[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /BornToSmartParentsButIncrediblyStu pid/ here? >Be me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9
File: dunce.jpg (59 KB, 600x804) Image search: [Google]
dunce.jpg
59 KB, 600x804
Who /BornToSmartParentsButIncrediblyStupid/ here?

>Be me

>Mother had IQ of 140

>Learned to read at 3 years old.

>Attended Brown University and was hand selected by a famous musician to study under because of her incredible musical talent.

>Is in the upper management of one of the world's top universities.

>Father is a super-gifted mathematician and artist

>Was one of the first scientists to pioneer artificial womb/test tube baby technology.

>Despite this, I was diagnosed with a whole host of learning disabilities upon entering first grade.

>Learned to read and write only until the fourth grade.

>Suck at any type of math past basic algebra/geometry.

>Did everything much slower than almost all of my peers in school. Twice as much time to do tests/homework than other kids.

>Slower to learn social customs than everyone else.

>Slow witted and clumsy.

>Unable to complete college because of this.

>Only recently figured out that having a learning disability is just a polite way of telling someone their child is a total dunce.

Losing the genetic lottery sucks.
>>
Oh yeah, I'm a dumbass. Father was a straight A student.
>>
>>27880641
How does this happen? Did we just have bad luck with sperm/egg genetic quality?
>>
>>27880612
>Despite this, I was diagnosed with a whole host of learning disabilities upon entering first grade.

Was one of those autism>?
>>
File: maj00.jpg (94 KB, 350x600) Image search: [Google]
maj00.jpg
94 KB, 350x600
>>27880654
Just because I'm dumb doesn't mean I can't have fun.
>>
I'm the opposite. 135 iq in a poor family of average iqs. I might as well have been raised by apes. that's what it felt like.
>>
Yup.

Dad has a PHD from Harvard and was at the top of his industry (he's 70 and mostly retired now), and my mom was a Senior VP at a huge corporation.

I tested with a pretty high IQ, but also have a learning disability, and I'm absolutely hopeless at math.
>>
>>27880692
Nope, ADHD, Non-verbal learning disability, Dyslexia, depression.
>>
>>27880698
I had a friend like that up until recently.

He killed himself last week.
>>
>>27880770
I tried once, but the tree branch snapped, and I woke up on the ground in the middle of the night, full moon. It was strange. Threw away the rope, went home.
>>
At 12 I got loads of I.Q tests and my average was 121 but I honestly feel like Ivr below average intelligence. I'm astute and have a good vocabulary and know a bunch of random bare bones facts from Wikipedia and day time game shows but give me a riddle, I'll never get it
>>
>TFW dumb
>TFW I'll never over think and realize how insignificant life is and be too smart to get on with most people
>I'll never become a stoner or drunk because everything sober has no wonder
Feels good
>>
My dad is a lawyer and my mom is a neurosurgeon.

I barely made it out of highschool.
>>
>>27880739
>ADHD
>depression

Get over yourself
>>
>>27880612
and then you have an incredibly smart, talented, creative, artistic, athletic, etc. younger brother who outperforms your parents in all fields

>>27880654
or perhaps the stats got so high they rolled over
>>
>>27880612
Not me.
My mother is a retard and I'm a hyper autist. But I choose not to do anything with my intelligence for now.
Don't worry about it OP. You just have a different way of thinking and knowing math and shit isn't necessarily some godsend ability. I'm sure you find a way to see things your parents can't. Just focus on that.
>>
>>27880612
Dad was so smart he finished highschool at 15 because he was moved 3 years fowards
Then he got into college to study medicine at 16 but got bored after a year and fucked around smoking weed and partying for two and finally got into law were he tried to get his degree faster but wasn't allowed to take some classes until he passed other classes meaning that he had to stay the regular time no matter what he chose
After that he moved to a big city on his own (dad was raised in a small town with just a few hundred people) and managed to build a career
My grandma and grandpa were both doctors that worked with one of the most famous doctors of the world who invented the bh pass, grandpa got fucked over b his father tho since he wanted to move to a rich country and his father told him that if he did he was getting disowned so he had to stay in the same miserable town and be a sad rural town doctor.
Me? I'm 23 and a highschool drop out
>>
>>27880739
Non-verbal learning disability is actually similar to (but not the same thing as) mild autism.
>>
>>27881049
>Dad was so smart he finished highschool at 15 because he was moved 3 years fowards

>tfw graduated at 16, got accepted to college, went for a semester and then dropped out, and now I'm a 30 year old NEET
>>
>>27881061
Huh, I'd never even heard of that one. Is it what they're calling Aspergers now? It sounds pretty similar based on a quick google.

