[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with depression? Force your self to do work,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 14
File: 12456567899.jpg (82 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
12456567899.jpg
82 KB, 500x484
How do you deal with depression?
Force your self to do work, go outside, talk to people or do what ever?

I'm actually glad I don't live in the states, other wise I would have bought a gun in Walmart and just shoot myself.
>>
File: sisyphus-bildreihe_1.jpg (89 KB, 940x500) Image search: [Google]
sisyphus-bildreihe_1.jpg
89 KB, 940x500
>>27885077
I read a lot of Camus. Also smoke a lot of weed and drink pretty frequently.
>>
>>27885129
I'm actually thinking of picking up a bottle of whiskey and drink myself to sleep, it's only 6pm but fuck it
>>
>>27885129
Also this book helped a lot.
>>
>>27885077
Whenever I am sad, I find some random person to co-op a game with. Years of gaming have built up a decent quantity of people to game with, and that always helps. Some kind of interaction from the comfort of my chair.
>>
Nothing but dark souls 3
>>
>>27885077
Weight lifting and martial arts.

It's difficult to find motivation to get started when your depressed but it's anatomically impossible to be depressed after a new deadlift personal best.

I don't even want to look muscular or get big I just cant stop or i'll be a flacid whining mess.
>>
File: 1460713098549.gif (1 MB, 250x140) Image search: [Google]
1460713098549.gif
1 MB, 250x140
>>27885303
EVERY DAY IS LEG DAY!!!!!
>>
>>27885336
Funny you should say that. That is exactly how I train
>>
>>27885077
I lift heavy. Strictly compounds. Really helps me feel better on a shitty day.

>>27885181
Are you serious in your post? That actually looks like a really interesting read. Would you recommend it?
>>
>>27885077
Exercise has been found to be as effective for depression as antidepressants. So do 30 minutes of cards 3 times a walk.

Eat a healthier diet, plan based.

Get lots of sleep. Have positive social relations. Do things you enjoy. And go see a therapist.
>>
>>27886799
Cardio*

Orignal)ldnd
>>
>>27886799
plan based diet? ;)
>>
>>27886845
Sorry, plant based.

High in vegetables, legumes, nuts, whole grains, fish, poultry, oatmeal, fruits, etc. Avoid processed bullshit like cheetos, avoid fast food, cut out extra sugar like soda.
>>
File: art (3).gif (421 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
art (3).gif
421 KB, 700x525
>drinking vodka right now
sorry I have no tips for you, I am a failure and can't control myself
>>
>>27885303
How the fuck do some people get out joy from sweating and exercising?
>>
>>27886994
I think these sorts of gifs are the future of art. How can we hang them in a gallery?
>>
>>27887000
Because when you do it right and get good at it, it feels reallyyyyy good.

It lowers stress, releases endorphins, increase self esteem, and reduces illness.

Best shit around, better than drugs.
>>
File: art2.gif (993 KB, 924x507) Image search: [Google]
art2.gif
993 KB, 924x507
>>27887110
>tfw can't do shit, used to work out, was really nice feeling but today I can't motivate myself anymore
>>
>>27887110
Retarded broscience. You guys are not better than those nofappers.
>>
>>27885077
I drink. But I get depression on and off, and for the last month now I've felt really self-confident and outgoing, not depressed at all even though my life hasn't improved in any way.
>>
>>27886963
Only fish I can stand to eat are anchovies on pizza, tuna salad, clam chowder, or a fish sandwich smothered in tartar sauce. Sushi too I guess.
Anything else leaves the worst taste in my mouth. Slimy, stinky, rubbery meat is what it is. Am I a failed human being?
>>
>>27887237
I feel ya anon. It's tough to get into it, but do not give up. Do a little each week, add some more next week, and slowly get back into it. Even a 20 minute walk is a good start.

I believe in you.

>>27887319
Gr8 b8 m8
>>
File: 1410082939635.jpg (27 KB, 416x316) Image search: [Google]
1410082939635.jpg
27 KB, 416x316
I've been reading this book, Feeling Good, this morning. I wasn't expecting to get much out of it, but like all the behavior it described was me down to a T. The therapy methods it gave for resolving these issues all seem pretty easy and reasonable. Its main idea is that emotions don't cause thoughts, although they can amplify them; your thoughts are what causes your emotions. That becomes a problem when you're depressed, because depression causes you to think in fallacies and self-defeating thought loops. The solution the book gives is usually something on the lines of writing down these thoughts and then giving them a more logical, reasonable response.

I don't know, I can't completely vouch for it, since according to the book it'll take a few weeks for me to start seeing a change in my thought patterns. But might be worth a shot.
>>
>>27887357
No, but if that's the stuff you usually eat, you are fucking yourself up.

Don't eat the fish, but so eating this shit man. Eat that stuff in moderation. Slowly introduce new healthy food into your diet and remove this crap.

Each week replace one unhealthy food wth a healthy one. Keep doing that until you have a solid base of healthy diet.

