[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do old people always pay in annoying ways at the grocery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7
File: grocerystore1-600.jpg (150 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
grocerystore1-600.jpg
150 KB, 600x400
Why do old people always pay in annoying ways at the grocery store? They always seem to use a check (wtf) or count out exact change. Why is it so hard for them to pay normally?
>>
>>27968865
Because back in their day a dollar was worth a fortune.
Also they are old and you get really slow when you age.
>>
Old people should just be killed and recyled into dog food.
>>
>>27968927
for this i love 4chan
>>
>>27968927
watch that edge
>>
>>27968970
this comment was a little too reddity
>>
>>27968865
They're just not in a hurry, they've lived their lives already. Plus they don't care about inconveniencing others. It's easy to hate them but i feel kinda bad for them. Most are really lonely. I understand loneliness and wouldn't wish it upon anyone
>>
i just steal shit and leave.
>>
>>27968865
Because when you nothing but time it's nice to fuck with the stupid
>>
>>27968999
Watch out motherfucker, Donald Trump is going to send those lazy sacks of shit to concentration camps in Mexico.

Tbqh senpai boomers wrecked the US. If Hitler was around, he'd gas at least 1/3 of them.
>>
>>27968970
Fuck off you stupid newfag redditor
>>
Not as bad as getting stuck behind some ghetto fat black bitch. You just know she's going to dispute the charge, pull out a shit ton of coupons, hold up the line while she sends little Taquisha to go grab a few items she forgot.
>>
>>27968896
>Because back in their day a dollar was worth a fortune.
And therefor the same amount of money should be spent in the most annoying way?
OP didn't complain about them using coupons and double checking that all their items' sales were applied.
>>
Seriously why are checks even still a thing? They're literally just debit cards in paper form. The only sensible reason to ever use a check is if you have to mail a payment somewhere, which is also being quickly phased out by being able to do transactions online.
>>
>>27969209
>they're literally just debit cards in paper form
No they aren't you jackass
>>
>>27968865
>tasked at work with buying more coffee each time we run out as soon as i get in the office
>we go through coffee like its water here so pretty much have to go twice a week
>old people love to buy shit as soon as the supermarket opens
>supermarket has this old time chocolates near the registers
>for some reason there are two different boxes both with the exact same amount
>old people love them but get pissed off because they have no price tag
>once i saw this old fuck grab a box, look for price, find the other box and look for price some more then drop both boxes and start kicking the shelves in autistic old man rage
>>
>>27969090
Being old is when normies live the robot life except they've lost their social filter so they make their loneliness everybody's problems unlike robots who just internalise it.
>>
>>27969236

Yes, they are. You know those strings of numbers at the bottom of a check? That's your routing and account number for your checking account. When the check is processed it charges whatever the amount that's written on your check to that specific routing and account number.

That's exactly what a debit card does, except all of the information is contained on a magnetic strip and protected by a PIN and/or chip card.
>>
>>27969119
>boomers

Not turboobnoxiousfatcunt here, can someone explain this boomer thing?
>>
What I really don't get is why people ask for paper AND plastic for their bags. Is that really necessary? It always seems to take twice as long to bag their shit.

I always hear people say "plastic brags just break on me" but I don't believe it, that has never happened to me. I think people are just dumb.
>>
>>27969287
Not really, there's a different process for transfer of funds with a check
>>
>>27968970
It was just a generic edge response you reddit faggot
>>
>>27969437
You're a fucking faggot

>but technically

You just got btfo and now you are gonna pull some retard shit out your ass
>>
>>27969429
>I always hear people say "plastic brags just break on me" but I don't believe it

This is my life as a bagger. Every day I always ALWAYS put 2 liter bottles of soda in pairs in a plastic bag, because I know for a fact that it can hold it without breaking. And fucking old women always asked for them double bagged because it might rip. Fuck them, it won't fucking rip. It's never ripped for anyone unless there was already a tear or something.
>>
>>27968865
I wish the Bluebird's method of check payments were the norm. It would scare old people off them permanently.

