[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have enough attention span for classical music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
Do you have enough attention span for classical music?
>>
The "listening to classical music means I'm intelligent" meme needs to die. It's just music family.
>>
File: 1445188739479.jpg (71 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1445188739479.jpg
71 KB, 396x385
Yes I do.

Posting most based Tchaikovsky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTE08SS8fNk
>>
>>27910271
>I'm 12 and no one can possibly enjoy something that I deem stupid

Time to grow up. Some people actually understand art music, granted they're usually classical musicians themselves, but still.
>>
File: 1438142298214.jpg (458 KB, 2480x1754) Image search: [Google]
1438142298214.jpg
458 KB, 2480x1754
Yes, but unfortunately I don't have the time.
>>
>>27910225
Yes, I also open-minded enough that I will listen to LITERALLY any music genre
>>
File: pietro_nardini_engraved_by_g_b.jpg (115 KB, 447x550) Image search: [Google]
pietro_nardini_engraved_by_g_b.jpg
115 KB, 447x550
Bumping with Nardini's violin concertos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJJ5esA2rDQ
>>
>>27910271
Nah, listening to classical music properly is an activity in itself and requires a good deal of musical knowledge and training. "Listening" to classical music like fedoralords and posturing normies do where they basically just use it as pretty background music and then act like they're oh so highly cultured is what's meme tier.
>>
>>27910354
>not bumping with Bach

casual detected
>>
>>27910337
>art music

haha what. Classical music was just pop music from back in its day, meant to entertain the masses and upper class.

>>27910271
I think that there's a correlation but not causation, not to mention that while they may be intelligent in one thing, they're usually hopelessly retarded in other aspects of intelligence.
>>
>>27910337
He wasn't bashing the music itself. He was tired of you being a fag about it.
>>
>>27910370
The true answer reveals itself. If you're not already a trained musician then your enjoyment of classical music is superficial at best, sad truth but truth nonetheless.
>>
>>27910337
Wtf... Try some reading comprehension.

Nowhere did I critique classical music. I critiqued the pretentious twats who think they're more intelligent or have a better attention span just because they listen to classical.
>>
>>27910370
>Nah, listening to classical music properly is an activity in itself and requires a good deal of musical knowledge and training.
Nonsense. Your second sentence is correct in that you can only properly enjoy classical music if you give it your full attention, like you would a book or a film, but you don't have to be learned in its theory to enjoy the music and let it paint pictures for the mind's eye.
>>
>>27910414
>not basing your enjoyment of music on emotion, instead on irrelevant to you technical aspects
ill say beethoven is about struggle, and human imperfection , bach about everything is harmony etc
>>
>>27910400
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music
"art music" is a common and well defined term you fucking mong, and whether you like it or not that's what classical music is
>>
>>27910400
Music from the baroque and classical eras, yes. But later romantic composers wrote music with the specific intention of it being art. Hence the term art music (it's a real thing, Google it). It's generally more complex and difficult to listen to so normies tend to write it off.
>>
I like classical music and I'm a mouth-breathing retard.
I especially take to turn of century composers emulating the shell shocked new artistic theories like Schoenberg and Satie.
>>
>>27910400
You can't really compare it to four chord songs that appears on weekly top charts. Composing music required years of training back in the day. It wasn't made to be as accessible as possible so yeah it is "art music".
>>
>>27910504
actually romantic is one that entry-level and meant for normies
>>
>>27910478
>basing everything on emotion

are you an animal? do you posses any higher thinking faculties? the appeal to emotion is weak at best and you know it.
>>
>>27910536
but if OP is just about specifically the classical period, even though it was 90 years and people use it as a blanket for composition, I'm a real fag for Beethoven because it's edgy and bombastic.
>>
>>27910568
>Beethoven
>Tchaikovsky
>Chopin
>entry level
good one m8
>>
I only can listen to things I enjoy listening to.

Some of Debussy's Preludes are pretty good, and I have a local recording of Dvorak's Ninth. But some stuff can be pretty dull to listen to --but it's not really dependent on length.

Also fuck you robot for not allowing me to spell half of this shit right (no unicode).
>>
I like J. S. Bach, especially as MIDI with FM synths and the tempo cranked up.

If I'm listening to real instruments, I apply a slow look-ahead compressor to reduce the dynamic range while preserving all the transients so it still sounds uncompressed, and pitch it up a bit. (In general I listen to everything pitched up 10% unless it has vocals).

I like some of Shostakovich's works too (same audio processing).
>>
>>27910435
but that's the problem. you critique someone who you THINK is a twat for even preferring classical music when for all you know that person could be a professional orchestral player. it's just stupid to even presume something like that, everyone wants to have their musical tastes unquestioned but if someone says they like classical music then suddenly they are labeled a "twat"
>>
>>27910581
If it boils down to formulae, why not just listen to procedurally generated music?
>>
>>27910225
I go to the symphony just about every week. Just saw Mahler 4 and they played some Golijov too.
>>
>>27910488
>>27910504
>>27910547
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music
>includes electronic music and jazz

haha what a dumb fedora meme

This is circle-jerking at its finest. It's just notes on a sheet played by an instrument, you don't need training to listen to music. The note is there or it isn't.

