[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"What literature do you enjoy anon? I noticed you had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11
File: D_2.jpg (49 KB, 558x372) Image search: [Google]
D_2.jpg
49 KB, 558x372
>"What literature do you enjoy anon? I noticed you had a Garnett translation of Tolstoy on your bookshelf yesterday, surely you don't read that outdated trash? do you?"
>>
I think you're mistaking me for someone else.
>>
"You better not be implying Tolstoy's outdated trash! That book was a gift from my grandfather, my other editions are in the bedroom."

Best reply I could come up with. I don't like Tolstoy though.
>>
this isn't the kind of paragraph girl thread I wanted to see.
>>
I LIKE HARRY POTTER LMAO
>>
>red nails
eww.
>>
>>27919163
Oh no Tolstoy suck , i am currently reading fault in our star by John green
>>
>what's the difference
>uh...
>yeah I thought so you fucking poser
>>
>>27919163
>reading
pff weak
>>
>>27919292
This. John Green is the genius voice of a generation of cereal lovers.
>>
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 1011x1013) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 1011x1013
>>27919163
>noetzsche
>restorationist ancient litersture
>greek plays
>great poetic epics
>conan the barbarian and lovecraft

What do you read? Twilight?
>>
>>27919402
camus, sartre, goncourt, louis ferdinand celine, dostojevsky, tolstoy, gogol, shakespeare, melville, seneca, nietzsche, steven king, max frisch, anna seghers, goethe and some more
>>
Hm? Toy Story? Nah, I was more of a Shrek kinda guy.
>>
Only lit that girls read is either shit from highschool or tumblr garbage. Even if you hand them some real stuff it's impossible for them to see beyond the surface to the actual meaning. I mean chicks unironiclly think the great Gatsby is just a romance novel
>>
>thats why I dont read any philosophy, its just going to be become outdated when the next big name comes along to sell a million books
>I prefer hard science and facts, lady.
>>
>reading translations
plebs
>>
File: 3399586.jpg (23 KB, 260x400) Image search: [Google]
3399586.jpg
23 KB, 260x400
Gotta study the enemy closesly robros.
>>
File: IMAG0583.jpg (2 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0583.jpg
2 MB, 3808x2144
I mostly read about Japanese war crimes during the second world war
>>
Just some light reading
>>
>>27920716
That book's like 1450 pages long tho
>>
>>27920742
Even so, it's a pretty fast read
>>
>>27920712
Iris Chang brutal depressing story
>>
File: 1459370952795.jpg (40 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1459370952795.jpg
40 KB, 657x527
>>27919163
The Fault in Our Twilight Games

druly an underraded glassic
>>
>>27920712
I bet you think 6 million jews really died in the holocaust too, you intellectual cuckold.
>>
>>27920716
Are you a grill? I have it on good authority grills aren't allowed to read.

Also Nazis.
>>
>>27919163
Post your favorite book R9K
>Either 1984 or the road for me
>>
>>27920771
she was wrong though, and seriously a crybaby
>>27920791
well, I do enjoy researching the complicity of other European cultures in supposedly 'German' crimes like the vel' d'hiv, jedwabne, etc.
>>
>>27920791
https://desustorage.org/his/thread/509405/
>>
>>27920759
lots of subsections and chapter breaks, so yes it reads quick
>>
>>27919522
>steven king
>dostojevsky
>>
>>27919163
i got it for a buck at my library. dont judge me cunt
>>
>>27920780
Are you implying by grouping The Hunger Games with Twilight and The Fault in Our Stars that you didn't like it? I thought it was pretty imaginative and well-executed, especially the last one.
>>
File: kinghead[1].jpg (84 KB, 630x442) Image search: [Google]
kinghead[1].jpg
84 KB, 630x442
>>27919522
>>27920907
o shite nigga
>>
>>27920842
Fuck you how dare you denounce iris Chang what the fuck
>>
File: TheCampOfTheSaints.jpg (24 KB, 261x375) Image search: [Google]
TheCampOfTheSaints.jpg
24 KB, 261x375
the greatest story of our time.
>>
>>27920971
I actually have nothing against the Hunger Games I just wanted to make up a generic YA novel name.

Also if I get a gf I want her to wear the wetsuit-braid combo I just can't get it out of my head
>>
>>27921022
generalizing an entire people as she does either validates the original opinion of the Japanese in 1937 or is wrong.

I'd like to see someone defend 1930s racial policies and then still claim what happened was wrong.
>>
>>27919522
>not quine
>not lermontov
>not pushkin
>not whitehead
pls
>>
>>27921022
>>27921059
also anyone who abandons their two-year-old child clearly does not have the strength of character or moral basis to judge people.
>>
>>27919522
>camus, sartre, goncourt, louis ferdinand celine, dostojevsky, tolstoy, gogol, shakespeare, melville, seneca, nietzsche, steven king, max frisch, anna seghers, goethe

Saving these so I can impress people on a lawn maintenance website later.
>>
>Tolstoy
I'm not interested in the ramblings of some hack guru.
>>
>implying I read

What kind of fucking beta nerd do you take me for
>>
>>27921120
Make sure you correct the misspelled names -- Dostoevsky and Stephen. Actually, exclude Stephen altogether, he's pleb-tier.
>>
>>27919163
Are you seriously wearing a blanket in public?
>>
File: his body was not ready.png (111 KB, 275x278) Image search: [Google]
his body was not ready.png
111 KB, 275x278
>tfw getting Master's in literature
>go back and look at childhood favorites
>misogynist pedophile Piers Anthony wrote them all
>couldn't tell before because I just cruised through them as a kid/teen
>>
>>27921220
desu the only piers anthony i've read was macroscope and i don't even know why, just sounded kind a kinda neat concept
>>
>>27921266
Macroscope wasn't so egregious.