In case somebody doesn't know, in order to write a check on Bluebird (no overdrafts, no fees), you have to use the internet to per-authorize the checks. It makes sure you have the money in your account, and then it sets it aside for that specific check, and gives you an authorization number to put on the check.

Basically means you can use a check without any risk of overdraft, BUT it's such a hassle that you would rather just use the debit card (which you can check the balance on by using the app, or by texting a number for the balance).

Fuck the old way of doing things, and all the fucking fees that come with it, and fuck the people who are too old fashioned to adapt to the times.
>>
DESU old people don't really care anymore as they have already lived their lives and they also are mentally slower which may be responsible for them counting change slowly. Anyways, don't h8 on old people, you will become one sooner or later.
>>
>>27969563
I remember working at lowes. Some young bitch wanted me to single bag paint cans, and insisted 4 gallons per bag.

Of course, it was too much weight and smashed open on the pavement.
>>
A lot of old people still seem to think you get charged by the bank for using a debit card.

A lot of poor old people also dont trust banks at all.
>>
>>27969532
>you just got btfo
Not really. You just don't actually understand how these things work
>>
>>27969604
Lol, my grandparents are old fashioned as shit and have never used a credit card. They also don't give a shit and complain about everyone in my neighborhood.
>>
>>27969344

if you not gonna explain, at least check em
>>
>working drive thru at Taco Bell
>we have to get customers out of the window in less than 70 seconds
>they order something easy and simple and we can easily get it out in less than 70
>they don't have their payment ready when they get to the window
>they want to pay in exact change
>20 second order turns into a 90 second order because people are retarded
>get bitched at by higher ups for not being fast enough

HAVE YOUR FUCKING PAYMENT READY BEFORE YOU GET TO THE WINDOW YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO PAY SO JUST HAVE IT READY
>>
>>27969563
woah, I just realized that there isn't a single person with your job description in my entire country.
Why is it so hard to pack you own fucking bag?
>>
>>27969715
Most stores the cashier does the bagging
>>
>>27969563
As someone that regularly buys 2 liter bottles in pairs.

Plastic bags do rip you fucking mongoloid. If you dont want to bag my shit properly, move the fuck out of the way ill do it myself you lazy cunt, your job is as replaceable as my fucking underwear. Literally kill yourself.
>>
>>27969841
I've never seen that. We're always expected to do it ourselves. You know, because it's an easy as fuck thing to figure out
>>
I hate when people say "oh wait a minute, I have some change"

Its faster for everyone involved if you just hand the cashier some bills and let them give you some more change.
>>
>>27969715

Why not just do everything ourselves then? Might as well ring ourselves up, stock the shelves, and clean the floors too!

The employee bags the customer's item because they're a guest that's giving away money for a product/service. The least we can do is put their items in a bag for them.
>>
>>27969855

M8 I've literally swung these bags over my head in a circle before with 4 liters of soda in them. The only way they'll ever rip is if they have a tear in them. They can hold so much more weight than just 4 liters of soda.
>>
>>27969563

I used to work at a grocery store as a cashier, and I often had to pack the customers bags because they didnt want to do it. And weirdly enough, I found it kind of difficult. I think its because for me personally, I just shove everything in a bag, except if its obviously not compatible like drippy meat and veggies.

But man, some people are so anal about how their groceries are bagged. They want to their veggies, fruits, cold stuff, all separate. Its like WTF? Just throw it in a bag, who gives a shit.

Also, I grew to hate reusable bags. I understand they are good for the environment but they are designed in such a horrific way, they always flop over and putting stuff in them sucks.

You'd be amazed at how particular some people are with how they want their shit bagged. I don't get it. You're going to take it all out anyway in a few minutes most likely.
>>
>>27969344

Checked

Boomers should be fucking gassed
>>
I just don't understand why they still use checks. Cards are superior in every way.
>>
>>27969884
I do ring myself up. I use the self check, because then it's bagged the way I wanted, and I don't have to wait for someone with a cart full of groceries to check out. My time is more valuable than waiting 20 minutes for someone to finish checking out, so that I can watch someone else drag items across the laser.

