[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I used to love MMOs. Everquest especially. Back then voice chat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: everquest.png (316 KB, 483x346) Image search: [Google]
everquest.png
316 KB, 483x346
I used to love MMOs. Everquest especially. Back then voice chat was non existent.

Why have mmo's gravitated towards "get to end game, play the end game, collect the gear from end game - stagnate until next xpac"?

In the old MMOs most of the fun was discovering new stuff, being lost, helping and being helped, and being scared because the world was actually out to get you.

That being said, were there people who played the old MMOs from a min/max perspective?

Has anyone else become unable to play games for "fun" and only to win/amass fortune/power?
>>
I've been playing RuneScape for 10 years and I don't intend on stopping any time soon.

>Has anyone else become unable to play games for "fun" and only to win/amass fortune/power

But that *is* the fun.
>>
>>27937793

The gaming community evolved. Average players and casual don't feel like grinding 8+ hours a day, which is what MMO's gravitated towards. I try to play them from time to time, but they can't come close to competing with MOBAs and Esports.
>>
>>27937793

You playing on the new progression servers, home slice?

Instances raiding. Check out the phinigel server.
>>
Fuck Everquest is still freaking good. I play on p99 but I need luclin and AA's and I'm thinking about the phinny server.
>>
>>27937893

I played a bit on p99, did 1-56 or something over again but it wasn't quite the same.

I think part of it is widespread knowledge - it's really hard to play a game completely blind these days and so easy to find information now.

When everquest was young you'd hear about all sorts of weird things that you couldn't confirm/deny. Rumors were part of what made that game great.
>>
>>27937957

Damn you got to 56? Still a hard grind. I got a 60 warrior in thurgadin gear I don't play anymore because all that's left is raiding/camping mobs.
>>
I never played an MMO other than Runescape.

When I was growing up my parents would never pay a subscription fee so I could play "some stupid video game" where I will run into pedophiles.

Now that I'm an adult I feel like I missed out.

Is it too late? I know that WoW is shit now and Blizzard started shutting down the fan servers.
>>
>>27938011

Nope, there are plenty of mmos to play. I don't really want to play mmos now, it's too much of a time sink.

But yeah vanilla WoW was epic. Grinding in Alterac Valley for faction for my pig hammer , sometimes AV battles would take weeks, 40 vs 40.
>>
>>27938011
>>27938051

That was on my warrior. I also had a hunter with Rhok Delar and AV was basically a hunters fun zone. Aim shot and multi shot crits all day.

I would often 2 shot level 60 clothies, and 1 shot lower ones on my hunter.
>>
File: ahhhhh.gif (788 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
ahhhhh.gif
788 KB, 500x281
>be 10 year old girl in 2001
>play everquest
>wander around not knowing how to play, mostly just farm easy mobs
>30-something-year-old man talks to you daily
>asks you personal questions
>think nothing of it and just talk to him daily
>found it odd that he liked you so much
It took years to realize he was a pedophile.
>>
>>27937793
Been playing wow since BC and I loved it till WOD I got to end game and I felt nothing. Ever other xpac I felt satisfied but once you get there and get all the gear it gets boring as fuck then it's just a long grind for some menial busllshit like the legendary ring quest. I've been playing GW2 for about a year and I can't get enough of it. The end game isn't even the end game. It just opens more things to do. Plus you get leveled down when you visit any area so there really isn't an end game. (sort of) there's about 700 quests all together and there is many ways to complete each different one. Then there's all the world bosses and constant events are going on and you get rewards such suit you best so you don't have to spend hours trying to get that one item from that one boss. Its fucking ace man you should try it. Plus there is no such thing as the holy trinity, only "support" characters.
>>
>>27938116
Must have creeped you out abit? I know everyone says they are only ttrying to be friendly but he might have just been doing that. You don't find many young girls playing mmos so he could have just been a nice guy doing nice thinga. Id understand of he was asking for pictures and shit
>>
>>27938116

Did he twink you with gears???

Like with Lamentations and centi longswords. In b4 you didn't play a melee and played a lame class like enchanter.
>>
>>27938116

How personal were the questions?

I was 12 or 13 when Everquest was new and I talked about everything with everybody. There were a lot more old people playing MMOs back then I think.

I talked to a lot of late 20s early30s people.

Also there were a LOT more /strange/ people.
The lack of crazies in today's games makes me kinda sad.
>>
>>27937884
>mobas and esports
More cancerous things have rarely ever existed than these two shitty things.
>>
>>27938184
At the time, I had no idea why he was so friendly because we had nothing in common. He would just follow me around and talk to me.

>>27938188
He offered to give me things but I would refuse because trading was too complicated for me.

>>27938205
He would ask about my location and things like that, and I would tell him I was sitting at my computer at my house because I didn't understand his questions.
>>
>>27938205

Yeah. The crazy people in ooc but would also guide you and buff you.

