[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cerebrotonic feels thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 21
File: 1460414318000.jpg (94 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1460414318000.jpg
94 KB, 900x900
Any Medbots here? Rising first year med student here. What should I expect? I plan on going for radiology for minimal patient contact. All other grad school bots feel free to reply as well.
>>
>>27929447
>that guy
>ambition
>>
File: smug shulk.png (531 KB, 1195x1151) Image search: [Google]
smug shulk.png
531 KB, 1195x1151
How about being independent and working for themselves like the feminists say?
>>
Ofcourse he is good looking
>>
OR, wild idea here, how about women get their own goals, ambitions, and education to pay their own bills.
>>
>>27929447
I work in Med school and I can drop some knowledge I've gleaned from watching them come in and out for a full eight years
>Enjoy the first two years as much you can and do socialize.
>Get to know the people in your Dean's office.
>Third and fourth year will crush your soul.
I've seen how happy and energetic you will be and I've seen it gradually dim as the work piles up
>Study like a MF fami, have fun but don't you ever stop studying you still won't have studied enough
>At my school they do free food for firsties. Eat all that you can and make sure that you grab more to go after because the people who work there will take that shift for themselves
About the best I got right now, anything more specific you wanna know?
>>
File: 1456169033610.jpg (52 KB, 622x604) Image search: [Google]
1456169033610.jpg
52 KB, 622x604
>>27929447
for fuck's sake
if this was just the text i'd imagine "that's true, eventually they'd want to settle down with someone with a decent income and it's likely not going to be that chad stud who's fucked a thousand over women"
but no, they still assume that they'll have to be handsome
>>
expect to burn out, shortly after your soul dies and you start losing sense of what it means to be happy

only ruthless autists survive med school
>>
>>27929447
>Don't go for regular Chad. Go for rich Chad
>>
File: pJAPSja.jpg (116 KB, 1334x709) Image search: [Google]
pJAPSja.jpg
116 KB, 1334x709
Yea. Whatever. Fuck that.
>>
>>27929447
>it's women's fault that men are attracted to anything female and the guy in the OP would probably be willing to date date considerably because he is a naive fucktard who believes in things like love

come on guys, men bring this shit upon themselves
>>
>>27929799
No, not really, m8.
>>
File: indian-doctor-22132672.jpg (25 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
indian-doctor-22132672.jpg
25 KB, 300x450
My Stethoscope is ready
>>
>>27929948
Coolio so which school ya going too? Just the timezone is fine if you don't want to say names.
>>
>>27929447
>Chad in a tie = ambitious guy

All women should be enserfed
>>
>>27929447
Fucking faggot is like 20 yrs old and already a doctor. Don't they say all doctors lose their young years to school and only start living by the age of 30?
>>
its all about the face
>>
>>27929694

In the words of Gavin McInnes:

"My father was a doctor, and the fact that he saw younger doctors really hurt him, he told me later in life, 'Whenever I saw a young man who was a doctor in my ward, I fucking hated him. He could destroy my life. He could fuck my wife, drink 'till the sun came up, and then do a 100 push ups to top it all off'".
>>
I've been accepted to medical school and I'm starting this summer. Having second thoughts though because I feel like maybe I should have gone into veterinary medicine. I don't know what to do.
>>
>>27929447
All of the people on Facebook that I see sharing photos like this one are single mothers.
>>
>>27929447
passing exams with my eyes closed
having great memory feels really really good, so i can do things other than the mindless memorization medicine is
>>
>>27930210
this

women who were raised by single mothers, or in a super dysfunctional household.

roasties love telling everyone else to have discipline and think long-term. how about you cunts tell the truth. i am a woman. i made a bad choice. it was no one else's fault.
>>
File: 1459594484495.jpg (97 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1459594484495.jpg
97 KB, 550x512
>>27929447
3rd year here. I'm basically an empty husk. I've always been depressed though, so it might be different for other people. burning out is a real thing.
cant quit because this is the only thing I'm interested in but all my freetime is gone.
and watch out for substance abuse. it's really prevelant here. never have I seen so many pill poppers and alkies before.
>>
Are doctors/medfags the biggest cucks? You aren't getting paid a penny until you're 30-35+, then you'll attract a used up stacy that will hide her past from you.
>>
>>27930189
I dropped out of dental school. I was strong academically, and well-suited to memorization. But I'm also genuinely scatterbrained. I was scared that I'd fuck somebody up terribly as a dentist. I couldn't morally allow myself to do it, even though my grades were fine. I knew, in my heart, that it wasn't a good fit.

In retrospect, maybe I threw in the towel too early. Learning takes time. Maybe I jumped ship too quickly since I was used to being good at stuff. So now, if I'm completely honest, I kind of regret it.

Can you explain your hesitation more?
>>
>>27930417
>thinking everyone else takes a profession for the prospect of sex later on

What a sad life you must live
>>
File: 1450103949920.gif (2 MB, 417x646) Image search: [Google]
1450103949920.gif
2 MB, 417x646
I'm a Neurologist. What should you expect? Pain, hard work, being looked down on like garbage, not sleeping, debt out the ass and the school trying everything legally possible to get you to drop out. Remember this, they don't want you there and if you show weakness you will fall behind.
>>
>>27930370
>never have I seen so many pill poppers and alkies before
Just to be clear here. Do you suspect that a high percentage of medical students in your school (already) have an alcohol or substance abuse disorder?
>>
Fuck I had med students that consider themselves "doctors" after just a few months.
>>
>>27930460

>I was scared that I'd fuck somebody up terribly as a dentist. I couldn't morally allow myself to do it, even though my grades were fine.

I actually feel like I would be a good doctor, but I also think that there's plenty of kids who could take my seat and be be just as good.

