[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are anti-depressants a meme? I swear the main reason im depressed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: happypills.jpg (36 KB, 538x218) Image search: [Google]
happypills.jpg
36 KB, 538x218
Are anti-depressants a meme? I swear the main reason im depressed is because im 25, still live at home, no gf and a bit ofa shut in not because my "brain isnt wired correctly". All theyve done is make me gain weight, i still feel shitty most days.

I've tried loads of different types too but dont feel they do much.
>>
Well if your brain is working right, why take meds? You're going to have to solve the problems outside of your body if the problems start there.
>>
File: I caused that feel.png (152 KB, 830x844) Image search: [Google]
I caused that feel.png
152 KB, 830x844
>>27948786
>Are anti-depressants a meme?
Not just a meme, but one of the greatest memes of modern history. Everyone wants a magic happy pill to fix their shitty life and Doctor Shekelstein is more than happy to prescribe you any number of them, for a price.
>>
File: 1459869301164.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1459869301164.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>>27948786

I'm fed up with life, wish I didn't feel like this. I drink to relieve my mood but then I feel depressed afterwards so I drink again a vicious circle. How much longer will I have to do this? I'm a failure, an alcoholic prick. Fuck man. It wasn't supposed to be like this.
>>
I know it's difficult to get motivation, but the best anti depressant is working out. Even if you just do it from home get an app called freelectics it's free and no equipment required. You could also try to go outside for an hour a day even if you don't do anything.
>>
>>27948786
just get minerals and vitamin supplements. minerals are good for you because they curb depression at least partly.
>>
>>27948786
there are about 8+ diffrent types of anti depressents (SSRI)
the thing is each one is made to be a blocker for a diffrent recepter of the Serotonin in your brain.

short story is we only know so much about the brain and everyones brain works a bitt diffrent and we all have diffrenct reactions to the diffrent versions of SSRI's on the market... if you do not see any change in 2-3 months of taking a type then i would recommend talking to your doctor about going on a diffrent set of them.

at the same time. it is not a cure all. it is meat to correct the chemical imballance so you can have the slight motivation and will to actually do things that make you a better person in life.

you can lay on the ground all you want and ask for people to help you up.. but even when hands are graced in your direction you still need to use your muccles to get your self up.

this is comming from a depressed person who is not out of the water yet but im working on it day by day.

currently on Celxa and welbutrin XL
>>
Have you tried tianeptine? it works great for me. SSRI's are total garbage and may result in a mood boost because the brain adapts to the unfavourable effects by producing allpregnenelone. I'd never take an AD prescribed by a professional anymore, the idea that seretonin is the happy hormone is a junk science meme. Tianeptine actually lowers brain seretonin and gives me energy and allows me to actually enjoy life. You have to take the your wellness into your own hands, the mainstream is just pure profiteering.
>>
>>27948786
I'm taking espcitalopram 20mg (maximal dose). It works pretty well, although it's not perfect. I'd say antideps aren't as much as a meme as 4chan prentends they are.
>>
To my mind op you can't put happiness in a pill. Don't know if you're feeling the same.
>>
>>27948786
Yes, it is. I have diagnosed depression and was in mental hospital and I know it's a meme disease. So anti depressants are a meme as well.
>>
I took sertraline and prozac and desu I didn't feel any better, you're depressed because your life is shit (years of loneliness, shitty family, etc) when you get your shit fixed you won't be depressed.

I've stopped to take meds and I feel the same as always, pretty bad.
>>
The chemical imbalance causation theory of depression has more or less been discredited in both the modern psychological and psychiatric literature, but antidepressants still show some effectiveness for certain situations, despite their proposed causal mechanism being rejected by a growing proportion of experts. They will almost certainly continue to be prescribed so long as there isn't a more effective pharmaceutical option.

My own thoughts are that their effect is mostly down to acting as a slightly more advanced placebo. They do induce some sort of felt effect, but it isn't actually an improvement in mood or reduction of negative affect. Instead its just a weird sensation, the experience of which reinforces the perception that the pills are working, thereby reinforcing the placebo effect such that a statistically greater improvement is noted than with a true placebo (which literally does nothing).

