[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about Doing Comp Sci 101 Robots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 1458352950895.jpg (674 KB, 1920x1286) Image search: [Google]
1458352950895.jpg
674 KB, 1920x1286
be a sociology/education major
Want to be either a teacher or a cop
Have to take non-major courses because liberal arts uni
Is comp sci worth it?
It only covers python.

Wat do?

>inb4 SJW humanities major
>Falling for the STEM meme
>>
>>27686137
One gives you the chance of making some OK decent money, the other will only earn you money if you become saarkesian
>>
Get out of my subject you faggot liberal

Also a liberal arts uni is very unlikely to teach a compsci course that's worth your while. Take something better, like sailing studies
>>
File: Yukinon for Trump.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Yukinon for Trump.jpg
107 KB, 1280x720
>>27686207
we are pretty competitive. You need like a 1400/1600 sat minimum to get in here if you aren't rich. Our strongest program is pre-med and other sciences aren't far behind. Also, I'm not a liberal. I avoided taking all sociology courses related to feminism, islam, race, other SJW tier shit. My focus is in data analysis and research methodology. All my projects are about the inefficiencies in the American Public School system. Also, I'm voting for Trump in both Primary and general elections. I did some python in high school, and it wasn't too bad.
>>
Anon if you want to we could have a programming exchange where you program and ask questions or have me explain things. 101 courses really don't cover enough to be required. I've gone through several for different languages and depending on language they either focus on learning you to produce something quickly or actual understanding. I'd say python (though I haven't gone CS101 for python) would probably be a production focused language.

It's like if you didn't know math and was only taught basic arithmetic up to division and multiplication.

Either way you should test the waters first. I'm not confident a compsci 101 course will actually help you get any job but to me I've always considered CS to be among the easiest field to get into a little bit when you consider the difficulty of entry jobs.

Problem is that there's a lot of people going for those jobs. I've asked my employer and they hired me because they considered my github projects to be a sign of enthusiasm.
>>
>>27686502
Also since I know a person is watching me on here I'l be a little bit helpful:
No I don't have a job right now.
>>
>>27686137
Sociology major planning on law enforcement here.
I don't know shit about code past editing a few numbers around in N++, and honestly I don't think it would be useful for that.
What are your other options?
>>
>>27686666
my other options are all SJW tier shit. literally, africana and latin american studies, asian studies, race, power, privilege, sex, gender, fags, cuckolding 101, if it's useless, we have it. Other options would be any 101 sciences like physics, chem (I hate chem, flunked it in high school and college). nio, whatever. I think comp sci is more enjoyable.
>>
>>27686336
>1400/1600
On just Math and Reading, right?
Because if that's out of 2400, that's not competitive at all.
>>
>>27686747
Yeah given those options, all of which doesn't make you more employable and the others you're likely to just fail, CS is the best.

>>27686666
Nice repeating selfsame digits. Consider them thoroughly observed.

Why would any of you two go into Sociology though? It just seems like a large mistake.
>>
File: 1459857185677.jpg (236 KB, 588x719) Image search: [Google]
1459857185677.jpg
236 KB, 588x719
My school was so shit you didn't learn ANY programming in comp sci 101. It was all theory; didn't even do any projects, and it was easy as fuck.

I took that and one other comp sci class that was also super easy.

I learned more about computers reading CODE by Charles Petzold anyway.

If you plan on being a teacher or a filthy law pig, it really doesn't matter one way or another, so why do you care? Pick whatever nonmajor course interests you most; if it's compsci, then just do it.
>>
>>27686801
say "1400/1600"
>hurrr, it better not be out of 2400. Critical reading and maths lol
>>
Knowing how to program is a useful skill and learning programming is an interesting and unique experience. Computers are everywhere, they govern our lives, and it's good to know a bit more about them. Absolutely take the class.
>>
>>27686336
>voting for trump
What is it like being a /pol/tard?
>>
>>27686137
Python is a fantastic language to learn first. I'd say any university teaching it would have a course focused on teaching you concepts efficiently.