I have this romantic idea of working as a wildlife vet and if I'm being honest with myself I don't know how I would pick human medicine over that. I do like people, but when I think of the fact that the most prevalent diseases today are essentially lifestyle choices (diabetes, HTN, etc), I can't help but think that even if I'm getting paid a fraction of an MD's salary I'd be happier treating animals out in the wild that are truly fucked over. I've also read though that it's extremely competitive and if I had to fall back on being a regular private practive small animals vet (the typical kind that sees domestic animals) I'd be even less happy. Not because of the animals but because of the owners.
>>
>>27930604
Is it really that bad? Why the bad treatment?
>>
mystery are you lurking
>>
>>27930709
>Why the bad treatment?

He picked neurology, he hates himself.
>>
>>27930417
Well it is pretty clear that some doctors did the best they could and paid for a used up Stacy. That said, those guys seem to be the ones that would have died alone if they would have chosen another career.
>>
File: 1460116309342.gif (25 KB, 480x328) Image search: [Google]
1460116309342.gif
25 KB, 480x328
>>27930619
yes, exactly.
I'm one of them unfortunately. I'm friends with or talk with most of these guys and everybody is pretty fucked up who hasnt dropped out yet.
It's a shit, but convenient way of handling stress.
>>
>>27930709
Yeah, it is. It's like bootcamp. It is not friendly, they are not there to help you, your fellow students are not there to be your pals. It is pure competition, full of hostility, full of hate. Everyone will treat you like shit because until you graduate, you are shit. It's meant to weed out the pussies and harden up potential doctors but in reality, they just don't like you or anyone else. You're just a shitter in school who thinks he can be a doctor and they will try everything to prove you wrong.
>>
>>27930709
Yeah. Medical school is almost never looked back on with fond memories. It's not a fun time.
>>
>>27930744
Your field has nothing to do with medical school. Everyone learns the same thing.
>>
>>27929612
Shut up rapist
>>
>>27930645

It was pretty cringe worthy when everyone walked around in white coats around the school building when we were just starting out. Some even went to the nearby store. I guess they felt euphoric and superior.

I was too stupid and dropped out; I'm probably jealous now of those that didn't.
>>
Surgery resident here. On another 24 hr call today. Not slept more than 4 hours without waking up and not being able to fall back asleep this whole month. No days off so far but I'm off Friday and I'll still get my 4 off a month per GME rules.

Like not sleeping? Go into medicine man. It blows dicks
>>
Kinda glad I didn't went the medical route. I am too beta to deal with people anyways. Is med school just rote memorization? That is something I don't want to spend a part of my life doing, memorizing things without fully understanding it
>>
>>27931055

Where do you get the time to cook, clean, meet with friends and senpai, work-out etc?
>>
>>27931015
I haven't dropped out (yet) but yeah, that is pretty cringeworthy.
and the countless fucking selfies with stethoscopes and white coats in the first year.
self-absorbed cunts without any sense of modesty.
>>
>>27930604
Why did you choose Neurology, senpai?
>>
>>27930948
>Your field has nothing to do with medical school. Everyone learns the same thing.

Oh tell me; what's my field?
>>
>>27930757
Nah, I asked this because back in med school I often had this bad gut feeling that some students could not be trusted. It was like they tried to project an aura suggesting they could not do anything wrong, but at the same time they seemed so flaky, so you never knew where you had them. I suspected stimulants and/or benzo.
>>
>>27931106
I cook everything for dinner and the next day in the 45 min I have after I go home each day before I have to sleep. No friends except other residents. No time to work out, no gym at my programs hospitals. And no gf and 6 digits of debt. I'd chop off my arm for 2 days off in a row and a good nights sleep

Do not go to med school if you have a choice other specialities aren't that much nicer
>>
>>27931100

>I am too beta to deal with people anyways

Completely the opposite for me. I'm falling back to my nursing degree right now, after years of social neglect. I'm doing an internship and can barely talk to the people coming in. It's pretty embarrassing.
>>
>>27931100
the people who just memorize shit without understanding it are the first to forget it and will generally become shit doctors.
>>
>>27931100
>Is med school just rote memorization?

Not even close; memorization is about 30% of it. The rest is being able to integrate and apply that knowledge bank to deal with novel situations, thus demonstrating an understanding.
>>
I made it through USMC bootcamp, combat training and MOS school, but my memory is TERRIBLE.

Would I survive med school? Is there any hope at all for someone who can bust their ass to work harder than anyone else to make up for their shortcomings, or am I just completely fucked without a good memory?
>>
>>27931193
>Not even close; memorization is about 30% of it. The rest is being able to integrate and apply that knowledge bank to deal with novel situations, thus demonstrating an understanding.
>30%
delusion
don't lie to yourself lad
>>
>>27929447
I'd never want to do anything medical old people and sick people are grosd
>>
>>27931100
>Is med school just rote memorization?
Yes, that and not becoming too crazy because of it.
>>
>>27931204
>Would I survive med school? Is there any hope at all for someone who can bust their ass to work harder than anyone else to make up for their shortcomings, or am I just completely fucked without a good memory?

If you can do well on the MCAT, you have the baseline intelligence needed, your memorization is better than you give credit. The rest will have to be made up with hard work, which is the most reliable metric of success in med school.
>>
>>27931213
>delusion

Must have been living in a fever dream for the last 3 years, then.
>>
>>27931138
My answer is very underwhelming. I didn't want to be a GP and I wanted something more specialized that didn't involve babies/children or looking at diseased vaginas all day and surgery based residencies take far too long. Neurology just kind of fell into place, honestly. Plus the demand for Neurologist is obscenely high, my schedule is booked for months.
>>
EMT fag here

learning welding to escape this hell
>>
>>27930604
sup breh
Have you been on the /sci/ discord chat?
>>
Anyone here already through Med school?
How do people react when you tell them you're a doctore? Does it help with getting a gf?
>>
File: 1455767654188.png (4 KB, 231x234) Image search: [Google]
1455767654188.png
4 KB, 231x234
>>27931236
Thanks for the glimmer of hope.
>>
>>27931106
Plus I matched in a city far away from family so I never see them anymore. 3 more years, baby!

