[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JUST END MY LIFE CANADA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10
File: supreme-court-of-canada.jpg (205 KB, 1200x795) Image search: [Google]
supreme-court-of-canada.jpg
205 KB, 1200x795
Rumours say Canada's assisted-dying legislation will place greater restrictions on access than previously recommended by the parliamentary committee:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/doctor-assisted-death-legislation-1.3526542

Supposedly both "mature minors" and those suffering from dementia will be excluded, and greater restrictions will be placed on those suffering from psychological illnesses. We won't for sure until the legislation in introduced, possibly next week.

Which of you autists is also waiting for this legislation to come into effect so he can end his miserable existence?
>>
The good news is, there's still no clear indication autism will be excluded as a condition that makes one eligible for euthanasia. Also, there's a good chance any restriction the government does try to introduce would fail a court challenge, since the Supreme Court has declared assisted dying a Charter right (and thus applicable to all Canadians without discrimination).
>>
One of the commenters suggests Trudeau is promising restrictions knowing they'll be shot down in court, simply to be able to say to his supporters that the government tried. (Apparently a poll has found most Canadians are against offering euthanasia to the mentally ill, an absurd position in my opinion.)
>>
>>27737265
>greater restrictions will be placed on those suffering from psychological illnesses
sorry anon this excludes you.
>>
>>27737653
I don't think we know that yet. Autism is a development disorder, not a mental illness as people normally think of.

Plus we have yet to see what the restrictions are and how well they will stand up to court challenges. I haven't lost hope yet.
>>
>>27737737
you're a development disorder anon. Autism is definitely a mental disorder. Most people on here don't even have autism like they claim, they either have a very mild form of it or are literally just terrible at communicating as they barely do it anyway.
>>
>>27737837
Whatever. You're just jealous because I'll be marching into the hospital on June 6th to receive the Rolls Royce of suicide methods, paid for and everything.

Enjoy your existence, lifecuck.
>>
>be born into a world you don't want to be in
>legally obligated to see it through to the end
I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS
>>
File: 1429777685151.jpg (35 KB, 696x785) Image search: [Google]
1429777685151.jpg
35 KB, 696x785
I'm really conflicted.

On one hand, I don't see a problem with suicide, but the idea of the state saying, "Yep, you're fucked, we'll help you check out" is disgusting to me.

I can't explain it.
>>
>>27738062
could still be cheaper than all of the work that needs to be done to investigate and clean up a regular suicide. making it more of an official process to go through could persuade people mid-way too
>>
>>27738117
*could dissuade people mid-way
>>
>>27738117
Yes, and it's been found just knowing the option to check out is available whenever they want it actually motivates people to push on a bit farther.

Really it's a great thing and I'd be happy if the government extended suicide-on-demand to everyone, with a cooling-off period to keep people from doing it impulsively. If your work here is done or life was never for you in the first place, why wait?
>>
>>27738117

I think I know what it is. By marking out who and who can't commit suicide, they're effectively saying that some people aren't able to live fulfilling lives.

It's like a modern day purging of undesirables.

Either allow any suicidal person to commit suicide, or no one.
>>
>>27738196
>It's like a modern day purging of undesirables.

I wish this were the case. Or rather, I hope it will be. I have a feeling everyone involved will fight this tooth and nail.
>>
>>27738062
It is the fact the humans should want to live, and try to make the world a better place for each other, creating an entire legal framework that says it's absolutely fine if you want to kill yourself because of potentially treatable mental problems is incredibly dark. It's what cults do. It's like if a cult had a legal framework that preyed on the disadvantaged, "I mean, you do want this, right?"

The thing that really annoys me about it is that it will affect people who don't have or who never had a chance to succeed, or who were to poor to actually enjoy life, it's incredibly fucked up when you have multi-millionaires enjoying the hell out of their life while someone suffering with a mental illness is considering suicide -- and the State is ok with that.
>>
>>27739462
ok with allowing them to do it, and potentially hand-holding them toward their decision. It seems to be a part of the general vibe I'm getting from all sorts of institutions that would prefer to sit on their hands, being bought out, working for the advantaged while shitting on, harming, or now - outright killing the disadvantaged.
>>
>>27739462
But the thing is, people who are seriously considering suicide have already been rejected by society. It's not like if we refuse to offer them a merciful death they'll just wander off and be welcomed in with open arms somewhere else, have lots of friends and lovers, etc.