That being said, I did find some slight effect during acute stages of depression and I wouldn't argue against anyone who does feel they work for them and if you are feeling depressed you might as well try them alongside whatever other method you are using to cope/improve. But its not happiness in a pill or even energy in a pill.
>>
File: 1458646550711.jpg (64 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1458646550711.jpg
64 KB, 600x600
>SSRIs
Meme

>Benzos, opiates, stims
They'll get rid of your depression but your life will get rekt and your depression will be worse than ever.

TL;DR: Work on your problems instead of wanting a quick fix
>>
>>27948786
You need to try MAOIs, they're the real deal.
>>
File: 1460067148788.jpg (8 KB, 342x245) Image search: [Google]
1460067148788.jpg
8 KB, 342x245
Smoke a bud once a week, it helps trust me.
>>
>>27948786
Antidepressants are not designed to treat the root problem, even if your depression is biological, simply because the underlying cause of depression is still unknown, what they do is treat symptoms, which is better than nothing.
>>
>>27949445
Some people's depression does not have a root in social problems, though, and seems to be to a significant degree biological. Indeed, going back to the Ancient Greeks, Hippocrates defined "melancholia" as severe, long-term, sadness without apparent cause.
>>
File: MAOI.png (6 KB, 431x250) Image search: [Google]
MAOI.png
6 KB, 431x250
>>27948829
But I get free prescriptions on the NHS. And the drug I take is barely used anymore.
>>
>>27949532
If they started lifting and eating well, they'd feel better guaranteed.
>>
pop some vicodin and smoke a bowl. guarantee you'll feel better. even better if you can get some oxys instead.
>>
>>27949551
exercise curing depression is a meme. the lowest time of my life and when I attempted suicide was during a period when I was going to the gym 4 times a week and training to run a marathon.

not saying the exercise caused the depression, before some faggot accuses me of saying that. just saying it didn't do squat to help.
>>
>>27949551
There's no evidence to suggest this, though. There is some evidence that exercise and improved diet can be of help in mild depression, but when you get to something like catatonic depression, where the person will stop eating, drinking, moving, and responding, it's not even an option, indeed such people will die of neglect if not hospitalised. I have a cousin who succumbed to catatonic depression, and he nearly died of dehydration, if you spoke to him he wouldn't respond, if you poked him he wouldn't respond, who wouldn't move a muscle. He needed ECT to get out of it.
>>
>still live at home, no gf and a bit ofa shut in

How about working on these things instead of taking expensive placebos?
>>
>>27949088
That's interesting. I didn't think I'd run into someone who tried tianeptine on here.

OP, research shows antidepressants are a crapshoot. If you want to try them, DO NOT start out with SSRIs. They have the worst side effect profile.

If you want to--
Kill your libido (maybe permanently)
Gain a shitload of weight
Feel lethargic and shitty
Get horrible brain zaps when you quit
Try SSRIs.

Otherwise, try non-SSRI antidepressants like Bupropion (Wellbutrin) or Mirtazapine, or stimulants (you might have comorbid ADHD that's causing the depression)
>>
>>27948786
Anyone else here on clozapine? I gained so much fucking weigh
>>
5htp

L tyrosine

L theanine
>>
>>27948786
I took Paxil for months, it made me feel great, like I was on MDMA
>>
>>27948905
exercise can help but it some circumstances it really isn't enough
>>
>>27949847
I have said it once, and I will say it again, MAOIs are the most effective AD medication.
>>
>>27949847
>mfw when the first two meds by doctor put me on were SSRI's
>>
Uh, OP, those two concepts are not contradictory. It's your environmental circumstances (no gf, NEET, etc.) which CAUSE the chemical changes in your brain. The purpose of the ADs is to make you temporarily better so you can change your environmental circumstances for the better, since obviously you're not going to be able to e.g. get a girlfriend sleeping in bed 20 hours/day surrounded by piss bottles while you haven't showered, shaved or brushed teeth for a month.
>>
>tfw binge drinking on anti-depressants gave me fatty liver, now can't lose weight.
>>
i heard lsd micro dosings can cure depression and anxiety

