[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw my life's dream is to be a rock star >spend hundreds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 15
>tfw my life's dream is to be a rock star
>spend hundreds of hours playing guitar
>still suck

Fuck why can't I just be good at something! I suck at everything but why do I have to suck at the one thing I am passionate about!
>>
>>27747080
> dreams
why do normies think good things will happen for them just because they want it? everyone wants shit, yet it happens for 1 in 100000 people

get over it you cuck, lifes shit but these delusions only make it worse
>>
There are no rock stars anymore dude. Since the popularization of amp simulators everybody makes music in their bedroom / home studios.
I am pretty damn good at guitar but it never got me anything.
>>
Plenty of musicians suck at playing. Ramones, the clash, sex pistols were all pretty much garbage musicians by objective standards. Don't give up desu.
>>
Read Cal Newport's "So Good They Can't Ignore You" and practise, practise, practise.
>>
File: 1455661496689.jpg (24 KB, 480x590) Image search: [Google]
1455661496689.jpg
24 KB, 480x590
>dream of being a "rock star"
>git gud playing shitty wank solos
>"WHY DOES NOBODY LIKE ME?"
KILL YOURSELF YOU DADROCK FAGGOT
>>
>>27747080
>>spend hundreds of hours playing guitar
>>still suck
fuck I know this feel
I'm sure it's just I'm doing it wrong but I just don't know how to improve, I've been on the same level for years, not only is there a very limited amount of things I can play, I even suck at playing them, it just sounds like shit and I made all sorts of mistakes, some more obvious than others
>>
i've played for like 20 years and i'm still shit. i watch guthrie govan and listen to john mclaughlin and it's just.... why even bother? i'll never be that fucking good.
>>
>>27747080
I so desperately want to be good at something. it's the only thing I want in life just to be good at one thing.
>>
>Hundreds of hours
>At most, doesn't even equate to a couple months
Man, I've been playing my instrument for 5 years and my first 2 years of playing for 4 hours of day I was still shit. I got decent around my 3rd year and started playing jazz from then till now. The musical arts aren't something you can become good at in just a "couple hundred hours" like league of legends or DOTA, you need to devote a good majority of your life to it.
>>
>>27747080
>>27747474

If you spend an hour a day practicing, every day for a year, then you'll have almost doubled your total time playing guitar. Unless by hundreds you mean the upper hundreds, in which case practice for two hours a day (or an hour a day for two years I suppose).

It's going to take at least a few hundred or even a thousand hours before you're good enough that you'll feel confident in your ability. It is totally worth it once you get to that point though, even if your odds of becoming a famous musician are slim. Playing an instrument is fucking gravy for your soul. Don't give up, guys, seriously.
>>
>a rockstar

If your dream is the lifestyle, its a dead dream. Todays "rockstars" are rappers

If you care about the music, who cares about being famous, just practice.
>>
File: 11.jpg (36 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
36 KB, 1280x720
>mfw a guitarist doesn't practice for 15 hours a day since age 13 near me
>>
>>27747922
I don't get why people are saying this. There's definitely still rock stars, even young ones.
Look at iceage. They exploded within a couple years, they have a pretty big fanbase that is constantly increasing, they have fangirls, press attention and so on. And they're what, 24 years old?
Sure, you won't catch their songs on MTV but I'm sure they still feel 100% as rockstars.
>>
File: 0045778670161.png.925x925_q90.jpg (193 KB, 925x925) Image search: [Google]
0045778670161.png.925x925_q90.jpg
193 KB, 925x925
>>27747922
Contrary to popular belief, there are more bands than Queen and AC/DC

Modern bands do exist and they do get laid

Green Day's "American Idiot" is ridiculously easy to play
>>
>>27748070
yeah ofcourse there are exceptions, but the idea of a rockstar is being the most talked about cunt on the planet, or just the music scene whatever. And whats the biggest genre right now? Fucking rap

and if some fuckerino like this >>27748134
thinks its just about the pussy, even a fucking neo folk bassist will get laid
>>
Maybe try a different instrument?
>>
File: 1648040 ;artist_456.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1338) Image search: [Google]
1648040 ;artist_456.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1338
>>27747080

>tfw roller coaster of practice hard/don't touch

All I want is to cover Malmsteen with ease and do some shitty gigging with that skill. How fucking hard is that.
>>
File: pee pee the fee fee.png (178 KB, 3952x3720) Image search: [Google]
pee pee the fee fee.png
178 KB, 3952x3720
>not picking up guitar and just doing whatever you want on it

You're a pleb, OP.
>>
>>27747181
Yea see you actually have to be hopeful and believe it

I can tell you're pretty smart but you're a shit when it comes to mindfulness
>>
>>27748222
Malmsteen is easy and predictable though, all you need is to play fast, know the harmonic minor scale and you're able to play all his songs.
And get a good guitar that your hands feel comfortable on, not necessarily a strat like him, it makes playing fast far easier.
>>
A lot of the most popular rock bands have songs that are fairly easy to play on a guitar, so skill doesn't really factor into it unless you're looking to become a guitar god like Yngwie.

