[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Robots, what do you personally think about suicide?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1460501525758s.jpg (3 KB, 125x120) Image search: [Google]
1460501525758s.jpg
3 KB, 125x120
Ok - little bit more detai, basically im asking what are you view on suicide? answer questions like this:

Do you think suicide is Ok?
Do you believe you will be punished in the after life if you commit suicide?
why or why not?
When do you feel suicide is or isn't appropriate ?
>>
I accept Emile Durkheim's theory that suicidality is most often a cry for help, and if that cry is not met with appropriate group support, then the death will ensue. As strange as it is for robots, I would say only be 'suicidal' if you have a strong support network to talk you out of it. Of course NOT having that is most likely the source of our depression. It's a large problem, the fact that there is no society, only collections of individuals.
>>
>>27946910
this theory is stupid. people suffer more than they experience pleasure, so they kill themselves rather than face more. often nothing can be helped.
>>
Suicide is only okay if you've already had a good run and made something of yourself but now you can't go on for one reason or another. Think Hitler.

The young and the sad should not self destruct. This seems to me as an obvious abandonment of duty. I'm sure it comes with post-death repercussions. From a tactical perspective, suicide may actually be far worse than accepting your life and trying as best you can to be comfy. If you get reincarnated in order to make up for the duties you abandon, then it was in vain and you have only inconvenienced yourself further.
>>
suicide in young people is pretty dumb because I think that their hormones being all unstable and shit are what lead them to do it. after they become regular functional adults who gives a shit. if they don't want to exist let them not exist.
>>
>>27946935
People need to feel useful in a group or tribe. The suicidal cry for help is essentially a plea to find a use for the person in the local society. Because our societies are now so complex and large, this type of local attention is not found. A vivid example of this playing out is with military veteran suicides once they no longer feel they have a role for themselves for a greater goal outside the service.
>>
>>27947021
We must revert back to agricultural peasantry, solely for the sake of our spiritual well-being.
>>
Suicide is something that all people should be allowed to do. The first basic human right that most societies have agreed on is the right to life. With that right, comes the right to reject that right.

I don't believe there's an afterlife, it just stops. It's like trying to see through your elbow.

Suicide is something that society wrongly demonizes because it's a mess that they have to clean up afterwards. It's a person's right. That being said, many times suicide is a result of someone's mind not being right or able to communicate with others, and in those cases, it would be better for all parties if the victim did not commit suicide.
>>
I think there is literally nothing wrong with committing suicide if you feel like it.

I don't believe in an afterlife.

It's appropriate if you don't want to keep living. Whatever made you feel that way doesn't matter.
>>
You're a waste of space living, but dead you're another mess to clean up. Suicide makes you a problem for other people, atleast living you can avoid directly being an inconvenience.
>>
>>27947763
Yea but using that logic, everyone dies so everyone eventully becomes that inconvenience? Personally if i were going to kill myself i would call 911 right before i did it and tell them that to just send a clean up crew
>>
>>27947197
This is the correct answer to the question
>>
>>27947817
I'd just go up to Canada or something and die in the middle of nowhere
>>
>>27947834
Yea but if i did that i wouldn't be cremated, i would rot and id rather not rot in the groud
>>
>>27946840
>Do you think suicide is Ok?
Yes, people should at least be allowed to die. Those anti-suicide nets they have at those Chinese slave factories, that sounds like true hell to me.

>Do you believe you will be punished in the after life if you commit suicide?
No. Even if there is an afterlife, I will have plenty of time to study their law and then defend my case. Or whatever.
Honestly I would be thrilled to discover any sort of afterlife, I'm an explorer at heart.

>When do you feel suicide is or isn't appropriate ?
You don't need a "reason" imho, just like for breaking up. I think people who want to commit suicide don't want to die, they just don't want to live anymore. Sounds like it's the same but there's a small difference. There's a fine line between "Make it stop" and "I don't want to go on". I would probably prevent other people from committing suicide if they told me about it, but this is out of selfishness because I don't want to be involved with them dying. It's a huge hassle with acting shocked in front of family and friends, attending the funeral and all that. As cold as it sounds, just do it quietly, by yourself. If you tell me about it I'm forced to act or others will blame me later.
>>
After wanting to kill myself every single day for about 15 years and some very close calls, I have felt like suicide was no big deal for most of my life. I very very nearly offed myself last year though and since then I've been getting a lot better mentally and emotionally.

I'm now really anti suicide and I've held that position for months now, I just feel like its wrong and people shouldn't do it in most circumstances. Now if you're terminally ill or 50k in debt and unemployed its a different story, those people legitimately have real issues that will probably never be fixed. You're a fucking pussy if you kill yourself over no gf or because you're a neet loser or something though.

Of course, there are always exceptions to this, I'm aware of that. Killing yourself over a girl is retarded, but if the love of your life who you've spent years with gets gangraped and tortured to death, found in a ditch later, that emotional damage to you will probably never heal. That's an example of an exception, I guess.
>>
>>27947957
>As cold as it sounds, just do it quietly, by yourself. If you tell me about it I'm forced to act or others will blame me later.

I should add: this is not because I'm a cold-hearted psychopath or something but because I believe that if you want to end it you should do it, I wish you success in that matter. I want to be your ally. But if you tell me about it I have to do something because people will blame me otherwise, this is what I meant.
>>
I think suicide is fine. I think people who say suicide is selfish are the true selfish ones. This person is suffering and literally hates being alive and your concern is with the feelings of those he associates with who you're likely connecting to yourself. It's that person's life he should be allowed to end it if he wants.

I am unsure if there is an after life but if there was it wouldn't be something I want to be apart of if a person suffers every day on earth to the point where he has to end his life and then he is brought an eternity of suffering for trying to end his previous suffering. Seems cruel and I doubt a truly benevolent God would allow it and I wouldn't want to associate with one who did.

Life is a crap shoot and different people are going to get different experiences. If you get unlucky and your life is endless suffering I think it's a perfectly appropriate response.

I personally am comforted by the idea of suicide. I think of it like my ace in the sleeve. If I ever fuck up too bad I can just eat the barrel of a shotgun and get the fuck out.
>>
>>27946840
>Do you think suicide is Ok?
Ethically? Sure, but I believe it to be irrational in most cases.
>Do you believe you will be punished in the after life if you commit suicide?
No.
>why or why not?
There is no afterlife.
>When do you feel suicide is or isn't appropriate ?
While cliche I believe strongly that "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem". If you're seriously considering suicide you are completely free. Most people are so complacent and afraid of the future they never truly live, if you're seriously considering suicide you have an amazing opportunity most people will never get. Chase happiness at whatever cost and with no inhibitions. Quit your McJob, skip town, leave the country, fuck hookers, do drugs, rob a bank, start a riot. If you die in the line of fire so be it, at least you tried. Only a cuck would silently off himself because "muh depression".
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.