There's better mmos than Everquest but it was great to play for its time. You could make s night of grouping and xping with other people.
>>
>>27938188

Enchanters were secret OP though. I never realized it until I went back and played now and realized most people were really really bad at EQ.

In fact if there aren't any casters, with root + voice chat you can break most places just fine.

I always remember breaking without a monk/paci pull being a real pain in the ass back in the day.
>>
>>27938226

>I refused

Come on you don't have to lie, we are anonymous.

Obviously he twinked you with gears and was your e-bf :3
>>
>>27938240

Yeah enchanters are op. I was just kidding.

But that game is a dinosaur and a huge time sink.
>>
>>27938259
I didn't take that up until I got older, 10-year-old me was too stupid to take free gear.
>>
File: Generic shrugging man.jpg (59 KB, 495x346) Image search: [Google]
Generic shrugging man.jpg
59 KB, 495x346
I remember my friend, he say;
>come wildy
>bring bank
You know what happen.
>>
>>27938226

Ah yeah, definitely a creeper. I remember talking to some other girl my age and she wanted me to talk to her on the phone at some point.

Unfortunately I only had one phone line at my house (and was obviously playing on dial up) so I could never talk to her and play at the same time.

It was really weird talking to a stranger from the internet back then via voice. Somehow talking to random people to order a pizza was no big deal but talking to Delfy the druid was just weird.

I don't even think twice now about using voice chat with strangers.

>>27938231

Yeah so many people who didn't have a plan for the evening that were willing to help you out or give you safe passage through a zone you didn't know.

I haven't found a game with as much of a need for community and good will as Everquest required.
>>
>>27938276

Yeah, 5 minutes older after he explained how to trade and equip the item lawl.
>>
Better question is Why are there so many MMOs?
Everybody wants to copy WoW, they release a millions of games every year.It became a retarded capitalist market competition.Games are now like products, being released all the time, fighting for consumers.
This splits the community into multiple games. It just sucks, I wish it was 2004 again and we only had couple of good MMOs with huge player bases, instead of having 10 thousand MMOs with empty servers.
>>
>>27938303
EQ was way too mysterious to me, I thought that trading involved having to give him coins so I wouldn't do it. I was also concerned that I would be punished for trading without earning it or become evil. The whole game was very confusing for me.
>>
>>27938383

Do you remember the inspect messages that you could set for when people were looking at your gear?

There was a warrior that I grouped with constantly who had (what I thought) was a joke inspect message of some chat.

It took me about a month to realize they never played in 3rd person and the one time they did they accidentally right clicked themselves and started entering chat so it was filled with wwwwaassddd123 /g i am stuck help and the like.
>>
>>27938420
That game left me with a permanent fear of video game water. There was one time I wandered away from my low level farming spot and got near some lake. A monster popped out and one hit me.. this was so traumatic to me that I feel sick to my stomach when I see water in video games.

When I tell people about my autistic fear, they don't get it, but maybe you guys can understand. EQ water was fucking terrifying.
>>
>>27938383

>"Don't you want this fancy sword, lass? *Lamentation*. Or maybe this is more to your liking ? *Centi Longsword*. Or perhaps a nice armor and a fancy belt? *Fungus-Covered Scale Tunic* *Flowing Black Silk Sash*"

-rubs hands-
>>
>>27938478

Yeah it was. There are sharks, Faydedar (a rare water dragon), and goblin wizards that will fuk your shit up in Butcherblock.

Or the bloodgill goblins in Lake of Ill Omen.
>>
>>27938478

Definitely don't play dwarf fortress then.

Personally it gave me a fear of falling and dying. My penis always feels weird when I fall long distances in any game now, like I'm going to die and lose my corpse in a pit full of harm touching half man half scorpions and never get a rez.
>>
any of,you guys play guild wars 2? I just started a few days ago and its great. also its free to.play now.
>>
>>27938594

Nope. I play Toram online for my cell phone.

And I am cute as fuck, senpai. Cute!
>>
>>27938594
Yes >>27938123
What world ?
>>
>>27937793
Normies don't care about the whole experience of getting immersed in a world. They just want to jump through some hoops and get a shiny, like their real life but more rewarding. And they're a huge market.
>>
>>27938749

Are there any MMOs built for immersion and not for normies now? They'd need some weird model.

I tried getting into DND but most of the people I met who play that in real life are too socially stunted for my taste.
>>
Runescape got me addicted because of the PvP aspect of the game. You could create different builds that have their strengths and weaknesses, and there was a lot of money to be made if you were good and got a lot of kills. The thrill you get dropping someone while risking your own items was addicting. Between RS3 and OSRS I probably have 15 different accounts and 1000's of kills.
>>
>>27938813
Funny that you mention DND. Dungeon and Dragons Online is a good example of an immersive, not-for-normies MMO. Can't really think of any others off the top of my head, in fact. Just don't mistake it for Neverwinter, because that's become quite a cash shop cash-in, as I understand it.
>>
100v100 wars in runescape won't be ever be matched by any gaming experience for me
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.