You could even go the radio rock route, sell your soul for money and just play three chords over and over again.
>>
>>27748314
>sell your soul for money
dude I-V-vi-IV lmao
>>
>>27748295

I think many people underrate yngwie with "plays fast".
There's a lot more to it than that. Soul(less) fags are cancer desu.
>>
>>27748290
> y-you just have to believe!
this is sad, do you read the secret?
>>
>>27748417
there are much better guitarists worth listening to than Memesteem

go listen to django reinhardt or nels cline
>>
>>27748417
He gets completely shat on in his own genre by Uli Jon Roth or Jason Becker, he does get a lot of criticism from people who keep saying "oh he plays fast he can't be good because I can't play fast and my bends are better", but that doesn't mean he's the greatest either.
And he can't dial in a good fucking tone despite having plexis for days and custom shops strats
>>
>>27747080
>100s of hours
it takes roughly 10,000 hours to get actually good at a skill like guitar playing.
also, not all 'practice' is equal, you can waste a lot of time just pissing around if you're not disciplined and practising correctly.
helps to also have some way to put your skills to use right now, like playing with others or collaborating on some tracks online, not just wait to suddenly into a rock star once you get 'good enough'.
>>
>want to make le cool electronic music
>end up making the weirdest shit

It's better this way desu
>>
File: ronnie-james-dio.jpg (55 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
ronnie-james-dio.jpg
55 KB, 200x200
>>27747080
That's because you probably practice the same shit over and over again

>oh, let me play Master of Puppets again, it's cool
>power chord, power chord, slide
>oh, let me play these chords again, they'll make a cool indie song for sure!!

You evolve by practicing things like finger independence, harmony and theory, playing in time, and actually playing with soul, not just technical shit of "look how faaaast I play"

nah man, you have to practice what you don't want to practice and what you consider "hard" or "boring", and play them with emotion, not just technically.

Then you don't actually suck.
>>
>>27748712
literally nothing is wrong with power chords
>>
>>27748712

>finger independence
That comes on it's own.
>theory
Nobody gives a fuck and most guys who are really into theory can't write music for shit because it's all the same cookie cutter crap they were taught
>playing in time
Kinda important but it's mostly the drum/bass's job to do that, not the guitar.
>playing with soul
This is the most important in expressing yourself.
>>
File: squat guy.png (6 KB, 416x336) Image search: [Google]
squat guy.png
6 KB, 416x336
>tfw my dreams of greatness died long ago and now my only dream is to have at least somewhat normal life
>tfw its probably just as unlikely to happen
>>
>>27748769
Do nothing but them and you'll sound boring and cliche

>>27748783
>most guys who are really into theory can't write music for shit because it's all the same cookie cutter crap they were taught
Music theory is about knowing what you are doing, not what you have to do, nothing is forcing you to follow it completely, Guthrie Govan's a great exemple of that.

>Kinda important but it's mostly the drum/bass's job to do that, not the guitar.
This is so fucking wrong, it's everyone's job to play in time, if you don't do it, you'll sound like an amateur, that's like bending a note in tune, it's crucial to sound good, and you'll sound like a caricature of a blues lawyer if you play the pentatonic and bend out of tune over it.

You sound like the complete exemple of the bad, self taught guitarist.
>>
>>27748783
>Nobody gives a fuck and most guys who are really into theory can't write music for shit because it's all the same cookie cutter crap they were taught

lol no, that's just a shit musician who knows theory

>>playing in time

..... the most obvious jarring mistakes made in music are related to rhythm and timing. a fucking 4 year old can tell if you aren't in sync with the rhythm.
>>
File: ozzy.jpg (1007 KB, 2000x1922) Image search: [Google]
ozzy.jpg
1007 KB, 2000x1922
>>27748783
>finger independence comes on it's own
not necessarily. There's people that are self taught guitarists that have played for years and still have a it of flying fingers

>theory means the same combinations
It's your job to combine them in a way that makes you express the thoughts you want to convey

>playing in time is the drums job
The drums keep time, it's your job to play along.
IF you do your own thing outside of everyone else, everything will fall apart

I didn't get what you're trying to say with that last part, but yes, soul is important. What's the point of a long, fast, and complicated solo if you felt nothing and just wanted to show off a speed skill?

Example:
https://youtu.be/C-rNLbvKdoE

yeah, it's fast and cool but what's the point if there's no emotion?

on the other hand:
https://youtu.be/KFUW621lgXY

Not even complicated, but you can hear the guitar weep with his emotion.
>>
>>27747181
one day im going to do it.
>>
>>27748712

Its the technical and fast shit that makes you good. Just jamming out and doing what's fun will get you nowhere. You have to push yourself.
>>
>>27748846
Nirvana, the Ramones, and The Misfits are predominately power chords and all sound amazing.
>>
>>27748959
joe pass isn't technical or fast, so that's just wrong

you're just talking about one extreme, the opposite would be someone just hammering away on open chords.
>>
File: kirk-hammet.jpg (63 KB, 369x400) Image search: [Google]
kirk-hammet.jpg
63 KB, 369x400
>>27748959
watch the videos here >>27748927

Everyone can teach themselves to play fast, it really makes a difference to play with passion.

