[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did any of you robots had a special talent that just never materialized
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15
File: 1457583697094.jpg (91 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1457583697094.jpg
91 KB, 600x800
Did any of you robots had a special talent that just never materialized due to you being a robot?

>be great at soccer as a kid in middle school

>friends say I would one day be a pro

>go to a training camp 1st year of high school for one of the best clubs in my state and impress with a goal and an assist

>never went through with it due to being insecure about myself and not having any friends there to support me

>decide to just go the school route

>currently am fucking up in college as a second year

I could have been a great player but life cursed me
>>
Yeah I'm technically good too but I just can't run enough
>>
sucks man

thankfully most people are just average no talent losers so they never feel bad about not living up to high expectations

Although I guess you could say that most robots have failed to live up to even the lowest of expectations like "go outside" or "get a job" or "have any sort of social life"
>>
>>27718817
True. But knowing you're past the age where you can dream kills me
>>
File: vrveEF9.jpg (139 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
vrveEF9.jpg
139 KB, 1080x1080
>>27719040
you can still dream about things like a family or a woman that loves you that's probably not going to pan out either
>>
>>27718744
It's actually due to my being sick from 16 to 20, but I was pretty smart for my age. Especially in finance and economics. I wanted to be an investment banker growing up.

Well, to put it bluntly, I write erotica for a living now and live a life of semi-neethood. Such is life.
>>
>>27719066
you realize you can still go to college to be an investment banker right?

It's not like there's an age limit.
>>
>>27719090
I don't have the physical constitution to do a job like that. I've also given up on it. It's not something that still appeals to me on any real level other than a monetary one. Also, it would be a joke for me to get into a college. I had to drop out of high school. Got a GED but still. I don't feel like wasting my money on community college.

I like writing. I'll try to get into romance where the truly big bucks are.
>>
>>27718744
I was a fucking natural at hockey, we had a game of hockey in middle school, they took us to this ice skating place as one of our trips for physical education class, they had us play hockey with other kids that had been playing for years and i fucking destroyed them. They asked me how long i had been playing and it was my first time. There was a lot of nigger kids in my class and their making fun of the sport and disapproval made me pretend like i didn't enjoy my time there. I should have joined a team or something.

Now i'm too out of shape to do any sport really.

I was pretty good at gymnastics related things too, but when i was like in elementary school.

I could have been great too OP but i made dumb decisions.
>>
>>27719066
>Well, to put it bluntly, I write erotica for a living now and live a life of semi-neethood. Such is life.

Curious about this, how long are your stories and how much do you make? I'm guessing you sell on amazon.
>>
I was really good at online poker back in the day. Stopped pursuing it and am a broke NEET.
>>
>You should be a comedian, anon!
>y-you too
>>
>>27718744

Could sing pretty well.

Did choral all years of elementary, although I feel puberty fucked me over by sending me from sorprano, to alto, and finally baritone. Nobody else in my class really took music seriously, so I had plenty of time to myself mess around with bells and other instruments, and would always play key and "hard parts" during concerts.

When high school started, whole social settings changed, and I just couldn't bring myself to get back into it with all the proto-normies and cliques running around and trying to shit up drama with one another. Did pick up some recording and sound mixing during that time, but I always set stuff up by myself and only involved others when it came time for actual recording.

I guess writing too. Used to seriously read and write a ton, but eventually realized I'd never care to share it with anyone, and my interest in it just died.
>>
>>27719345
I aim for 7500 words each. But 5k - 10k is pretty much the general range for shorts. Novellas which are basically everything from 20k to 40k are longer lasting but I don't write them. I plan on transitioning to the larger romance market for that. The money is better after a while and your sales last for pretty much ever at some rate, unlike erotica.

