[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>10 billion galaxies in the observable universe >1 billion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 17
File: 1402949899297.jpg (379 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1402949899297.jpg
379 KB, 800x600
>10 billion galaxies in the observable universe
>1 billion trillion stars in the observable universe
>earth has been around for 4.5 billion years
>humans been around for about 200,000 years
>we are literally nothing in the universe

Life has 0 meaning, you live and die. So whats the point of living?

Who /existentialcrisis/ here?
I really wanna kill myself and end this meaningless existence but alas; I am too beta.
>>
I take comfort in that fact. It means I can abuse drugs and have degenerate sex and it doesn't matter.
>>
>>27980127
How are we meaningless? We are the universe experiencing itself. We're starting to make discoveries in the quantum realm, starting to understand what's the universe made of. How it works.
The universe, understanding itself. Isn't it exciting?
>>
>>27980127
>nihilism
Babies first independant thought

Want to know the solution? The ultimate red pill?

God
>>
>>27980235
>believing in an invisible man in the sky is somehow more mature
*tips*
>>
File: 1460827245544.png (120 KB, 387x357) Image search: [Google]
1460827245544.png
120 KB, 387x357
>>27980127
>>we are literally nothing in the universe

sick of this stupid mentality
"humans are just dumb violent primates hurr durr"

going from simple organic compounds to cells with nucleus to genetics dna/rna is nothing to dismiss so easily. gasses and other materials dont condense to heavier metals in all parts of the galaxy. we could be one of the first sentient civilizations in the milky way.
if nothing we do matters, then the only thing that matters is what we do.
>>
>>27980127
>I really wanna kill myself and end this meaningless existence

this is fantasy you're producing out of boredom and awe

> but alas; I am too beta.

this is reality and logical

learn the difference and draw the line you dumbass
>>
>there is nothing you can do in life that will have any impact at all in the bigger picture of the universe
what a weird feel you made me feel
>>
File: 1459995718817.jpg (24 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1459995718817.jpg
24 KB, 540x540
>>27980269
>denying an undeniable part of the human experience

Every human society on earth since the begining of time practised some sort of religion. Spirituality is objectively a difining characteristic of humans. Depriving tourself of it is unnatural.

Mind, body and spirit anon. None are mutually exclusive and all are required for a healthy human. You arent somehow smarter for denying your spiritual side
>>
File: ii4b8NT.gif (2 MB, 289x319) Image search: [Google]
ii4b8NT.gif
2 MB, 289x319
>>27980276
This senpai.

We're important for earth and for our history as a species.

What if there was a god or some shit? Why would we be important then? It would just lead to us affecting our own fate, hell or heaven and not really "affect" anything.

You can push this question very far.
>>
File: IMAG010 (8).jpg (341 KB, 1078x790) Image search: [Google]
IMAG010 (8).jpg
341 KB, 1078x790
Meaning is what you make of Life.
>>
>>27980127
but don't you find that thought liberating? it really helps with my social anxiety
>>
you probably think you're weak and helpless, and alone you are. but when people work together, they can accomplish great things. you've given up hope on people, but the truth is it's entirely possible to become immortal and bring back dead people with science and technology, people need to stop being afraid of "artificial" intelligence

>>27980165
this kind of thinking is how most people feel, they're trying to free themselves of false imprisonments like being told if you don't believe in jesus you'll go to hell. unfortunately, most people end up depressed in this situation too after a while, and needing more and more or end up committing suicide. everything you does matters. every little bit contributes to becoming immortal and bringing dead people back with science and technology
>>
>>27980269
God is simply what put the Big Bang in motion. God is not a man, God is not in the sky. Just because one group of people tells you God is something in particular doesn't mean they're right, but it doesn't mean God doesn't exist either.

God in the past = what caused the Big Bang
God in the present = causes you to feel angry, sad, depressed when you do bad things, or happy when you do something good
God in the future = "artificial" intelligence
>>
>>27980725
>>27980812
whatbloxing
>>
>>27980361
There's too many religions to know which one would be correct.
Maybe a lot of them are right, but they just call the god(s) by different names than each other.

