[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /r9k/ deal/cope with death? It seems like every few
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: 1457492949653.jpg (51 KB, 450x514) Image search: [Google]
1457492949653.jpg
51 KB, 450x514
How does /r9k/ deal/cope with death? It seems like every few months I suddenly have to face my own mortality again.

It's awful living with the fact that, eventually, the worst thing that could possibly happen to you will happen to you. I'm not sure I'd be very surprised if I were told that this existence is a type of hell, I see nothing that would convince me otherwise.
>>
How strange, OP, I just had this feel come up recently too. Not even sure why. These feels usually only sprout up once every few years, but when they do, it's bad.

Haven't even been able to sleep the past few days because it's eating away at me, the idea of nothingness or oblivion.

I'm trying to make peace with the hope that consciousness is just an idea and that I'll "wake up" as someone else in the future. It feels like the only rational conclusion since I'm agnostic and don't understand how God or paradise could possibly exist.

I'm caught in some awful mixture of altruism and selfishness - If I'm going to die, might as well be a glutton and live it up until the end.

On the other hand, if I only get one life, I have a responsibility to make the world as best as I can before leaving.

had to take some benzos just to avoid a panic attack, hopefully I can actually sleep tonight
>>
File: 1459716113276.jpg (25 KB, 541x569) Image search: [Google]
1459716113276.jpg
25 KB, 541x569
Your life must be good or exciting if death worries you this much.
The worst my spirit has gotten, the less I started caring about dying.
Frankly, right now I'm only scared about hurting my caring parents if I were to die.
If I were alone, I wouldn't think about it.
>>
>>27663418
This

To never be burdened with life ever again sounds great.
>>
File: nhk depression.jpg (202 KB, 704x2422) Image search: [Google]
nhk depression.jpg
202 KB, 704x2422
I think about killing myself a lot, but not really what comes after. I'd rather just stop existing - living is hard, and so is dying.

When I do think about what death really means, what the afterlife might entail, I feel a primordial fear. The thought of oblivion, of not even thinking, is a crushing fear. Like, even in the most unconscious state, I can still "dream" or "think", and afterwards, when I wake up, I know that I was still around. Literally my chest pains and I can't breathe sometimes when I think about it.

Just imagine not having that. You will one day stop thinking - stop living - and not even know it. That instant lack of knowledge is what scares me. If I had a choice in knowing I had do die slowly or quickly, I might pick the former; at least then, I can come to terms with the end of my thought. I can slowly ease into nothingness. Being thrust into it is frightening.

I entirely, 100% understand why a majority of people throughout time have been religious. It's the most comforting way of dealing with this, really. I wish I could be religious again like I was as a child, but I can't.
>>
>>27663288
>I'm not sure I'd be very surprised if I were told that this existence is a type of hell, I see nothing that would convince me otherwise.

I can relate

>>27663418
>Your life must be good or exciting if death worries you this much.

It really feels bad because Im not living much of a life in the first place. How can life end after being so empty and miserable?

"I've lived so little that I tend to imagine I'm not going to die; it seems improbable
that human existence can be reduced to so little; one imagines, in spite of oneself,
that sooner or later something is bound to happen. A big mistake. A life can just as
well be both empty and short. The days slip by indifferently, leaving neither trace nor
memory; and then all of a sudden they stop."
_ Michel Houellebecq, Whatever
>>
>>27663288
Why does it bother you so much, if you are not religious then you surely don't believe in an afterlife, in which case, once you are dead you won't know you are dead and regret life, because you won't have consciousness. If you are religious then you believe that there's an afterlife of pure bliss, so why worry?.
I never understood why people are afraid of death, if anything I'm afraid of of pain, of dying a horribly painful and long death, the actual fact of being dead doesn't bother me.
>>
>>27663288
>tfw this has been an almost constant feel for months

I really should see about getting some meds.
>>
Death doesn't make sense. I believe in the resurrection of the dead.
>>
>>27663288
> death
> the worst thing that could possibly happen to you
you don't belong on r9k

+ i obsess over it every second, because life is absurd bullshit
>>
>>27663512
>If I had a choice in knowing I had do die slowly or quickly, I might pick the former; at least then, I can come to terms with the end of my thought. I can slowly ease into nothingness. Being thrust into it is frightening.

