[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poor foods
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 16
File: url.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
Hey r9k, we had a pretty good thread a while back when somebody asked on how to live on $10 a day for food. Let's continue
>black / pinto beans
>rice
>tortillas and peanut butter
>potato soup
>>
Look for whole chickens on sale
Use the bones for broth
>>
>>27692650
$10 a day? i could live on $10 for a week you fat fuck.
>>
>>27692650
>10$/day considered poor
>rice literally costs 3700 calories/euro
>that's around 0.60 euro per day for 2000 calories

This must be a joke right? How is 10$/day considered cheap, it's expensive as fuck.
>>
>>27692687
>>27692712
Last thread OP was actually asking for advice making single meals with $10. A ton of people called him out for being a dumb fuck then, no need to do it now
>>
>>27692687
literally fucking how

even when i was skinny i spent 10 a day on food
>>
>>27692650
Obviously vegetables are pretty cheap if you go to an asian grocer or something. After that you just need condiments/sauce/flavour and some protein and maybe some carbs if you want................... Vague enough?
>>
Just go to the store and buy a bunch of basic shit. Not that hard. Meats such as porkchops and ground beef, chicken. Rice is a must, beans too... can maybe substitute the meats for beans. Cheaper. Don't skimp out on the rice either, get some of that delicious nutty-smelling jasmine rice. Soy sauce, sriacha is cheap and good although over rated. Eggs go great with ramen noodles and rice, no matter how you cook em or don't. Kraft Dinner is cheap, hot dogs as well. Buy some crackers too so you got something to snack on. Frozen vegetables can add a lot to a meal as well.
>>
>>27692743
$4 for a week's worth of rice, 60 cents / day
2 75 cent bean cans
$4 or 5 for sausages or chicken
spend the rest on veggies
>>
>>27692712
You don't know how malnutrition works do you?
>>
>>27692743
well i'm a britfag and $10 is 6 britcoins and no food isn't cheaper in the uk.

cant remember prices off the top of my head because i haven't slept for over 48 hours now but

>loaf of bread for around 50p (might last more than a week)
>12 packs of noodles (30p each) so 3.60 (will last you exactly a week if you eat 2 packs a day)
>butter for around 1.00 (but will last you a lot more than a week)
>50 ham slices 2.00 (probably fake jew-made processed 'meat' but who cares, and will last you more than a week)

thats 7.10. but the prices are probably cheaper than i mentioned.
>>
>>27692712
t. pol pot
t. mau zedong
>>
>>27692832
Lettuce costs 1.20 euro/kg.
Kale costs 1 euro/kg.
Rice costs 1 euro/kg.
Beans cost 2 euro/kg (uncooked, cheaper this way).
Apples cost 0.80-1.50 euro/kg.
Carrots cost 1 euro/kg.
EVOO costs 5-10 euro/l.
Don't know the cost of potatoes since we never buy them, but they are cheap as well.
Buy meat when it is on sale, otherwise it's expensive.

I fail to see how you can get malnurished eating this, I have a very healthy diet and I don't spend more than 4 euro a day for 2000 calories, with treats. If I wanted to go full poor mode I would just eat potato, beans, oil, veggies and would be less than 2 euro per day.
>>
>50 ham slices 2.00
>food isn't cheaper in the uk

hmmmmm
>>
>>27692977
its not even ham. like there must only be what 10% meat in it? idfk but its just processed shit that tastes like ass.
>>
Anyone here can't eat as much cheese as they want because it's too damn expensive? I dunno why the price is so high here in Canada :(
>>
giant bag of brown rice - 15 bucks
bags of frozen vegetables - 10 bux
giant pack of sausages 10 bux

for 35 bux u can feed yourself for over a month u dumb nigger
>>
>>27693005
Not enough cows.
>>
>>27692650
The goal I guess is to buy shit that fills you up fast
>Beans
>Rice
>Corn
>Cheap bread
>cheapest meat cut you can get

You could eat like a king for cheap depending on where you live

We have shit tons of local rice farms where I live so I can get months worth of white long grain rice really cheap

