[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone get serious nostalgia for 2000-2010 internet? What is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10
File: !!!.jpg (71 KB, 684x513) Image search: [Google]
!!!.jpg
71 KB, 684x513
Anyone get serious nostalgia for 2000-2010 internet?

What is this shit we are in right now, everyone's a fucking normie

even the people here are normies

HELL, I AM A NORMIE
>>
File: DogTalker.jpg (111 KB, 310x382) Image search: [Google]
DogTalker.jpg
111 KB, 310x382
No the past was shit, and nostalgia is a filter preventing you from confronting reality.
>>
>>27873085
A little.

Really I don't mind how things are. Each day, regardless of whether it's good or bad, holds something new and interesting.

I remember seeing weebls funny flash animations for the first time, they were always good days. But I think if every day was predictable, even something as great as Magical Trevor would become dull.

I always look forward to tomorrow. New shitposts. New (You)s.
>>
BADGER BADGER BADGER

original
>>
>>27873257

Never said anything was original, I just miss the "feel" it had to it, you know?
>>
>>27873257
snakeeee snakeeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHNczNvOnGc
>>
>>27873085
>2010 internet

Literally no difference between the internet then and now.

I see the internet as pre-youtube and post-youtube.

Don't give me any shit about the golden years of youtube either, Smosh and =3 were the Pewdiepies of that era.

Also weebl and his LE RANDOM XD flash animations aren't any better.

>>27873165
This. I don't miss it taking 4 hours to download a single mp3 on kazaa that was mislabelled.
>>
>>27873085

I miss decent flash based vidya on newgrounds.
>>
>>27873310
The feel only existed without your self.

I'm assuming you're some 19 year old like 99% of the youngfags here, and you're really just nostalgic for your childhood. Not for the internet itself.
>>
>>27873235
this is the most inspiring post
>>
>>27873085
i don't miss the lolsorandumb xD humor or the lolspeak but i do miss the emphasis on concealing your name and identity, the higher entry barrier into the more obscure parts of the internet, and the overall just more wild, decentralized feel of it. "going on the internet" was an activity in itself, now that everything is so tame and surface level it's more like just a means to an end.
>>
>>27873334
>I see the internet as pre-youtube and post-youtube.

I agree with this, once the internet became fast enough to support streaming video the amount of normies started rising quickly
>>
lolsorandumb (like badgerbadgerbadger) is just a normie phase during youth
>>
>>27873366
>without
within, fuck.

>>27873357
I don't. Newgrounds was and still is a breeding ground of autism.

>StrawberryClock
>>
people are usually nostalgic about the times they were the most happiest.

I am too, i'm extremely nostalgic about the late 90s and early 00s because that was the happiest period of my life.
>>
>>27873085
Oh yeah there weren't any normalfags on the internet in 2009...

Fucking retard

Regardless
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bomb
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/showdown
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/asian
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/ritalin

>>27873397
>ree normies ree streaming
retard
>>
>>27873383
THIS is what I am talking about, you put it into words I couldn't think of myself but yes, the entry barrier to more obscure parts of the internet was my favorite part. Everything now seems like its calling for you, nothing is isolated to as great of an extent as it was before, everything is like "check out my tumblr, kik, reddit, email, phone number, resume"
>>
>>27873085
I want to be 15 again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq5t_TBZq1I
>>
>>27873397
not really.

>once the internet became fast enough to support streaming video

videos were being streamed long before youtube. Youtube was just the one platform that brought everything together. I used to watch music video after music video though Yahoo Music, and then torrent them through Kazaa or Limewire.

Plus the whole thing with "normies" really came about with myspace which then became facebook and branched out into other apps. Youtube is just like an intersection of where everything and everyone from the internet cross through each other's paths. If you go to some other video streaming site like dailmotion or nico or vimeo, you don't see the chaos that is the youtube comments section.

