[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Robots, will you open the box?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: hellraiser-puzzle-box-top.jpg (314 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
hellraiser-puzzle-box-top.jpg
314 KB, 460x460
Robots, will you open the box?
>>
I have seen the movie and know nothing good comes from being anywhere near that thing.

Hell no.
>>
no, imma ebay that shit and make bank
>>
A lot of people here are next level desensitized so probably. Not me though. I find suppression a necessary balance.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.png (365 KB, 600x326) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.png
365 KB, 600x326
>>27984532

Absolutely not.

I'll talk about the movies though! :D

If you watch the opening, middle and ending of the original film very carefully, I have a theory.

Pic related is the "coda" (very last bit) of the movie. The puzzle goes back to the merchant, a new customer, mirroring the opening scene. The cycle repeats. "What's your pleasure, sir?"

In the opening scene, it was Frank Cotton in the chair, the (other) principal antagonist of the film, among several frankly. This time, it's just... someone. Doesn't matter who, we think, that doesn't matter. The point is that the cycle repeats. Except, I think I know who the actor is (if not intentionally the character).

cont.
>>
File: 55392-8368.jpg (45 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
55392-8368.jpg
45 KB, 320x240
>>27985166

I believe that the figure at right in the above pic is the actor Raul Newney, playing an "extra", who plays the doctor in the original film, right in the middle (pic related).

When Kirsty was taken to the hospital, /she lost possession of the box for a time/, and the doctor (Newney) returns it to her from her lab coat. /In other words, this doctor was the only other 'civilian' character in the film to have the box in his possession for a time --- just enough time to get curious about it./ So my theory is that this doctor-character becomes the next customer, since he becomes obsessed with this thing that was briefly in his possession.

I have made a little effort to figure out exactly who the extra is at the end of the film, but I haven't found a yea-or-nay on my theory. The nose and hair sure look right though.

This idea of a doctor becoming obsessed with the box, assuming my theory, also foreshadows a basic theme of the sequel, done explicitly this time. I read the Hellbound Heart once, and I don't recall a corresponding doctor-character, but what's unique about the original film is that the director is the same person who penned the original work-Barker had creative control over both novella and original film adaptation. So maybe Barker just added that bit in to be cute.
>>
>>27984532

I wouldn't open it.

Because I'm already inside it.
>>
Have not seen it for a long time. Why people want to open it exactly? There's nothing good comes from it right?
>>
>>27985722

The basic theme of the franchise is that some humans (some educated, some not) who are able to satisfy every hedonistic desire eventually get bored with life. And so, some of them are looking for something more extreme, a new thrill. Then some of those go looking for this puzzle box they've heard of (they are enticed by the unknown and "unimaginable pleasures"), and then make the ultimate mistake of opening it.

Basically, the humans who open the box don't really understand what they're getting themselves into, but they pursue it anyway because they're bored-ennui turbo-normies and #YOLO.

These are basically the same reasons why RL people get into drugs, BDSM, occult shit etc. And as a fringe gay person, Clive Barker was acquainted with all of these, and built a very edgy work of fiction on the idea of them.

Some humans of the right temperament are even selected to become cenobites themselves.
>>
>>27985665
Deep senpai...sheesh wasn't ready for that post
>>
>>27985970
so what happens when they open te box
>>
File: Cenobite.jpg (20 KB, 364x273) Image search: [Google]
Cenobite.jpg
20 KB, 364x273
>>27986967
Shit will get real soon.
>>
>>27986967

More specifically, you are approached by the cenobites, and are immolated (torn apart, driven insane Lovecraft style) almost immediately. From a human's POV, you go to hell, or to a place that might as well be hell, from that same perspective.

One of two things happens. You become a simple victim of the cenobites, or once in a while, the /victim/ is /transformed/ into a cenobite (torturer). Either because they think you'd look cool in fetish gear, or because they can read your mind and know you're really a high-level edgelord aching to get out, or something. that part is always vague. Either way it ain't pretty.

There is a little confusion in the franchise over whether the place where you go is actually Hell as the Christians understand it, although Pinhead does refer to his domain as Hell (maybe he just knows the concept from his past life/interacting with humans). It might just be some parallel dimension X where their idea of a good time is co-topping a slave until they rip his body apart, and then presumably he re-spawns in a room somewhere whenever they want, and they torture him again.
>>
There is a pic floating around somewhere where Wojak is made up as pinhead, a pretty obvious visual comparison (white bald head/face, unhappy expression). I inquired with the common meme depository but they didn't have a specimen.
>>
>>27985166
>>27985399
That'cs actually very interesting, good post
>>
>>27987439
At least from the first film it appears the victim's don't die but just run that line between dead and alive thanks to the cenobites' infinite experience in the matter
>>
Well, uh... What's in the box?
>>
>>27987625

The part that I didn't mention is that one of pinhead's first lines is that they are "demons to some, angels to others". This could be a simple lie, but it suggests that they have other boxes in other galaxies and maybe they've tapped into a race of hyper-masochists who welcome their presence, or something.
>>
>>27987910
No I got that, I'm just saying it doesn't look like the victim's die, which would only add to your argument
>>
File: CQR_5AwUwAAaKeE.jpg (56 KB, 600x573) Image search: [Google]
CQR_5AwUwAAaKeE.jpg
56 KB, 600x573
>>27987489
I need rules to be clearly defined, logical and consistent.
>>
>>27987568

One positive (You) makes it all worthwhile, friend-o. :^) I was getting a bit concerned.
>>
So what exactly are cenobites?
>>
>>27988934
Demons to some, angels to others.
>>
File: 1450152418446.jpg (1 MB, 5849x3957) Image search: [Google]
1450152418446.jpg
1 MB, 5849x3957
Femcenobite is cute! CUTE!
>>
>>27988934

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or-40E0dl2M
>>
>>27990021

The "female cenobite", or "fembite" :^) is notable for two reasons. First, she was the only one of the original group-of-four to be portrayed by two different actresses, in the original two films. Second, apart from Pinhead, she was the only other one with lines, or a speaking role. She plays off of Pinhead's lines, and also ranks below him, which is made clear when Pinhead orders her to stand down in the second movie.
>>
>>27984532
No. I'm too much of a pussy and I hate pain.
>>
File: 493605.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
493605.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>27990021

Also, the original fembite has very faint wisps of long hair still attached to her skull, still visible in the original film (in the dark frames with movie lights illuminating the actors). I haven't noticed these in the sequel.

Something even more: she is the /very first cenobite/ to appear on-screen (in the first few minutes of the first film), followed moments later by Pinhead! Although these two don't have any lines, just now. They simply have to inhabit a perfect vision of hell, to let us know that shit got real, and will get real again in the latter half.
>>
>>27984532
>hell raiser cube

Hell to the naw arcs bruh
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.