[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any robots in Uni?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11
File: ourhero.png (1 MB, 961x733) Image search: [Google]
ourhero.png
1 MB, 961x733
What majors did you choose?
Do you like them?
SAT scores?

I need to feed off you so I have an idea of where in fucking going in life. Thinking about majoring in philosophy
>>
File: shaving.jpg (167 KB, 1000x671) Image search: [Google]
shaving.jpg
167 KB, 1000x671
>>27816684

Nice, one of the Rarer Elliots, I've only seen that posted about 2-3 times since the thread

I chose law then dropped out
>>
Is his face photoshopped there? Looks like something from oblivion
>>
>>27816705
Did you put in the effort? Or was it just too much to handle?
>>
>>27816684
>Thinking about majoring in philosophy
So you're planning on working at starbucks for life?
>>
>>27816724
What's wrong with philosophy?
>>
>>27816716

I just had serious brainfog and thought the course wasn't worth it once I found a semi-comfortable job
>>
>>27816684
UCLA
Chem
2150, 800 on chem and math2

I don't like it very much
>>
Freshman
Sat:2020
Major: physics
I fucking hate it. I've wanted to be a physicist since 6th grade but I realized I don't actually like it when I bombed my second physics test. I had to drop physics and now I don't know what to do with my life or tell my parents
>>
>>27816684
Computer Engineering. Switched from Mechanical. I kind of liked physics, but hated everything else about mechanical including the other students. I don't expect to like computer engineering student, but at least I'll be more interested in the subject matter. I got a 31 on the ACT. Probably could have gotten higher if I took the test multiple times. The ACT is basically easy mode anyway, you can be stupid as hell and get a good grade if you just study for it a bit.
>>
Junior, not in the US so I didn't do the SAT.

I'm double majoring in math and CS so I don't starve. CS is easy but boring, math is comfy but hard.
>>
OP, I hope you're not deciding based on the feedback of robots, none of us are going to be happy.

That being said, don't do chem. Don't make my mistake.
>>
>>27816773
Sounds like you're just too dumb for physics tbhfam. Nothing to be sad about, after all it's the major with the highest IQ average.

t. physics major
>>
File: civil-engineer-2.jpg (42 KB, 283x424) Image search: [Google]
civil-engineer-2.jpg
42 KB, 283x424
>>27816684
anyone else in engineering? You cant go wrong with engineering, not so much with environmental.
>>
File: 1397495825652.jpg (324 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1397495825652.jpg
324 KB, 640x1136
Major in fucking off and never coming back t b h
>>
computer engineering/business I fuckign hate my college Im gonna switch to ivy soon. I got a 1300, but my extracurricular says Im an undercover police officer since the age of six so Im good to go to any school
>>
>>27816885
Chemical engineering here. Working in a giant ass petrochemical plant seems like the ideal robot job.
>>
>>27816847
I'm not, I'm quite sure I want to major in humanities. Just wanted to see what the rest of us study
>>
>>27816740
Nothing. I'm a third year philosophy and religion double major. Plan on getting my masters and teaching.
>>
CompSci & IT
I hate my life
My sat score was 2100 back in 2011
>>
File: 1459886659197.gif (2 MB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1459886659197.gif
2 MB, 550x550
>major you chose

I'm a piano major. Already have a part-time position in my field and i still have my senior year to go.

>do you like it

It's very satisfying to have a skill at this level and learn about musicology, the history of music theory especially. Chicks dig it, always a hit at parties. Once I needed some money for bus fare from a hotel, so my friend and I found a Folgers can and sat at the piano in the lobby, got $13 before the staff asked us to leave.

>SAT scores

I got 1860, but I got a 720/800 in reading. I clocked out in like tenth grade and just started getting high and playing guitar and singing all day every day.

I'm still recovering from letting my study habits go to shit. However, I don't really need a good GPA, just references and talent really. Word of mouth is much more important in this field than a resume. Unless you work for the education system or something.
>>
>>27816960
>teaching
normie spotted
>>
I'm a bio/pre-med major.