I'm still not going to follow any religions, though. Maybe spirituality independent of religion if I can find it.
>>
>>27980725
>wanting to be immortal
sounds awful mi familia
I already hate the 22 years I've spent on this earth, an infinity is unbearable
>>
>>27981056
It's honestly pretty simple if you can look at the main religions with an unbiased mind

>the one that be heads people and blows up innocents and demand you strike fear in the hearts of nonbelievers

>the one you have to be born into because they're an inclusive group with rampant nepotism

>the ones deeply routed in a certain countries culture that you can't even participate in without being a hipster faggot who they don't accept anyways

>the one that tells you to be nice and good to everyone and accepts all denominations and historically has bred the most successful societies.

Choice is clear imo.

"Independent spirituality" is honestly more arrogant and foolish than I think you realize. You're assuming that in your head from scratch you can somehow top thousands of years of collected wisdom. Ever notice how old men are way more red pilled than millenial faggot teenagers? It's like that. You have to accept that maybe your ancestors were wiser than you are and that passed down wisdom that has withstood the test of time s more valuable than anything you could pull out of your ass from here
>>
>>27980361
>"Oh wow, primitive societies all used some form of god to explain what they didn't know. That means god must be real!"
>understanding the ad populum logical fallacy

Pick one, faggot

Also, god is the architect of both your misery and happiness. since you're an average human, your suffering is greater than your pleasure. So why do you praise him for that?
>>
>>27980127
Did you my stack ofndickmeat is 8.5 by 6.8 inches?
>>
>>27980127
I enjoy life, I get my dick sucked by gay men 0 fucks given, I fuck women weekly I do massive amounts of drugs, I might even suck a dick one day
>>
>>27980812
>'Gosh, we don't know what set a certain event in motion, and finding out the answer will be difficult.'
>therefore it must be god

Exquisite meme

You're basically saying that god is nothing more than a trigger for the big bang. This opposes the accepted idea that god is a sentient being who actively creates. You say he just flipped a switch
>>
>>27980469
Where the FUCK is he video of the full worm?! FUG
>>
>>27981463
>god is the architect of both your misery and happiness. since you're an average human, your suffering is greater than your pleasure. So why do you praise him for that?

Fucking REKT.

Good stuff, robot.
>>
>>27981463
>"Oh wow, primitive societies all used some form of god to explain what they didn't know. That means god must be real!"
Actually I said every society. Not primitive societies, every single society bar none in history since the start. I wasn't even necessarily saying God was real, only that spirituality is an objective trait of the human species and that denying that is to miss the full human experience

>your suffering is greater than your pleasure. So why do you praise him for that?
The real answer to this is that you're rewarded in heaven for earthly suffering, but since you're an atheist I'll give you an answer that doesn't hinge on religion being true because you've already rejected that.

Because I'm not an edgy faggot. Kind of like how I love my parents despite how many times they grounded me as a child because it helped shaped me into a good person and I owe them everything.
>>
>8 billion people on this planet
>not even one loves you
>>
>>27981697
Your mom loves you anon
>>
>>27981611
>I said every society. Not primitive societies
And every society has things taht cannot yet be explained, therefore my point stands.

>you're rewarded in heaven for earthly suffering
I do not believe in heaven, since there is no real basis for me to believe in it. Also, the rules for admission are pretty strict (if it would exist) according to the bible, so I'd be barred entry anyway

>Kind of like how I love my parents
Most parents do more good than harm.
Loving a abusive entity is a form of stockholm syndrome and is not a good thing.

God has not done many good things for me, while screwing me over quite hard.
I got ill at age 4, lost the 3d phalanx on 4 fingers, 2 fingers that are crooked, scarred all over, reduced motor functions.
If god is real, he caused the desease and the cure.
However, the suffering was greater than the boon.
Therefore, even if god was real, i'd refuse to worship that asshole.
>>
>finally learning that your life purpose is to accumulate and pay off debt
>finally learning that free will is one of the most incongruous propositions imaginable
>finally realising that the only thing you were born to do (wrecklessly spread DNA) you can't do because you're a beta male
>finally realising you have literally 0 impact on anything outside the little bubble called society, and will likely not have any impact inside that bubble either

Rough feels
>>
>>27982922
>what is satan
>what is original sin

I'm not here to convert you anon. Sorry your life has been so shitty. The bad in the world really does nothing to take away from God though. He's pretty clear in the bible that we are not meant for earth, we are heavenly beings, the earth is temporary, so I don't imagine he sees our suffering on it as very important in the grand scheme of things.
>>
File: 1458921638220.jpg (897 KB, 1625x1117) Image search: [Google]
1458921638220.jpg
897 KB, 1625x1117
>>27980127
The point of living is to live and experience.

