[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here played this masterpiece before? What was your favourite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: images-21.jpg (28 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
images-21.jpg
28 KB, 512x288
Anyone here played this masterpiece before? What was your favourite quote/part?
>it takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him
>>
Literally 2deep4me the game.
>>
Sell me on it, bro. Why should I play this game?
>>
>>27761233
Its a PTSD simulator
>>
>>27761242
It's a third person shooter where you go to a foreign country and shoot people to protect civilians. Really nice cover mechanics and solid shooting, with scarce ammo that keeps you moving to forage for more bullets.
>>
>>27761267
Until you accidentally those people with white phosphorus
>>
>dude war is bad lmao
>>
>>27761287
>stand down Lugo
>HE TURNED US INTO FUCKING KILLERS
>>
>>27761293
white phosphorus is bad
>>
>>27761267
That's good. I must be one of the few people who actually kind of likes scavenging for ammo and other supplies. It makes the firefights so much more intense when you have to make every bullet count. I hate the games that just give you everything for free. LOL infinite rockets!
Anyway, I think I'll check it out.
>>
Yeah, you can play pacifist Postal 2. Message is bullshit.
>>
File: 1444187211846.jpg (463 KB, 1038x539) Image search: [Google]
1444187211846.jpg
463 KB, 1038x539
The character goes in guns blazing trying to be the hero and instead fucks things up even more. All he had to do was turn around and report back that there were people still alive in Dubai.

It also had you shoot American soldiers who weren't really bad guys. They had to enact martial law to stop raiders that were murdering aid workers. Instead of the Calvary arriving they got a couple of CIA pricks that started organizing the locals to fight back.

My problem with the game is that anyone with common sense knows that the best course of action for the main character is to turn the fuck around and report to his CO, but you're never given the option. You know going in that dumping white phosphorous on American soldiers and a large blob of heat signatures not shooting at you is a bad idea, yet the game forces you to do it and then go "Oops, you just deep fried a bunch of innocent people you're such a bad person!" Well if you gave me any other option I would have taken it, game.
>>
>>27761482
There is another option. It's explained when you meet Konrad when he "none of this would've happened if you just stopped"
You had the choice to stop playing.
>>
>>27761217
gameplaywise the game is quite mediocre and even boring. it offers no innovative mechanics that sets it apart from other 3rd person shooters.
the enemies are also completely bland and it just feels like you're mowing down the same random enemy with the same gun over and over again, with the exception of a few "juggernauts" that are basically just bullet sponges
story wise its also bad. the game tries to force this whole "hurr look at the consequences of your decisions" but it never actually gives you a choice.
>inb4 you had a choice not to play the game.
the game also completely takes off the subtlety by saying shit like "DO YOU FEEL LIKE A HERO YET" when again you had no choice for your decisions.
The only time that this actually worked, and i actually commend them for, was when the civies killed Lugo and you had the option of shooting in the air to scare them off. i didnt even think about doing that and just gunned them down without a second thought. there are also some cool little easter eggs like billboards changing from your death to a regular billboard or random signs that change when you look away.
tl;dr 4/10
>>
>>27762714
unknown.
How have you been, pal?
>>
>>27761217
>tfw they kill one of your squadmates
>tfw mowing down the unarmed sandniggers who did it
>>
>>27762714
Who the Fuck cares about your opinion you dumb tripfag
>>
File: daenerys_1.gif (2 MB, 227x360) Image search: [Google]
daenerys_1.gif
2 MB, 227x360
>>27762714
>he thinks the spec ops was supposed to be fun
that's the point. it's not supposed to be fun. every shooty shooty game is the same shit, but they made it worse on purpose
the game is literally the story
>>
>>27761217
Ya get to kill a bunch of sand niggers. 10/10
>>
>>27762553
>devs too lazy to implement alternate routes so they break the fourth wall instead
bravo
>>
File: 84331885.jpg (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
84331885.jpg
70 KB, 640x480
>>27762827
>they made the game bad on purpose
>>
>>27762965
the trick is that all of those types of games are shit so they didn't even bother trying to innovate
the innovation is that they actually made a story that was worthwhile rather than the normal "the terrrorists aren't westerners so they need to die" plot
>>
It's a really good game if you go in blind and happen to do what the game 'wants' you to do. I did that, and it was a really cool experience. The devs definitely should have implemented an option for you to pull out once you found out the city was a complete clusterfuck. I heard they were running on a tight budget, so I can get why they didn't implement that stuff though.
>>
File: DO YOU FEEL LIKE A HERO YET.webm (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DO YOU FEEL LIKE A HERO YET.webm
1 MB, 1920x1080
>mfw Konrad shot me
>>
>>27762965
hes right though. the game is a deconstruction, it has to ape those other shooters to do that. if it innovated too much it wouldn't work
>>
>>27762867
> devs too lazy
i love this meme. you realize devs are on a payroll and work hard to keep their jobs. games are made on time/money constraints, not dreams

