[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know there are some of you on here who have autism. And I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4
File: autism.png (831 KB, 800x722) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
831 KB, 800x722
I know there are some of you on here who have autism. And I want to know more about how it feels.

So many of you seem perfectly articulate in writing, but I've seen autists from all over the spectrum and they all SEEM to not know what's going on, and their behavior is really like nothing I can imagine. (inb4 hurr durr that's how it works; I know that)

What I really want to know is how it feels. Do you know if you sound socially unacceptable or strange? How do you cope? Is it possible to change your behavior if you really try? Do I even have my current notions right about how I'm assuming this?

Genuinely not trolling or baiting, I've been very interested about an autist's perspective on this.
>>
File: 1448271442410.png (480 KB, 746x718) Image search: [Google]
1448271442410.png
480 KB, 746x718
I'm not an autist but I KNOW they know what's going on, even if their understanding of it isn't the same as everyone else's. I really don't think they can help themselves, it's the way they are. Attempts to shroud it are in vain. All in all they're not bad people.
>>
File: philosofags on sci.jpg (45 KB, 460x406) Image search: [Google]
philosofags on sci.jpg
45 KB, 460x406
>Do you know if you sound socially unacceptable or strange?
But HOW can you know?
>>
High functioning autist here. I always find it difficult to explain since i don't know what it's like NOT to have the tisms. I don't know where the autism stops and me being a socially retarded fuckup begins, but let's try anyway.

>Do you know if you sound socially unacceptable or strange?
I've always been a bit self conscious since I was bullied for being autismus maximus at an early age. I was lucky to get into a school for special kids which helped boost my confidence and communication skills a bit so I've improved a little.

>How do you cope?
How does anyone here cope with their life? If you mean about the last question then i'd say it's not so bad now, sometimes I have to repeat myself but not nearly as often as before.

> Is it possible to change your behavior if you really try?
I think if the support is there it's a lot easier. I find it difficult to motivate myself as I'm a lazy shit.

> Do I even have my current notions right about how I'm assuming this?
You say autists seem to not know what's going on, do you mean about life? Some autists I know, I can sort of relate to them better but I'm not sure if that's because of similar circumstances or similar mindset. About the not knowing what's going on, I'll say this: I feel a general awkwardness in most things, especially if it's something I haven't done before. I got a normie job now so hopefully I'll get better.

Hope this helps. I'd like to see what other autistic posters have to say about their life.
>>
>>27673918
Just for some elaboration, it's hard for me to imagine inside someone's else's head... Forgive me if i make some assumptions here that aren't correct/bolstered by stereotypes.

Like there are things that autists do that make people avoid them like the plague; one guy I knew kinda rocked forward in his desk chair, clicked his tongue, smiled too much, and strung together sentences which made grammatical sense but no semantic sense (he never said this, but an example of this would be "green ideas dream furiously")

Do autists (usually) know that the majority of the population doesn't do that? Is it possible to just stop? What keeps that behavior going?
>>
>>27674049
I think everyone finds it hard to imagine someone else's thoughts, it's impossible for us to 'be' someone else.

The things you described reminded me of me when I was younger. I didn't think about what others thought of these actions until they were pointed out to me. I think the ability to stop depends on the level of self awareness, higher functioning people probably have a better chance to change their behaviours.

As for what keeps it going, I guess it's like a compulsion, they fit into the 'routine' of our lives. I still find myself pacing about upstairs most days. I think everyone has some sort of routine, such as having meals around a set time, or having a to-do list. I would speculate that autistic people factor everything into their routine, inculding certain movements and words? They find something that makes them feel good, and subconsciously it's added to their routine?

I don't quite understand it all myself.
>>
>>27673676
They're mad men trapped inside their own minds, all communication is filtered through a layer of irony.
>>
File: 1451919743662.png (2 MB, 1824x1952) Image search: [Google]
1451919743662.png
2 MB, 1824x1952
>>27673599
tokyo tawaa
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.