Nobody wants to hear the same, fast, long, complicated crap solo they've been hearing all the time.

Why do all metal bands sound the same now?
because there's no blues influence anymore, much more than just the scales, it's the feeling behind it that makes everything unique.

stand out, and you'll do far more.
>>
File: 1441993582326.jpg (45 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
1441993582326.jpg
45 KB, 409x409
Why are guitar exercises so boring?
If I couldn't read sheet music and play violin stuff it'd honestly die of boredom.

>tfw useless neet and finally getting Kreutzer no.2 to 100bpm and more
>>
>>27749029
i remember when i was 16 and thought like this too

>>27749040
guitar exercises are boring because there is a lot of rote memorization with guitar. on something like a piano it's a much more visually logical instrument, the guitar just isn't anywhere near as logical as a piano, so you need to hammer these scales, positions, shapes, and arpeggios into their heads so it makes it easier to understand how the guitar works
>>
File: Crippled.jpg (8 KB, 200x286) Image search: [Google]
Crippled.jpg
8 KB, 200x286
>>27747715
>he thinks it only takes a couple hundred hours to get good at LoL or DOTA

what a fucking casual
>>
>>27747287
>confirmed for never listening to a clash record

They all played just fine and their composition skills were top notch.
>>
>>27749074
>le ebin 'you're a teenager' maymay
meh, I don't even care anymore.
>>
>>27749116
they were garbage live
>>
>>27747080
Keep doing it hundreds isn't enough.

Best thing you can do is have no goals and just enjoy practise.

Buying a cool practise amp like a spider 2 is gonna keep it fresh.
>>
File: ps3lpfront.jpg (195 KB, 4000x1300) Image search: [Google]
ps3lpfront.jpg
195 KB, 4000x1300
>hundreds of hours playing guitar

Pic related. No wonder you fking suck.
>>
>>27749074
True for standard but a guitar in drop or open c is very logical and pianolike.

Unless you have a faggot tremolo bridge a guitar is a snap to tune as well.
>>
>>27747080
>>tfw my life's dream is to be a rock star
You do realize that you have to be in band? That means communicating with real people. If you dont have social skills you'll never be rock star.
>>
>>27749356
you can make the guitar more logical just by tuning the B and top E up a half step each to C and F to make the guitar tuned perfectly in 4ths, but the problem with that is say bye bye to "organic" fingerings for chords. some players do this, stanley jordan, but he does that because he does his whole two finger tapping stuff.
>>
>>27749134
What difference does that make? Does that somehow detract from the quality of the albums?
>>
File: 1446536819449.jpg (44 KB, 404x405) Image search: [Google]
1446536819449.jpg
44 KB, 404x405
>>27749458

Not that anon but I've been considering going that route. P4 is much more logical and my only reason I'm not going for it is tradition and the fact I play with people whose demand for guitar is "3 bare chords strummed haphazardly".
Not my fault. Eastern Europe and in the rural ass of it.

It even kills the dreaded pentantonic shape.

Hm.

This tuning might just be the way out of it...
>>
File: 1451550533676.jpg (18 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
1451550533676.jpg
18 KB, 399x388
>>27749529

Why the fuck did I post the same pic again.

what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>27749529
it pretty much destroys all of those scale shapes and positional shifts on the top 3 strings, you would have to relearn everything basically.

if you go that route you'll probably stick to more tightly packed in 4 note voicing chords, it will be fine for that. most 5 note and 6 note chords would be extremely awkward though. this is pretty much one of the main reasons the guitar is tuned like this, it makes chords easier to finger.
>>
>>27748979
They're energetic and pioneers of a whole new genre, nobody's going to care about your local hardcore band that doesn't play beyond the 5th fret.
If you break down their songs and look at the guitar parts though, they're uninteresting, the magic doesn't come from the guitar there
>>
>>27749699
bands like those are more about attitude and an image than the music

i guess i can kind of say the same thing about nirvana, kurt was a fucking shit guitarist, but he did come up with some interesting odd melodies with it. heart shaped box is a good example of that
>>
>>27749699
You're kind of dumb. No one is saying those bands are good because of guitar skill and people that do are idiots. They're good (or at least renowned) because of the way they write their songs and the qualities those songs possess or how they broke certain molds or expectations. For Example: Ramones were great because they took the 50's rock and girl group sound, amplified it by a hundred and gave people a simultaneously raw and catchy song. In the wake of what was popular at the time (disco, overblown prog wank, bloated rock star egos and the like) The Ramones made rock music accessible to the young kids again. If you see an interview from anyone who was there (and ended started a band) you'll find the reason they hold the Ramones in such high regard is the same: it made them believe they could start a band and put out records and they didn't need to conform to the stereotypes of radio rock to do that. Not to mention Joey has a hell of a way with writing vocal hooks.

Sorry if that's a little muddled, I'm running late for something and I just wanted to get that out.
>>
>>27750083
I never spoke about their songs, only about their guitar playing, you're getting worked up about nothing.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.