I have a learning disability, but it's a neurological motor skills one, dysgraphia, basically when I try to write words by hand the letters come out all scrambled.
>>
>>27880809
Damn, how do you feel about this event? Pretty interesting bro, tell us more
>>
>>27880976
>tfw very intelligent
>overthink all the time and have panic attacks because life meaningless.
>go to therapy
>when i get high or drunk i get schizophrenic attacks
>hallucinations and voices
>im stuck in reality
>>
>>27881102
>tfw lost visual imagination recently
I want it back ;_;
>>
>>27881082
we had a kid like that in school. he somehow managed to convince the school managemeng to allow him to use a laptop instead of writing like everyone else. he was a hyper autist and i was kinda afraid he would pull a eric harris/dylan klebold.
>>
File: 1429703218075.png (155 KB, 1566x1805) Image search: [Google]
1429703218075.png
155 KB, 1566x1805
>>27881102
do samatha meditation...
>>
>>27881035
>and then you have an incredibly smart, talented, creative, artistic, athletic, etc. younger brother who outperforms your parents in all fields

Jesus fucking christ anon, that's brutal. I would totally poison his food when no one was looking if I were in your situation. I feel you man. Luckily my little sibling is just as retarded and incompetent as myself.

>or perhaps the stats got so high they rolled
over

That gave me a chuckle.
>>
>>27881061
>>27881082
OP here,

A Non-verbal learning disability basically means that your corpus callosum is undersized or damaged, and as such, the two hemispheres of your brain have a hard time communicating with each other. This makes doing many school and work related activities much, much harder and means you take much longer to do them.

It's suffering in it's purist form, as you can be very intelligent but be unable to express yourself effectively. So in a sense it is very much like autism.
>>
>>27880612
Sounds like me, I fucking hate smart people with a passion.
>>
>>27881086
Thinking about doing it again.

Then I have my morning coffee and get back on track.
>>
>>27881723
Don't be a pussy anon. Do it.
>>
>>27880612
How old was your mother when she gave birth to you? Because I'm the last of four children and I'm also the dumbest
>>
>>27880726
> IQ of 135
>still here

You smart but lazy
>>
>>27881743
What, just to start all over? Fuck being a kid, I'm having more fun now as an adult.
>>
You spell well for someone who's basically retarded.

So, there's that, I guess...

Congratulations?
>>
>>27881826
It's the only thing I'm good at.
>>
>be smart in middle school
>get dumber and dumber as time progresses
>>
>>27882215
>middle school
>challenging materiel
You weren't smart.
I found college material easy when i was in middle school
>>
>>27882440
Fuck off smart ass.

You don't belong here.
>>
>>27882440
>I found college material easy when i was in middle school

Then why are you here? Go cure cancer instead of showing off to the rejects of society.
>>
File: 1437270394084.jpg (35 KB, 385x500) Image search: [Google]
1437270394084.jpg
35 KB, 385x500
>total fucking idiot
>mother and grandmother are even dumber
>they think I'm smart

it hurts so much
>>
>>27882440
How easy was the insertion of your head up your ass?
>>
>>27881125
Are you the schizophrenic anon?

I've done this before. You sound like you've mind fucked yourself into believing something that isn't true. You still have your visual imagination. There is no reason why that ability would just suddenly vanish. Sounds like an anxiety issue.

I went through the same thing with the visual imagination and I found it again. You can find it anon. The best way is for you to read descriptions and things that cause it to work and picture things automatically. This gets around you "trying" to make it work and failing.

You are now in jungle. You look all around you and you see vines dangling everywhere. You can see claw marks from a tiger on some trees. You are now on the moon. You are now looking at the red spot of jupiter. You're now on a bus riding on a road of glass over a waterfall. Lean over out the window and look down. Is that a purple waterfall? Yes. Yes it is.

Try to think of what something looks like that you already know of. Like water. And when you can see the water start flowing on its own that is when your imagination is beginning to pick up. Introduce very small easy things into the picture. Like a few blades of grass near the water. And slowly keep adding more things as the picture becomes more alive.

If all this fails then try to use it right when you wake up.
I'll admit I never learned to hold a strong visual picture in place to observe it and have it solve problems or any crazy stuff like that. I can only bring visual scenes in my mind to life and zooming in on those details or keeping the image from fading away is something i'm still learning.
>>
>>27882440
That is astonishing anon.
I know it's wrong of me to throw this expectation on you but why haven't you used your staggering intellect to try and solve some of our major world problems? You sound like you have an incredible amount of potential. And i'm sure if you tried you could manage to convince yourself that you would want to devote yourself to something like that.
>>
>>27880612

Think of it this way though, even if YOU don't possess the same high intelligence as your parents, you still carry the genes for incredibly high intelligence.

So if you ever have kids, there's a chance that they will still be hyper intelligent.