You are the universe experiencing itself. That's the point.
>>
>>27983312
>You are the universe experiencing itself
Meme.
>>
>>27983333
Okay

Sick quads tho, check'd
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 619x477) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 619x477
>>27980127
Please have sex you whiny bitch.
>wahhh muh existentialism shit wahhh
>>
>>27983312
>You are the universe experiencing itself.
Pseudo intellectual trash tier philosophy desu
>>
>>27983226
i wish you are right anon, because we only live once, and if god doesn't take you to a heavenly realm, you would have wasted your life in a lie
>>
>>27980127
All these humans on earth and still no gf ;___;
>>
>>27980127
There are ten million million million million million million million particles, in the universe, that we can observe
You're mama took the ugly ones and put them into one nerd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7-fVtT16k
>>
the world is small, your mistakes will be forgotten but your achievements can have far reaching consequences and have a significant impact.

well not your achievements, you're a whiny, pretentious faggot on 4chan.
>>
>>27980127

Of all the planets in the universe, one of them has to be the most advanced. No reason why it shouldn't be Earth
>>
>>27983412
You say that as though it somehow detracts from my earthly life, but in fact it only enriches it

>don't sweat the small things
>divine comfort
>no existential crisis
>high contemplation on life
>unshakable morals
>discipline

My belief adds a permanent contentness to my life that literally can't be shaken. Nothing bothers me on any level deeper than minor annoyance and I have true peace. If I'm wrong, then my life will still have been more fulfilling and joyful than had I no faith
>>
>>27983226
>what is satan

Is this /r9k/ or fucking Salem?
>>
>>27983477
well we are quite a young planet, so that's one reason.
>>
>>27983551
But planets generally become less hospitable past a certain age so that could be seen as a point in favour of us being the most advanced
>>
>>27983502
would you pick happiness over knowledge?
>>
>>27980725
homeboy those are some wild assumptions, it's fine to say those goals can't yet be ruled as impossible, but that doesn't prove they're possible.
>>
>>27983581
>implying they're mutually exclusive
>implying Religion is somehow related to knowledge

Let me guess, muh atheism. muh science disproves religion. muh Christian's can't into knowledge
>>
>>27983642
they are mutually exclusive, in the moment you accept god as an answer you stop being objective,faith is like closing your eyes and say i see it
>>
File: 1459768585584.gif (820 KB, 3558x3364) Image search: [Google]
1459768585584.gif
820 KB, 3558x3364
>>27983737
There are quite a few people here who would say you're wrong.

>reminder most scientists in history were religious
>reminder the big bang theory was created by a priest.

Spirituality and knowledge are separate. The do not contradict each other. When you think that they do and you close the door on one and refuse to acknowledge it, it's you who's closing their eyes
>>
>>27980235

It's funny because, in the Matrix, the blue pill was the one that let you go back to a life of blissful ignorance, and the red pill showed you the cold hard truth, forcing you to live in an uncomfortable reality.

Who's taking the red pill really?

It's not you. Now fuck off back to /pol/.
>>
>>27983811
>implying the Matrix is real
>implying God being true wouldn't be the coldest hardest truth any of you have ever experienced

Keep on with your comfortable ignorant degeneracy though. Let that nihilism absolve you of all guilt.
>>
>>27983797
a good argument indeed, but considering the era, the only real way to study was by joining the church, without considering that if they had declared themselves atheist, they were risking their credibility, and even their lives, i want to believe, after all my only end is in a hole in a random cementery, sadly i can't believe my entire life in something that gives me a full answer with no proof
>>
>>27983312

You are the universe experiencing itself. That's definitely a valid way to look at it. But it's not the "point". The only "point" that exists is within your own mind and doesn't actually exist in the real world.

