[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oh hey, it's nighttime already? Guess it's time for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 214x236) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 214x236
Oh hey, it's nighttime already?
Guess it's time for my daily single player D&D...yay
>>
How does one single player D and D? I mean...genuinely, how?
>>
>>27962438
Balders Gate?
>>
>>27962482
Yeah, but I mean a pencil and paper campaign.
I mean, you COULD, but...would that be considered schizophrenia?
>>
>>27962438
I set up the game so that each action has to be rolled
For example, if I'm given the option of which path I take, to make up for the erratic decision making of a group, I assign each side it's own number
E.X. East = 1 West = 2 ect.
Then I roll the dice and see which way it takes me
Because of this I try to create everything off the bat, if I go west I quickly enemies and treasures numbers and roll the dice to see which is in that area
It works for battles too, I'll roll the dice for my attack, roll the dice for the enemy's attack, and so on
I'll even flip a coin to see if the enemy drops an item or not

Basically the whole game has to be flat-formed and everything has to revolve around the dice, but I guess this is all I've got
I really need to find some friends
>>
>>27962527
The only reason I ask is because I have always wanted to try it. I fear the outside world and no one plays d and d where I live...
Is it...fun? Is there more work involved?
>>
>>27962557
It's...okay
The fact that everything is made up randomly and out of my control makes the surprise a bit more fun, the battles are nice because it's completely out of my control what moves I or my enemies will use and how much damage they'll deal
It can also be ridicoulusly hard at times and it can get really lonely after a while

T b h there's a lot more work to it, I have a journal where I do all the stuff and I spent about 4 or 5 pages just discussing the basic outline on how to play
>>
>>27962527
>>27962626
Without a team how do you work weapons/abilities?
Also how do your battles work exactly, do you just roll a die and whatever number it lands on is the amount of damage you deal/receive?
>>
>>27962626
I guess I just don't want to put in the effort.
Then again. I don't really exist.
Enjoy d and d dude, I might try it out some time
>>
It's called Icewind Dale.
>>
>>27962678
Weapons work just like regular weapons, except they take up spots in the inventory section and can be switched around at will
They're obtained via chests, enemies, and hidden rooms
Each has their own varying affect on how much damage you'll deal and each enemy has their own vulnerabilities to certain weapons, and some are even invincible to certain weapons, this way it's encouraged that I switch my weapons around more often
Abilities were retconned to potions, they're obtained via item drops and do everything from replenish health (healer) to full on spells (mage) to make up for the lack of a team

The battles work precisely how you said except the number rolled will change with what weapon I'm using, and what armor I've equipped. As well each enemy has their own attack/defense system affecting how much damage they deal and how much damage they receive, to accomplish this the number rolled is usually multiplied by another number, added to another number, or subtracted by a different number
>>
>>27962804
Jesus, you put a lot of work into this, how do you even keep track of all this?
>>
>>27962839
Since there's no pre made map, the adventure is completely written, I do draw a health bar, inventory, and exp. bar in the upper right corner however.
In the journal where I track these adventures, I have a section labeled "guidelines" that lists the rules and such, helping me remember when I've forgotten.
In the back of the book I keep a "enemy log" in which I catalog each enemy and their specific attack/defense stats, helping me when I forget how an enemy is played.
Whenever I obtain an item, weapon, or armor, I write a small description for it, including what it is, what it does, and what effect it'll have on my attack/defense/health, helping me remember how an item is supposed to be used
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.