I don't really give a shit about normies either. I don't have facebook and I don't watch Kesha music videos (or whatever is the top 40 music these days), so let the normies have their containment sites.
>>
>>27873410
Same. I didn't even have the internet at home during that time, actually we did get it around 2002, I was busy being a mallgoth and punk poser and hanging out by myself at like the Vans Warped Tour and Ozzfest. Before that I would on Newgrounds for like 10 minutes during lunch break at school or occasionally go to seanbaby.com at the library and print out some of his webpages that I'd later read at home while sitting on the toilet. Like some retro analog tablet...
>>
>>27873512

Hmm now that I think of it, myspace started something that made the internet what it is today with
>pic related
all over the place, and it annoys me to no end
>>
>>27873583
As someone who is old as shit (31), I can tell you that you're mostly right. Even before myspace there were dozens of "social" sites like facethejury, hotornot, even livejurnal had social aspects to it as well as MSN's chat services that ran alongside MSN Messenger and you had your own little profile with your "about me, what I like, my hobbies" sections.

But for the most part it was used by failed normies/cyborgs, only very few normies that were too shy/introverted to look for a date IRL before online dating became totally mainstream. Mostly people who were into the nu-metal and pop-punk and emo scene, which later turned into screamo and metalcore.
>>
Do people even understand how the world wide web came about?

It was primarily for physicists and tech geeks. Eventually it worked it's way into business. You dumb fucking reddit faggots, "normies" have been on the internet as long as email and ftp has been commercial.

I actually had to look this up but apparently "Friendster" was one of the first modern type of social networking sites which obviously came after the connection people had personally through AOL and then shortly after came myspace.

>>27873699
Bullshit. Absolute bullshit. There were plenty of absolutely normal people using these messengers.

The largest barrier was cost which means that it didn't take off in poorer places or other countries than America until later
>>
>>27873760
I don't think anyone here legitimately has any been with the business professionals of the early internet. Netiquette was a thing back then. The normalfags now are far more cancerous. People that used the internet back then were simply a smaller, more well-educated and wealthier subset of the population.
>>
>>27873085
That is post bubble Internet. It literally was already for normies before that. Lrn2history
>>
>>27873760
>Bullshit. Absolute bullshit. There were plenty of absolutely normal people using these messengers.

Your anecdote vs mine senpai

Whatever it was back then is immensely dwarfed by what it is today.
>>
>>27873760
Sure they were the drivers of its exansion, but the internet has also been a haven for social outcasts from its inception. Sizable enclaves of weirdos have always been a key feature of the net.
>>
File: MikeLoveFormula.png (443 KB, 793x677) Image search: [Google]
MikeLoveFormula.png
443 KB, 793x677
I never "liked" any era of the internet
if I liked some things on some places but to be completely honest it was never good as a whole
>>
File: gamecenter shiggy.png (170 KB, 382x346) Image search: [Google]
gamecenter shiggy.png
170 KB, 382x346
>>27873512
>(or whatever is the top 40 music these days
The surest sign of someone who pretends to be out of touch for the sake of looking cool is "I don't listen to whatever's popular these days"
>>
>>27873334
Early Youtube, even Youtube in 2011 is completely different to Youtube of now.

Before more unknown channels could get popular, I mean even Fred got popular and it was just a screaming teenage kid with no flashy tags.

Now all you see is reactions, top 10s, people who are already known, drama, reviews and lets plays, or things by companies like music videos and trailers.

It also seems like nobody does anything online just to be a hobby, everyone is selling out because it's an option.
>>
>>27874785
Music is generally too unpleasant to listen to anymore, it sounds way too digital and it seems like artists are trying to create annoying riffs and choruses on purpose.
>>
>>27874996
Make no mistake, I'm not saying that anything on the top 40 is good. But it's an unmistakable sign of someone who's intentionally contrarian if they say "Well, whatever's popular today, I hate it!"

But what would I know about musical taste? I listen to Faith No More and Vocaloid pretty much exclusively these days.