To my mind offering "defectives" a smooth passage out of this life is one of the most merciful things a government can do---so merciful, in fact, I can still hardly believe this is actually coming to Canada.

Not everyone is destined to win at life. Once it's obvious you've lost, why should you be forced to stick around?
>>
you know you can come to oregon and do that
>>
>>27739514
But Society shouldn't say, "Well, you failed, so we'll see you out."

It should focus on trying to break down the societal prejudices that keep people down, even the invisible ones like perpetuating a cycle where lonely are further alienated.
>>
>>27739514
Because fuck that, basically.
>>
>>27739514
>>27739557
I need you guys here, man. I don't want to live in a world with a bunch of happy, mindless cunts who all sound and look the same while basically leading anyone who is different to the suicide booth, I mean fuck that.
>>
>>27739514
Because it'll never get any better once you're dead.

Unless you're terminally ill and in incredible amounts of pain, you shouldn't need to kill yourself.

There's always the chance that things could get better, especially if you have a disease.

The State should not say that people who are enfeebled or in anyway socially undesirable or disadvantaged are right when they think that they'd be better off dead. If you say that, you're reinforcing that thought process.
>>
>>27739552
>It should focus on trying to break down the societal prejudices that keep people down

Ay yay yay man, don't tell me you've fallen for the SJW meme.

Society is the way it is for a reason. It will never change. Thinking otherwise is lunacy (cf. feminists). Might is right, the strong prey on the weak, only 20% of men are attractive, etc. You can't just will this stuff away.

There will always be losers. The question is simply, to what extent will they be made to suffer?
>>
>>27739614
>The State should not say that people who are enfeebled or in anyway socially undesirable or disadvantaged are right when they think that they'd be better off dead.

But society itself says this every single day in the way these people are treated. Why should the government disagree, especially if the person has reached the same conclusion themselves?
>>
>>27739623
The whole idea of organizing a society and progressing as a society is to minimize unhappiness and poverty and maximize happiness and free will. It is of course your right to kill yourself, but killing yourself because you feel the state is supporting it and that you're a "loser" is fucking stupid. And in my mind we lose another potential great mind that works against all this normie bullshit
>>
>>27739663
Have you read Brave New World?
>>
>>27739706
No, not yet.

Fuck's sake, Mutebot, how am I supposed to answer him?
>>
>>27739722
You should start, it answers that question perfectly
>>
>>27739663
Because a Society should struggle against its chains at all times, no matter how tightly they bind it.

You have to stir the contented beast, or it will never change, and worse yet, it will never even attempt to change.

When you give outcasts and the undesirable an easy way out, one which you implicitly support and push for, you give in and let stagnation have full rein.

When you give up, you give up everything you could have ever had to them, and, furthermore, you bolster their idea that people like you shouldn't be alive.

Legalize Suicide, but don't do it arbitrarily for people you deem as needing the option, because that is toxic.
>>
Alright. I find it interesting what you guys are saying. My personal position is that I am tired of the constant rejection from society and tired of the effort of trying and getting nowhere, and I can't think of a single thing left for me to work towards that would make living worthwhile. I'm finished with my life, so I want out.

Realistically once euthanasia is legalized here in Canada, any restrictions the government tries to impose will probably fall away pretty quickly as they are challenged in court. So the most likely situation here is, euthanasia for everyone. The government is not likely to end up targeting specific groups or anything like that.

I just think if we're going to call ourselves a "compassionate" society, part of that ought to include making a peaceful suicide available to anyone who sincerely requests it. It makes me angry to see the number of people in this country who are speaking out AGAINST the upcoming euthanasia law, as though they feel entitled to force someone ELSE to suffer against their will.

Finally A Brave New World has been on my list for a while so I'll move it up to the top. Thanks for the reco.
>>
File: 1456186634433.gif (914 KB, 290x198) Image search: [Google]
1456186634433.gif
914 KB, 290x198
>>27739827
Excuse me if probablies don't quite cut it in this matter.
>>
I find it odd that this place considers suicide a necessity when the inept can't make it, but don't want government or society to freely say suicide is acceptable
>>
>>27740222
I'm of the latter opinion, but not of the former. I think it is just the overall effect of all the voices on the board
>>
>>27739552
Gp suck an aids ridden dick sjw.
>>
>>27740222
It's a personal thing.

