[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>talking with people while looking at them in the eyes Why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14
File: 1362001091578.jpg (23 KB, 556x376) Image search: [Google]
1362001091578.jpg
23 KB, 556x376
>talking with people while looking at them in the eyes

Why is this so hard holy shit
>>
Same boat.

Should I maintain eye contact all the time or drop it? And if I have to drop it when, where, for how long?
>>
cuz ur autistic m8
>>
Because, if you look too deep into a normies eyes, you will see they have no soul. truly frightening
>>
File: 1388947050190.png (14 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1388947050190.png
14 KB, 800x600
Dante must die mode: be manlet so you have to maintain eye contact WHILE LOOKING UP
>>
>>27887917
I know right? I've worked on this for years and now I maintain more eye contact than anyone. But I still have trouble sometimes with this shit.
>>
Yeah It's literaly impossible for me and I dont even need to be talking either, my fucking college professor looking me in the eyes makes me bring my head down and pretend to read something.
>>
Just stop fighting it and stare at your shoes like a good autist.
>>
>>27887917

There's a series of videos called "miterudake" ("just looking") intended to help people adjust to making eye contact.

They help, a bit...and they're shoulders up, so you don't have additional distractions like body movement, clothing, etc.

This one is of a Japanese woman, but I remember finding videos at one point of various ages and races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A12dH72757U

Hope if helps a bit.
>>
You can just look at people's noses if it's any easier.
Our brains make it so that we don't see our nose and just ignore it (as it would otherwise interfere with your view) so if you look people in the nose they will think you're making eye contact when in reality you aren't.
>>
>never notice I don't look at people when they talk with me
>get told
>do it
>ezpz
works on my machine
>locking eyes with strangers on public transport
now that's the real shit
>>
File: 1447571749237.png (10 KB, 427x451) Image search: [Google]
1447571749237.png
10 KB, 427x451
>tfw trying to fidget with things or pretend to be distracted just to drop eye contact because you can't hold it for less than a couple of seconds
>>
>>27887917
before i couldn't do it
now i won't break it, normies are not confortable and break it first
>>
>>27887917

I can maintain eye contact but I can never talk properly. Can't have recreational conversations and I always say stupid shit. Plus I have a 100 meter stare.
>>
>>27888096

After multiple tries, I find got up to 4 seconds trying to look someone in a video in the eyes.

4 seconds. Palms actually started to get sweaty.

>tfw diagnosed schizoid personality disorder
>no hope for me
>>
File: 1800hotlinememes.jpg (74 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1800hotlinememes.jpg
74 KB, 690x460
>>27887917
Just look into their fucking eyes it isn't hard at all.

I know you "don't like it" and it's "uncomfortable" but literally all you have to do it LOOK

LOOK AT THEIR FUCKING EYES THAT'S IT
>>
>>27887917

I can do it, but sometimes I feel like I'm staring rather than just looking. I focus on making eye contact, then I forget to actually make facial expressions to express how I feel about what they're saying. It creeps people out sometimes, which is actually kind of funny tbqh.
>>
Does anyone get a feeling of being trapped when you look into someone's eyes?
>>
>>27887917
point your eyes at their eyes but keep them slightly unfocused, as if you were actually focusing on something between you, and maintain 'eye contact' for as long as you or the other person is speaking, then look away 'thoughtfully' with a slight nod, as if you were contemplating what was said.
easy.
>>
So do you guys like, focus on the left or right eye?
My eyes always seem to revert to "look through" and I know it seems creepy.