>no man you don't understand you can't REALLY listen to the music and fully appreciate it

stoner talk 2bh
>>
>>27910634
>If I'm listening to real instruments, I apply a slow look-ahead compressor to reduce the dynamic range while preserving all the transients so it still sounds uncompressed, and pitch it up a bit. (In general I listen to everything pitched up 10% unless it has vocals).
Cancer.
>>
>>27910478
you offer lofty, and correct, impressions of beethoven but only average ones for bach, sad. without bach western music as it is today would not exist. he is simply monumental in the history of music. if i may offer a different analogue: beethoven is about being human and struggling for greatness, mozart is the music we all want to hear in heaven, and bach bridges the gaps between them. his music is grounded and earthy but at the same time has a way of opening up something within us that some people have called the divine.
>>
>>27910668
>if someone says they like classical music then suddenly they are labeled a "twat"

The premise of this thread is calling out people who don't listen to classic music as not having a proper attention span. Then the classical music defense force came out to say how you have to have 7PhDs to fully understand and comprehend music that was written by a syphilitic autist 300 years ago.

So yes, they are twats.
>>
>>27910719
>It's just notes on a sheet played by an instrument
are you really that dumb
You can appreciate how it sounds on a superficial level, sure, but it requires some knowledge to understand finer things like voice leading, counterpoint, harmonies etc
>>
>>27910719
>being this ignorant of hamonies and overtones.

there's a reason normies love musicals. it's because of a skillfull use of a certain chord sequences that are time-tested to provoke an emotional response in the listener. one note on a piece of paper is literally nothing, why did you even use that as an argument?
>>
>>27910668
You seriously lack reading comprehension.

Nowhere did I critique classical music or people who enjoy classical music. The only thing I was critiquing was people who claim that liking classical makes them more intelligent. Clearly this conversation shows that isn't true.
>>
>>27910751
Orchestral recordings have too much dynamic range. I use vlevel LADSPA plugin to reduce it so as not to annoy neighbors. This does not cause "loudness war" sound, all transients are preserved, the only side effect is you can tell when the loud parts are coming because of the pre-fading.

Pitching up makes everything sound better, and you get to listen to more music in the same time. You don't even get much subjective bass loss because bass is adjusted to frequencies where the human ear is more sensitive. Only side effect is making vocals sound weird.

Musicians think they are making art, so you can safely ignore their preferences.
>>
>>27910719
>not being able to listen past the tone the instrument makes

lol there's a whole higher echelon of musicianship that you are completely ignorant of. i was actually talking bout this with a friend the other day, how people can only listen to the tone on top but the deeper musical things are not even grasped. i dont know if its a skill or what but literally 90% of people don't listen they just hear.
>>
>>27910846
>Orchestral recordings have too much dynamic range.

You say this like its a bad thing. This is my main criticism of electronic music is that it is so static, literally one or two timbres the entire track. Very little searing intensity in the loudness or whispering in the softness. Plus way more textures and colors to combine (piccolos and muted trumpets in 10ths anyone?). Having to adjust classical music so you can listen to it is fine, but really youre doing yourself a disservice in the long run i think, anon.
>>
>>27910795
>>27910808
>>27910884

>MUH DEEP AND NUANCED EMOTIONAL MEMES THAT CAN ONLY BE HEARD THROUGH HOURS OF STUDYING

nah man all you need is decent speakers or headphones and fully functioning ears. Music is music.
>>
>>27910846
>Pitching up makes everything sound better
[citation needed]
there's even a movement to try to get the international pitch lowered to a=438Hz instead of 440Hz because lower the pitch is seen as warmer and darker and more resonant. higher pitch is a meme.
>>
>>27910975
whatever man, you're just baiting at this point. Just reread the replies until you fucking get what I was trying to say.
>>
>>27910846
>Musicians think they are making art, so you can safely ignore their preferences.
WEW LAD, they're literally the ones who made the interpretation of the piece of classical music. why are you listening if you want nything other than their specific interpretation (and that includes decisions about pitch and tempo and mixing). you're literally the person all musicians hate, i hope you know that.
>>
>>27910949
>Very little searing intensity
I don't want searing intensity. Searing intensity hurts my ears.

The arrangement of notes has sufficient intensity especially at 1.1x speed, and especially Russian composers.