1 person runs 8 self checks, and I'm out of there in no time at all. On everything that isn't food, I use Amazon. Free 2 day shipping.
>>
>>27969884
Because while I'm packing my bag, the cashier is processing my payment, or moving on to another costumer making the line go faster.
You brought the groceries over to the register. I'm sure you can figure out getting them off of it too.
>>
>>27969872
I don't work in a grocery store, I'm not bagging my own shit,
>>
File: middlefinger01.jpg (17 KB, 364x268) Image search: [Google]
middlefinger01.jpg
17 KB, 364x268
>have a shitload of items so go in a normal lane like everyone else
>person behind me has like two items
>they dont bother going to the express lane or self checkout
>they bitch about the line taking too long

Fuck people like this. Either use self checkout or express you dumb fuck.
>>
>don't bag their gallon of milk
>they ask for a bag

>bag their gallon of milk
>they say they don't need a bag

>drink it myself
>they call the manager

There's no fucking winning.
>>
>>27969884

Of course bagging groceries is a part of their job. However it makes it easier for everyone, customers included, if the customers bag their own groceries. Nothing is more annoying than when a customer has a ton of items, and just stands there as they start to pile up. Not only that, but then they get mad at the cashier when they dont bag it a certain way.

I get if you're old or something and you don't want to bag. But if you're just standing there and not bagging you are making things slower for everyone else.
>>
>>27969995
Fucking Canadians
>>
>>27969995

My bagging policy is if you can hold everything comfortably with one hand, you don't need a bag.
>>
>>27969968
what sort of store do you work at where bagging is such a hard science?
>>
>>27969271
Surprisingly insightful, senpai.
>>
>>27969995
Not sure if this is serious

I was a cashier for like 6 months at walmart and just asked if they wanted it bagged

Are you unable to communicate with people or something?
>>
I was a cashier and what I never understood is that they make it impossible for cashiers to see the bottom of someone's cart.

People often have water, or soda on the very bottom. And you can't see it unless you stand up and lean over the register. Its fucking weird. Its just asking for people to hide shit under there. And if I asked "Is there anything under your cart?" people would get offended, as if I was accusing them of stealing.
>>
>>27969344
Like explain what it means? There was a "baby boom" in the U.S. following WWII. This generation isn't old enough to have started dying off en masse quite yet but just old enough to do things like cause OP to become rustled at the grocery store.
>>
Americans still use checks? Fuckin oldtimers.
>>
>>27970062
It's not hard, it's also not my job. Bag my shit wageslave.
>>
>>27969884
No, look.
The moment you finalize the transaction, they're your own problem. You need to get your shit and get the fuck out of the store, you're no longer a potential, paying customer.
You pay the store for bringing the goods to a location near you and providing an opportunity to purchase them, you do not pay them to put your shit into a bag.
Shelves and such are different, because they are part of the infrastructure of the store and the service it provides.
>>
>>27970339
>you do not pay them to put your shit into a bag.

There's a law here where you have to pay 10 cents for plastic bags so yes I am paying them
>>
>>27970374
You are purchasing the bags, you're not paying for a service.
>>
>>27970400
Considering those bags do not cost that much I am requiring the service as a paying customer.
>>
>>27970414
You can ask for the service all you want, but you are not entitled to it.
You pay to take one or multiple plastic bags and the right to call them your own.
>>
>>27970439
I am absolutely entitled to it by virtue of the fact if I just stand there they're not going to just leave my shit on the belt waiting for me to do it

Therefore it is included in their job duties
>>
>>27970332
The cashier has other costumers waiting. Now quit holding up line and fuck off

Also unlike you, I don't work at a store.
>>
>>27970473
No, they move it away, because it bothers them when they're trying to do their job. It's preference, not duty.