Personally I love getting a giant pot of pinto beans, cutting up some bacon and cooking it slow all day
>>
>>27692650
Pasta is fucking magic. It's like $2.50 a box and you can get 3 meals out of it.
>>
>>27692961
Nigger, your post before implied that you can survive just on rice because calories. Which is dumb.
>>
should set it at $5
>>
File: 30935846458.png (735 KB, 1144x843) Image search: [Google]
30935846458.png
735 KB, 1144x843
>>27692650
$10 a day must be trolling but i'll respond

breakfast:
>bulk non-organic mandarins, black coffee (folgers or cheapeast brand in bulk), glass of milk or piece of toast with it, or some other cheap substitute with a little substance (I often either skip breakfast or just have the first two
lunch:
>peanut butter sandwich (bulk, store brand peanut butter, for me this is Giant, and healthy bread. healthy bread is not that much more and muh high fructose corn syrup in cheap white breads. can do this if want to save the extra 2-3 dollars) can even have two sandwiches if fatass
>more fruit (usually mandarins cause good and cheap)
>water
>maybe pretzels if I'm feeling crazy
dinner:
>bulk rice
>vegetables, which are usually always cheap
>bulk beans, dried (cheaper)
>meat when its on sale, can even buy a lot and freeze
>water

no one said this would be healthy, but how is this that hard? maybe if you're insanely fat and need some specific snack like muh doritos or muh oreos. hell, you can even eat that shit and just not eat the whole fucking bag and you're fine
>>
File: 1455777179028.jpg (86 KB, 639x716) Image search: [Google]
1455777179028.jpg
86 KB, 639x716
>>27693005
>a medium sized brick of cheddar goes for $12-15
jdimsa
>>
>>27693196
Rice is just cheap calorie filler.
You can eat 1500 calories from rice, 400 from beans and 100 from veggies and you are set to go.
>>
File: 12341234.jpg (29 KB, 563x419) Image search: [Google]
12341234.jpg
29 KB, 563x419
>>27693255
I only said it wasn't that healthy because I'm not buying all organic stuff because it's way more expensive. But, other than that, definitely balanced meals and healthy amount of calories. Also, snacking on carrots, celery, pretzels.
>>
>>27693274
>tfw you go down to the states and see the same amount of cheese for $2-5
JUST
>>
>caring about eating healthy when you're on a fucking budget cuz you broke as fuck

ok
>>
>>27692650
10$ a day? holy fuck I can live on 2$ a day easily.

bag of potatoes, 2 bundles of bananas, some rice, some noodles, cheap water filter, and a discount bag of salmon

live off that for about 2 weeks or more easily.
>>
10 dollar a day is crazy
thats literally 300 a month
Isn't 100 $ per person more than enough or something? I heard that somewhere
Also please post poor people food tips
I need them real bad
>>
>>27692650
This past easter and valantines day after the holidays I stocked up on candy. Cleared out the wallgreens (drugstore like CVS) when it hit %70 off. No going to the convenience store and dropping $3-5 on candy. I'm set off like $10 worth for a few weeks.
>>
>>27694019
Candy isnt real food you retarded Neet
>>
>>27694019
Good idea, but if I have something like candy or cookies around me I can't restrain myself and just eat it all in a day or two
>>
>All these poorfags bragging about how they can be more poor than eachother

Top kek
>>
I just found some chick peas in my pantry, can I just throw them in some rice and eat? After frying them together for a bit, of course. I don't think I've ever eaten them before. they look tasty.
>>
>>27692650
Fuck you $10 can last me 2 weeks motherfucker
>>
>>27694311
Those are not peas, they are beans. Says so on the can.
>>
>>27694652

Another word for chickpeas are garbanzo beans, thanks for the help though i guess
>>
Ahahaha 10 dollars. Fuck off troll.
>>
Wut. I live at 4 dollars a day on food (only eat two times a day, but still). Maybe because I live in third world Mexico?
>>
>>27693414
Mix all the following for a meal
Ramen noodles.
Canned or fresh vegetables.
Canned beans.
Fresh potatoes or canned potatoes.
Fresh tomatoes < the most important.

Soymilk and oats for breakfast.
Fresh fruits for snacks
These items provide a complete profile of nutrition for very cheap.
The beans, oats, and soymilk give me around 50-100 grams of protein everyday
depending on the quantities.
Heavy weight olympic weightlifting champions consume around 100-150 a day.
It doesn't get any cheaper than this.
Actually it does. You can replace the soymilk with cow's milk.
cow's milk however is an animal product that's full of puss, causes acne for some people, full of hormones that make calves grow very quickly but are not good for adult humans.
>>
>>27694311
Saute onion and garlic
Add can of diced tomatoes
Add salt, cumin, curry powder or garam masala, and some cayenne pepper
Add can of chickpeas
Simmer until liquid has evaporated to your liking
Serve over rice, preferably basmati
>>
Bacon and eggs are quite cheap here in the UK. I usually just have bacon and eggs with some whole meal/seeded toast (somehow cheaper than white here because all the fat fucks go for white I guess).