>>27911004
>warmer and darker
I don't want warmer and darker, I want brighter and faster. Pitch inflation happened for good reasons, and now we have the technology to push it further.
>>
>>27911050
if you dont want nuance and extremes then why the fuck are you even listening to classical music? that's like being mad at a dog for barking.
>>
>>27911050
> Pitch inflation happened for good reasons
Dude you don't want to get into a discussion about pitch with me. I did my doctoral thesis on the rising pitch of european baroque recorders. i am vastly more knowledgeable than you about the reasons behind pitch inflation and it has nothing to do with "muh electronics"
>>
>>27911049
Musicians also ignored the work of the greatest theorist of all time, William Sethares, so I really don't care what musicians think.

Reposting this link in the futile hope that some musicians will see it any actually try something new for once:
http://sethares.engr.wisc.edu/papers/consance.html

>>27911078
>why the fuck are you even listening to classical music
J. S. Bach - because it has a kind of hypnotic effect
Russian composers - because it gets you hyped up like metal

But shit like Mozart, no, I do not have the attention span for something that boring.

>>27911132
Obviously, electronics didn't exist then. But now we have electronics we can pitch everything up and make it sound better.
>>
>>27910774
>all art is worthless because the human who made it were flawed

WEW LAD
>>
>>27910225
Yes, but I cannot listen to Beethoven at all, or any of the Classical composers for that matter. I much prefer Bach and Baroque in general actually, but late Romantic composers and Impressionism are pretty neat as well.

Although I must admit, I'm not very fond of long symphonies and concertos. Rachmaninoffs second is god tier though
>>
>>27911154
>But shit like Mozart, no, I do not have the attention span for something that boring.

I agree with you on this. Most classical compositions are played WAY too reserved and dry. There are actual good interpretations of music but they tend to be by period instrument ensembles, that is to say instruments that would have been played at the time the music was written. check em out.
>>
>>27911168
Who are you quoting? I didn't say that.
>>
>>27910225
yes but if it's something super boring and generic like mahler i'll just pass
>>
>>27910225

Too complicated. Can't follow shit.
Whoever listens to it as background noise filler is doing it wrong and will inevitably outgrow his "intelligent" phase.
>>
>>27910616
>tchaikovsky
you would post mahler at least. And liszt instead of chopin (which is great tho)
>>
>>27911281
i dont think he was quoting you just saying it's what your argument implies, i think
>>
Yeah but more stuff like Debussy
>>
Guys, what is J.S. Bach's greatest work and why is it so blatantly obviously 'Ich Habe Genug'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XopQG0Gjgmo

That first aria is LITERALLY god tier. Fuck the recitatives though.
>>
>>27911420
idk im partial to the Johannespassion myself, but yes the cantatas are kind of fucking amazing
>>
>>27911373
>"FIVE HOUR CLASSICAL MUSIC FOR STUDYING - DUDE PIANO MUSIC LMAO XD"

Literally the worst type of faggots.
>>
>>27911493
wait, people actually do this?
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 130x231) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 130x231
>>27910225
Do YOU have the attention span to listen to a full Hindustani Raga?
>mfw these plebs think they have a "unique" taste because they listen to some well known composer from the 18th-20th century who had a few scores in some movie they saw
>mfw plebs will think that they are "sophisticated"

>inb4 poo in loo
>tfw caucasian male living in US

http://youtu.be/bM9B9jal_Ao
>>
>>27911754
There's a shitload of youtube videos that are basically just multiple hours of Enaudi and Yann Tiersen with some basic Chopin stuff thrown in. Chad and Stacy listen to it when studying for their finals because "classical music is like so relaxing".
>>
>>27910225
Holy shit you're a massive faggot OP, and a pretentious one too. Arrogant cuck actually thinks he's the only one to listen to classical music and brings in the cultured banter. I wish classical music cucks would die already.

>>27911808
I do, because, you know, I like it and I enjoy doing things I like. Enjoying music sure is revolutionary and makes me unique mon.
>>
File: 540px-Feel_Eyes_Closed.jpg (28 KB, 540x599) Image search: [Google]
540px-Feel_Eyes_Closed.jpg
28 KB, 540x599
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-I7wbMY-A4

Just kill me desu
>>
>>27911420
>>27911420
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMffJBeuwz4
>>
File: 1395852651248.jpg (24 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1395852651248.jpg
24 KB, 396x385
>>27911844

This is like women hate thread but worse.
>>
>>27911862
Its not what i meant actually. Music is music and everyone could listen, but 20 minutes long tracks arent for anime/vidyas faggots generally
>>27911808
Maybe but you dont listen ro indian classical you just know about that. We are western and we listen to western music
>>
>>27910225
Hated clasical when I grew up because I played a lot of classical music myself and was forced to classical concerts. Appreciated it more now that im not forced to hear it.
>>
>>27910271

Yes i do. But i'm still a meme tier listener. But i mostly don't care, i just listen to whatever i like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev2ggbakfGw
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.