If you like your mornings to be getting up hours before the sun rises and stumbling dizzy and nauseous to throw on scrubs and try not to throw up breakfast go into surgical specialities
>>
>>27931229
That would surely drive me crazy
>>
File: 1456540797312.gif (1 MB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
1456540797312.gif
1 MB, 500x330
Im a navy corpsman and as much as I love working with the marines I can honestly say patient care is not my calling.
I'm going to biomed C school pretty soon so I wont have to deal with people as much.
>>
>>27931274
>on the /sci/ discord chat?
didn't know medfags were welcome on sci
not himm btw
>>
>>27931177

Never been in a hospital for more than a check-up. But if I ever have to stay for a long time, i'll be very friendly to you guys.
>>
>>27931280
halfway through med school. some girls already get visibly excited and show interest in me when I tell them I'm a medkek.
little do they know about my depression and pathological self-hatred
>>
I'm studying in Europe, finishing second year. Here the second and third years are by far the worst, fourth and fifth years are just dicking around. As of now, it's about 80% memorization and the remaining 20% can still be covered by memorizing shit if you're too stupid, which naturally lead to many women attending the university. It's not an unmanageable workload but it's far from easy. I definitely wouldn't say that the professors are trying to fuck you over, if anything they are somewhat lenient, some departments more, others less.
>>
>>27931320
>didn't know medfags were welcome on sci

I wouldn't think they would be, with their actual clinical science training and all.
>>
File: 1457054032641.gif (549 KB, 720x534) Image search: [Google]
1457054032641.gif
549 KB, 720x534
>>27931261
>looking at diseased vaginas all day
OBGYN is very respectable.
>>
I've been thinking about going into pediatric gynecology a lot recently.
>>
>>27931346
asked because they or some of them at least, unlike us, are studying actual science and math

but i see your point
>>
>>27931372
here's your (you)

sickofthisjokeblox
>>
>>27931335
Thx family member
One of our interns was so sleep deprived this winter he crashed his car driving to work in the morning and like a good intern he ran the next few blocks to the hospital to not be late

If that appeals to you pls go to med school

Worst mistake of my life no residents are happy
>>
>>27930528
>working ungodly amount of wagecuck hours, unable to live a proper life while other professions like engineers or lawyers earn just as much with less hours put in

kek

K E K
>>
what is the memiest field and why is it psychiatrists
they are doctors but aren't employed as such, at least most of the time
>>
>>27931387
Sick of it? I've only made it twice, and the other time was on a different board a month ago....
>>
I thought r9k was full of NEETS?

Why is there normalfag generals on here?
>>
>>27929447
i have been thinking about maybe going to med school but i really dont want to work with people. or at least as little as possible

is it even worth it then?
>>
>>27931261
How many hours do you work?
>>
I'm finishing up undergrad, and plan on applying to med school soon. It's a good robot profession. It's not like we'd be out partying and having fun, so we may as well learn something useful.
>>
>>27931406
>thinking people do it for the money
>thinking people do it for the pussy
it's an obsession at this point. most of medkeks decided they wanted to be doctors at 8-9 years old
>>
>>27931406
most lawyers dont make that much and put in ungodly hours
>>
>>27931489

>decided they wanted to be doctors at 8-9 years old

So that's why I failed miserably, since I stumbled into it without much thought.

>using the term medkek
I can tell you're a really obnoxious person.
>>
>post yfw doctors have higher rates of suicide relative to other professions
>>
>>27931204
probably not, boot camp has like a 5% wash out rate. and thats people who quit/get injured. shit is easy compared to med school.
>>
>>27931538
or maybe you just weren't smart or hardworking enough and want to justify your failure
>I can tell you're a really obnoxious person.
I am
>>
>>27931406
Except I don't like being an engineer or lawyer, and going into medicine for the money alone is a hilariously awful idea. And desu, I'd rather live that lifestyle than be an affected robot projecting faux smugness online to mask his crushing misery. Like I mentioned, your priorities on what matters in life show how incredibly sad a life you lead.
>>
>>27931454
No, it will not be worth it. Even if you actually are able to work with people you often feel emotionally drained.
>>
>tfw britbong and went to highschool with a load of future medical students who acted so smug and superior to everyone else
>they are all whining now about what's going on with the change in conditions for doctors in the UK (I don't really know much about the topic myself)

It's a good feel. Though incidentally I have become a plant pathologist myself, life is odd.
>>
>>27931461
50 hours, 9AM-7PM Monday-Friday. I often stay a little later though because I get backed up with patients.

Can't complain though.
>>
>>27931605
>plant pathologist
how and why did you choose this career? never heard of it before
>>
>>27931611
You ever on call?
>>
>>27931611
Do you consider yourself a robot?
>>
>>27931611
Oh that's not bad at all. I thought all doctors worked everyday.
>>
>>27931641
Diseases of agricultural crops is a big issue, especially as hardly any universities even teach it anymore.

I've always been interested in botany/plant science and this is what it has lead to. I also do a lot of entomology, which again is a dying subject that really could do with a ton of more people going into it.
>>
Does anyone here have any experience with forensic pathology? Is so, any advice for someone who wants to go into it and is still an undergrad?
>>
>>27931272
Fellow emt. Good luck senpai, I actually moved deeper into this hell called medicine and I'm starting nursing next semester
>>
Well, I am now thoroughly convinced that medicine is certainly not the path for me.
>>
>>27931721
It's full to the brim in at least here in the UK, wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>27931592
You might be right. I'll have to think about it some more but it really doesn't seem like something I would enjoy.