The universe is just a bunch of stuff that's happening. It just is. Just like you, just like me. When you're listening to someone ramble on, telling you a long, meandering story, you tell them "get to the point". That's the human way to look at things. But the universe isn't a story, it's above and beyond any attempt that you might make to turn it into a story. Ultimately, the story, and the point, are just something you layer over it, in your own little subjective view of the world, the simulation of reality that's happening inside your head right now.

You don't have to like this. Nobody does. If you can't find some kind of happiness, then kill yourself. If you can, then pursue it. There is no crisis. Everything is exactly how it should be.
>>
>>27983959
>Everything is

this. literally
>existence: the post

how strange it is to be anything at all :^)
>>
>>27983945
>that gives me a full answer with no proof
You are still thinking about it wrong though. They do not contradict each other. You're seeing Religion as "God did it" and science as "God didn't do it, something else did, when this is not how you should look at it. It's generally the unwashed masses who see science as some magic thing that creates, but all the real scientists will tell you it's just a way of observing the universe. Science only observes what's there. Nothing about observing how the universe operates or even was created if we ever got that far to figure it out, disproves God, it only reveals his work. You should think of it as science revealing "how" God created. Science is not some separate entity creator.

It's a very important distinction to make.
>>
>>27983877

Oh yeah, it'd be so terrible to live in a world where I get to live forever as long as I follow a set of strict rules. It'd be so difficult to live life when I have a fucking manual telling me exactly how I should be doing it. It'd be so hard to go to bed every night, telling myself everything is okay as I wrap myself in my cuddly little cosmic safety blanket.

The view reality as it is might be liberating, but you can no longer cuddle up with your teddy bear at night and suck your thumb and hope that your sky daddy is going to sort everything in your life out for you.
>>
File: zepe.jpg (68 KB, 600x536) Image search: [Google]
zepe.jpg
68 KB, 600x536
The point of the universe is to cum in a hairless, virgin boipuccy. The only two times you could do this was in Rome 2000 years ago and today. Don't waste your time anons
>>
>>27983959
>You don't have to like this. Nobody does. If you can't find some kind of happiness, then kill yourself. If you can, then pursue it. There is no crisis. Everything is exactly how it should be.

Killing yourself is too difficult. All of our instincts and most of our external influences are telling us not to do it.

If you can't find some kind of happiness, you're doomed to suffer until something kills you.
>>
File: 1448893779533.jpg (40 KB, 483x441) Image search: [Google]
1448893779533.jpg
40 KB, 483x441
>>27984149
>implying following rules is easy
>implying willpower and discipline are useless and that we should embrace hedonism and selfishness
>implying those rules don't equate to the most successful societies in history when followed
>implying doing what ever the fuck you want all the time and never feeling guilty is hard
>implying society doesn't fall apart when that starts, hence the age of decadence
>implying this isn't proof of the wisdom inside this "manual"
>>
>>27984081
there is nothing that can prove if god exist or not,but i know that we started to develop tecnology when we stop thinking in god, it might be true that god created all, is true that science just obserbs and applies, but at the end of the day you have to pick between the human answer, or the divine one, the one that can explain how the universe works, over the one that gives you an ''motionless motor'', i want to believe, but when i see the sky, i see nothing
>>
>>27984431
>i know that we started to develop tecnology when we stop thinking in god
>the one that gives you an ''motionless motor''

Please refer to this chart of over 100 scientists who have made revolutionary discoveries who were all devout>>27983797

Science and technology are not separate from Religion. Seriously look at that chart, you'll see a whole lot of important discoveries you recognize. Sir Isaac Newton was extremely devout, and it was his faith that inspired him, and his understanding of gravity is pretty essential to any kind of engineering ever.