I almost died violently (some nigger almost beat me unconcious)

Honestly feels like a much better way to go than dying of cancer slowly. It wasnt that bad. I was so high on adrenaline I didnt feel or think much of anything.
>>
File: 1601649.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1601649.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>27663288
>Death
>The end
The universe is infinite my friends do not fear the death of your body and brain. You will decompose and become one with the earth once again.
>>
File: 1456974391391.jpg (43 KB, 960x719) Image search: [Google]
1456974391391.jpg
43 KB, 960x719
>>27663528
>It really feels bad because Im not living much of a life in the first place. How can life end after being so empty and miserable?
I guess it makes sense, but maybe apathy hasn't fully got to you yet.
>>
>>27663288
>robot
>fearing death

Lmao fucking normies
>>
My only worry is that I won't achieve anything before that day comes. My spirit for living was broken a long time ago but I feel a stubborness towards the cruelty of life, so much so that I want to defy it and leave something to show it wasn't a total waste of time, and as a "fuck you. You couldn't completely break me after all." to the cosmos.
>>
>>27663512
I don't get this, once you are death you won't "be" anymore, so you won't know that you are dead, you literally can't feel or think or anything, what's so scary about something you won't even experience. Everything bad that could ever happen to you, the worst things, can only happen when you are alive.
>>
>>27663288
Eh, death doesn't really bother me, because I know that if I do everything right, then it's going to be really far off.
Since death is unavoidable, you should make every day count, because it could be your last.
/inspirational speech
>>
>>27663616
>I don't get this, once you are death you won't "be" anymore, so you won't know that you are dead, you literally can't feel or think or anything, what's so scary about something you won't even experience.
You just named it. I've lived my entire life in my head, for lack of a better phrase. I turn over everything and anything I experience, and then more still, constantly overthinking things.

Simply lacking this scares me to no end. The lack of knowledge, the inability to think about my status and accept it, would drive me mad.

It's paradoxical, because I can't accept it once I'm dead, and it won't matter - but while I'm living it matters a ton.
>>
>>27663687
I'm not trying to be a pessimist here, but most of the things that could kill you don't really depend on you, some guy could just murder you on the street for a watch, or a drunken driver could run you over, or anything else you could think of. There's a lot of things that could kill you that are totally outside your control, that even if you take every safety measure could still happen.
>>
File: 1459656976335.png (16 KB, 958x660) Image search: [Google]
1459656976335.png
16 KB, 958x660
>>27663288
sometimes I worry about it. most of the time I don't. I'd rather not die but I think I can accept it happening. I'm currently improving my life, and I think I'm okay with dying as long as I'm doing something with myself.
>>
it sucks being close to death i've shared this story before

>driving from friends house
>had a seizure driving home
>crashed into a tree
>go to yale and a few other rehab places
>i get a brain injury, crippled, and speech problems
>i've gotten surgerys to get me better
>i go to the gym and pt to get better it's been almost three years
>in the end die instead of get a slow death
>>
>>27663288
What's even worse is imagining the concept of infinity. Like if God and Heaven/Hell is real then you live forever. It never ends.
>>
When you die you'll be born again -- as you

The same you, the same life, cause time is an illusion, every part of time is playing at once so when die your consciousness will go back to the start, or rather it will appear this way to you but in reality you're experiencing every moment of your life all at once for eternity

That's what I think, it's not a good thought but I can't imagine anything else
>>
What the fuck is wrong with you people? Do none of you have any faith in the advances of medicine and technology? I look forward to the days when my brain will be preserved in a cyborg body and I can just watch anime and browse 4chan for eternity.
>>
>>27663923
I hope due to exponential growth technology improves at an insane rate in my lifetime but I doubt it, people in the 60s thought we would be a spacefaring civilization by now
>>
>>27663690
It nice in a way to see how people react differently to this, the same thing that you find scary, that you will never know if anything exists outside you perception, it's kinda liberating for me in a way. I'm one of those people that can actually follow that "If you can solve it why worry about it, and you can't solve it why worry about it".
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.