I just have always been so facinated with the human body and how it works but fuck people. I'm not gonna spend my life looking at 90 year assholes.
>>
>>27931868
Sorry to hear that.
I'm in the US and don't intend on moving anywhere.
>>
>>27931831
With any career consideration it's just a matter of "what kind of bullshit will I be dealing with and can I handle it/is the pay worth it"

The rewards are pretty important too. You can do really cool shit in the medical field.
>>
>>27931652
Not really, I'm not going to come in on Saturday but they're free to call me for advice whenever. I'm not required to come in for anything though.

>>27931669
I don't know, probably not. I'm a kissless virgin but I can talk to people professionally just fine.

>>27931677
I work at a clinic and it's open Monday to Saturday. You could work on weekends if you felt like it but I like having my Saturdays and I get paid well as it is so I am in no rush to spend my Saturdays at the office.
>>
>>27931395
>One of our interns was so sleep deprived this winter he crashed his car driving to work in the morning and like a good intern he ran the next few blocks to the hospital to not be late

u sure that isn't just the plot of the movie "whiplash", senpai?
>>
>>27931406
Engineers and Lawyers push papers and sit in a cubicle. I can't stay still and do that shit. I have to move. I have to talk, I have to be in a dynamic environment that requires me to think. The day actually goes by really fast when you're moving around.

I don't talk down on any profession though. Everyone has their reasons for doing whatever they do.
>>
>>27931882
laboratory medicine family. or pathology. or academics. or radiology. you get to study and do cool shit without having to interact with people too much. the possibilities are near endless.
that's what I'm planning to do.
>>
File: tumblr_no8128WTx01titub2o1_500.jpg (112 KB, 423x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_no8128WTx01titub2o1_500.jpg
112 KB, 423x750
lmao radiology, not a bad choice. My friends uncle is a general surgeon, he works with a radiologist. He keeps complaining that the radiologist works half as long and as hard, and gets paid twice as much than he does.
>>
>>27931591
>It's sad to want to have free time to do outdoor activities like hiking

>It's sad to want to have time to hang out with friends outside of work

>It's sad to want to enjoy the fruits of your labor

Poor medcuck. I hope you're living the dream when you check my dick for stds :^)
>>
>>27929447
Yeah 'swag' isn't going to pay the bills but it's still gonna be paying for the hotel room behind her husband's back
>>
>>27931933
Fuck that, being stuck with treating medical problems sound boring. Academics is at least interesting. Tbh, my only passion in life is computers and technology
>>
>>27932172
>going outdoors
>friends

Let's be honest here, you don't experience either, and you have much more free time than we do.

>It's sad to want to enjoy the fruits of your labor

Not at all, it's just sad that you think that it exclusively means an immediate income and sloppy seconds. It shows you have a limited worldview.

>when you check my dick for stds

You need to have sex to get STD's anon.
>>
>>27931970
Do you get breaks like a lunch break?
>>
If you're happy with going into medicine good for you. Not everyone can be doctors.
>>
>>27929447
I applied twice and didn't get in. 3.6 GPA and 28 MCAT. Guess it wasn't good enough. I try not to be sour grapes about it now but that's inevitable. Reading about the shit lives of doctors and the impossibility of a personal life makes me feel a little better though.
>>
>>27932653
Technically I have a 45 minute lunch break but I never take it. I always work through it, I have too many patients to take 45 minutes off. I would have to stay even later otherwise and it's just not worth it to me. When I say my schedule is packed, it is packed. There is never an open slot in my day.
>>
>>27932796
Getting an appointment with you must be impossible.
>>
>>27932759
If you got your MCAT up, you may have a chance. What did you decide to do instead, famalamalamalam?
>>
>>27932915
There is a very long wait time unfortunately. If someone made an appointment today, they would probably see me in early June optimistically. Assuming nobody cancels but people do not cancel very often.

At least in my area there's too few neurologists to go around so we're all pretty much backed up through out teeth. It's unfortunate but that's just how it is. Not to mention there are doctors that will be a lot more restrictive with what insurance they'll take. We mostly take any insurance at my clinic so I get probably get more patients than most. That's the sad state of it.
>>
>>27933053
So what is an average appointment for you? Like what is the most common problem?
>>
>>27932991
I just kinda lost interest in medicine after the myriad horror stories and shit quality of life. I didn't really study for the MCAT though. So idk.

I'm finishing up my second bachelor's now, studying chemical engineering. Not sure what sector I want to work in. I'm working in automotives right now. Definitely don't want to work in automotives.
>>
>med
>not STEM
stay nice and warm you disease remembering machine
>>
File: 871995.jpg (665 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
871995.jpg
665 KB, 2048x1536
Med student in Canada going into Pathology here. Absolutely most perfect, comfy specialty a robot could ask for. All about knowledge, thinking at your own pace, and no patient contact. Path is majorly cucked in the US though unfortunately.
>>
>>27933094
By far the most common problems people get sent to me for are migraines and sleep problems. I get a fair amount of people with dizziness issues. I see a lot of old people so there's a lot of seizures, strokes, memory problems, stuff like that.
>>
>>27930698
You can always work in the third world with their "real" diseases. But then you would probably complain that their diseases are essentially lifestyle choices of being poor and uneducated.
>>
>>27932018
>>27931406
Why does everything on r9k always come back to engineering?
>>
Was sort of medical but not med school

>tfw had planned to go to physical therapy school from high school
>go through college
>completely alone, miserable, suicidal
>graduate with GPA below what's needed to even get into school
>wouldnt have any motivation even if i had a high GPA because i know that no matter if i spend all those years and money in school anyway, i;ll be as miserable and pathetic coming out as i was before
>>
>>27933237
people too stupid for medicine chose engineering and feel inferior every time there is a med thread
pretty sad to be honest
>>
>>27933105
Engineering and CS are probably the best professions for robots. The social aspect of medicine can be tough for a robot, but it's like law or business where you need social skills to be successful. And there are some specialities, like radiology and pathology, and even surgery and anesthesiology, that don't require much patient interaction.
>>
>>27933053
Do you ever deal with annoying or angry patients?
>>
>>27933323
But it's not* like ...
>>
>>27933323
There are ways to get around much socializing in law though.