It keeps me going for ages and is fucking delicious/cheap.
>>
>being poor
>spends $10 on food every day

holy fucking shit are poor people dumb
>>
>$10 a day
>$70 a week
that isn't poor. I only spend around $40-50 on groceries every week
>>
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 255x197) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11 KB, 255x197
best poor food to buy
>>
you can literally get tins of tuna for 80cents here at aus in all kinds of flavors, barbecue, chilli (hot and sweet), mustard, smoked, basically any kind of flavor.
>>
>>27695361
Be careful of all that mercury.
>>
>>27692650
This is really bad bait and still people are falling for it hard.
>>
>>27695361
I'm in aus, I get chicken breast for cheaper by the kilo.

Those cans of 5 different beans for 80 cents are GOAT.
>>
>>27695353
Is this really the best bargain? Seems like the best option to me, but I wish it wasn't
>>
File: 1438559340042.jpg (93 KB, 746x691) Image search: [Google]
1438559340042.jpg
93 KB, 746x691
>>27695353
>tfw love ramen and don't get tired of it
>tfw saving more money than the happy merchant and loving every moment of it

just throw in some vegetables/meat from time to time and you're good really
>>
You can basically rule out breakfast costs by having oats and water (like $1 every few weeks even without buying bulk bags)

I usually just have a sandwich for lunch. Bit of cheese, some tomato, some cucumber, maybe some grated carrot.

For dinner I have rice and chicken breast a lot. Rice and tuna is also nice. Have some steamed vegies if you want some color.

Snacks I usually have museli bars and apples. Also carrots.

I could probably cut costs by eating less chicken, but this works okay.
>>
>>27693005
I like cheese in small doses so it works good for me
>>
>>27692650
no one ever mentions pasta in these threads

delicious, tons of types to choose from, endless ingredient combos, easy to make (sauces too), healthy and cheap
>>
>buy rice
>have parents who waste a lot of food
>live on rice and leftovers

Works for me
>>
>>27694584
Are your meals
>water
>water
>water
>maybe a cheap meal
>water
?
>>
File: 6ek6ki.jpg (347 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
6ek6ki.jpg
347 KB, 1200x1600
Working my way through a bag of rice right now, it's almost gone. Pic isn't mine but it's the same brand/size. Can't remember when we bought it but I think it's been almost a month now. 4-6 cups left in the thing.

I don't know what is with this delicious shit, but my god I've been eating it basically everyday and I am not sick of it yet, even when it's basically plain (save for some butter, s+p and soy sauce)
>>
>>27692650
lentils are a god tier poorfag food. nutritious, filling, and cheap as shit. combine them with brown rice and you've got a complete protein, so they're even good if you want to make some sick /gainz/.
>>
>>27692712
I dont think europoor money is the same as real money
>>
>>27692992
That shit costs $3.75 ABSOLUTE minimum here in america and thats assuming you live in a flyover state
>>
I hear bolooga whale is cheap, and surstromming. Surstromming is an absolute MUST. JUST BUY SARDINES AND MILK. you'll live
>>
>>27695677
yeah god forbid they actually have a food that tastes decent in these threads
>>
>>27696990
>JUST BUY SARDINES
Where the hell are /deenz/ threads?
>>
>>27693378
>bag of salmon
wut
>>
File: 1445283408937.jpg (111 KB, 967x615) Image search: [Google]
1445283408937.jpg
111 KB, 967x615
First I thought the ten dollars was a joke but then I realized that all Americans are whales who eat at least 7000kcal a day so hmmmm
>>
Any of you guys broken the habit of constantly buying food from cafes/fast food etc.? I had a full time job for a couple years straight out of high school so I could afford to just pay for lunch all the time, but I've been unemployed for a few months and I found myself burning through my NEETbux in a matter of days. I'm starting to rack up a bit of debt on my credit card just because I'm a lazy shit and I can't stop spending $7 on a fucking coffee and bagel every morning.

I literally never cook. What's a good way to psych myself out of this dumb shit and force myself to shop smart/prepare all of my own meals? I know this is kind of pathetic to ask for an adult but my parents were upper white middle class as hell and this is literally my first experience having to be even slightly frugal.
>>
>>27695677
yeah but only gay people and italians (a subset of gay people) can handle eating those long slimy flaccid dicks.
>>
>>27697142
Leave your cards at home is the only advice I got, sorry. You could also just try breaking the habits, though it takes time. For example, make your breakfast the night before so you don't have to when you wake up. Do this for long enough and you'll no longer have to go grab a coffee and bagel in the morning, you can just eat at home/quickly before leaving. Something like that.

