[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes a person significant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: 1448375789632.jpg (78 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
1448375789632.jpg
78 KB, 500x493
What makes a person significant?
>>
>>27667132
The amount his boy pussy can handle
>>
File: KzBNroU.jpg (241 KB, 940x653) Image search: [Google]
KzBNroU.jpg
241 KB, 940x653
>>27667132
No one is significant.

The only people who are significant are the people you put value in and obviously that's subjective to you.
>>
Action taken
>>
>>27667231
if you know it's subjective then why even bother?
>>
>>27667132
significance is subjective
>>
Doing something that changes a lot of people's lives/impacts a lot of people.

This is why musicians, filmmakers, artists, politicians, and so on are remembered if they innovate/change things, because changes in these fields effect a lot of people and therefore must be documented- and if it is documented, you are remembered, which makes you "significant".

Also why mass shooters are remembered, because they changed a lot of families lives, and other people's lives by changes in security and policy.

Basically the more change and impact a person brings on to the lives of others, the more significant he will be remembered as, good or bad.
>>
File: 2PqAb5V.jpg (547 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
2PqAb5V.jpg
547 KB, 1224x1632
>>27667274
That's not something for me to answer.
>>
>>27667351
Pretty spooky staircase you got there
>>
>>27667132
In the big scheme of things nobody appears significant.
But everything is.
The moon is billions of times larger than you. It will exist for billions of years longer than you. But what is it? A fucking rock? There are many like it. But you, you are something else. You can think, you have hopes dreams, the capacity to create and destroy, to build fantasies and succeed or escape into them and fail.
The moon is only significant if you are looking at it.
Now that we know humans are significant in the universe, what makes a significant human? Quite simply, somebody who alters history in their direction. Name does not need to be remembered. Nobody knows exactly who changed the world at some pivotal moments, be they lowly soldiers, people in the right place in the right time, or that one art professor that refused Hitler. Significance is the altering of history to make it favorable to you.
Significant on a social and not a historical scale? That shit does not matter. Social status is nothing. All that matters is weather or not you love what you do, do that which furthers your interests, and live a good life.
>>
>>27667318
This seems like the actual answer to me. >>27667379
>>27667300
>>27667231
The people saying it's objective are wrong. There is a general consensus, and that is that change is what dictates significance. If this weren't true, we wouldn't have anyone in the history books, and nobody would have a wikipedia page. The people saying it's subjective are just terrified of not being significant so they say "well it's subjective no one really is significant!".
>>
>>27667416
no, it's totally subjective. There are significant people in history that are overlooked that have much more impact than those who are mentioned. This alone shows that values and "significance" are subjective. There is no objective value for a person in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>27667493
Like who? Give me some examples.
And if they're remembered at all, as opposed to being one of the billions who aren't, then it doesn't really hold up, because they're still remembered.
>>
>>27667522
Are you saying that all the people throughout history who are remembered are objectively the most impactful in history and in no way possible is it that someone who is not remembered impactful at all?
>>
>>27667555
No, I'm not. I said that those who are remembered, per general consensus, are usually the most impactful.

Of course there are people who aren't remembered who had some impact, but it's usually towards a larger goal- they weren't the sole reason for change. Soldiers, for example, fight and die to make an impact, but very few are ever remembered.

However, that doesn't completely disprove the trend of history- there is a reason we document the lives of certain individuals more than others.
>>
>>27667606
I'm sure there are specific soldiers that probably changed the course of wars and aren't remembered. The fact that these lives are overlooked shows that the value system and significance of peoples lives are generally subjective from person to person.
>>
>>27667660
The fact that certain people who were significant aren't remembered does not disprove the trend of history. They are the exception to the rule. If you're going to tell me that the average homeless person might be more significant than Abraham Lincoln based on subjective analysis, you're out of your mind.
>>
>>27667706
I'm saying that the mere fact that someone might value a soldier as to a president shows that significance is subjective.
>>
File: Nietzsche1882.jpg (329 KB, 1274x1700) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche1882.jpg
329 KB, 1274x1700
>>27667132
What makes a person significant is having the courage to manifest the Will to Power. To dismiss all external authority and step off fearlessly into the nihilist Void, having faith that you can build wings of Will to cross to the other side.

There are many who are famous or infamous, and few of them are of any consequence. Those who dare to defy custom, who step off the well-worn paths and create their own trails, are almost universally hated and feared. If the world doesn't consider you evil, you are not significant.
>>
>>27667132
Fuck that is a good meme bro
>>
Fame and significance aren't the same. For all we know, some of the greatest artists and thinkers owe it all to a family member, friend, or total stranger that we'll never hear about. People that build up and inspire others to greatness are just as significant.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.