I make between $1k and 1.4k every month. Granted, this is after the KU2 update which fucked over erotica authors big time. A couple years ago, that was what you could expect to make 2 or 3 months in and all the way up to five-figures a month after 8 months. But Amazon cut down on that after a while. They want to maximize their cut and that's what happened. Erotica is now basically a gateway and learners sandpit for romance. Oh well. Still fun to write.
>>
>>27719252
>listening to what niggers think

You really did dun fuck up there anon.
>>
>>27718805

There are lots of professional players like this. You should've pursued it.
>>
File: 127.gif (315 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
127.gif
315 KB, 500x275
>Be really good at specific computer game
>Want to take it to a higher level
>Can't find any team to play with due to my shit personality
>Have a hard time finding people to play casually with as well
>The only ones who can put up with me aren't nearly as good and only play with me so I can carry them
>Still enjoy their company, but know deep down that I will never achieve my dreams and that they wouldn't play with me if I wasn't good
>>
>>27719569
>>27719252
The exact same thing happened to me, except with asian and black kids. We had to play hockey during PE and I was really good at it, like destroying everyone. Eventually they all just stopped trying and stood around because they weren't interested in the game then we moved on to another sport.
>>
File: 1417992775587.gif (169 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
1417992775587.gif
169 KB, 500x278
>tfw all the American Messis, Gretzkys, Jordans we could have had, had you robots been supported by a group of friends

>tfw all the robots who showed promised are eventually led to nowhere
>>
>>27718744

Born working class (non-Amerifag) but pretty good computer programmer.

Literally came top of my class at technically-focussed university, literally 100% on my finals project.

Took military (officer) job to pay off debt.

Literally 6 years of writing emails and saying yes sir. Three down, three to go!

Chugga chugga woo woo patriotism...
>>
>Ran non-stop as a kid
>wanted to be a good runner when I got older
>5th grade my parents divorce
>I lose a race
>How? All I do is train. Must be diet
>I become anorexic in pursuit of unrealistic expectations

That's my story I guess. I was never too naturally talented though
>>
File: 1410926077824.jpg (63 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1410926077824.jpg
63 KB, 645x773
>draw since I was a kid
>become professional illustrator
>things are going good have a "carreer" of sorts
>depressed since I was a kid, depression hits harder when I was 24
>slowly drop everything
>anything I draw looks shit to me
>getting less and less work because I think im shit and turn down jobs
>drop everything all together 3 years ago
>havent touched the paper since then
>30 years old
>>
>>27719865
>Figure diet is the problem
>Start eating worse instead of better
Sorry but that made me kek a bit.
Can't blame you though, kids usually don't research enough.

>>27720359
It's never too late to start again anon.
Being aware of your harsh standards should give you a better perspective.
>>
>>27720425
>Being aware of your harsh standards should give you a better perspective.
thats what I thought too but its literally what destroyed me

the only things ive done which I didnt hate in the past years are some pepes and thats only because no one knows it was me who made em and there where no expectations
>>
>>27720359
/ic/ please go away
>>
>>27719611
If you were really good your shit personality wouldn't matter.

I used to play cs:s in cal main, if anybody remembers that, and our team put up with raging autists who were good.
>>
>>27720359
I always loved your work Lance.
>>
>>27718744
dat ass doe

Oriignal
>>
>>27718744
>>27720661
We all know what its like to pound away in a girl but what's it like to be the one being pounded?
>>
>>27720679

> we all know
> r9k

I think not friend

(I have a girlfriend, but many don't. let's not fuck with them)
>>
File: 1459314884790.png (66 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1459314884790.png
66 KB, 512x512
I'm good at music (naturally gifted, apparently) and took to guitar, drums and piano with ease. Though I can play a lot of stuff if I'm tasked with doing so, composing my own stuff comes a lot harder. I suppose it's a kind of music autism, in that while my technique is probably decent, I lack a crucial component which brings it all together in my head when I try my hand at original material.

I can kind of write as well, I suppose. I've finished a couple of short films and have a script for a TV series almost done. This stuff was fairly average overall, though. I haven't got the energy or motivation to pursue writing seriously. It takes a lot of dedication to be in "writing mode" all day every day, everywhere you go.
>>
>>27720612
It's more like I have trouble connecting with people.
You also don't put up with raging autists if you are at the same skill level as them.

>>27720452
It's true that having expectations can kill a lot of talents.
There can never be enough pepes though.
>>
>>27718744
Is that spoony?
>>
>>27720819
We put up with great fraggers with autism or anger issues a lot. My point is if you were actually good, many teams would over look your personality and find you a spot on the team.