You'll be super happy that you did. You will see returns almost immediately. It can take a bit of time but not that long... oh, also look up meal prep. Some people prepare ALL of their weekly meals in one night and just freeze/throw their shit in the fridge
>>
>>27697142
Look at some of /fit/'s food prep stuff. Lot of plans for buying and making a bunch of food at once for a week. I'd start there.
>>
>>27692821
>rice

I seriously hope you don't do this
>>
>>27697190
rice-futures-trading kike detected
>>
>>27697187
No, you'd start by sucking off your father. Maybe you'd go to /fit/'s food prep stuff afterwards, and maybe you wouldn't, but let's not pretend that your first step in every process isn't making a bee-line to your father's delicious erection for some liquid confidence.
>>
>>27697446
I don't even know how to respond to such blatant shitposting.
>>
Why does no one ever mention eggs. Eating a dozen eggs per day is cheap and extremely filling.
>>
>>27692961
what kind of lettuce are you buying? costs me like 40pence per head and that last like a full week
>>
File: 1457132697126.jpg (131 KB, 500x639) Image search: [Google]
1457132697126.jpg
131 KB, 500x639
College fag. I'm limited to a microwave and mini fridge. I wish I was fortunate enough to have a stove. There is one in the community kitchen, but I'm too autistic to go there because other people.

Top Ramen. No comment.

Chef Boyardee. No comment.

Cans of chicken noodle soup are cheap and good. I can get them for $1.18/can here or 10/$10 sometimes on sale. There are other soups but I prefer chicken noodle.

Eggs. I always make poached eggs by putting an egg in a cup with water and microwaving it for a hour.

Veggies. Put some veggies in a cup and crack an egg over it and sprinkle some cheese over it. Microwave it for a minute.

Subs/Sandwiches with lunch meat and cheese. I like flat bread.

There's some brands of pre-cooked meat that you just eat cold or microwave. I usually buy the chicken breast strip kinds that are meant to go in salads.

Potatoes. Poke some holes in it and microwave for 8-10 minutes.

What else should I be getting?
>>
>>27697878

>microwaving it for an hour

kek
>>
>>27697780
Don't worry, you did a fine job.
>>
Canned sardines cost a dollar a pound.
>>
>>27692650
This is a little bit difficult since many here are from different countries with different prices for things. US vs Norway for example:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Norway
>>
>>27697946
You only think that because you're not allowed in your mother's special room. Yes, she smells like sardines every time she leaves the room, and yes, the sign on the door reads "A Dollar a Pound," but she's not canning sardines in there.
>>
>>27693196
>believing the gov't when they tell you how much and of what king if foods to eat to be 'healthy'

You can survive on rice. You can survive on anything that gives you calories. To might not feel good of even be healthy but the key word is 'survive'
>>
Tfw work at a Cafe and get free food every shift
>>
I've been living mostly on toast and butter these days, but today mommy is making chicken parmigiana, I'm pretty happy
>>
>>27698052
Doo doo has calories.

Eat my doo doo immediately.
>>
>>27698052
eating rice def makes you gay. that's why chineses are gay
>>
File: 1454777429812.png (50 KB, 293x281) Image search: [Google]
1454777429812.png
50 KB, 293x281
>apprentice butcher
>hated by all coworkers
>live in squalor apartment
>free tendies
>feels better mang
>>
>>27698615
>free tendies
FREE FUCKING TENDIES!
>>
The usda site has lots of recipes that cost less than $2.50 per meal to make. But you just need to cook and buy in bulk
>>
>>27692796
>Obviously vegetables are pretty cheap if you go to an asian grocer or something.

Enjoy salmonella and cross contamination with pig intestines
>>
>>27697878
>stop nuking your food/intestine bro. go use that comm kitchen you'll regret it in the long run if you don't.
>>
how do you prepare/cook your rice? with veggies or?
>>
File: 1427937490541.jpg (151 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1427937490541.jpg
151 KB, 600x900
>>27692650
Any substitute for rice?
I can't shit if i eat too much rice
Also beans are so umpractical, you have to let them rest of water overnight so they get soft and then cook them.
>>27700765
>pan
>oil
>add a garlic
>fry it, make sure it doesn't burn
>add a cup of rice
>fry it for a little bit with the garlic
>add 1 1/2 cup or 2 cups of water depending on how you like your rice
>when it starts boiling add salt
>then reduce heat to low
>put on lid
>wait until there's no water
At this point it should be done, but i make a simple step that makes the rice 10 times better
>remove from heat
>stir carefully through the rice
>place lid again
>let it rest for 5-10 minutes with lid
>the remaining heat of the rice with the lid will keep cooking it and will leave you with a soft delicious rice
There you go, a perfect rice.
Works everytime.
Perfect with tuna, eggs, veggies, chicken, salmon.
Pretty much anything you want.
>>
>>27701013
Forgot to mention, add the garlic whole.
Just peel it.
Then after is done, you can either mash it and mix it with the rice or discard it.
>>
>>27701013
What the fuck, there's only one way to cook rice and that's to make sure its done properly. Nobody likes hard undercooked rice. water to rice ratios depend mostly on what kind of rice you're cooking.

also buy a rice cooker for super easy mode.
>>
>>27701073
thanks for the effort of typing all that, but I mean I know how to prepare rice. also I dislike garlic in any form.