Right now, depends where you are, if you're in the USA, definitely, for the next 5-10 years you're going to have a good chance of getting a job. Australia and UK... Nah, do something different.

I'm a dual UK/Aus citizen who's been working as a dev since I was 18, for 8 years now, fuck I'm old... The two years I was in the US were the best.
>>
>>27686891
>for the next 5-10 years you're going to have a good chance of getting a job. Australia and UK... Nah, do something different.

Why is this? Immigration?

Also, he's planning on taking a COURSE, not changing his fucking major; an employer isn't going to give a shit that he took ONE course about programming.
>>
>>27686817
I'm actually pretty decent at physics. got a 5 on the AP. I wanna do law enforcement because I get decent pay, I have an incentive to stay in shape, and I can carry in NYC.
>>27686885
feels like victory
>>
>>27686891
>Australia and UK... Nah, do something different.
What's so bad about UK/Aus? What's so good about the US?
>>
Python is a normie language. Learn Haskell.
>>
>>27686747
If you feel like that's your best choice, go for it. I would recommend getting the GPA up so you can get what little law enforcement internships there are.
Or just make some friends with your local PD. I don't know about your area, but we always need volunteers.

>>27686817
I won't lie, it's a bad major overall, but it's the only option for most people wanting to work with law enforcement. So little colleges offer Criminal Justice undergraduate degrees that are worth something (not online), and it really sucks.
Most PDs train anyone with a bachelor's, but sociology is the most relatable field. Communications and Psychology would be good too, but people who go for those degrees usually don't go for law enforcement.
>>
>>27686915
Man, I'm not sure if empoyers will like it or not... Probably couldn't hurt... Give it a go still. Not everyone should program, but if you like it, pursue it.

Big tech firms will increasingly move their production to cheaper nations as those nations improve their pool of programmers/management/etc. (this is not a repeat of the old, hiring indians to make the project).

>>27686945

US, you get paid WAY more, and you are actually appreciated. I've only worked in 4 companies outside the US, and man the culture towards programmers over in Aus and UK... Fuck that shit. Could also be that I met my wife in the US near the start.

>>27687014
Nah m8, learn Scheme. Actually screw that learn D. Nah that's too normie, learn brainfuck instead.
>>
>>27686927
>I wanna do law enforcement because I get decent pay
Yeah I asked about sociology though. That's not required for policemen in the US right?
>I'm actually pretty decent at physics.
I find that physics as a subject is not that interesting for most people. Physics as an interest is great because you can be all about theory, know none of the math and simply know interesting things. A bit like history. Also makes you look a bit smart to be able to explain things like Special relativity. But the math behind it will be superfluous for a cop obviously

>>27687085
He should definitively learn JAI. Eventually, when it comes out. Maybe wait until it gets off the ground too.

Or Cobol.
>>27687085
>you get paid WAY more
When and how much? Is it just their country or do you think it's CS specifically?

Because if it's just CS I might look for work there assuming Trump would still allow European immigration.
>>
>>27687151
Most precincts have a degree, or 60 credit requirement. Some are just high school diploma/GED
>>
>>27687151
I was being paid 140k USD in the US, I worked much longer hours, everything was more expensive, but damn was it nicer.

Last job I had in AUS, I was making 96k.

JAI looks pretty rad.
>>
>>27687257
>JAI looks pretty rad.
Yeah. Especially the compile time execution stuff. For me anyway. There's so many situations where I write programs to output small things. It gets cluttered even.

I'm very impressed by it so far.
>>
silicon valley programmer reporting in

comp sci is the tits if you can do it and obsess about computers
>>
>>27686137
One of my comp sci teachers was telling me about people doing this. You can probably pass and you don't even need to worry about actually understanding it.
>>
>>27686336
Fuck you for tarnishing Yukinon
>>
>>27687085

javascript dood

thats all you need now
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.