For example, if your breakfast is McDonald's, switch to a bowl of oatmeal with some fruit, no added sugar, can make with milk, and a cup of tea.

Instead of clam chowder, make a turkey sandwich with avocado tomato, soianch on whole grain bread.

Instead of pizza do whole grains like quinoa with vegetables.
>>
>>27887447
>depression causes you to think in fallacies

Baseless bullshit. I've yet to read a depressed person who commits a fallacy.
>>
>>27887447
Sounds like cognitive behavioral therapy. Stuff is legit, but it requires serious adherence and a desire to carry it through. That's why having a therapist is good because they help guide you in the process, track progress, motivate you back onto the right path and see what you don't see.
>>
>>27887110
>better than drugs

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you haven't ever done heroin
>>
>>27887528
I was on dilaudid for a week, even better than heroin.

Exercise is still vetter. After liting and running, coming home, showering and sitting on the coach is phenomenal. And still feel great the next day.

With opiates, you can't even function the same, and had serious negative consequences, whereas exercise makes you healthier. But yea, it does feel good, but it aing anything like exercise done right. It's only some of the benefits of exercise, and with many bad effects.
>>
>>27887503
>Stuff is legit, but it requires serious adherence and a desire to carry it through.

This means it is not legit. 'It works you just need to make it work' means it doesn't work.

>see what you don't see

No therapist has ever said anything of substance. 'lol dude how can you know for sure' and 'it's just a thought that's in your head bro' != insight, it's just cheap crap.
>>
>>27887647
>>27887503
>inb4 you call me a coward who escapes responsibility for his life blah blah blah yawn

I'm not depressed or mentally ill. I don't have autism or any disorders. I'm well-adjusted. And I can still tell that therapy is a cheap scam.
>>
File: 1450912413519.png (80 KB, 500x421) Image search: [Google]
1450912413519.png
80 KB, 500x421
>>27887603
cant even motivate to take a shower t b h
>>
File: 1452788068007.jpg (114 KB, 852x937) Image search: [Google]
1452788068007.jpg
114 KB, 852x937
>>27887703
>I'm not depressed or mentally ill. I don't have autism or any disorders. I'm well-adjusted. And I can still tell that therapy is a cheap scam.
than you never was at this therapie but you van tell its shit?
>>
>>27887647
>thing works only if taken seriously
>Lol doesn't work not legit

>therapists are dumb lol
>I am rational and well informed lol

Wew lad, calm down.

>>27887703
What do you think therapy is?

>>27887706
Sorry to hear that anon. Sounds like you're having a tough time with life. Me too, tbqh. But it can get better, that I can promise you. It's hard to get back into it, and if you can go and make an appointment with a counselor or therapist.

Make small goals, write them down (specific, like take a shower Tuesday at 7pm). And really try.
I don't know your specifics, but whatever the reason (abuse, neglect, depression) for your symptoms, peoppe can help, and you can get better.

Life has ups and downs.
>>
>>27887759
Correct. Humans have this queer ability, you know, to analyze, reason about, and evaluate things they've never done. Don't you have it?
>>
>>27887791
>>thing works only if taken seriously
>>Lol doesn't work not legit

Exactly. Insisting that it does work is in a cowardly, repulsive manner claiming credit for the work done by the patient. If therapy works insofar as the patient is willing to change, then inthatfar it is obviously the patient who works, not the therapy. So it is him and him alone who should get the credit, not the scummy therapist asking his pseudoprofound prompts of 'try asking yourself what exactly you base this notion on'.
>>
>>27887844
Many times it is the therapist that can give them the tools, teach hem how to use them, as well as help the person learn more about themselves.

They are in a mutual process, they both are working together in a relationship. It's not about who gets credit, it's just about getting better. That's the role of the therapist, to build a helping relationship where the person feels comfortable enough to grow and develop into a better person. To confront what they cannot alone.

Some people can do it alone, but many cannot.
>>
File: 1459996833636.png (501 KB, 1102x967) Image search: [Google]
1459996833636.png
501 KB, 1102x967
>>27887791
thank you anon, my life got dramatically worse last weeks.

>muh therapist are scam
I don't know where you life but I don't have to pay any shekel for my therapist.
>>
>>27887948
>It's not about who gets credit

...What? Do you spout unrelated cliches as they chaotically come to your mind? Or do you consciously try to present me as a small-spirited person somehow? What gave you reason to inply that I don't care about people getting better? A therapy is not a partnership precisely because therapists fraudulently, if by necessity implicitly, pose themselves as experienced tutors of their patients. It is not I who am misguided in my attempts to locate credit accurately. It is therapists who try to present their easy, simplistic, worthless shit of 'you should realize that this thought is illogical and irrational because I say so' as 'tools'. It is not 'tools' or 'helping the person'. It is the interpersonal equivalent of writing a fraudulent download site that promises hand-selected downloads while its Google results are in fact automated and harvested from other sources indiscriminately. An impersonal scam.