I'll never forget this kid spirit slasher. Some French Canadian autist who was such a pompous asshole, but he was really good. We all hated him, but we needed a baiting fragger type on the team. After matches and scrims, we would go to a different vent, go offline on steam and play tf2 without him. Kinda fucked up, but he was an asshole so I didn't care.
>>
>>27720951
Of course there have been teams who have done that, we are basically saying the same thing.
What I'm saying is that I would have been able to play in much better teams if I had better social skills. The same goes for the guy you're talking about.
There are a lot of professional players who never quite make it due to their shitty personalities.
>>
>>27718744
>Shy kid but I am really good at basketball I would play with other kids from church
>Can shoot hoops from where ever I stand
>Want to play with older kids because I wanted a challenge
>Some nigger lets me play against him and some other kids
>Winning
>He trips me over and I fall flat on my face
>Don't say anything to him and walk off
>Calls me a loser
>Next week at church nigger approaches me and asks me to be on his team
>I am too scared and run away
>Never play again, don't even shoot hoops on my own
>>
>>27721166
why bro?
just why

this whole thread feels like /waste potential general/

im sure a lot of the posts are exagerations but still, it looks like there are a lot of talented robots out there who lack a support system of some sorts..and I cant put my finger on what that support system would be.

Could be parents of course or friends but I feel like a lot of people ITT would've disregarded them. I would. So which is the best support system?
>>
>>27721226
>So which is the best support system?
Surrounding yourself with good people.
>>
>>27721250
personally I was surrounded by the best people and the results were the same

I think an anonymous /r9k/ type circlejerk is better. most of us have issues. when you have issues your reality gets distorted, you may have tons of good people around but once your morale drops you can easily start translating the support of the people around you as "biased" like "theyre just saying that shit so I dont feel bad cause they like me"

but an anonymous medium is way more honest

personally I would easier take anonymous advice or encouragement because those people dont have anything to "gain" by it. theyre just being honest and straight forward
>>
>>27721226
Like you said, no support and no one to notice me.
That's why my life has gone to shit, because no one cares about me or what I do.
>>
>>27721366
>That's why my life has gone to shit, because no one cares about me or what I do.
YOU notice you and YOU care what you do. You do that shit so that you feel better and if you succeed the attention of others comes as a by-product man
>>
>>27721336
That depends on how you define good people.
Sometimes anonymous people are the best for you.
>>
>>27721391
I tried that but it always comes back to my childhood and because I was so shy I never tried anything else after I was put down multiple times.
My parents never encouraged me either so it's difficult when I have tried and nothing has worked.
>>
>>27721419
thats literally my point
>>27721463
I think a lot of us here have fallen for the trap of doing things for others. Most sucesful people do shit for themselves and when they become accomplished the rest of the world recognizes it. But we're victims of cultural instant gratification.
Gratification shouldnt even enter the equation. You do shit so YOU feel better and proud of yourself
>>
File: Cyclops_headshot.jpg (10 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops_headshot.jpg
10 KB, 320x240
>>27721512
>thats literally my point
Yeah, I was showing that I'm agreeing with you.
>>
File: 14598504536.jpg (18 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
14598504536.jpg
18 KB, 500x461
>>27721552
and I, with you
>>
Used to be good at sucking cock but that was 14 years ago. Now I probably lost all skill. That guy told me I gave good head.
>>
>>27721945
That's just something guys say so you'll do it more often.
You're only real good if you give him blackouts when he cums.
>>
>>27718744
Life is cruel. It shaped you into the kind of person who would turn down that opportunity. I'm sorry things turned out that way for you. Try to make the best of things and don't dwell on the past.
>>
>>27721166
Same
>shy kid always shooting hoops
>kids at school want final team member for recess
>no one passes to me so rebound and drive by myself
> hit fade away from the 3 point
>team starts passing to me
>gym teacher helps sign me up for the team
>play forward for years win state in junior high
>growth spurt 6 foot 3 in freshman year
>get spot on varsity and get better win games
>game before state try a reverse alley oop
> broke leg and tore acl
> can't even watch basketball without getting depressed
>>
I was naturally a fast runner so when I trained on the cross country and track team I was able to get pretty fast. I ended up quitting both teams though because I couldn't make friends and felt that I was an awkward burden to the rest of the team because they were all like one big family.
>>
ITT
>Have a potentional good career
>Start being emo and self hating
>Ruin your future
>Waaaaaah god hates me
>>
File: why.jpg (27 KB, 586x330) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
27 KB, 586x330
>>27718744
Naturally very talented at cricket. I became a good all-rounder (if you don't know the game it means I could do both major roles well - batting and bowling) in no time and got on the state team half way into my first season.