If you get the chance, flip through Anthonology or read Firefly. Even the most hardcore MRA /pol/lack would be hard-pressed to handwave the extreme misogyny in those books.

If you don't need to be cockslapped with it to notice, Xanth and Incarnations of Immortality though the latter remains close and dear to me are pretty bad from a critical standpoint as well.
>>
>>27921302
i get recommended xanth from my tumblr friend
this should be gud
>>
Is the Constance Garnet translation really considered outdated? I was always told that his Dostoevsky translations were better than P&V so I just assumed the same held true for Tolstoy.
>>
>>27921220
>caring about misogyny in art
Looks like the education only hurt you.
>>
>>27921220
I bought a shitload of his books on amazon one night because he made me feel nice as a pedo in that one book (you know the one), but it turned out that his writing is trash tier at best.

He's got my money though.
>>
>>27921319
Xanth books are fun to read, honestly. Well, the first few. They go into a tailspin after I'd say the fourth book at the very latest.

Final press of the misogyny button: If anyone was going to say "His misogynistic views are a contrived result of the settings/characters in his books!" I'd point out that 1. his male characters are all the exact fucking same "logic and rationality and scholarship" cookie-cutter (though there are slight personality tics to distract from this, such as Mym's stutter in Incarnations of Immortality 4 for example), but if you took non-characteristic lines from any two of his characters and compared them you'd be hard-pressed to tell who said which unless you knew beforehand.

By non-characteristic I mean only things that don't completely give away who's saying them. Not bland lines that any stock character could say.

Also, further bolstering the notion that he's a misogynist pedophile is this interview, where he's speaking for and about himself (so that the common excuse of "it's just his characters/world-building!" doesn't hold water):
https://news.slashdot.org/story/02/07/14/1854209/piers-anthony-unbound

>>27921390
Sorry, I'll go back to ignoring it. That's the right thing to do. :^)

>>27921406
He was basically my surrogate father when I was a teenager. I read just about everything of his, and loved the Author's Notes especially since it was like having a conversation with him.

But there's problems too. Nobody's perfect. I wouldn't say trash tier, but it's pulpy to the core.
>>
>>27921220
>>27921390
It reads like poetry doesn't it

>be some guy
>go into academia
>something something lit
>le missoginny
>>
>>27921443
that took longer than i expected. i thought the thread would go up in smoke as soon as he wrote 'misogyny'.
>>
>>27919163
>>"What literature do you enjoy anon? I noticed you had a Garnett translation of Tolstoy on your bookshelf yesterday, surely you don't read that outdated trash? do you?"
>stop liking what i don't like
>internet argument meme
were done here.
>>
File: absolutely saddening.jpg (24 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
absolutely saddening.jpg
24 KB, 400x300
>tfw I only read nonfiction
everyone else who reads hates me
>>
reading is for normalfags
>>
>>27921491
Same here. Been reading some history books lately.
>>
>>27921425
>Sorry, I'll go back to ignoring it. That's the right thing to do. :^)
No, the right thing is to affirm and value it.
>>
>>27919163
>reading fiction
Huehuehue

HUEHUEHUE
>>
>>27921556
Why?

O i i a l
r g n !
>>
>>27919163
The only thing I've read is the first third of The Game by Neil Strauss before I did what I usually do the few times I pick a book up, which is bailing partway in.
>>
>>27921587
inb4 he replies with "because wimmen really are inferior!"
>>
>>27921587
It should warm your heart that there are people out there that have expressed healthy attitudes about gender. It's really something we should cherish.

>>27921642
That would only mean something if they weren't.
>>
>>27921642
It's the main reason I asked. He's either baiting or going to post some stormfront-level argument.

From a purely selfish standpoint I have no reason to care about misogyny since I'm gay.
>>
>>27921678
>invalidating and disparaging half the world's population
>healthy

Just waiting for the evolutionary psychology nonsense to crop up next.
>>
I think I finally realized why women can't be lonely, and hence cannot be robots.
Every noticed how depressed, suicidal, introverted, shy etc men mostly have no friends, not to speak of romantic prospects, yet the most depressed passive lunatic suicidal women always have something going for them?
notice how most of the time those women have mostly male friends. they'll came they "get along better with men". That's obviously a lie.

It goes as follows:
For men:
1. man has nothing to offer to the table.
2. man is isolated and lonely

For women:
1. woman has nothing to offer to the table
2. wait, she does, by merely existing, i.e her body
3. with this body she will get social attentions from these kinds of males:
a. those who intend to sleep with her
b. those who hope someday to be able to sleep with her
c. those who have no hope of managing to sleep with her but are still drawn to her because of biological imperative
That's why failed women have mostly/ all male "friends". but that means women can never be lonely. sure, it's not true relationships, but it's far better than nothing.

Notice how somewhat attractive gay men are in a similar position (not entirely as sex flows far more freely there so the thirst is far less real)

tl version: the reason you are lonely is because you're a straight man.
>>
>>27921696
>>invalidating and disparaging half the world's population
>healthy
When empowering them and supporting them only works to torture the other half, it's perfectly fine. If anything, I'd say invalidating and disparaging them doesn't go far enough.

>Just waiting for the evolutionary psychology nonsense to crop up next.
I'm not really fond of it, but I can respect any alternative to the sociological conflict theory we're obligated to view gender relationships through.
>>
>>27921696
>invalidating and disparaging half the world's population

jesus christ women exaggerate like no other

If I call a bitch a bitch i'm not disparaging all women.

I'm just describing the behavior succinctly
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.