Then again I got over the phase of "the music you listen to defines everything about your personality and is the cornerstone on which your self is built, so it's extremely important to only listen to patrician music!"
Any my idea of "patrician" was Gamma Ray and Helloween. Again, what the fuck would I know about good taste in music?
>>
>>27873257
MUSHROOM MUSHROOM!!?!
>>
>>27874944
>Now all you see is reactions, top 10s, people who are already known, drama, reviews and lets plays, or things by companies like music videos and trailers.

quit watching the top layer of filth and shit that floats up to the top of youtube then.
>>
>>27875050
At what point do you give up though? I hear enough of the top 40 in my general daily duties whether it be going around stores or seeing ads.

If anything it's a protest of modern culture and trends to give up on it, which I'm all for.
>>
>>27875207
Like what? I only really watch people who were around in the 00s who are still going, there is no platform for smaller channels without resorting to cheap clickbait.
>>
>>27874785
I seriously don't, and I genuinely don't know who's popular or not these days.

When I was still working at a slavewagejob and not being a NEET, I would be listening to top 40 radio (not by choice). More like top 10 actually because it was the same 10 fucking songs all day long.

Even when I did enjoy a popular artist or a popular song, I would end up hating it and wanting to kill myself because of how oeverplayed it eventually was.

So, then, who's popular these days? Are Carley Rae Jepsen, Pitbull, Psy, LMFAO and Justin Bieber still a thing?
>>
>>27875246
>Like what?

I don't know what your interests, hobbies, political viewpoints and sense of humor are like, so I can't make recommendations. It's up to you to dive deeper and find the gems in the rough..
>>
File: sadpepe.jpg (33 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
sadpepe.jpg
33 KB, 399x388
>>27874944
>dreamscape
>with a spirit
>notepad tutorials
>>
>>27875213
There's a difference between passively ignoring it and being outspoken about I SPECIFICALLY HATE WHATEVER'S POPULAR TODAY.

Case in point:
>>27875307
I don't know what's popular. I don't really care about it. I don't pay enough attention to it (though I can recognize the same half-dozen or so songs that are played constantly) to know who the artists are or that kind of thing.

Maybe I'm not being very clear - it's about bedtime for me. But you can be more than a mindless automaton pop-culture-chugging normie/pleb/whatever without actively hating what's playing on the radio. Does that make sense?
>>
>>27875334
If you have dive deep for good content my point about the main Youtube content being shit stands.
>>
>>27875349
>notepad tutorials from gamefaqs

holy shit, i cant even imagine the autism one must have to write one of those things.

I tried to print one once when i was young only to realize it was 267 pages
>>
The only thing I miss was the layout of web 1.0 not every site has to look like a fucking app and social media want quite the cancer it is today.
>>
>>27875403
It's the same thing with music dude.

See the chain of posts:
>>27875388
>>27875307
>>27875246
>>27875213
>>27875050
>>27874785
>>27873512
>>etc.

Just because top 40 music is 99% all of the same chords and melodies and lyrical content about booty and having money in the club, that doesn't mean that music itself is shit. There's infinitely more good stuff than there is bad, you're just not exposed to it.

>>27875388
Also for me what kills modern pop music (even though the majority of it really is structurally all the same) is really the overexposure.

But it literally is all the same

https://www.virgin.com/music/science-proves-all-pop-music-sounds-the-same

TL:DR;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJCzVvBvh3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o
>>
>>27874785
why are poptimists and yeezt infections so offended that not everybody likes a bunch of dance bats and sex raps.
>inb4 rockism
>>
>>27873366
19 year old youngfag, here can confirm, there are simply days where I didn't need to go work, or play vidya to distract myself. I didn't had to look after myself or be unhappy with what I had, didn't need to worry about how the world views you. I remember that somewhere when I was 15, my view of the world became bleak. It was just all fun and games before that.
>>
Can somebody post the pic of what sites had the most traffic from 2007-2011-2014?
>>
>>27875672
What bothers me now about a lot of pop is it all needs to have a "drop" where it builds up and goes silent and starts up again.

A lot of songs are also copying the Beiber What Do You Mean formula of using that digital flute shit.
>>
>>27875349
>UNREGISTERED HYPERCAM 2
>>
>>27875349
>>27875597

The tutorials where it was just an html page with fancy ASCII graphic and a table of contents was the best.