You won't ever make any big bucks but there are ways.
>>
>>27933323
>but it's like law or business where you need social skills to be successful
I dont think so. I know lot of aspie doctors who are really succesful
all about the knowledge
>>
>>27933311
i cant even imagine what it would be like to be an engineer.

like, basically 40 years of sitting behind a desk and computer pumping math problems and shit

is that even what engineers do? i dont even know. all i know is that when i was in school, i would call people from the engineering college for donations to the school and they all sounded like miserable people who hated what they did

like i remember even the guys who sounded like they did cool shit, like working for boeing or whatever, i would say "wow man that sounds cool waht do you do there" and theyd be like "it isnt cool i dont want to talk about it
>>
>>27931424
Psychiatry is a very young field.
>>
>>27931544
It totally has nothing to do with being able to prescribe unlimited drugs within a few clicks.
>>
>>27933324
All the time. People get mad at me just because of how long they have to wait to see me and get frustrated when we don't see them on the exact time of their appointment.

It's annoying because I'm working as fast as I can with no breaks and at the same time trying to give everyone a good amount of time to work with them and get their problems solved. I know people have to wait months to see me so it would be shitty to give them like 5 minutes and rush them out the door so I can get to everyone quickly. People don't seem to get that though and always think we're slacking.

It sucks but what can you do. I get a lot of sassy black ladies in my face because of it.
>>
>>27933176
>Path is majorly cucked in the US though unfortunately.
How so?
>>
>>27933374

Engineer life:

> 20% maths. and not hard maths...it's doing maths you've done a bunch of time before.

> 60% dealing with management/politics/procedural bullshit...reporting, presentations, managing expectations, talking to vendors/salespeople, drafting or supervising drafters.

> 10% self-improvement, new stuff. but not "interesting" because the field stopped being fun at around the 5000 hour mark.

> 10% autism-induced depression.

Engineering management:

> 100% management bullshit...caught between engineers' autistic apathy and MBA managers' relentless Alpha microaggressions.
>>
Medicine is intellectually inferior to more abstract creative fields like mathematics and physics and with twice the amount of busy work. I dont consider doctors to be on the same level as an engineer in ChemE or EE, let alone a stats majors that specializes in number theory.

Im already set for a comfy gig at a company where I develop algorithms and work with seniors in data analysis. Might even break off into cybersecurity. 70k to start and then that gradually goes up to 150+ k and since it's a small company I get dibs on stock. Whereas a medfag will be cucking his youth away in med school and residency and most dont even go with the only demanding professions like neurosurgery as an example.

A doctor might be respected but not compared to an engineer or a mathematician both in pay or in prestige. But I guess having to check lil dindus cough and baboon ass for diarrhea brings joy to some of you
>>
>>27933515
Very saturated job market due to excessive residency spots training tons of pathologists, many of whom are foreign grads. It is still possible to make a good 500k+ if you get a partner position at a private lab, but it isn't easy. In Canada, the job market is significantly better, and there is a minimum salary that a pathologist gets paid in each province. In Ontario this is around 360k. Considering that there is no overhead associated with this number, it isn't too bad even compared to other specialties which get paid on a fee-for-service basis.
>>
>>27929447
is that guy a cuckchad?
>>
>>27933053
Are you american? i'd like to know what neurology is like in america. what region?
>>
>>27933692
I don't think 500k+ is realistic for most doctors. Honestly, the majority sit around 200k/year from what I understand. That doesn't even take into account insurances and the amount of hours worked though.
>>
>>27929447
Guy on the left looks like a nurse lel
>>
>>27933299
Physical therapy is all about trying to make a morbidly obese patient stand up three times daily.
>>
>>27933681
>feeling the need to qualify yourself and your reported field on a thread that has nothing to do with you

If your projected life quality is as superior as you say it is, you wouldn't be here trying to broadcast that so insistently.
>>
>>27933681
150K is absolute bottom tier for medcucks. The average specialist makes twice that.
>>
>>27933311
>people too stupid for medicine chose engineering and feel inferior every time there is a med thread
T-this is me. I fucking hate myself because if it ;_;
>>
>>27933681
>70k to start and then that gradually goes up to 150+ k
Even the lowest tier of doctor makes like 130k starting.
>>
>>27933791
500K is doable for cardiologists and specialist surgeons. Most full time docs make around 200-400k per year.
>>
>>27933681
>OH LOOK AT ME IM AN ENGINEER IM SO FUCKING SMART HERE LOOK LET ME COME INTO A THREAD ABOUT MEDICINE JUST TO SHOW YOU HOW FUCKING MUCH SMARTER I AM THANK YOU

the permavirginity is dripping off your post

jesus fucking christ are these the types of aspies who you engineers are and have to work with?
>>
>>27933823
You wont see any decent money until you're some 5-10 years in and you'll br spending a decade at least paying off loans. I had the government cover my undergrad tuition and I already have almost all my grad school loans paid off.
>>
>>27933823
jesus christ when i read about the saleries for american doctors i weep for the swedish ones. average salery per year is like 90k.