I hate it and I might as well drop out since my GPA is only 3.4 at the end of sophomore year.

Midwest fag here got a 30 on the ACT
>>
>history but now I have no clue desu
>classes? No. Only here because of parent pressure
>21
>>
Criminal Justice Management. Be good, or I'll shoot you dead.
>>
>>27817025
>A bloo bloo bloo

I'm a cyborg who's trying to not end up a NEET loser
>>
>>27816684
Microbiology

I love it, it's incredibly fascinating to me.

I got about an 1800 on the 2400 scale for the old SAT. Pretty average, but enough to get me into a halfway decent state school.

I graduated last year and am looking for work now, it's actually looking kind of bleak. Kinda wish I majored in CS or engineering for the job prospects but not really because I love what I studied. There's still jobs for what I studied, and I've got interviews and offers, I'm just holding out for one that's really good. I'm not that worried about the future.
>>
>>27817330
>cyborg
fuck off normalfag
>>
>>27817418
>not getting a somewhat decent job until you get a better one

don't be so picky, employes prefer to employ people who are working
>>
>>27817330
Can you stop posting?
Every single thread i've been in has you posting that same comment
>a bloo bloo
It's so fucking dumb and annoying, stop.
>>
>>27816773
>2020
>Physics
The world doesn't need a dumb physicist
>>
>>27817491
/sci/ pls
>>
>>27816684
Computer engineering, it's okay. Somewhat interesting, and annoying at the same time. 3400 on the College Board.
>>
590CR,570W,800M
800Math2,770Chemistry
Sophomore chemistry major, 2.1gpa (dropped out this semester). Going to community college this summer and fall and transfer to state school. I fucked up.
>>
>>27817841
>590CR
senpai...
>>
>>27816684
>What majors did you choose?
Linguistics
->Do you like them?
Not really
->SAT scores?
Didn't take it
>>
>>27816684
CS
>Do you like them?
yes, it's extremely fun, plus I do well. And I'm making great money.
>SAT scores?
>I need to feed off you so I have an idea of where in fucking going in life. Thinking about majoring in philosophy
I thought about this. Don't. You'll be poor, and upper division philosophy courses are awful.
>>
>>27816684
>philosophy
Come on man. I'm majoring in Math. I like it. SAT= 2310. Seriously do math or at least physics or something respectable.
>>
File: 1457549909993.png (135 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1457549909993.png
135 KB, 900x900
If your SAT score is above 2000 you aren't a fucking robot.
>>
>>27816885
second year Mech Eng here, doing good so far.
>>
SAT? Nope
ACT? 27. Not good but good enough for my uni
Major: Freshman Prenuclear medicine but maybe looking at medschool if my MCAT turns out gold enough with my GPA.
>>
>CIS
>I hate computers, I literally picked this course at random and I'm three years into it already
>1930
>kill me
>>
File: 1395329071286.jpg (58 KB, 502x496) Image search: [Google]
1395329071286.jpg
58 KB, 502x496
>>27816684
I'm in Political Science. I do not really enjoy the course wholeheartedly, but the way lawmen think really what keeps me from shifting. This is the point in my life where I'm unsure about everything and I need some sign or direction where to go from here. I just could not see myself as a future lawyer.

In hindsight, I should have picked welding or other menial trade jobs that does not require a lot of thinking. I realized just now that I'm not as smart as I thought I am. I'm perfectly fine by being a truck driver or carpenter if it means my future is stable, clear and secure.
>>
>>27816684
>>27816885
Berkeley
Mechanical Engineering
>Do you like them?
too robotic to do things
besides that its ok tho
>Test scores?
2290 / 36

>>27817669
he's right tho
you will not be a physicist if you arent like top of your class