I meant if you got any quick and cheap ways of mixing it iwth something else. As in adding eggs or maybe ham or something like that to it.
>>
>>27692801
>craft dinner
just buy dried macaroni and make it yourself
>ramen noodles
buy dried noodles and make them yourself
>meat
you forgot tuna

beans and rice is good. i personally like to eat beans on rice and olives. particularly bush's best beans.
>>
>>27701099
With that method i always get a perfect rice m80, never undercooked.
I used to do it like that everytime and the result was always good.
But i've been having problems with my bowel movements so i'm trying not to eat rice.
>>
>>27692650
>poor
>10$ a day

: ^)
>>
File: IMG_20160407_091354.jpg (814 KB, 3006x2798) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160407_091354.jpg
814 KB, 3006x2798
Been Living on soylent for a month now.

I eat white rice, and soylent wich brings me to $8.50 a day and a total of 2500 cal, fast food was fucking me up health and money wise.

Lost considerable amount of wheigth, I feel normal...
>>
With 10 dollars I could get a pizza from a pizzeria, a bread, houmous, some fruit and a bottle of cola. I actually spend like 50 a week incl beer.
>>
>>27692650
Try making a shepherd pie. You can have at least 4 to 5 portions of food and save money so you won't starve.
>>
>>27701213
I always wondered if your shits are solid if you only live on soylent.
>>
why are even working class americans so spoiled with money? buy in bulk you faggots
>>
>>27701273
I doo poop, but it's just drops with soylent alone, I try to add oatmeal, bannas, and rice, just to keep my digestive system going.

It tastes like liquid flour, I'm starting to like it.
>>
Hey Poorfags in the US. You should go to your local butcher on the 1st of the month. Just stand near the register and watch what people buy and what they pay with.
>>
>>27695353
but it's so fucking bad for you
>>
>>27701866
are you going to drink that banana?
>>
Be sure to eat your cum. If you're working minimum wage, you've no excuse for not fapping thrice a day and consuming all of the semen.
>>
>>27701866
>banana for scale

Please go back to 9fag.
>>
>there's this restaurant with a special offer at lunch time
>about $8.55 for any meal, free salad, free drink, free coffee
>choose any pizza (they are huge)
>eat the salad, drink the drink and the coffee
>eat about half the pizza
>take the rest of it with you
>eat it later at home
You practically get two meals for the price of one.
>>
>>27692
Where the fuck do you shop to get your food so cheaply
>>
File: you are good.gif (935 KB, 217x237) Image search: [Google]
you are good.gif
935 KB, 217x237
>>27696990
>>27697046
>>27698026
>>27697946

The proteins and good fatty acids will make you healthy and happy!
>>
File: 1422589926504.gif (797 KB, 583x328) Image search: [Google]
1422589926504.gif
797 KB, 583x328
I've always been frugal and I could never understand how people could eat out everyday.

>get coffee machine from thrift store for $5-$10.
>use it to brew tea, make ramen cups, and make coffee.
>dry beans, rice, etc.
>ground turkey is usually cheaper then ground beef and has less fat.
>oatmeal, grits, for breakfast.
>>
>>27692650
I live on about ten gbp a day for food, and I don't starve or spend particularly efficiently.

I do however tend towards inexpensive options; rice, instant noodles, frozen peas (for putting in noodles) loose fruit and vegetables from a grocery store, beans and lentils, and if you're a real old timey feller you can buy liver and other interesting offals from the butchers.
>>
>>27692821
I used to eat a lot of beans in tomato sauce, they would be at least 1.50 usually closer to 2 dollars. This is in canada, where everything is expensive
>>
>packs of 24 frozen chicken patties are only 15 dollars
>buy three of them and eat for two weeks

Fuck 10 bucks a day, I'm living off of 45 bucks a fortnight.
>>
>>27703995
Wow in canada the cheapest chicken I can find is 4 chicken breasts at walmart for 10 dollars
>>
>>27692854
>12 packs of noodles
>will last you exactly a week if you eat 2 a day
Britbongs everybody
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.