Goddam it's harder than it seems at first.
>>
/adv/ has your anwer

>A huge part of natural eye contact has to do with honesty, which is why when people are dishonest, they might avoid eye contact or make it feel unnatural. Do you feel you have a history of dishonesty? Do you feel compelled to act unnaturally? Do you feel pressure? Clearly you do, because eye contact is difficult for you and you can't hold it.

what are you hiding op?
>>
>>27889966
that is dump as fuck

I am a compulsive liar and i always look in the eyes when talking to someone
the only thing not maintaining eye contact shows is your lack of confidence.
>>
>>27887917
Try to focus what color their eyes are, works for me.
>>
look at their nose, they can't tell the difference.
>>
>>27887917
I think thats an autism thing
>>
NORMIE TIP:

If eye contact is difficult, look at their nose. It'll appear as though you're looking them in the eyes.
>>
you've got to look off into the distance every now and then

it adds an air of mystery
>>
Is it weird that I've always seen eye contact as sort of romantic/sexual? I can make eye contact with a female I'm interested in, but I can't seem to do it with anyone else. Looking into other men's eyes always seems kind of gay to me.
>>
>>27887917
Because you don't look at the bridge of their nose.
>>
Nigga yous gots inferiority complexes. Y'all mammies were your worst enemies. If your mother is still alive, bash her head in with a hammer.
>>
>>27888096
that was creepy as fuck even tho she was a qt
>>
File: EYES.jpg (64 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
EYES.jpg
64 KB, 700x400
>>27889035
If they are on my left I focus on their right eye with my left eye and vice versa if they are on my right.
Point the toe of your foot that is closer to them at them and gesture with the arm that is closer to them in their direction. This is how stage presence works. Actors always do this on stage.
>>
Look at the space in between eyebrows
>>
>>27887917
It easy as long they don't have pretty eyes
>>
>>27890394
I know this feel. I can keep eye contact with males, but it's unpleasant as fuck. Making eye contact with my mother blows as well.
>>
>>27890870
>tfw unibrows
>>
>>27887945
I don't think even hardcore chads know the answer to that desu
>>
File: 1448826993882.jpg (16 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1448826993882.jpg
16 KB, 200x200
>tfw talking to qt while making eye contact
>>
My tip is too look at their forehead. They'll think you're looking at them in the eyes, and you won't feel nervous.
>>
>>27890988
They know you're not looking at their eyes.
>>
>>27891020
If you look as high up their forehead as possible, they will.
>>
Who else here has a face so dramatically ugly that people are so fascinated by its fuckedupedness that they never manage to make their way to looking me in the eyes.
Usually they start frowning when they see my teeth but eventually it is like they are seeing an alien for the first time. They become sort of hypnotized by complete freakishness.
>>
>>27891090
You could be looking at their eyebrows and it'd still be easy to tell.
Sorry bro.
>>
>>27891121
Yeah, no. It's a trick I was taught to intimidate employees, and it works. Give it a try.
>>
>>27891090
they will always notice. you've been fucking up lol
>>
>>27887917
It's completely pointless, and just normie entitlement, so you naturally don't want to do it. Understandable.

All they use it for is to jump to conclusions about you anyway. "He didn't look me in the eye, he must want to fuck my dog", etc.
>>
>>27890170
>*natural* eye contact

Autistic faggots like you don't know that people can tell when you're lying because 99.9% of people act different/weird when they lie, and eye contact is no exception to that.
>>
>>27891170
lol okay, anon, okay
>>
>>27887917
Look at the bridge of their nose
FUCKIN EZ
>>
>>27891155
I guess it depends on the distance. You'll be closer when talking to a girl you wanna bang than to an employee. When you're close to someone's face, you can tell when they're not staring straight into your eyes and you can tell they can tell the same when you do.
>>
>>27891204
I'm serious. If you've been looking at people's foreheads instead of their eyes they can absolutely tell.
>>
>>27891268
Even if you're looking at the bridge of my nose right between my eyes I can tell.
>>
File: 1456978169694.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1456978169694.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
>>27891121
Wow, I wish I could lock eyes with somebody and produce value. In fact, I wish anyone could, and you weren't all so full of shit about this eye contact meme.
>>
>>27891525
Eye contact is not a meme, though. When you get good at it you'll realize how much it changes the way people treat you when you stare deep into their eyes.
>>
>>27888902
i kind of feel the same, it makes the whole conversation very isolating like there is nothing else in the world than this faggots face
>>
>>27887917
Goddamn son I know your pain. Its gotten better for me over the years however it is still hard too maintain eye contact fully through the conversation. I often look blank because if it doesn't interest me I usually cut eye contact. Anymore in today's day and age nothing really amuses me.
>>
>>27887974
It's more the other way around. Normies staring into your empty eyes and seeing/feeling the void and indifference in them.
>>
File: 1419904089080.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1419904089080.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
>talk to someone while making eye contact
>they look all around

