[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
~~Seeking advice for depression~~ Hello fellow robots. Off the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: SkypePhoto_20160128_231027.jpg (71 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
SkypePhoto_20160128_231027.jpg
71 KB, 500x281
~~Seeking advice for depression~~

Hello fellow robots. Off the bat I'm gonna say sorry for my bad grammar, English isn't my first language. But anyways, I'm thinking of treating my severe depression and anxiety that I've had for over 4 years now, and every year it gets worse. I did some research on different medicine and see most people saying that it makes things even worse or the sideeffects are really bad. I considered therapy but since I'm a worthless NEET and still live with my parents, neither my parents or I can pay for it. So that's out of the question. I'd really like some friendly advice from someone who might've already gone threw this, like which medicine works best, or maybe I should just avoid treatment and suck it up.
>>
Best piece of advice I can give you - get the fuck off this board if you are trying to better yourself. Seriously. This place will do nothing but bring you down.
>>
Going to school can get your free or subsidized therapy. It can also be a confidence booster. Another option would be to read books about depression.
>>
Treat yourself to deez nuts
>>
>>27716254
I still suffer from manic-depressive disorder but it genuinely has gotten a lot better through steps of self-improvement.

You have to latch on to a motivational mindset and try to become the best version of yourself. If you are a male it's easier because we're more goal/focus oriented than females.

Pills may work for some but the most powerful change comes from a differing perspective through baby steps. Good self esteem and general emotional well-being is a habit, not a trait. You have to train yourself to tolerate good thoughts and push bad thoughts/negativity out the door. Some do not have this foundation that others (such as normies) are blessed to have. Some just don't have positive feedback loops of friends that love them, or parents that root for them.

So it comes to that person to solely create a positivity and optimism with their own mental capacity and it's hard. That's why I suggest baby steps at first. Start with identifying what makes you happy or cheers you up and what potentially brings you down/depresses you.

One way or another you're still a human and humans get raw serotonin and other "happy" chemicals like dopamine through certain actions throughout the day. Not saying that you have to jump up and become a /fit/izen out of nowhere but generally I've found that exercising and getting outside more does in fact help on the chemical side of allotting yourself positive emotions.
>>
>>27716254
I'm on fluoxetine. It's no miracle worker but it helps a lot. Makes me feel a lot more like the person I used to be. I was on Citalopram but it made me too tired so I switched. Fluoxetine doesn't give me much in the way of negative side effects.
>>
>>27716293
Haha, alright. Thanks.

>>27716302
the reason why I don't go to school is because I'm a complete failure and seeing all my bad marks just makes me even more depressed. But thanks for the advice man, I'll consider going back to college.
>>
>>27716366
Thank you very much for the advice, I have been trying to work out regularly and eat decently healthy. But the healthy mindset is the hardest part, but I'll try.
>>
>>27716390
Alright, I'll check it out. Thanks.
>>
>>27716254
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

Language barrier might be an issue but if it's not, or if you can find some CBT self-help materials in your native language, this is your best option by far.
>>
>>27717015
No the language barrier isn't a problem, I'm very fluent. I just message up on grammar at times. But thank you very much, ill be sure to read up on it.
>>
File: 1431617969886.jpg (130 KB, 756x719) Image search: [Google]
1431617969886.jpg
130 KB, 756x719
>>27717262
>I'm very fluent
>I just message up on grammar at times
>>
>>27717891
That was autocorrect.
>>
>>27716254
psychology.tools
http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/mhp.cfm

also i find tumblr has some helpful blogs to follow. not even just the mental health ones, but even ones which post art and photos you like can be mood lifting.

probably some podcasts you can listen to to help as well, i listen to a couple for social anxiety for example

oh and st. john's wort has research backing it for depression (anxiety too, i think?)
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.