>>27818140
philosophy is pretty respectable desu senpai
just because its nonSTEM doesnt mean its not respectable
>>
File: bane.jpg (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
bane.jpg
18 KB, 400x300
Econ
It's decent but pure ideology. Might go overseas for grad school and get a perspective outside the monetarist/Chicago School stuff that I'm being pummeled with right now.
>>
>>27816684
Environmental Economics/Management
Yeah, it's interesting and I enjoy being in the college of Ag. You meet a lot of different kinds of people.
No SAT, but 31 on ACT
>>
>>27818984
We are the SAME. Except I shifted to a more Criminal Justice focused degree. I might join the police academy and do that for a little while.
>>
>>27819337
>you will not be a physicist if you arent like top of your class

Was shit throughtout school, got my shit together last year of it, got into my physics department (best in my country) third from last. I'm one of the *better* students if there is such a thing, you just have to be devoted and really really REALLY like physics and maths. It's 90% hard work, like most things in life, don't fall for r9k's shitty memes.
>>
>>27816904
>my extracurricular says Im an undercover police officer since the age of six so Im good to go to any school
what the fuck are you saying
>>
>>27816684
Criminology

>Do you like them?
I start next month, but I'm already regretting my choice.
>>
>>27816684
I chose computer science as my major because of UW-parksides "100% job placement rate". I would take the gen eds first to get them out of the way if i changed my mind. I couldnt even take any courses due to placement in a low level math course since i spent 2 years after highschool fucking around. I surprisingly scored 27 overall on the ACT but i was a shitty kid throughout highschool barely scraping by from not doing homework but doing well on tests. I only went to college because people have urged me to, but the daily realization of my tendencies to eternally fuck up have made me reconsider
>>
Double major in mathematics and computer science and minor in military science. Proudly signed my life to united states army. Wew lad I'm fucking busy all the time and still have a couple years left
>>
>>27819337
Sorry I should have been more specific. If by philosophy you meant formal logic then by all means study that. There is also some interesting work being done right now in epistemology but the vast majority of philosophy work (modern metaphysics, continental "philosophy", modern ethics) is trash. This is why I am urging you to pursue math or a related field ( physics, formal logic, comp sci). When I said respectable I didn't mean conferring widespread approval, I meant intellectually rigorous.
>>
>>27816684
Major: CS
SAT: 1290
>tfw graduated in 2014 now comfy software engineering job @ 105k salary in low cost of living south
>>
File: 1452128039174.jpg (38 KB, 300x380) Image search: [Google]
1452128039174.jpg
38 KB, 300x380
English Major in 3rd year ...
It's too late now but I wish I'd done Poli-sci .. or-or something that would actually get me a job. Oh well, I love literature, and hopefully my English education will make returning to minimum wage bearable. Liberal arts degrees teach you to THINK right?
>>
I'm in the master's program now for
Criminal Justice with a concentration in homeland security. I like it a lot, especially considering it has a lot of interesting sociology courses and decent job prospects. 2210 on the SATs, but that was after taking it two times
>>
>Just got the daily phoneshout
>Can't call it a conversation, I just nod and mumble affirmations to everything that's shouted at me
>anything else would just prolong the shouting
>didn't pick up at once because I was grocery shopping with housemates
>"Plenty of mothers do this sort of thing, anon! But you always ignore me! It's rude and hurtful!"
>mumble yet more apologies and affirmations
>threaten to make me come back home every weekend so they can cut off all of my internet and ensure I work for every waking hour
>crumple down at my desk, far more stressed about upcoming end of term exams than I have any right to be

Why can't I just be left alone? Why can't they just fuck off and let me breathe? I hate it I hate it I hate it reee, my parents are giving me the worst case of anxiety
>>
>>27821252
why are they shouting at you?
>>
>>27820885
Hows software engineering working out for you? Do you have to put in many hours after work trying to keep up or is it a laid back comfy gig ?
>>
Anyone do Enviornmental Science or Geology? Is it worthwhile
>>
>>27821354
Because end of Uni exams are a little over a month away.
>>
Trash 1290/1940 score. Currently in the process of scheming how to get the most money for the least amount of utility provided to employers/society.