its interesting how they made this game.. it fools plebs into thinking its le hardcore war game so they can sell it to publishers, but then they actually do innovate with it too as a kind of sucker punch. interesting stuff for a pretty stagnant industry, mad respect for the devs on this. its rare that a game surprises me
>>
>>27761217
I regret that I got spoiled before playing it. It's not a masterpiece, and not as deep as people make it out to be, but by no means was it bad. Even with the major plot points spoiled, the story was still interesting to play
>>
I didn't care for the story, it was a hack job, but meh, games aren't really known for their stories.

But there is no gameplay in this game.

Easily one of the worst cover shooters i've ever played. It was released years after the genre had already developed so it has no excuse to play like something made in 2003 by complete amateurs.
>>
>>27764900
> Easily one of the worst cover shooters i've ever played
controls and weapons felt responsive
AI was aggressive
level design and environment was good
resources well placed
you can command your troops
decent pacing

one of the better cover shooters iv played tbqh
>>
>>27764938
Garbage.

The only true thing is that true is that it had nice set design and environment.

The cover and enemy placing was trash.

One ai set of charging blindly for every single fucking enemy is not good aggressive ai.
Good ai uses tactics, flanking, grenade flushing, decoys and has variety, requiring you to think and plan ahead to succeed.

I'm guessing this is the only cover shooter you played.
>>
>>27764900
>Easily one of the worst cover shooters i've ever played

If you've played the Gears series you're either lying or a complete moron
>>
Bitch I didn't care bout no civilians being fried or any "brothers" in as. This is war and I do my part to kill niggers left and right.
>>
>>27762714
>gameplaywise the game is quite mediocre and even boring. it offers no innovative mechanics that sets it apart from other 3rd person shooters.
The gameplay mechanics are fine, they're nothing groundbreaking but they're not bad either. The level design is also pretty good and ammo is scarce enough.

>the game tries to force this whole "hurr look at the consequences of your decisions" but it never actually gives you a choice
>the game also completely takes off the subtlety by saying shit like "DO YOU FEEL LIKE A HERO YET" when again you had no choice for your decisions
God damn you have to be retarded. The game never blames the player, it's all Walker's fault. One of the loading screens even straight up tells you this. The game was supposed to show the dissonance between dudebro shooters and war, if Walker had the option to do the "right" thing it would completely have ruined the point.
Even the part where you can shoot in the air to scare the civilians is an empty choice, they'll all die in the next couple of days because of Walker destroying the water anyway.

Dumb tripfag.
>>
>>27765027
The original gears was shit

It was also released 10 years ago on a goddamned console.
>>
>>27765006
> requiring you to think and plan ahead to succeed
thats not what chaotic action games are about senpai
>>
>>27765078
>The original gears was shit
True; its sequels were even worse.

Tell me. What are the best cover shooters you've played?
>>
>>27765078
gears was incredible at release

awful now because the gears/resi4 template has been run into the ground since
>>
>>27761217

Played it in one sitting closed up in my room in the height of summer for extra immersion

>eyes were sore and felt gritty
>felt exhausted and dirty and emotionally drained

Was fucking great
>>
>>27765006
>The cover and enemy placing was trash.
It was very good, it offered several ways to approach every firefight and also quite often had vertical fighting mixed in.
>Good ai uses tactics, flanking, grenade flushing
That's exactly what they do you nigger, did you play it on babby mode or something?
>>
>>27765132
>best cover shooter
Now that I think about it, there's no such thing for a 3rd person shooter.

But fuck i'll take pleb shit like Human Revolution or Mass effect over Spec ops bare bones shit.

And there are tonnes of games that have adopted it better than Spec ops.