I-Is it because I'm ugly or they're autistic?
>>
>>27888096
i kept looking at her tits why is this so hard
>>
File: 1455966205055.jpg (86 KB, 908x601) Image search: [Google]
1455966205055.jpg
86 KB, 908x601
Look at them when greeting, addressing or telling a story while telling facts etc. its acceptable to look away but make hand gestures so they look away from your face. Smiling and using hyperbole would probably help you.Don't look down when talking to someone unless you want the conversation to end very quickly. In summary imagine the person you are talking to as a kitten you can ignore it but remember to keep a constant level of attention at all times.
>>
>>27887991
Holy shit I just imagined that

Holy shit

Like imagine standing 2 foot away from someone 1.5 feet taller than you

Literally looking up at a 40 degree angle maintaining eye contact
>>
get a friend or whatever to help you practice
and you don't have to look at them the entire time, as long as you're focused on the conversation it's OK
>>
>>27888503
>>27888037
These hit too far home
>>
>try to make eye contact
>the other person isn't giving you direct eye contact
>they're just sort of staring at some random part of your face
>feel self-conscious, wonder if there's something on your face
>don't know where to look now
>end up doing some weird cross-eyed thing
>>
>talking to English teacher
>the room is crowded so I'm pressed up against a desk
>She's 2 feet in front of me
>Starts talking to me
>I mumble and stare at her collar bone the entire time
>She seemed genuinely confused as to why I wasn't making eye contact

It feels like a great deal of pressure is around my head when I do. I can only make eye contact with some members of my family
>>
I can do it to people that are only talking to me for a few seconds like a waitress at a restaurant or the guy behind the deli counter cutting my cold cuts because those conversations aren't personal at all. But once I start talking to someone for more than a greeting, my eyes wander and look at their ears or nose or chin or the ground next to them but most of the time my head is turned like 45 degrees away from them and I'm starting at the ground as I say what I'm saying.
>>
It's hard for me cause my creepy dead eye thousand yard stare.
They can see my soul
>>
>>27891578
People treating others differently based on a variant that nobody has been able to attribute any value to isn't a good thing. I'll agree that it is just the way it is, but you've given no reason as to why people prioritize it so highly.
>>
I always feel like the loser if I look away first but if I dont look away its like I'm staring at them too long, like it feels too intimate
>>
>>27893862
The hell should I know. It works and it works and it's undeniable. There's probably a reason behind it but why should anyone care?
If you're not doing it, you should feel bad about it and start doing it, unless you're comfortable with being a robot.
>>
>>27890394
Same thing. I was really suprised how easy it was for me to look my oneitis in the eyes compared to regular people, especially females I'm not sexually interested in.
>>
File: So-Thats-What-That-Feels-Like.gif (585 KB, 500x220) Image search: [Google]
So-Thats-What-That-Feels-Like.gif
585 KB, 500x220
>>27887917
>have semi-autism
>go to local autism meetup
>work up nerve to look at the person I'm talking to
>they weren't looking at me anyway
>>
I think I have the opposite problem. I used to not do it when I was younger but now I have no trouble looking into peoples' eyes. The problem is though I don't let up on it and eventually I see them looking away now and then and I wonder if they think I'm being creepy by never breaking eye contact.
>>
File: 1455069163232.jpg (115 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455069163232.jpg
115 KB, 1280x720
>>27894480
Ah, I see, didn't know I was dealing with somebody fluent in Hebrew.
>>
straight from your whore mom's asshole
>>
>>27891932
probably both

>originous comentous
>>
>>27887917
Funny enough. People get uncomfortable when I look at them in the eyes while talking.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.