[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We are the modern-day superfluous man. "The superfluous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Eugene_Onegin_illustration.jpg (533 KB, 873x876) Image search: [Google]
Eugene_Onegin_illustration.jpg
533 KB, 873x876
We are the modern-day superfluous man.

"The superfluous man is a Russian literary concept that refers to an individual, perhaps talented and capable, who does not fit into social norms. In most cases, this person is born into wealth and privilege. Typical characteristics are disregard for social values, cynicism, and existential boredom; typical behaviors are gambling, romantic intrigues, and duels. He is often unempathetic and carelessly distresses others with his actions.

Russian critics such as Vissarion Belinsky viewed the superfluous man as a by-product of Nicholas I's reactionary reign, when the best educated men would not enter the discredited government service and, lacking other options for self-realization, doomed themselves to live out their life in passivity. Scholar David Patterson describes the superfluous man as "not just...another literary type but...a paradigm of a person who has lost a point, a place, a presence in life" before concluding that "the superfluous man is a homeless man"."
>>
>>27722268
Interesting

Originally short and sweet reply
>>
>>27722268
Notes from the Underground is basically the robot manifesto
>>
An original bump for interest
>>
>>27722268
>born into wealth and privilege
> typical behaviors are gambling, romantic intrigues, and duels

not really to be h
>>
>>27722268
>born into wealth and privilege

I can see the rest of the parallels though I think you may be selling robots a bit higher than we actually are.
>>
>>27722268

Bitch. And I said

He's not wrong.

"Pretty much he's just saying at the end the famous "It's only after we've lost everything, is when we're free to do anything."

that boredom part is a tricky one but not sure if I can put myself with the rest."

You know you the same person ;)
>>
>>27722700
Yeah.. the only thing I do is working like a Dog...
>>
>>27722700
Kek... the only duels i do is Yugioh Duels.....
>>
>>27722268

I've read A Hero of Our Time and I guess Pechorin was sort of like the people here, except successful and not a huge whiny wimp.
>>
>In most cases, this person is born into wealth and privilege

i wish
>>
And in the end, nothing changes.
We will still post about how shit are lives are
We will still post about >tfw no gf
We will still post about anxiety and depression
Women will still disregard us
It's a romantic description of being a robot, without all the cons.
It changes nothing man.
>>
>>27722268
Anyone wonders how Russia would appear today with Tsar regime still running and not overthrown?
>>
>>27722785
In the modern world you don't have to be rich
>>
The internet provides a window into the lives of millions of broken men around the world. Reddit's r/ForeverAlone is a good introduction to the underground world of invisible broken men. Here you'll find a digital museum of dying men, wasting away in a decentralized prison camp of their own making. But if you truly wish to gaze into the abyss, read some clippings from the 4Chan r9k forum

These men are beasts in human skin: unemployed, unloved, surviving on social assistance, family support, or inheritances; waking up every day and playing video games, masturbating, watching cartoons, and sharing their lives, such as they are, with each other on internet forums. Many will never escape. They will hide in their rooms, dying one day at a time, while the years and decades slip by. Is their fate less tragic than being roasted alive in a tank - or more?

Thesis: millions of young western men are suffering from a crisis of spirit that is morally comparable to genocide.

Their dying is less painful, but slower and more dehumanizing. By allowing this massacre to occur on their watch, Western governments are as morally culpable as Mao and Stalin. Pickaxes to the forehead, mass starvation, poisoned wells, firing squads - all these are the crude, low-tech, messy and obvious tools of 20th century genocides. Why go through the trouble of actually killing people, when you can persuade them to do it on their own?

Is it crass to compare hunger with spiritual deprivation? The end result is the same. Human life require meaning and narrative, as much as food and water. Deprive a man of food and you'll kill him; deprive a man of meaning, and you'll persuade him to kill himself.

http://www.thumotic.com/the-killing-fields-of-the-21st-century/

original blox
>>
>>27722652
This, also read Oblomov by Goncharov

A huge chunk of Russian literature is NEET-like stuff
>>
>>27725410
Lol, a bunch of sexist, racist, angry children paint themselves as undergoing a holocaust. This is classic, /pol/ logic achieved.

But seriously, we currently have a serious spritual, cultural, economic, crises on our hands, and the answer is changing those systems. Robots are just a system of mass alienation, and also victims of their own toxic culture.

Equality of genders, universal basic income, taxing the rich, labour automation, education overhaul to actually teach people to live, be community oriented, and be free, building actual communities and having political involvement, etc.

Nothing will change though if you all just sit at home and do as this article says you do. Therein lies the beauty of possibility, sure you're all pathetic, but a million pathetic people can change socirty.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.