Things like this "Professional Bag Packing Associate" or whatever you folks call it are the reason people make fun of Americans.
Can't you see how insane this is?
>>
My autism was flaring up with everyone using the word "check" instead of "cheque" and then I realized Americans only have one word for both.
Silly lards.
>>
>>27970528
That's too bad for you, I've never once bagged my own groceries and I never will, I leave that for the peasant
>>
>>27970560
you, see this guy. how are you this much of lazy fag?
>>27970537
>>
>>27970594
Because I can be, couldn't care less what Europe thinks about anything
>>
>>27968865
>Why is it so hard for them to pay normally?

I do it specifically to piss people like you off.

Glad to see it is working.

>*dumps another handful of change onto the counter*
>>
>>27969924
Swinging is not the same as walking. I walk 3 blocks with my groceries and 2 two liters will eventually rip a single bag. It's not your position to judge, it's your position to do. you should double bag everything thats even questionable because there is no fucking reason not to.

I dont even know why your position exists. Go do something useful like stock/face shelves holy shit
>>
>>27970654
>I walk 3 blocks with my groceries and 2 two liters will eventually rip a single bag.

What kind of shitty ass bags are you getting then? When I get groceries a single bag can hold a pair of 2 liters indefinitely.
>>
>>27970654
>because there is no fucking reason not to

He's probably some environmentalist faggot
>>
File: own goal.webm (392 KB, 626x372) Image search: [Google]
own goal.webm
392 KB, 626x372
>>27970713
I use reusable tote bags a lot for grocceries. If I HAD to walk a big haul over to my house I might buy a moving dolly and some plastic boxes
>>
File: 1456639223747.jpg (126 KB, 444x460) Image search: [Google]
1456639223747.jpg
126 KB, 444x460
>it's an old person is telling the checkout operator about their grandkids episode
>>
>>27970623
So can I. But I choose not to because that's the correct choice
This is why you guys are falling behind in every fucking field
>mfw americans can't even pack their bags anymore. the west is over
>>
File: costanza.jpg (29 KB, 631x460) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
29 KB, 631x460
>>27969884
>Might as well ring ourselves up

Self-checkout lanes are already training you to do this, and the grocery stores near me that have them are getting more of them just as soon as they can. Eventually every store is going to be a bunch of roombas and shelving robots, your sorry consumer ass, and one security guard with an AK and not a shit to give.
>>
>>27970775
You keep saying can't like it's this impossible task

It's not that I can't it's that I won't. There's a dumb teenager or 32 year old robot behind the counter that I'd rather make do it.
>>
File: SEEDED.webm (2 MB, 554x298) Image search: [Google]
SEEDED.webm
2 MB, 554x298
>>27970772
>its a checkout worker trys to be zany and signs songs and asks people their life stories
>>
>>27970862
It's not impossible, it's just inefficient and makes the line move slower than it needs to. That's my issue.

See if everyone packs their own bag, the line moves quicker, and suddenly being third in line doesn't take ages and i can get the fuck out of the store again.

Do it for the same reason you don't pay with fucking checks anymore.
>>
>>27970869

Why did they do this? Was it to symbolize what they'd do later, or had done earlier?
>>
>>27970945
I don't care about the people behind me, I don't know you so I couldn't care less how much of a rush you're in
>>
>>27971029
didn't realize you lacked empathy.
sorry, psycho
>>
>>27968970
your post is why i hate the chan
>>
File: 1376517348948.gif (2 MB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
1376517348948.gif
2 MB, 500x390
>those rare and few customers who bag their own groceries
>>
>customer gives me a coupon
>they didnt get the right item
>they get mad and say how ridiculous it is
>keep arguing they should get the discount

I don't get it. If they didn't read it properly and didn't get the right item, why do they feel they deserve the discount? It happens so often, people don't read them at all.

And it's not even very clear what I'm supposed to do. Technically I'm not supposed to give them the coupon if it's not exactly the item. And yet if I take the time to call a supervisor over to check it, they often get a little frosty and tell me to just give them the discount. Either way I'm always at the center of everyone's blame.
>>
>>27969620

I think he's right. It literally just takes money from your checking just like debit. Only difference is that it takes longer for a check to clear.

But hey, maybe there's something I don't know. How about instead of just saying "no, you're wrong", actually explain why you think you're right.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.