I've been witnessing this area of society -- psychology, psychotherapy, and so on -- for a couple of years and it invariably turns out to be morally fragile.
>>
>>27888066
You're most welcome. I'm glad to hear that you can get help for free. Are you in the UK?

Long life and peace.
>>
>>27888101
>>27887948
In short, no, the therapist doesn't make 'all the work' and doesn't make 'half the work' either. He just thrives financially on the myth of the babble of 'you must realize that your self-doubt is a negative loop pattern...' being help.
>>
File: feels (24).png (720 KB, 716x692) Image search: [Google]
feels (24).png
720 KB, 716x692
>>27888117
germany, health insurance pays this.
therapist arent scammer here.
>>
>>27888101
I'm sorry you feel this way. All I can day is that you are painting with MASSIVE strokes here. There are various psychological schools of thought, and within these schools many different individual therapists and their approaches.

Maybe you had a bad experience, but the majority of people benefit. For many it is life changing. Research supports its efficacy, and the actual outcomes are significant and profoundly helpful.

It wont always work. Not everyone is an expert on every shade of problem, and some can make mistakes, and not all patients adhere to it, and not all of them can trust there patients.

Like medicine and education, it is an art and a science. There is a lit of room for error, but when done correctly is both beautiful and incredible.
>>
>>27888159
(As if 'negative' and 'positive' were valid descriptors of a thought in the first place, by the way... but this is merely minor an issue with the shit therapists spout.)
>>
>>27888159
You're igneant about what psychology is. Take some courses on the subject.

>>27888210
Lucky bastard. The Germans are doing a lot of things right with their society these days.

What was school there like?
>>
>>27888247
till 10th grade good, than I lost myself, went to immigration school where I will drop out.
>my school was 90% non-german but NO brawl in the 2,5 years I was there
>>
>>27888213
>I'm sorry you feel this way.

Don't lie. Do as little.

>you are painting with MASSIVE strokes here

Don't sow surreptitious distrust in my words in lieu of specific counterarguments using implicit hyperboles like that.

>There are various psychological schools of thought, and within these schools many different individual therapists and their approaches.

Irrelevant. They all attract the bullshitting personality that you too have.

>when done correctly is both beautiful and incredible

'When something is good, it is good.' Do patients emerge from therapy more tolerant of tautologies? Is this an example of the 'benefits' you claim studies have found?

A true help would give factual, physical advice on how to solve hard, physical problems. Wife cheats? Show how to gather evidence. Son drops out? Show how to convince him using data on relationship of education and life quality. Dog dies? Show best animal cementeries, discuss breeds to get now, and so on. Want to feel good? Go through a catalogue of distractions, from media to literature to occupations to education to... Penis short? Discuss surgery. But this is HARD, this takes KNOWLEDGE and COMPETENCE and MERCILESSNESS and MODESTY of sometimes having to admit that while the answers, the solutions, exist, I don't know them. And this is a hard pill to swallow. So the scummy therapist doesn't want to say that, and instead spouts his degenerate crap about 'desires being in the mind' and 'controlling one's thoughts', distracting a person from directly pursuing their goals.

Cowardly scum.
>>
>>27888247
>You're igneant about what psychology is. Take some courses on the subject.

Need badly to sustain the myth of the not-infallible-but-still-infallibler-than-thou therapist, huh?
>>
>>27888366
Good day to you as well anon. I'd recommending On Becoming a Person by Carl Rogers.

>>27888420
Why do layman insist on knowing things they don't?

>>27888331
Hang in there buddy. Finish school, get help, and you got a whole life of possibility before you.
>>
>>27888731
>On Becoming a Person

It's odd... I would feel a direct reluctance to suggest for reading a book whose very title literally dehumanizes the reader, 'oy you, you're not a person until you do as I say in this book, so (buy it) and get to reading'.

I have always had this natural sense of disagreement to dishonest tactics. Which I'm now, to my surprise, in my 20s seeing over and over again in people interested in psychology et al.
>>
>>27888785
Close-minded to boot.

Good luck kid, you're gonna need it.
>>
File: 1456310910244.jpg (70 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1456310910244.jpg
70 KB, 400x388
>>27888731
i have a graduation already so its not so bad, just wasted time. but school is over for me. trying to get education right up, but it is not so easy especially with my social anxiety
>>
File: 1440915847615.jpg (72 KB, 705x762) Image search: [Google]
1440915847615.jpg
72 KB, 705x762
>depressed for years
>can't go to a shrink because it's weird
>>
>>27888818
>Close-minded

I would like to see a study relating being called 'close-minded' and 'open-minded' as an adult to having been bullied/a bully in childhood. I think the relationship between the former pair would be smaller than between the latter.
>>
File: wakemeup.jpg (38 KB, 458x440) Image search: [Google]
wakemeup.jpg
38 KB, 458x440
>>27885077
fake it till you make it familia
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.