>Old tutorials
>Ctrl + F, type the tag, find what you're looking for

>New tutorials
>"HEY EVERYONE WELCOME BACK TO MY TUTORIAL REMEMBER TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE SO TODAY I'M GOING TO TELL YOU HOW TO DO SOMETHING, BUT FIRST LET ME INSERT A WHOLE BUNCH OF DETAILS THAT DON'T FUCKING MATTER AT ALL"
>>
>>27875781
Well it doesn't help that all pop music is written by the same like 12 people since the singers are too busy learning dance moves to actually write their own shit.

I'm actually working on eventually becoming a music producer & composer so I can change the mediocrity of Amerian pop music. The whole "fight the system from the inside out" that sellout punks talk about.
>>
>>27873085

2000-2010 is a wide range, but I do remember good things happening in those years.

The awful things seemed to start happening around 2014. Absolute normalfag invasion at that time.
>>
tfw 4chinz isn't nearly as offensive as it was in 2005 and that was the whole appeal of it
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 600x315
>>27873085
90s Internet master race
>>
>>27873334
more like pre-facebook to post-facebook
>>
>>27875965
eh, sure, but facebook was sort of like "cocooning" for years when it was just for harvard students or whatever, then any college students, then anyone who was cool and hip to use it and wanted to ditch myspace, and then eventually those people's aunts and uncles and parents and grandparents.

With youtube it was meant for everyone right away and they became a success nearly overnight. Like no one old enough barely remember where they used to watch videos before that.
>>
>>27875963
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWq4DWfrpu8

>that music
>those simple web pages
>those active IRC channels
>>
>>27873334
>>27875965
I think the release of the iPhone in 2007 is a good measure, too.

If the Internet was still a thing where you had to be affixed to a Desktop for hours and hours to fully understand it, it probably wouldn't be as popular.
>>
>>27876133
>facebook
>youtube
>iPhone
>2007

I think that also around the same time that Wikipedia was becoming a mainstream thing with students at least because I recall most of teachers in college telling us to not use it as a source back then.
>>
>>27876215
2007 was also the release of the bing bang theory
>>
File: meme magic.jpg (43 KB, 600x411) Image search: [Google]
meme magic.jpg
43 KB, 600x411
>>27876238
What kind of meme wizard was pulling some black magic shit on the world back then?
>>
>>27876215
>>27876238
Shrek 3 was also released in 2007
>>
>>27876215
Youtube was 2005, but Google bought it at the very end of 2006 and ruined it, so I say it counts.
>>
>>27876768
>2006
what the fugg senpai you're right, and it feels like they bought them only back in like 2010 or something.

Or did google buy something else at that time that I'm thinking of?

>>27876383
>>27876238
>>27876215
>>27876133
I guess the Mayans were off by 5 years
>>
2005-2009 best years of internet. Atleast i think so. its gone to shit now though. Probably due to smart phones and the social media boom Says that as i am posting on a smart phone
>>
>>27876883
cancelled google video, perhaps

or google+ integration in youtube
>>
>>27876910
oh yeah definitely both of those things. I remember using google video for a a few years, that was kind of sad, and I definitely remember the google plus shitstorm
>>
People who say the past wasn't different from now are lying.

Msn was for personal chatting. Just chatting not whoring.

Fora had credibility and people had fun too. Now it's all a monopoly with shills hired to destroy everybody's opinion.

I'd say that the monopoly on fora and facebook have ruined the internet. They made it into a social buisness entirely. Another social club for normies to belong and robots to be brutally cast out from.
>>
File: images.png (8 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
images.png
8 KB, 290x290
what I miss from the old Internet is that you could have different accounts in different forums and be whatever you wanted to, there wasn't all this login/share with Facebook/Google bullshit, every forum was a different community with it's own rules and """culture" "" today you see the same old overused memes in Facebook, Twitter, reddit, YouTube, you just can't escape it, something becomes popular and you can't avoid it, user's avatars represented something they loved today is just selfies and self whoring even in the old days attention seekers put some effort into it

also flash animations, someone remember pic related?
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.