was watching a video the words would just go straight past my head. I couldn't think about anything that wasn't negative literally every minute of the day. The first thing I noticed was an increase in motivation and ability to focus.

The extreme feelings of sadness and despair became a lot more mild or weren't there at all and a lot of the psychosomatic symptoms went away too (abnormal aches and pains, cobweb of eye floaters, heart palpitations and other weird feelings.) Suicidal feelings stayed for a little longer but it was no longer a urge and more of a thought, and that went away too.

The initial side effects are annoying (in my case nausea and heightened anxiety) but they only lasted around 2 weeks. Most important is that you get good quality therapy and/or try and fix situational factors that may be causing your depression (such as lack of purpose or family situation) I don't think ADs would have helped me as much if I didn't have some hope for my future.
>>
They never worked for me, and I tried serveral (most of them were SSRIs). I got the side effects, for sure, but never any benefit.
>>
>>28013152
I think you're right. After trying all the "best" antidepressants without any result I started to think that I don't have "depression", I simply have a fucking awful life, that's all.
>>
>>28017561
What's the name of it? I have an ex from Denmark who's struggling but wants to move back home so if she can get them there...
>>
>>28018121
The active component is Tianeptine. It doesn't work for everyone, but it works really well for many people and has very few and weak side effects, compared to other ADs.
>>
I haven't read the rest of the shit here, but here's my story.
I had depressive issues for years and had seen multiple counselors, eventually my doctor, myself and my counselor at the time decided that trying ADs might be a good idea. I was put on 10mg Escitalopram every day (which I believe is half the average dose).
Within the first couple weeks I started to feel kind of 'pushed back' from my emotions, I still knew what I was feeling, but it seemed less to influence my actions. With my emotive state not getting in the way as much it became easier to enjoy myself and to be productive (it started very small of course).
You have to remember, ADs don't fix your problems, they help you 'shut them out' so you can start doing the things that will make you feel better. I often say they're used to "get off the couch and start doing something" but once you're doing something, they start to feel different.
For me, after about 6-7 months on them, I started to get frustrated with myself for being on them, I was beginning to feel like they might be holding me back. After some thinking and stupidly no discussion with my doctor, I decided to cut down to 5mg for about a month, after which I stopped completely. The 'withdrawals' I got were minor, my emotions had started coming back with more force, but after a lot of philosophy shifting whilst on the ADs (not necessarily because of them, but they helped for sure) I was able to differentiate between my thoughts and my awareness.
I've been off them for just over a month, I'm in a hospitality course, I've gotten back into skateboarding and I'm learning way more tricks, I'm a moderator for a game server, essentially I've got things I enjoy doing and I can kind of see some sort of future with now.
>tl;dr mindfulness, being active and ADs helped me a fair bit
It's important to remember that ADs wont do anything for you if you rely too heavily on them or don't work on shifting your mentality from that of a negative spiral whilst on them
>>
>>28010398
SSRIs just turn you into an emotionless zombie. You won't even enjoy anime if you take them.

Mirtazapine actually does make you slightly happier, but it makes you so tired that you don't get to enjoy it.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.