Success unlikely.
>>
>>27816684
Biology, it's okay, right around 2000 (1990 is a fucking annoying score).
>>
can someone tell me what is SAT ? im not american
>>
>>27821651
It's a standardized test graded out of 2400. 1200s are average 1500s are "good" 2000+ is great.

Colleges use them as part of the application process.
>>
>>27816684
currently at UT Austin
Electrical Engineering
Fuck this school and fuck everyone here
2050 SAT score
>>
>>27816684
Industrial engineering and management.
>Do you like them?
It's alright.
>SAT scores?
99th percentile.
>>
File: poli who gives a fuck.jpg (58 KB, 485x600) Image search: [Google]
poli who gives a fuck.jpg
58 KB, 485x600
>>27821789

God damn, I just realized that this sounds like a throwaway post that nobody's gonna reply to (albeit true), so here is an interesting picture.
>>
I was going to go to university for film but realized it's be pointless really.

And I was going to go for History/politics/psychology but realized I can read all about that for free and do so now without acquiring a massive debt and no job.

The world 'degree' has lost all reverence - I remember when someone with a degree was a smart person and a learned person. Now you can have a degree in shite like liberal arts, women's studies, philosophy etc. It really doesn't matter any more.

The amount of people studying psychology as a degree is baffling and for the same reason I thought I wanted to study it - 'It's a cool subject, I'd get to go to school to learn about it, how cool is that?' except these people never really grew up and willingly blew thousands of learning about psychology when there is an infinite amount of books out there on the subject for free or the price of a library card... or an illegally downloaded .epub.
>>
Not OP, but would be a Philosophy/Psychology double major a good idea?
>>
>>27821517
>Anyone do Enviornmental Science or Geology? Is it worthwhile

yes pretty worthwhile
honestly its a really comfy subject you will enjoy it
do geophysics or geology or environmental engineering if those are offered tho environmental science often borders on not very technical and then its kinda worthless
>>
>>27822201
no, Psych is NEVER a good idea

the psych degree has been watered down in the US to be a premed for failure morons degree. its literally the most common degree, its the degree people get if they dont know what to do after high school because "they wanna know how people work and stuff"
its veritably the singular worst possible degree you could get besides fake degrees offered by shit schools like IT

if you do choose to pursue humanities route, many of the degrees are very much the same type of classes and workload, only difference is subject matter (obviously),
any base humanity or humanities with a solid grounding in the real world are p good
that is stuff like polisci, econ, philosophy, history, geography, sometimes linguistics, sometimes english etc
>>
>>27822210
could geology get me the same sort of jobs as environmental science though?

Aside from that that you really settled my mind a bit as I was having second thoughts about it so thanks
>>
>>27822325
What is Linguistics like? Don't know what to do and it sounds okay.
>>
Perfect on my SAT. Engineer.
>>
File: 149859605.jpg (10 KB, 240x204) Image search: [Google]
149859605.jpg
10 KB, 240x204
>all these 2000+ SAT scores
Thanks for making me feel like a retard guys...
>>
>>27816885
Electrical engineering. Hope to get a job in PLC programming at some point. Send easy enough, pay is good and I wouldn't have to interact with many humans.
>>
>>27822325
So what about international relations/organization?
>>
>>27816885
I know two people with a mechanical engineering degree who can't even find a job, which fits the current STEM meme market status.
>>
>>27816773
You could try engineering instead, you would be able to grasp most concepts fairly quickly. I was rejected from doing theoretical physics because my filthy commie government would rather teach foreigners than a native.
>>
Computer Science
>Do you like them?
It's cool, but it's filled with a bunch of retards who only care about videogames. All the cool stuff has already been done. I realized too far into my degree that Computer Engineering is what I should have majored in.
>SAT scores?
Below a 1500.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.