i think depression, anxiety can be just a consequence of events,in this case it is short term episode for some people

and on the other way i think it's an illness
i know people in my family who have depression, one of my uncle killed himself by drinking, my grandmother is depressed, my mother was all her life, and me at 21, all my life i felt some kind of melancholia, it's like living life throught a melancholia filter

when i think about my past, i still see myself at age 9 going throught a depression, and i think at myself fuck it's fucking anormal

i'm depressed and i can't do shit about it
>>
>>27948786
Anti-depressants are counter productive to an actually depressed person in my exprience. I was just waiting for 4 years, switching medication looking for the right one goy, not fixing the problem at its routes. Im off them working out and have a job now and im feeling much better.
>>
>>27951178
in my experience they can keep you stable and able to be somewhat productive, you just have to remember that they, ultimately, will not fix your problems. That means that the drugs themselves aren't neccesarilly counter-productive, it's the attitude which may surround that is.
>>
Does anyone have experience with St Johns wort?
>>
>>27949549
>free medicine
Someone's paying for it, Anon. Doctor Shekelstein doesn't care who. It doesn't matter which one it is, they're all profitable.
>>
>>27951240
That's a good point and ultimately what I was getting at but my psychiatrist did a very poor job in explaining that and made it seem like my depression just needed to get its oil checked.
>>
>>27950052
This

I've worked out since I was 16 and I am the most depressed person I know.
>>
I started antidepressants about 2 months ago, how will I know when to stop? I don't want to wake up 5 years from now and still be relying on pills. Once I've stopped, how do I know the depression won't come back anyway?

I wish I could go back to my old self, none of this shit ever used to bother me. I might have been a loser, but I was a happy loser.
>>
>>27948786
>not because my "brain isnt wired correctly"
this is correct
people grow into their environments and will act in ways that maximize rewards while minimizing hardships
depression is the result of having little opportunity for reward, and this is a result of personal bias/behaviors that are limiting one from achieving reward
>>
>>27951380
maybe in some cases but not all.
>>
>>27951380
there is a mixture of nature/nurture
>>
>>27948786
Let me tell you about my anti depressant story.

Be 17. Get into fight with parents, depressed a f, suicidal, virgin, no gf, hate parents, hate life, etc.

Parents send me to psych ward. Put on anti depressant. No contact with outside world for 3 months. Anti depressant working, I feel happy for the first time in years.

Go back to shitty hometown with parents, realize that still no gf, life is just as shit as before. anti depressant dont do shit, take all my pills try to kill myself. Go to hospital, eat charcoal, still alive.

Then I realize fuck this. Fuck anti depressants. I move out of my parents. Get a bit more happy. Then later move out of my shitty hometown. A bit more happy. Then later travel abroad. A bit more happy. Then later get gf.

That was the last time I was ever depressed. After that I was just happy. It's been 8 years or so.

So turns out depression isn't a disease, it's just fucking normal to want to kill yourself when you have a shit life. Change your life. Become happy.

Depression is a meme.
>>
Some people are just depressed because their brains are wired that way, yes. That's why I cringe when I see people here complain that richer/attractive are depressed. But at the same time, depression is also an emotion, and can be due to circumstances.

Also most anti-depressants just make you fill really tired, at least in my experiences
>>
>>27952699
>Some people are just depressed because their brains are wired that way, yes. That's why I cringe when I see people here complain that richer/attractive are depressed. But at the same time, depression is also an emotion, and can be due to circumstances.

This.
>>
>>27952143

This 100%

> Then I realize fuck this. Fuck anti depressants. I move out of my parents. Get a bit more happy. Then later move out of my shitty hometown. A bit more happy. Then later travel abroad. A bit more happy. Then later get gf.

This is how it worked for me also.
>>
Anti depressants are literal cancer.

Pretty much all pharmacetucals are bad for you and not needed your body is designed to self heal both physically and mentally if somethings not working you need to try changing shit up.

Diet, sleeping, work, what you spend your time thinking about.

Taking a drug to fix a problem 99% just masks the problem and over time makes it worse
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.