It could be something the skips every other generation. So your kids will be smart, your grandchildren average, your great-grandchildren smart, etc.

Do you know anything about your grandparents and their IQ?
>>
>>27880612

>great grandfather had an IQ of 160
>grandfather had an IQ of 140
>never knew my father so I can't comment on him
>I have an IQ of 120

It seems like there's a trend in my family for each successive generation to drop 10 points in IQ.

I fear that at some point further down the genetic line, we're going to turn into incomprehensibly retarded people
>>
>>27882440
>smart
>fucks up trying to spell "material
Try again, champ
>>
>>27882967
I can still get the impression of visual feedback. I just don't consciously see it. It's like how when you observe the world you can identify things. Like how water bends light when in a bottle. You see the way the water almost seems like it's not a completely transparent fluid. You recognize that it's there. Or how you can look at a pavement and see that it's wet. You can really feel the wetness of the pavement.

But I don't see it. At best if I try and go back and picture the jungle you described I can get a very very small glimpse of what I'd identify as the tell-tale signs of a jungle for instance.

>I'll admit I never learned to hold a strong visual picture in place to observe it and have it solve problems or any crazy stuff like that.
I still solve geometric problems by turning objects in my head. But as described I get the impressions of the items, not the visual image. So I'd understand the orientation of the item, how to unfold it and what shape it will make, maybe how it's color coded. But those are the shapes and concepts of color. It's not the visual image I'd see as if it were a real thing. It used to be like that. I've thought a lot about it and found that when focusing on thinking really hard with my eyes closed i get the sensation for a very short while.

>Are you the schizophrenic anon?
I've had that concern. I have auditory hallucinations fairly often. It's not internal voices. It's just that very often when i hear sounds I interpret it as fighting. Like yelling, either male or female. Usually depending on pitch. It happens pretty much whenever I can't identify the source of the sound. Like for instance, my laptop has fans. I'm very familiar with that sound. But if I take a shower the variation in noise is too big and there's echo's in the bathroom. It's practically impossible to know where all the induvidual sources of the sound is coming from. So that's a lot of uncomfortable noise. I fill my ears with water and close them.
>>
>>27883108
Also it wasn't a sudden change. I've gotten worse at it. But It did catch me by surprise because it's easy to forget what you haven't seen in a while. One of those moments where I was thinking with my eyes closed it became obvious to me I used to have that but don't anymore.
>>
>>27883060
This is just a guess but take a look at the health habits of your family members. Eating unhealthy for instance can have a very negative impact on the brain. As more plaque gets into the arteries from fast food it makes it harder for your blood to nourish your brain and it begins degrading from this. There are other numerous consequences on the brain from eating unhealthy outside of this.

Eating unhealthy has become very socially acceptable and standard and unchallenged so its easy to fall prey to doing this.
>>
>>27883060
>each successive generation to drop 10 points in iq
>160->140->X->120
Ok. I hope that doesn't constitute 120 nowdays.
>>
>>27883108
Do you have a default mental space? I found that when I was feeling like my grasp on reality was slipping, I often had no way of returning to this space. What is the visual quality of your memories like? Do you remember your dreams?
>>
>>27883060
We all regress the the average IQ in time.

>>27883018
My grandparents never took an IQ test. They were Northern Italian immigrants who arrived in the US in the mid 1920's in New York.

They got hit by the great depression pretty bad and were very poor for the early period of their lives. But later on, after World War 2, they got decent careers and retired at the age of 50 and 60 respectively in a mini-mansion in a very rich part of New England. My Grandmother was a nurse and my grandfather was a Banker. They never went to college but they seem to be very educated, especially my grandfather. My mother and her siblings are definitely more intelligent than them, however. The Italian side of the family is almost all artistically or musically gifted.

On my father's side it's a bunch of middle class Irish folks who can trace back their arrival in the US to the potato famine. My father was the smartest of his generation and was shunned/misunderstood by has family because of it.

I think my stupidity/mediocrity comes from his side of the family, because he was a genetic fluke.

I wonder if a mixing of different races (Celtic and Mediterranean) can cause stupidity. It makes sense since both groups of people adapted to different climates and social pressures.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>27883060
We wuz kingz n shit

Original
>>
>TFW really smart in some ways but retarded as fuck in others.

>Could read any book you put in front of me by age 13

>Never got past algebra, even when I tried and failed at community college.

>Now 26 yo self employed(which is nice) but going nowhere in life.