Seriously, they are not competing, and they are not exclusive to each other. You cannot refute the chart I posted or all the fiercely devout scientists in history
>>
>>27984241

tips fedora

m'polster!
>>
>>27984498
but i already answered that,here>>27983945
they don't compete, but they are incompatible, you are still saying that this omnipotent being created all, which i simply can't believe, because if i do, then everything is just a machine are you telling me that i was born just to die,that my life is writed since i born until i die??? i can't remember where i heard this, but god plays to hide and seek, how can i believe in something that doesn't give a single sign of existance?
>>
>>27980127
You're lying. No one commits suicide for this kind of reasons. Even Galileo preferred to deny his discoveries in order to stay alive. You want to kill yourself maybe because you're depressed for simple things and you want a philosophical justification.
>>
>>27984693
>but they are incompatible
But they aren't. Science observes the universe. What about this is incompatible with the fact that there's a God who created the universe? how does observing and understanding something discount its creation?
>are you telling me that i was born just to die
What else are you born for? Is this different if you're an atheist?
Your time alive is your opportunity to prove yourself worthy and your reward for that is to attain the true form you were meant for in heaven.
>how can i believe in something that doesn't give a single sign of existance?
You could write books from now until the end of time about how many signs there are. I don't know if you were raised religious and turned atheist, and have an understanding of the bible, or if you've never been introduced to it and don't know much about it, so it's pretty hard to address this in a 4chan post. I can't go list all of the signs for you so just consider this hypothetical.

If there was an all powerful and all knowing God. Time would be meaningless to him. A thousand years on earth would be completely inconsequential. Now ask yourself, what would proof be to you? What would it take? Him revealing himself directly to you and shaking your hand and saying Hello I'm God? Would an all powerful being be bothered with this? Why would he feel the need to give proof to every single human that ever was or ever will be born. It would be so far below him. To me it seems more logical he would reveal himself once, and then leave it to humans to retain and pass on the knowledge (hence all the holy books coming from that one particular ancient time period). This is the test. He gave us proof once, and then it's up to humans to pass it on and retain it through faith. This is how we prove ourselves worthy. Ask yourself this too, if he did come down again to prove himself, would everyone believe, or would there still be people who deny it?
>>
>>27980127
>Life has 0 meaning, you live and die. So whats the point of living?
whats the point in dying?
we will all die eventually. why rush it?
>>
>>27984913
Because then Dad can't yell at you for not having a job and will stop telling you anime isn't real
>>
>>27984886
Im not the guy you are talking to in previous posts.

However I have always felt should god show himself there would be no need for faith, faith being one of the driving factors in my life.

Without my faith I would live a truly meaningless existance.
>>
>>27984931
Anime isn't real and getting a job is easy if you really try.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 1024x752) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 1024x752
>tfw i have never really given a shit whether life has any meaning or not and just live

Not sure if this means im retarded or im just so depressed that i dont have the energy to think about it. I am depressed most of the time but its not because of existential stuff.
>>
File: scr00010.jpg (161 KB, 1280x962) Image search: [Google]
scr00010.jpg
161 KB, 1280x962
>>27985426
>ywn be able to just travel through space
there is literally no reason to live at all
>>
Rape some bitches before you do.
>>
File: scr00017.jpg (147 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
scr00017.jpg
147 KB, 1920x1080
>tfw you realize we are actually nothing
>>
File: 1458172424136.gif (2 MB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
1458172424136.gif
2 MB, 165x115
>This thread
orignial faeiqerpoiung
>>
File: scr00018.jpg (388 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
scr00018.jpg
388 KB, 1920x1080
>>27985633
>le epic fedora meme :)))
>>
>>27985426
>Not sure if this means im retarded

no it actually means you're really smart

life has no point other than itself, there is no ultimate point in anything, it's all a game to be enjoyed
>>
File: scr00012.jpg (154 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
scr00012.jpg
154 KB, 1920x1080
>>27985951
this abdc
>>
Your numbers are inaccurate in the first two lines.
>>
>>27980127
>we are worthless because LOLSOBIG
Every retard says this
That's fucking stupid mate.
Use something that is more logical, such as how the very nature of existence dictates that purpose is ultimately impossible. Nothing in this universe seems to have any sort of finality, and therefore purpose, a goal that it should reach. It is simply an amalgamation of endless cycles, of which there is no escape. These cycles prove themselves purposeless as they achieve nothing aside from their own continuation.
Use something
>>
File: 1447384639353.png (643 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1447384639353.png
643 KB, 633x758
>>27985511

Truly the worst feel

Comment serial #139536978
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.