[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am thinking of becoming homeless by choice and pretty much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1460228012987.jpg (9 KB, 612x717) Image search: [Google]
1460228012987.jpg
9 KB, 612x717
I am thinking of becoming homeless by choice and pretty much living out of a backpack. I live in Toronto. I will beg for money and live off whatever people throw at me. I don't have a car so I will sleep under bridges or in alcoves in a sleeping bag, or just wrapped in a few blankets. I'm not thinking of living like that permanently I just have this desire to try it for a week or so and see what happens.

Has anybody ever tried to do this?
>>
Sort of. Ran away from home and lived as a hobo for awhile before getting picked up by a truck driver and traveling around with her.
>>
The burning question is: Why?
Why would you want to live on the street and beg for change? I know somebody who was homeless and they had a really bad time. You may not get enough to eat, ever escape that life, end up addicted to stuff, or even be chosen as a target for violence.
>>
>>28006918
gonna need a greentext
>>
>>28006935
I just want to see what it's like, that's it. My life is very dull.
>>
>>28007020
Why not just try it for a week without giving up your place?
>>
>>28007053
Yeah that's what I was thinking about doing.
>>
>>28007020
Have some insurance though. You can panhandle if you really want to, without giving up the safety of basic shelter. Go ahead and do it if you want, live that life, but you'd better have someplace to stay when the weather gets bad. And save enough money for food. Unless you really want every day to be a matter of survival. What is it you hope to glean from this experience, if you don't mind saying?
>>
>>28006938
>Ran away from shit family life at 15, was looking to get across country
>Didn't last long off my own money and took to living on the street, was helped by some exploitative homeless dudes
>She found me digging through the trash outside a waffle house and invited me to eat and that she'd pay
>Spilled my life story to her and she offered to take me where I wanted to go when she got a run for it, and I could travel with her in the meantime
>Ended up sticking with her for about two years till I was able to find my feet, got to learn a lot with her and see a lot too

I still keep in contact with her and am really grateful, don't mind that she sort of took advantage of me.
>>
>>28007091
I've been reading a lot about cynicism (in the philosophical sense), asceticism, and the New Testament lately and it seems like life with few belongings may be the path to happiness and enlightenment.

It seems naive but my life is so boring I don't know why I shouldn't just try it, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced it, voluntarily or not.
>>
There's a YouTube about a guy in Vancouver who did this. Left home with nothing but underwear on. In 24 hours, he had clothes, food, and a place to sleep because of all the homeless services in Canada
>>
>>28007117
>she sort of took advantage of me

Oh God I hope you mean sexually.
>>
Toronto is freezing though.
>>
File: freegan.jpg (132 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
freegan.jpg
132 KB, 500x375
>I am thinking of becoming homeless by choice

Do you mean freeganism?
>>
>>28007555
Toronto is the warmest city in Canada outside of BC.
>>
>>28006879
Terrible idea. I live in montreal and have seen people do this. They become dirty brainless zombies within a year. It is not a healthy lifestyle. Money is fucking essential to functioning in society.
>>
>>28007689
Were they addicted to drugs or something?
>>
>>28007602
You'll still freeze to death in the winter.
>>
>>28007738
It is currently spring and I don't think I'd do it long-term
>>
>>28007117
Explain. She either sounds like a lovely woman or a hamplanet who took sexual advantage of you.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.