Max payne, Uncharted, Splinter cells, Metal gears and on and on and on.

Actual fun games.
>>
>>27765038
The game literally tells you "do YOU feel like a hero yet" so unless it's breaking the 4th wall and the loading screen is giving us insight on walkers thoughts, then that's just bullshit because the game is obviously trying to connect us with Walker. If it weren't trying to connect us with Walker then our empathy with Walker would be non existent , meaning that all of walkers actions are just making the player go "what the fuck is this retard doing instead of reporting back to his CO". Giving the player a choice in walkers actions would make a deeper impact on the consequences rather than getting annoyed at how Walker fucked everything up this time

And if your whole argument is "well this is walkers story and it's HIS choices" then it's a shitty story regardless because his actions are just plain idiotic

And I don't know where you're getting this scarce ammo thing from because their is plenty of ammo everywhere. All enemies drop ammo and there are a lot of them
>>
>>27765240
>DX Human Resources
>Max Payne 3

I can't remember if those even had cover systems, but if they did, they were tacked-on, phoned-in bullshit that had nothing to do with the core gameplay.

>Mass Effect
>Uncharted

Trash

>Sphincter Cell
>Metal Gear

Not really an apples-apples comparison, again. SO:TL is by far the best actual cover shooter.
>>
File: 1460251777414.jpg (33 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1460251777414.jpg
33 KB, 604x604
>>27765348
You're a dumbcunt.
>>
>>27765319
>The game literally tells you "do YOU feel like a hero yet"
Konrad tells this to Walker you stupid tripfuck nigger. Unless you played this game because you wanted to feel like one i don't know how you could feel like that comment was targeting you.
>the game is obviously trying to connect us with Walker
It does the opposite, you can tell that everything he does from the start is a bad idea, he also trusts the wrong people and gets way too obsessed over Konrad. The proof you're supposed to feel disconnected from Walker is the ending, you're essentially judging him and decide if he deserves to live or not.

>then it's a shitty story regardless because his actions are just plain idiotic
It's a bad story because the protagonist makes bad decisions? Please explain your point because that's fucking stupid.

>All enemies drop ammo and there are a lot of them
They don't drop much on higher difficulties and they often have different weapons so at the end of a firefight you'll only be picking up like 35 bullets at most, and that's if you're using one of the "common" guns like the M4 or the AK.
>>
>>27762714
>>27765319
blah blah blah same old generic spec ops the line sucks spiel dumbasses have been tossing around for years

if you choose to actively deny the effectiveness of a story, you can deny the effectiveness of any story.
>>
>>27764745
For the most part the video game industry has been coming out with ton of new shit recently, how is it stagnant?
>>
>>27766605
like what?

when production costs skyrocketed devs stopped being able to take risks and everyone except top AAA studios dropped out the race

even "indies" making generic pixelshit now after the indie boom turned AA studios into indies and pushed out actual indie devs
>>
>>27767009
>when production costs skyrocketed devs stopped being able to take risks and everyone except top AAA studios dropped out the race
This was very true 2-3 years ago but people are finally getting bored of Ass creed and cod every year and they are finally declining in sales. Although there are barely new IPs for AAA which sucks but there's been a lot of legitimately good AAA sequels and spin off games coming out recently: XCOM 2, Bloodeborne, the witcher 3, Mario maker, rainbow six siege
And companies are rebooting a lot of stuff and they're probably gonna be shitty cash grabs but maybe one will be good: Mirrors Edge, Doom, the Last Guardian, and Ratchet and Clank. But I think in general companies are finally starting to become more experimental with AAA titles now the current gen consoles are big enough to support it and we'll probably see a lot of new IPs aimed for next gen consoles pretty soon.
>even "indies" making generic pixelshit now after the indie boom turned AA studios into indies and pushed out actual indie devs
I'm getting pretty tired of pixelshit too desu but some of it is actually good and worth checking out you just have to sort through a lot of garbage though. Thankfully indie games will have to move on from pixelshit once VR gets popular. Overall I'd say the past 6 months in games have been surprisingly good especially compared to the last 3 years we've had before that.
>>
>>27767771
Yeah but Spec Ops came out in like 2012.
>>
>>27767771
>VR will be the future guy
Its gonna be motion controls 2.0 all over again. Just another shitty gimmick.
>>
>>27764745
>innovate

You're a clueless headless chicken.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.