I stopped playing because my autism and extreme competitiveness meant I got absolutely furious with myself every time I didn't do something absolutely perfectly even though it's completely unreasonable to expect to be remotely good at that game after only 6 months.

Delivery lands a few cm to the left of where I wanted it to? Furious with myself. Get caught out after only getting 50 runs because my foot work wasn't excellent on my on drive? Absolutely rage-filled.

I had so much potential and just threw it away because I'm a retard.
>>
>>27719066
>I wanted to be an investment banker growing up.
Said no kid ever. Seriously, how old were you when you decided this?
>>
>>27723023
>strong in math growing up
>praised throughout for problem solving skills
>don't really give a shit lel
>go into workforce after two years of NEET life
>literally everybody is dumb as fuck
>go to college for engineering
>highest grades in program
I'm graduating in three weeks. This is the path of least resistance.
>>
>>27719163
you do realize that it's just sitting at a desk and managing spreadsheets right?
>>
>>27720359
yo, you sound like my homie chuck. don't do that man. keep your head up. and keep it moving.
>>
Nah not really but
>always had no difficulty doing anything
>always told I was above average, smart, talented etc
>eventually get to a time where natural smarts wouldn't cut it
>never was taught to work hard
>feel helpless and give up

jks im probs just lazy to be honest with u
>>
>>27719806
but you still have a skill you are good at. see it like this, you still have 3 years to make a fucking great project with your programming skills and get a better job.

most of us are stuck in a dead end job or living the neet life style.

i was really fucking good at swimming in my younger years. i competed against people who where 3 years older than me (mostly because i was the only one in my age group) and still destroyed them. but then i discovered weed and i got lazy af.
>>
>>27722011
not even a lie
>>
>>27723261
>Start being emo and self hating
>Ruin your future
>*Waaaaaah I hate myself

fixed that for you
>>
I NEED NAME.

That is some PRIME fucking ass right there.
>>
>>27718744
I think I would be an extremely good father as I am a super cool uncle. When it comes to women though I'm clueless.
>>
i was pretty good at hockey when i was a teenager

i stopped playing because puberty hit and i couldn't get up on time for 5am practices. who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to get kids who just hit puberty to get up and get ready BEFORE 5am to go skate on fucking ice?
>>
>wrestled in high school, took it seriously
>I have OCD and Psychosis, too
>besides the illnesses themselves and the thoughts associated with them, wrestling is what stressed me out the most
>even more than school
>I leave school when I'm 17 because of my illnesses, but also because of wrestling
>I don't think I'm healthy enough to do well, and I'd rather have no season than the pain of a bad season, losing match after match that I know I could win
>I could probably deal with being a zombie at school and doing shitty, if that was all
>finishing school by correspondence, check on what's happening in the world of wrestling
>the kid who made it to State from our Section is somebody I know for a fact I can beat handily
>damn it

I've stayed fit and I've been in a lot of fights since HS, which has helped me realize something. It's not about accolades, it's about how good you are at fucking people up. Going to State would've been pretty cool, though, and I get pretty on edge when people talk about wrestling, 2bh
>>
File: 1460116169373.jpg (35 KB, 445x604) Image search: [Google]
1460116169373.jpg
35 KB, 445x604
>wrestled in high school, took it seriously
>I have OCD and Psychosis, too
>besides the illnesses themselves and the thoughts associated with them, wrestling is what stressed me out the most
>even more than school
>I leave school when I'm 17 because of my illnesses, but also because of wrestling
>I don't think I'm healthy enough to do well, and I'd rather have no season than the pain of a bad season, losing match after match that I know I could win
>I could probably deal with being a zombie at school and doing shitty, if that was all
>finishing school by correspondence, check on what's happening in the world of wrestling
>the kid who made it to State from our Section is somebody I know for a fact I can beat handily
>damn it

