[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What caused the decline of the great American shopping mall, /r9k/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 800x598
What caused the decline of the great American shopping mall, /r9k/?
>>
>>27962046

The internet.

High rentals /leases.

Everything is made in china.
>>
>>27962046
wait, are malls not a thing anymore?

if so the answer is obviously internet
>>
>>27962099
They're still a thing, they're just not nearly as relevant as they used to be.
>>
This thread just reminded how great a game Dead Rising was.
>>
>tfw over half of your dreams involve either the mall or school
Shit
Is the mall really not a thing anymore?
It's one of very few places I would go to hang out with friends, but by far the most frequent most of my friends were girls

I wouldn't even buy anything, usually. It was just fun for whatever reason.
>>
>>27962046
everyone became poor in 2008 in case you didn't notice
>>
>>27962280
Mallrat culture died with nextgen consoles (n64 psx xbox)
>>
Online shopping and home gaming.
>>
>>27962046
The internet, you dip. I can get my shit from ali-baba at half the price, and never get out of my Doritos recliner.
>>
I live in Australia and the mall is alive and well here
>>
Look up. Videos of abandoned or closing malls on youtube. It's a little sad. I wonder how zombie movies will be once malls are all gone.
>>
>>27962046
Niggers.

Every mall, no matter how nice, will eventually be taken over and run into the ground by niggers.
>>
File: mallofgeorgia.jpg (212 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
mallofgeorgia.jpg
212 KB, 800x533
Why are malls so fucking comfy? I used to go to pic related every night last summer and just sit on a bench and listen to tunes while watching people walk by me.
>>
Around here it's mostly the innercity malls that are declining. There are efforts to bring them some new life with a Walmart being built into it which I'm sure would bring lots of business to the surrounding area. Can't wait.
>>
>>27963123
certain malls can have a nice vibe that doesn't exert materialism and desperation but more of a hangout spot for anyone
>>
>>27962046
i remember them being big around ten years ago, i loved going there for some reason but only did so rarely.
There where this upper middle class kids that practically lived there tho doing fuck knows what there after school for hours, they took tons of pictures and uploaded them online.
Funny story is that one of those upper class familys lost everything and decided to live in the mall, trying to spot them and take selfies with them when they werent looking was everyones favourite game. They became some sorth of unofficial mall mascot
>>
>>27963332
>Funny story is that one of those upper class familys lost everything and decided to live in the mall, trying to spot them and take selfies with them when they werent looking was everyones favourite game. They became some sorth of unofficial mall mascot
?
>>
>>27962515
>Australia
Who /southland/ here?
>>
>>27962230
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXCeRU_kYT4
>>
>>27963274
>walmarts in the mall
>amerifats
>>
>>27963589
It's all empty unused space and the mall is dead so why not?
>>
>>27962046
Nice /pol/ thread faggot
If you want to hear niggers than niggers you shall hear
>>
>>27963123
>outdoor malls
My fucking dick
>>
>>27963123
>georgia
Fuck you
>>
>>27963546
My nostalgia radar is off the charts mangolia.
The best boss was that "kill Vietcong with machete" faggot
>>
>>27963800
Cliff was the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjFI8zmJn9U
>>
>>27963412
its pretty cut and dry. Upper middle class family lost all their money and had nowhere to go so they lived there. They didnt stay at the same spot because they would attract too much attention.
Its unclear if they stayed there past closing hiding somewhere but we do know that they slept there, sitting at some corner at a starbucks or something, maybe they took turns.
>>
>>27962303
>tfw my dad got rich in 2008

real estate and organized crime for the win
>>
File: Mall.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Mall.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>27963123
fellow georgian here
>ywn be a kid again and run around in the fountain splashing water at other kids
>>
File: mallhobbos.jpg (80 KB, 798x451) Image search: [Google]
mallhobbos.jpg
80 KB, 798x451
>>27963412
hey i even found a pic
>>
>>27962046
Minorities and unruly teens
>>
Everything is overpriced. You might get lucky with clearance stuff at the department stores, but all the stores in between are ripoffs.

Malls are usually built in certain strategic spots. I can only tell you what I've observed in my city:
>A mall gets built
>It does well for several years
>Thugs and gangs start walking around at malls
>Begin to hear reports of women being mugged or robbed on their way back to their cars (duh, you see a giant logo of a fancy store plastered all over the bag)
>In my city, a popular parking lot robbery tactic (usually during Christmas): Splash them in the face with drain cleaner, then take the bags and run.
>Because of the high prices and high risk involved with going to the mall, foot traffic from actual customers declines
>The ghetto thugs and gangs continue to walk around, eventually displacing all the legitimate customers
>Shops begin to close one by one
>The big department stores usually close last
>Finally, the entire mall closes.
>The structure stays anywhere from 10 years to 20+ years. The land is worthless because of all the gang activity.

I've seen that exact chain of events happen at least 3 times in my life. Now that you can find literally everything you can get at a mall on Amazon instead but with a significantly lower price tag, there's no reason to set foot in a mall.
>>
1. Online Shopping
2. Walmart and other warehouse-style giant superstores where virtually everything you're likely to want is in one place.
>>
>>27963767
You dont like georgia senpai?
>>
>>27962046
The internet is more convenient and cheaper.
>>
>>27964117
holly shit anon where do you live?
not even the the lowest mall with the worst location here deals with that shit. They usually have deals with the police to shoot anyone that steps out of line.
Literally worst that happens there are children trying to shoplift
>>
>>27964422
Baltimore metro area
>>
>>27964470
Well that explains a lot
And now I'm muted.
At the worst point in the economy people would target small grocery stores, getting 100 fuckers to rob one blind was just easier. Tons of small business owners ended up killing themselves
>>
Superstores. The merging of groceries and general stores means it is more efficient to go to one store only.
>>
>>27962046
Lived in a Midwest medium sized, middle class subburb, almot entirely white
Everything was fine until HUD added some conditions onto some federal grants my city was getting
They were required to build about 3000 units of low income housing for people with government vouchers
City built them on vacant land between a large railroad switching yard, an interstate and the mall
These were all 3 story apartments, with one spot per apartment, city figured everyone would work at the mall or one of the industrial areas nearby, nope
Place was filled with welfare blacks and the robberies, assaults, shoplifting, rapes, car-jacking appeared along with them
People got afraid stopped going to the mall, stores started to close, now the only thing still at the mall is a $1 movie theater
City lost a major source of taxes and the new folks don't pay taxes, too poor, so the let cops and firemen go, closed some schools and stopped the upkeep on the main streets
My parents sold and we moved, I was still in school, but glad to leave the black kids were causing once nice classes to become screaming and dancing classes
My Dad said blacks are like roaches when they arrive everything goes to shit and you better move on
It had been a nice mall, always packed, now it is a ghost town
>>
>>27965508
i listen to this american life from time to time and i remember one show when they were discussig how to raise black kids grades and came to the ultra left conclussion that the only game changing factor for black kids getting better grades where white kids meaning that only black kids in white classrooms did better so o course the solution was to force white kids into black kids schools and vice versa
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.