People don't want to be told they're right for wanting to die, they want a reason to keep living.

When the state says, 'Yep, you're totally right in thinking we';d all be better off without you" you get mad.
>>
>>27737837
I'll take I Dont Know What I'm Talking About for 700$, Allen.

You cant have a mild case of autism. You either have it or you don't. The rest of what you said is nonsense, and you have no proof.
>>
>Canada is literally killing itself

These fucks should have been taken over and destroyed years ago. Too bad they live next to America.

I wish we'd embrace our Roman heritage and shove our 300 Trillion dollar a year jackboot up their smug ass, then maybe they'd know trouble.

If people in the third world can find a reason to keep living, so can a few bored Canadians.
>>
Why are there so many restrictions on suicide? Why can't people just kill themselves if they want to?
>>
>>27740517
Well, they can. It's legal in Canada and in most other first-world countries I believe.

It's getting access to a reliable, pain-free and safe (for others) method that's difficult. This is what the upcoming euthanasia legislation promises.
>>
What a paradox.

We pray to God, that all life is valuable, that everyone is loved.

Then we turn around and worship physical beauty, ignore anyone with the slightest hints of ugliness, and try to find "solutions" for people who are severely deformed.

Its a cruel world and nearly everyone deserves to suffer for their hypocrisy.
>>
File: 1459918378901.jpg (138 KB, 1350x648) Image search: [Google]
1459918378901.jpg
138 KB, 1350x648
>>27740437
We both know once this law passes there'll be a whole industry around smuggling Americans across the border so they can off themselves up here at our expense. Same way you burger vacuums sneak across to steal our healthcare.
>>
>>27739514
>>27739552
>>27739686
>>27739740

All of this all right here.

The people who kill themselves could be the last of their kind.

Someone who has a gene that offers a new perspective on what it means to be human... and we are asking them to die because they didn't it by TODAY'S standards.

Who the fuck wrote Greek philosophies? Was it the beautiful women and chads of the past? No. It was the outcasts, the misunderstood, the rejected.

We shouldn't be euthanize these people. Instead we should be selecting the most unfortunate in society to have access to the latest medical technology (cosmetic, psychiatric, physical) that might actually do something in the way of changing their position in life.

We have the ability to do that, more so as time moves on, but instead we are "solving" it the easy way. All because its "too hard" to break the status quo, have REAL JUSTICE in this world, instead of letting people go on pretending it is just.

Watching people die like this is like watch my allies, my friends, being shot.
>>
>>27740612
We like in an entirely un-Christian world, you dunce.
>>
>>27740759
I like the idea behind what you're saying. But I just can't bring myself to share your optimism.

Sometimes life just doesn't work out, bramalang.
>>
>>27740612
No I'm no dunce dude.. many religions believe in God: Judaism, Buddhism (some sects), Islam, Hinduism. The reality is that most of the world believes in God.

And yet here we are.

I think deep down to most of the world: the existence of God is irrelevant. Most people don't actually EXPECT intervention. We just feel "blessed" when life is working for us, and then when it isn't, we reject gods existence.

There is no consistency. We have too much evidence to believe the world is governed by anything other than physical forces.

Literally every night deep down, that part of me that still hopes, hopes. But I know there are others who have it worse than me. I don't know how they cope.
>>
>>27740931

>Literally every night deep down, that part of me that still hopes, hopes.

Could you clarify this for me. You hope for what? That people will recognise God, or that there is a God, or that he will intervene?

Please elaborate on your comments, I'm genuinely interested (not the anon you're responding to, btw).
>>
>>27737265
To each his own, but this will inevitably lead to a society that pressures its failures to engage in this... Treatment. Even if they're happy to flip burgers and hallucinate their whole lives.

It also sends the signal that if you're not a normie, you have a moral imperative to let them do this to you.
>>
>>27740759
>All because its "too hard" to break the status quo, have REAL JUSTICE in this world, instead of letting people go on pretending it is just.