if you want to make like 300k you have to work summers and every fucking day.
>>
>>27933681
>intellectually inferior
*tips fedora*
fag
>>
>>27930604
Do neurologists make a lot of money?
>>
>>27933806
Are you another engineer telling the medical field what their job is?
>>
>>27933876
Are medcucks this retarded? He didnt say he was an engineer by his job description
>>
>>27933791
General practice family doctors sit at around 200k. Specialties like radiology, cardiology, ophthalmology, dermatology, plastics, orthopedic surgery (in the US), etc can make multiple times that.
>>
>>27933878
>paying off loans
only in america. I get paid to study
>>
>>27933926
>I dont consider doctors to be on the same level as an engineer in ChemE or EE
>A doctor might be respected but not compared to an engineer

Christ you're a fucking retard, engineer boy
>>
>>27933889
YES but you can take days off for playing with your wife's children so your wife can relax with her "friend".
>>
>>27933904
Google says the national average for male neurologists is 220k.
>>
>>27933681
>But I guess having to check lil dindus cough and baboon ass for diarrhea brings joy to some of you

>helping people get better doesnt bring joy to me
>my joy comes from sitting in front of a computer churning out mathematical algorithms and analyzing data 8 hours a day for the next 40 years

yeah dude, your life is so great
>>
>>27933961
>not compared to an engineer or mathematician

Poor medcuck. Even your eyes are starting to go bad
>>
>>27934017
mmm keep saying cuck you raging permavirgin nerd
>>
why was it so easy to troll this thread?
>>
>>27934038
>cuck

At this point, it's a distress call yelped by stressed STEMlords when they face threats to their ego
>>
>>27932796
You sound like a really good person, wish more doctors cared about patients like you do.

How long are you a doctor, like actually working in a hospital, any new job offers or things like that?
>>
>there are fellow medbros who dont own littmanns

it's like you want your patients to die
>>
>>27934067
>troll acts like a retard
>gets called a retard
>'i trole u'

Most people left these shenanigans behind at /b/
>>
>>27931905
I heard that forensic everywhere is pretty packed thanks to people wanting to feel like their in CSI Miami is their true calling
>>
>>27934067
medfags on edge from lack of sleep? I don't know really
>>
>>27934100
>he trusts a shitty rubber tube with plastic pieces

It's literally a symbol of your position nowadays with all modern medical equipment.
>>
>>27934127
>for most of recorded history the field struggled to get good people in it
>born just late enough for the "hurrdurr bones dexter CSI" generation
>have been passionate about this field my entire life
just fucking kill me
>>
>>27934067
because it's the same thing with any r9k job thread. engineers (or at least engineering students) and programming aspies have nothing else in their lives, so they have to act superior to other people because they think their job makes them so smart and that the high pay they receive that they have no one to spend it on or with
>>
>>27934127
There's actually a shortage of forensic paths in Canada, you'd have no trouble finding a job, but they only make 200-250k.
>>
>>27934067
Medcucks feel the when inferiority compared to Engineergods.
>>
>>27934174
Similar situation in the US
>>
Be honest now, how many of you robots went to med for the money? Do you know any other people who did this? Do they regret their choices?
>>
>>27929825
The dude's definitely good looking but I can't get past the underbite in the 2nd pic
>>
>>27934141

I trust it to convey to me accurately the sounds so that I can interpret them
>>
>>27932759
hey man these things happen
i got rejected with a 3.7 gpa and a 35 mcat
there's always something else to do with your life
>>
>>27933176

Canadafag here also.

I was originally going for GP when I went to uni but in my 4th year I realized the shit I would have to put up with in med school and as a doc. I'm far too casual for something like that. Reading this thread has made me realize that further.

So now I'm settling for a career as a lab tech. I can't help but feel I'm selling myself short because of self-esteem issues, though...

Oh well. What part of Canada are you situated in? Ontario? Are you in a hospital?
>>
>>27934399
What do you do now?

Originality
>>
>>27934399
What are you doing now? What did you do as undergrad? What kind of questions are on the MCAT and what is the max score?
>>
>>27931261
The GP market is so saturated now, I'm surprised anyone would go down that route.
>>
>>27934493
>>27934499
i work for a pharma company in R&D

i studied chemE in undegrad
when I took it MCAT was out of 45 but a tight bell curve, 25 median and 35 was 95th percentile, three sections english, physical sciences (chem and physics) and bio sciences (bio and organic chemistry) oh and two essays
>>
>>27934449
Quoted guy here. Before getting into med school I did a masters doing molecular biology type stuff, and trust me, after staring down the barrel of a life doing basic science research, I am so incredibly grateful for being able to practice medicine. Pathology is all of the best parts of working in a lab (looking at tissue samples, figuring out what's going on), and none of the worst parts (constant uncertainty, minimal funding). Honestly, anything in medicine would be better than being a lab tech forever, don't give up. I am in Ontario.
>>
>>27933783
Yeah. I live in the eastern US and work in a big city.

>>27933904
Yes, the pay is very good especially for a single male like me. I live very below my means in an okay apartment so I have a very comfy life.

>>27934080
You give me too much credit, I'm just doing my job and trying to be efficient.