I've stayed fit and been in a lot of fights since HS, which has helped me realize something. It's not about accolades, it's about how good you are at fucking people up. Going to State would've been pretty cool, though, and I get pretty on edge when people talk about wrestling, 2bh
>>
I'm good at singing (or at least used to be) but hate myself too much and am ugly to do anything with it.
>>
>>27718744
>Want to learn many things as a child
>Ask parents to get me a tutor or something
>Parents shoot down saying it's a waste of money
>Be a good boy and solve 100 more math problems
>>
i guess /r9k/ could be a pretty good ice hockey team. i would pay for a /r9K/ jersey. can anybody design it?
>>
>>27718744
No, you made your own choices and failed at life. True talent is extremely rare and chances are you would be just above average. Also it sounds like you didn't like soccer enough to make it your career. Own your mistakes and stop blaming others for your shortcomings.
>>
>>27724344
and give us some source god damnit
>>
File: 1441044548022.jpg (19 KB, 388x392) Image search: [Google]
1441044548022.jpg
19 KB, 388x392
>>27718744
Not really a special skill but in my speech class my speech teacher pulled me aside told me I had amazing public speaking skills and my delivery was superb.

It doesn't make any sense because I'm a complete social autist. I think they were just telling me this because they felt bad for me but I'll never know.

>mfw not even a normie and got voted most likely to succeed when school was done
>>
File: erogenous.jpg (189 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
erogenous.jpg
189 KB, 1024x576
>Took creative writing in high school
>Teacher tells me i have a knack for it
>Everybody seems to genuinely like the short stories and poems i write
>Have a lot of fun doing it
>towards the end of the year have mandatory art contest thing
>all students from writing, art, and music compete in their own categories
>Win first place
>At end of year teacher tells me she would be disappointed if i never wrote again
>have only written one thing since as a present for aunt which she liked

I just don't know what i would do with anything i write besides show my family. It'd be nice if i could put it somewhere where people would read it then maybe I could find a reason to write again.
>>
>>27724608
you could start with writing again and create backstory for our /r9k/ hockey/sports team
>>
>>27724608
maybe you could write because you enjoy it? you could put it on the internet for everyone to see. tons of people do it and even the most autistic fanfictions get some approval
>>
>>27724797
i don't really pay attention to the sports here

>>27724807
Well everything I write is comedy/absurdity focused so half the fun comes from making myself laugh when i write it but the rest comes from seeing other people laugh when they read it.

Where is a good place on the internet? I would imagine most writing communities are either cringefests or ghosttowns
>>
>>27724924
start a blog or something
>>
File: DDS.jpg (868 KB, 1922x1534) Image search: [Google]
DDS.jpg
868 KB, 1922x1534
>>27720759
Complete opposite for me.

Why bother learning what some chucklefuck made? I was made to learn stuff for piano and clarinet, but when I picked up a guitar I literally just started playing with 0 knowledge, making something I thought sounded good.

Still doing that 4 years later and am playing my first solo show this April. Granted, I'm playing a ritual ambient set, but still.
>>
>start drawing at young age
>get a lot of attention in elementary school with my sketches, making prodigy level realism shit
>spend countless hours drawing stuff from memory, sketches that look like black and white photography
>parents buy me a Playstation during my early teens, stop drawing and start gaming
>cut off all contact with friends, never draw again. More interested in games and hentai
>try drawing again years later, can only make shit doodles

Not like I would've pursued a career in art, but it still sucks.
>>
>>27724021
Shit nigga I'm feeling it
>>
File: sad.png (139 KB, 917x871) Image search: [Google]
sad.png
139 KB, 917x871
>>27718744

Not really robot related, but

>pretty solid at running
>go to a D3 college and get some relatively decent training under my belt
>cruise easily to a 4:30 in the mile and 15:55 in the 5K, 4:30 mile felt like I barely even tried
>however nerve damage in legs that was already present started getting progressively worse
>about 8 months later can't even do 3 miles without keeling over in exhaustion
>next few years are spent getting progressively more and more tired, with key signs of hypothyroidism but no doctor diagnoses me or cares enough to figure out the problem besides running bloodwork
>will probably never figure out how fast I could've gone
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.