Well you also get into a debate of whatever reason people have to be suicidal over is justification for it or not. If someone feels like they are a drain on their families resources and don't really have the drive to get better would suicide be a bad choice? What if someone feels like they were born with a disadvantage not in intellect or physical ability but socially? I mean shit, look at Japan, high suicide rate AND low birth rate.

It's sad people want to because there is unseen potential each person has they can give to the world, but if modern society doesn't give a fuck why should "they"? This can go two ways:

1. Society wises the fuck up and realizes there are bigger problems than what reality star is doing with her life and start fixing reasons people feel suicidal.
or
2. >>27740982
>>
>>27739623
>There will always be losers. The question is simply, to what extent will they be made to suffer?
Here lies the real problem: you are both blaming society for your problems AND expecting society to provide you with happiness. I have legitimate problems and are one of the likely minority here with real severe clinical depression and anxiety issues but even I am aware that my issues are my own and the only way I can ever hope to really comes to terms with the ups and downs of what it is to be alive is to accept the circumstances and slowly but surely over many years build up a sense of self that is able to fail without the kneejerk response of ending up losing weeks and months of progress.

The kicker is that people can't make you suffer. Only you can make you suffer.
A think a lot of robots are unable to get beyond their red-pill rage period and really begin to look towards going their own way.
This is worth a listen to, because it is modern enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc50qOxdn5s
You seem really caught up on the ideal of being caught up on things. You're going to die no matter how hard you try, and that is your own shot at being able to die, so you may as well try to enjoy what you can for a long as you can because life isn't like a party you can leave early and spend the rest of your night enjoying a pizza and masturbating to Japanese junior idols. It's just the party: once you leave, that's it.
>>
File: 1418347773288.jpg (116 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1418347773288.jpg
116 KB, 1280x720
>The world has gotten to the point that countries are literally prescribing Quietus so people don't have to live in the politically-correct degenerate hell normies have made for them

I had to check OP to see if this was satire. This is actually a thing in Canada? I guarantee if they just had nurses dedicated to giving blowjobs when people feel that miserable, nobody would want this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYy80trSPSI
>>
>>27740824
>Sometimes life just doesn't work out, bramalang.
The most famous living physicist is a fucking crippled who can't even pull his own dick.

Life is still unfolding till the moment it stops.
>>
File: 1379781604658.png (191 KB, 337x499) Image search: [Google]
1379781604658.png
191 KB, 337x499
>>27737265
The secularism that leads to this kind of shit is the real mental illness.
>>
>>27741053
he also just happens to be a genius
>>
It is really interesting that with so many potential policies the government could implement to improve the quality of life of people considering this, they instead decide to focus their efforts on making this possible.

Is it a coincidence that Canada is a highly feminist country, where 4 men kill themselves to every 1 woman - and this is where they're heading?
>>
>>27741068
>he also just happens to be a genius
Who can't even wipe his own arse and will never feel the pleasure of something so simple as taking off his socks after wearing shoes all day and stretching over a bed.

You're still blaming everyone else for your own problems.
>>
>>27741057
This has nothing to do with a lack of religion in government. Preach elsewhere you piece of shit.
>>
>>27741080
>implying life is valuable
what's wrong with this option? it's good that they're making suicide easier. more countries should follow
>>
>>27741042
>>27741080

OP here.

To be clear, this began as a response to people suffering terribly from a terminal illness who wanted a way to end their suffering before it became too great.

It so happens the Supreme Court worded its decision in a manner broad enough to include people who are suffering from a non-terminal illness or disability as well, and I am hoping to leverage a (yet to be obtained) autism diagnosis to end my life early.

It's natural to question the government's motives but I realize I've made this sound a little more sinister than it really is. People are not actually walking into hospitals to get killed in Canada.
>>
>>27741107
>it's good that they're making suicide easier.
Suicide is already "easy" as fuck for the majority of the planet. If someone really wants to kill themselves enough, they can.
>>
>>27741145
>Suicide is already "easy" as fuck
Come on, that's simply not true. People are forced to resort to complicated, painful or violent (and usually unreliable) methods and cannot run the risk of involving anyone else in any way. There is nothing easy about killing yourself on your own.
>>
>>27741101
Actually, it does. Not a single western religion accept suicide.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.