I'm not a robot
>>
>>27883209
>Do you remember your dreams?
Only abstractly. Like I can recall the events and all the details, but they're not visual recollection. I'm not sure what it's like when I'm dreaming. Can't remember.
>Do you have a default mental space?
Not entirely sure what you mean. My consciousness is perceptively located in my head. My mental visual field is slightly bigger than what my eyes can see. (so when I close my eyes or try to I see more than 180 degrees and more up and down too)
>I found that when I was feeling like my grasp on reality was slipping, I often had no way of returning to this space.
I've had what I now identify as DID for several years with only one or two breaks. (returns to "this space" as you put it. too /x/ for me)
Worth noting I don't do drugs or even drink alcohol. Apparently that's the common reason you get DID.
>>27883211
>We all regress the the average IQ in time.
Bullshit. Doesn't work like that at all.
>>
>>27883303
Please don't tell this guy robots..
>>
File: 1454378463953.jpg (17 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1454378463953.jpg
17 KB, 225x225
>mfw mensa level intelligence even though my father is an idiot who never even went to high school
>>
>>27881082
I was diagnosed with with it back in the 90s so it's been around awhile. From what I understand the difference between nvld and aspergers is that non verbal kids simply lack the ability to read body language and understand metaphors. They don't obsess over esoteric Shit as often or intensely as the passengers kids do.
>>
>>27883108
>I have auditory hallucinations fairly often
If thats true, i'm not schizophrenic but I am schizotypal and by comparison your auditory hallucinations totally outclass what i'm dealing with. I have had auditory hallucinations but they were very rare and only when I was younger. In the rare case they happened it was only after I woke up from having a nightmare.

My two cents. You definitely have something worth being checked out for. The best thing you can do right now is google your local psychiatrist/psychologist and make a phonecall and set up an appointment with them and get checked out. Only takes a few minutes and it will probably change your life for the better very dramatically.

If you end up having something, the trial and error phase where they try to find the right medication and dose requires patience. There will probably be a medication they use that doesn't agree with you. If the medication is making you uncomfortable or having any serious side effects just let them know and you should eventually find a medication that doesn't bother you and only helps you feel better. Stick with it until they find something that works. There is a genetic test that can be done to figure out which medication would agree with you more. Inquire about that. I forgot what its called.

I'll get to the imagination part in my next post
>>
>people dare take real IQ tests
I'd be worried sick. And I don't think I'd be satisfied with most scores either.
>>
>>27883368
There are studies showing that your brain is better right after doing some exercise. This increases the chances you'll be able to use your imagination. Try a light jog around your neighborhood. Or just try running in place near your computer or a few jumping jacks for a few minutes to get the blood flowing.

I have noticed that my imagination always gets much stronger after I practice a lucid dream. If you haven't tried lucid dreaming yet that could boost your imagination. The only problem is that lucid dreaming can mess with your sleep schedule and missing out on restorative sleep is very detrimental to the brain.

I've decided against trying to explain the imagination stuff because I still struggle to control it myself. I only know enough to possibly mislead you instead of help you. I have seen that there are books on using the imagination after some googling. Maybe you could find some answers there?
>>
>>27880612

IQ only determines how fast you can acquire and develop new skills and knowledge, it doesn't necessarily mean you're doomed to a life of mundane shittery.

Hard work always trumps genius, when genius doesn't work hard.

Can't tell you how many brilliant people I know who are squandering their potential because of laziness.
>>
File: 1460340235227.png (1 MB, 1021x963) Image search: [Google]
1460340235227.png
1 MB, 1021x963
>learning to read at 3 years old os special
Maybe I was more gifted than I thought.
Oh well, still a failure.
>>
>>27880612

Thank your vaccine schedule.
>>
At least your parents are rich so you don't have to do anything

Try being dumb and poor
>>
>>27880726
>I might as well have been raised by apes. that's what it felt like.
Oh god, this
>>
>Learned to read and write only until the fourth grade
You might be a literal retard
>>
>>27880612
Geniuses are rare. It is actually true that average people are more likely to create a genius than two actual geniuses.

This is because IQ seems to be only heritable to a certain point. Those genetic freaks are rare no matter what.
>>
Richard Feynman said something along the lines of this.

Essentially women wanted him to be their spem doner or whatever and he said my kids are idiots you're looking for my father.

He did a really good interview of fathering its on youtube i think.
>>
Yup. Both of my parents have their masters in Electrical Engineering and I couldn't even get past calculus.
>>
>>27880612
As someone who used to read a lot about intelligence/IQ/g I can tell this is bullshit. Unless OP suffered some congenital damage, there is no way the regression would be as big as of 3 SD (140/145 -> sub-105 which is the HS average). At worst a child of the parents OP described would be 110 or so.
>>
They should have had more kids and not have waited until she was 40. My mom was 40, I expect a grabbag of health issues in the future. my intelligence is at least normal
>>
File: 1450469841237.gif (101 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1450469841237.gif
101 KB, 500x364
Sounds like your nerd of a dad is a cuckold for Chad's retard children
>>
>>27886092
I like that guy, what's his youtube channel?
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.