I've been a neurologist for a little over 5 years at this point. As for job offers, yeah. I've gotten some offers and chances to work in more intensive but much better paying positions. I'm kind of happy with my current job as it is, I work in a clinic that's owned by a hospital. My hours are very good considering and I'm compensated above average, plus leaving my job would be hurting a fair amount of people so I have no interest in leaving. I work in a lower income area and neurologists are a little more sparse so a lot of people rely on me.
>>
>>27929447
>med student
normie detected
>>
>>27929447
does this picture mean that instead of girls trying to find a good job, they just try to find a guy who has a good job? i wish i had it that easy
>>
File: 1434047479000.png (291 KB, 915x645) Image search: [Google]
1434047479000.png
291 KB, 915x645
didn't want to go to med school after realizing it sucks the life out of you

going for a masters in epidemiology and then maybe optometry if it turns out being an epidemiologist doesn't pay well
>>
File: Rex.jpg (7 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
Rex.jpg
7 KB, 200x250
To OP pic: "Doctors don't look like models, doctors look like Rex." - Dr. Cox
>>
>>27934932
Did you become a doctor for the money?
>>
>>27934932
What's a typical day like for you?
>>
>>27935019
>medical school
>normies

pick one, or admit your definition of normie is too broad to be useful
>>
>>27934590

>>27934493
>>27933105
>>27932759

These are all me.

Great minds think alike i guess ;^)

Thoughts on chemical engineering? I'm finishing up my bachelors in it right now. (First one is in biology)

Any advice at all would be helpful.
>>
>>27935222
lel

to even get into med school you have to be the absolute biggest of normies and tryhards, a robot by any definition cannot get into med school
>>
Is it possible to do undergrad in humanities and then take mcat and go toed school?
>>
>>27935268
>arbitrarily moving the definition of robot to suit your current argument

Happens every time.
>>
>>27935301
literally every med student I know or people striving to get into med school are turbo-normies

medical school students are literally chads and stacies on the majority
>>
>>27935260
chemical engineering is shit
the school i went to was more focused on biotech so i didnt learn shit about industrial chemical engineering, like oil and gas or plastics, all i learned was cell culture and some genetic engineering, so all i could do was work in pharma
if you want to find a job you better have some summer interships or semester coops with established companies before you graduate

my final advice is, don't work in cell culture, don't work with anything living, it's a real hassle
>>
>>27935357
>literally every med student I know
>I know
>sample size of a robot's social circle

wewlad
>>
>>27930417
No, I don't give a shit about the women. I'm into it for the subject matter itself. Functional Neuro is simply the most interesting thing in the world to me. There was a paper published in Nature last week that took us one step closer to deus ex augmentations/
>>
>>27934399
Did you apply to only top schools? Those are really good numbers.
>tfw i'm fucked.
>>
>>27935166
Nah, there are less shitty ways to get money. If I had to go through medical school again, I wouldn't. Admittedly there was some pressure from my parents but I just like medicine a lot. I considered surgery more though back when I was younger but that training is killer. I like medicine but I don't like it that much, shit.

>>27935191
Staring at charts and people's medical information a lot. Talk with a patient find out their progress or what's wrong with them if they're new, write my report, get their medicine sent to the pharmacy, request appointments and services like CT scans, update their chart, another patient, more writing, repeat repeat repeat. Lots of paperwork.
>>
Anyone know anything about immunology? Seems like a pretty comfy job considering the pay+it's not necessary to have a med degree
>>
>>27934687

Oh, I should have specified that it's a medical lab tech job. There's no research, you're just testing blood samples and shit to send results to docs. It's like what you do, just not on a level as advanced as your job.
>>
>>27935510
no man a mix of private and local
my dad actually works for a medical school and they were the only ones to give me an interview but surprise i botched that
in retrospect i guess my essays were trash, i couldnt actually explain why i wanted to be a doctor, plus i didnt really have much in the way of clinical volunteering experience
i didnt bother applying again, so i guess they were right in rejecting me
>>
>>27935434
The school I go to is all about materials and industrial so I'm not super worried. I have plenty of opportunities for co-ops coming up so I'll do my best. I'm hoping to work in natural gas desu.
>>
I asked for a med school girl's number and got friendzoned
tell me I dodged a bullet
>>
>>27935101
anyone know if epidemiology is any good
>>
Neurology doc are you in Boston?
>>
>>27935688
My mom's a doctor. She's a very nice, intelligent woman.
>>
>>27935299
As long as you complete the prereqs they love that.
>>
>>27929924
>implying the majority of people working for NASA aren't chads

Chads tend to be more intelligent than perma virgin aspies
>>
>>27935762
how was your family life like? was your mom around to do housewife stuff? or did your dad do the stay at home thing?
>>
File: 1458856297902.png (439 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458856297902.png
439 KB, 1024x1024
Who /DoubleSpecialty/ here?
>>
>>27936468
My mom is a psychiatrist, so she got to choose all her hours. From until I was in middle school, she was usually home when I got home from school, and had a snack prepared for me when I got home. Typically chicken tendies or something like that. Very comfy.

My dad always worked full time as an oral surgeon.
>>
>>27936510
What is your double speciality?
>>
>>27936558
I'm thinking immuno and hemo.
>>
>>27936510
This probably doesn't count but I'm starting my trauma & orthopaedic training in 3 months and am about start my final year of an engineering masters so I should end up a surgeon with a MSc in engineering in a couple of years if I don't fuck up everything.

Have to finish a few months in general medicine which is shit though.
>>
>>27936598
>>27936612

Have you found that being a med student/doctor makes you more attractive to qts?
>>
File: 2016-04-17_180101.jpg (104 KB, 764x565) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-17_180101.jpg
104 KB, 764x565
Starting anesthesia residency this July, I can answer any specific questions if you have them. Don't listen to this guy >>27929799. He's completely retarded and has no idea what he's talking about. Radiology is fairly competitive with just over 1,100 spots in the country and at last count an average step 1 score of 240. If you're absolutely committed to getting radiology and don't want to risk the off chance of only placing into a mediocre IM or FM program, I suggest you spend the first two years studying your ass off and blow your step 1 out of the water. 3rd year was much easier as most of the time is spent in the hospital doing practical learning rather than burying your face in a book all day and night. There's a pretty steep learning curve though between linking the shit you learned in books to what you actually see in real life. 4th year is your year off before your life becomes hell again in residency.
>>
File: TheCore.jpg (157 KB, 1379x896) Image search: [Google]
TheCore.jpg
157 KB, 1379x896
>>27936716
I always see cunt's eyes light up went i mention i'm in med school or if they see my stethoscope or lab coat. It's really repulsive desu i always avoid the "what do you do anon?"questions with jokes for this reason.
>>
>>27936716
Not as a med student since you are basically surrounded all the time by turbo chads and staceys who on top of being out-going are also athletic, clever or all of the above. And generally in med school you only ever hang out with med students or doctors so no on is impressed you are one as well.

As an actualy doctor though, yes.
>>
File: medschool.png (34 KB, 1168x339) Image search: [Google]
medschool.png
34 KB, 1168x339
>>27930698
>I actually feel like I would be a good doctor, but I also think that there's plenty of kids who could take my seat and be be just as good.

There are many, many more retards out there that could take your seat as well. For every 1 great doctor out there, there's at least 10 mediocre ones and 5 bad ones. If you've already been accepted, then you're set. It's not going to be easy. Expect to put in at least 8 hours of pure study time daily, but most people make it. Whenever I've had doubts, I always stop to think about how many people before me have made it. There are women out there who have done it. And there is no way I'm going to come up second to a woman.

Medicine was something my parents forced me into. I never really wanted to help people and I hated talking to them. I've regretted doing it more times than I can count over the course of medical school, but at the end of it I can say I'm glad I did it. I've found a field that I love and fits me perfectly. And there are so many different fields of medicine out there I feel there is probably something for everyone. Treating lifestyle choices is basically in the realm of family medicine outpatient, it's hardly ever the primary focus in the hospital.
>>
>>27931406
>engineers or lawyers earn just as much with less hours put in

Not sure how much engineers or lawyers make, but there's no doctor in any field out there making less than 200k. And there are plenty of specialists that pull in over a million.
>>
>>27929447
Not medical, but in my last year of graduate school. Finally gonna have my doctorate and I can look into professorial positions.
I always looked at my professors and thought: "Man, I'll never act that crazy. I have my head on straight".
Then I went to grad school.
>>
>>27936612
What kind of engineering?
>>
Medfag here, med school is a huge fuckfest if you are a normie.
Also from the third world, ask me anything.
>>
File: 1457318310199.gif (1 MB, 457x358) Image search: [Google]
1457318310199.gif
1 MB, 457x358
>wanted to go to med school
>shadowed a bunch of docs, realized I don't want to go to med school where I'd essentially kill myself for 4-6 years and waste my youth
>have a friend who's in med school, he literally looks dead inside
>mfw I work for a big pharma company now who paid for my masters, I get to travel the world on their expense (going to japan this summer, feelsgoodman)
>could have got into med school (38 mcat, 3.8 gpa, great ec's) easily
feels good to be getting 120k a year at 24 while traveling the world, having time for myself, living in a nice place and free of debt

you have to be super motivated and actually WANT to help other people to be a doctor, I just wanted power money and women and I got it
>>
>>27937644
Orthopaedic Enigineering, basically mechanical engineering but very specific to joints and joint arthoplasty. Got an exam coming up for it in just under a month. It's mainly to add something cool to my CV when I apply for higher speciality training in 2 years time.
>>
>>27937834
Then why are you here you normie piece of shit?
>>
>>27938046
as someone said itt, med students are the definition of normie
>>
>>27937753
Are you normie. If not, how does it feel going to school with a bunch of normies? If so, get the fuck off my board you worthless piece of shit.
>>
>>27931106
>friends and senpai
>>
>>27930604
Signs this is a shitpost.
1. Says they're a neurologist and still in school.
2.unaware that people don't have a speciality till after school during residency
3.thinks residency is the same as Medical School
>>
>>27937834
Are you Asian
Asian original
>>
>>27938553
Signs someone is illiterate: This post. Nowhere does it say any of those things.
>>
yeah i'm in med school term 1. need to gtfo of 4chan now and go back to lipoproteins.
>>
>>27937834
Damn man. What and where did you do for undergrad and what is your position now?
>>
>>27929447
Congrats on getting some stuff done in life.
But that image you attached is cancer.
>>
>>27938570
sandnigger

>>27938684
canada, UoO
biochem
I work for big pharma and just got to know the right people (one summer I volunteered to do research in a hospital for free, the doc to thank me got me an interview and I made it)
>>
>>27929447
>radiology
Terrible idea. Teleradiology is a thing. A couple health systems in my area stopped using their own radiologists. They contracted out all their reads to another company on the other side of the country. Luckily, Medicare rules say that teleradiology has to be done on US soil, but you still aren't safe.

Pathology is going down the same road. Grossing is done in the hospital, but microscopic work is about to be sent out electronically.

If you're in med school, you want more patient contact, not less. The less contact, the easier it is to replace you. If you like nuclear medicine, go into interventional radiology.
>>
>>27938553
>Says they're a neurologist and still in school.
Point out where I said I was still in school.

>unaware that people don't have a speciality till after school during residency
Point out where I said this.

>thinks residency is the same as Medical School
Oh please point out where I said this despite the fact that I made several references to residency when I was talking to other posts.
>>
>>27938755
>I work for big pharma
You get to travel. I'm jelly. What position?
>>
>>27938825
officially, consulting, analysis and research, I work for a small branch in a large company so its comfy, on some days I meet and talk with reps from hospitals or doctors, others I work in the lab (bioinformatics and genetics)

the travel is business related and I have no idea why they don't just use skype conferences for most things desu
Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.